MO MO - Betty Alexander, 69, Sullivan, 11 April 2019

I’m guessing the sons have Power of Attorney and a Power of Attorney for Healthcare which means they can legally do what they did. Take control of her personal effects, finances, healthcare plans, etc. Not that it needed to be done immediately but that is their choice if they are the P.O.A.

In the comments at the Bring Betty Home page under that post starting out with “So it's pretty sad how family acts during..” the daughter has stated the claim in response to someone questioning it:
I do have POA on mom for medical and financial.”

In the comments at the Bring Betty Home page under that post starting out with “So it's pretty sad how family acts during..” the daughter has stated the claim in response to someone questioning it:
I do have POA on mom for medical and financial.”
No wonder LE is questioning the sons, and probably their wives if I had to guess.

Dementia and Alzheimer's are complex diseases. There are progression stages where some behaviors can be expected and some are solely unique to the individual.

The Seven Stages Of Dementia

Working in the medical field, I have seen anything and everything. What one is adamant on one day, can be the complete opposite the next. It is an absolutely heartbreaking disease. I have deep compassion and empathy for ones that are going through it and for the family members as well.

MOO
Thanks for the link. It's a good, basic overview.
If Betty was indeed in one of the earlier stages of dementia, wandering certainly does seem to be much less of an issue, if any, than if she were in the later stage. That simply makes her disappearance even more strange, to me.
Praying for Betty!

No wonder LE is questioning the sons, and probably their wives if I had to guess.

Oh, really, they are being questioned, as a result? I missed that.

The way I thought (just tried to imagine in my mind and from what I understood) what might be going on was the brothers cleaned out the apt since the police were done with investigating the apt, and that the mom’s lease was up at the end of the month. I questioned whether they knew the PI wanted to take another look, since sister admits she didn’t always keep them informed of everything.
Sister has said: “I know the police didn’t have anything else they wanted to process but now that the PI is involved he still was processing it.”

Admittedly, the stealth part of it/changing the lock is strange, but I wish we knew the story from the brothers’ side. I hate to believe of any wrongful intent going on with her own brothers.

Oh, really, they are being questioned, as a result? I missed that.

The way I thought (just tried to imagine in my mind and from what I understood) what might be going on was the brothers cleaned out the apt since the police were done with investigating the apt, and that the mom’s lease was up at the end of the month. I questioned whether they knew the PI wanted to take another look, since sister admits she didn’t always keep them informed of everything.
Sister has said: “I know the police didn’t have anything else they wanted to process but now that the PI is involved he still was processing it.”

Admittedly, the stealth part of it/changing the lock is strange, but I wish we knew the story from the brothers’ side. I hate to believe of any wrongful intent going on with her own brothers.

Did they know she was missing when they did all this? If so, that's a pretty stupid maneuver -- change the locks so if by chance she tried to come back home she wouldn't be able to get in, if she did get in then ALL of her stuff would be gone? Seems like something that could further confuse and/or confound a dementia or Alzheimer's patient.

Did they know she was missing when they did all this? If so, that's a pretty stupid maneuver -- change the locks so if by chance she tried to come back home she wouldn't be able to get in, if she did get in then ALL of her stuff would be gone? Seems like something that could further confuse and/or confound a dementia or Alzheimer's patient.

Betty was last seen April 11th.

The other siblings moved Betty's belongings out of her apartment May 17.

The police had cleared the scene/house.

Per the daughter on Bring Betty Home, she stated that once their Mother was found that Mom "would need to either move in with me or have an in-home caregiver there with her."

MOO

Betty was last seen April 11th.

The other siblings moved Betty's belongings out of her apartment May 17.

The police had cleared the scene/house.

Per the daughter on Bring Betty Home, she stated that once their Mother was found that Mom "would need to either move in with me or have an in-home caregiver there with her."

MOO

My bad, I thought she was last seen May 11th.

Is LE questioning the siblings in regard to them moving Betty's belongings out of the apartment or is that a seed that the one female sibling is publicly planting? Do we have a link on that? What a devastating rumor if there is no merit.

I may stand alone on this but I don't see anything wrong with them moving Betty's items out of the apartment over a month after she was last seen. Police cleared the apartment.

This is touchy stuff and with difficult decisions, but when would it be appropriate to move said items out...2 months, 4, when the daughter gave approval, when would that be?
Who handles the bills, all the monies? In regards to the family, where do the responsibilities and tasks typically end up falling during trying times, who is the decision maker, who sees things through, who is of most sound mind? Have the siblings ever seen eye to eye?

Family dynamics can be painful in private but it adds a whole new layer when it goes public. I won't be revisiting the FB page.

MOO

Is LE questioning the siblings in regard to them moving Betty's belongings out of the apartment or is that a seed that the one female sibling is publicly planting? Do we have a link on that? What a devastating rumor if there is no merit.

I may stand alone on this but I don't see anything wrong with them moving Betty's items out of the apartment over a month after she was last seen. Police cleared the apartment.

This is touchy stuff and with difficult decisions, but when would it be appropriate to move said items out...2 months, 4, when the daughter gave approval, when would that be?
Who handles the bills, all the monies? In regards to the family, where do the responsibilities and tasks typically end up falling during trying times, who is the decision maker, who sees things through, who is of most sound mind? Have the siblings ever seen eye to eye?

Family dynamics can be painful in private but it adds a whole new layer when it goes public. I won't be revisiting the FB page.

MOO
Betty was last seen May 11th, apartment emptied May 17th. That was after LE released the scene but prior to the PI releasing the scene. Rent was paid thru May 31. If my timeline is incorrect, please advise.

The person calling the shots should be, legally, the person(s) with P.O.A. It’s possible there is a POA and a backup POA. There’s no telling who is who because we are outsiders with front row seats to the show.

Keep hoping Betty is found and brought home so she can Rest In Peace along side her husband. The kids are mad but they have the rest of their lives to get glad. Their behavior is on them.

Betty was last seen May 11th, apartment emptied May 17th. That was after LE released the scene but prior to the PI releasing the scene. Rent was paid thru May 31. If my timeline is incorrect, please advise.

The person calling the shots should be, legally, the person(s) with P.O.A. It’s possible there is a POA and a backup POA. There’s no telling who is who because we are outsiders with front row seats to the show.

Keep hoping Betty is found and brought home so she can Rest In Peace along side her husband. The kids are mad but they have the rest of their lives to get glad. Their behavior is on them.

The original articles all say April 11th was the last day she was seen.

Sad case. In short, Bob was a widowed millionaire with suspected elder abuse surrounding him in regards to him giving/spending his money.
Were the Alexander's well off?
MOO

Bolded by me.
Doesn’t sound like it. In the comments under the unfortunate thread on the BBH fb page, it was mentioned (by brother or otherwise family member) the apt was subsidized housing, if I’m remembering correctly.

So very sad! My family comes from Sullivan and this area, years ago.

Mine, too. My aunts and uncles probably went to high school with Betty. My grandparents were probably friends with their parents. This is very sad. Sullivan is a small, close-knit community. Most people Betty's age have lived there most of their lives.

There is a state park with a river nearby. Probably 3 to 5 miles to the river. I still think it's odd that even with a delirium state of mind, betty could have made it with out help. Not impossible though. Even though the glasses were left and shoes, etc. Doesn't mean she didn't have anything on. The open door suggests nothing really, to many variables. But there is a train track near by, so make a person wonder about suicide and dragged by train? In my line of work, families know more than they tell wether good or bad.

Meramec State Park is a possibility. The park wouldn't have had many visitors on a weekday that early in the year. If she wandered off, a closer possibility would be the big stretch of woods between the south side of the city and Pump Hollow Rd. All Betty would have needed to do is go out past the fire station to South Church St., turn left and follow it to the end behind the elementary school. The woods begin right there and are very dense with a long stretch downhill. In mid-April, she may have wanted to go mushroom hunting, there are a lot of morel mushrooms in that area. She may have wandered quite a distance back there.

Google Maps

Did searchers do a thorough search of those woods?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back