ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lynne DiSanto did a FB live video about an hour ago sharing that the Polly Klaas Foundation contacted her and that they are going to help with Serenity's case. Lynne mentioned them creating a poster, raising awareness by sharing Serenity's story, and by sharing the one video that Lynne did that told some of Serenity's story. It isn't posted on her YouTube yet but she said she just hopped on quick to tell people so maybe she will add it later. I couldn't get a link to just the video on FB or I would have shared it, sorry.

Here's something else that has crossed my mind: I wonder how the child who did the distracting, so Serenity could accomplish her get away, is doing. He/she must feel a lot of guilt.

For a child seeking attention, even bad attention is better than no attention.

I've long believed Serenity only intended to be outside until she got hungry or her bladder called-- but never when it got dark which would be late afternoon. I'm curious what she told her friend -- the look out. Do we know?

SBM

Serenity's adoptive mom and her husband and bio dad were at the vigil and also attended the search that Lynne organized.

Bio dad and Adoptive mom were at the bday event..

There are pictures on Lynne's FB and they are also mentioned in the videos.

The Dennards have voiced their opinions according to Lynne (again on her FB page) so it is unlikely they or those close to them would attend an event put on by Lynne based on what Lynne says.

I agree. They also backed up the home and did not give interviews to anyone about how she came to be placed there by them without the adoptive mom knowing, etc. for a very long time.

Not a judgment, just facts as I recall them. All of the other parents that had been in her life did.

Three of four parents and their families seem to be supportive of each other and talking.

Again, not a judgment, just known to be the case whatever the reasons.

I agree. They also backed up the home and did not give interviews to anyone about how she came to be placed there by them without the adoptive mom knowing, etc. for a very long time.

Not a judgment, just facts as I recall them. All of the other parents that had been in her life did.

Three of four parents and their families seem to be supportive of each other and talking.

Again, not a judgment, just known to be the case whatever the reasons.
I think it would be three of six parents are supportive of each other and taking---adoptive mom and her husband (the step dad), and bio dad. The other three are bio mom, adoptive dad, and his wife (the step mother).

Anyway.............so the adoptive parents divorced in early 2015, the adoptive dad had physical custody, and they had joint legal custody. Adoptive mom claims the dad moved at some point and she didn't know where, so lost contact with Serenity. So, my question is----when did that happen? Did it happen late in 2015 so the adoptive mom hasn't had any contact with Serenity in 4 yrs? Or was it in 2016 so she hasn't had contact with her in 3 yrs? How long has it been? I think it's odd that that information is no where to be found and no one is asking. (Although I think Lynne did ask during the interview with her but she didn't answer the question).

Another question I have is: When a child is adopted, doesn't the adoption agency follow up to see how the family and child are doing? I would think there would be follow up visits for a couple of years, at least, on a regular basis. No?

ETA: And if the adoptive mom didn't know where the adoptive dad was with Serenity, wouldn't the adoption agency have to be apprised of where he was with her? It's just hard to believe the adoptive mom had joint legal custody, didn't know where the dad had moved with her, and she had no way of finding out.

Last edited:
Going back to the interview the adoptive mom and her husband did with Lynne------the purpose of the interview seemed to be to tell everyone a little bit about Serenity and ask people who watched, to be on the look out for her. So, instead of bringing some Barbie dolls and a trinket box to the interview, why didn't they bring a picture of Serenity to show to the viewing audience? Isn't that what's normally done when you're asking people to be on the look out for a missing child?

Going back to the interview the adoptive mom and her husband did with Lynne------the purpose of the interview seemed to be to tell everyone a little bit about Serenity and ask people who watched, to be on the look out for her. So, instead of bringing some Barbie dolls and a trinket box to the interview, why didn't they bring a picture of Serenity to show to the viewing audience? Isn't that what's normally done when you're asking people to be on the look out for a missing child?

I think she had some notes hidden behind the Frozen (that still gets to me) box.

I just checked the website for Children's Home Society in South Dakota, they are still open. There is a picture of Serenity on their website.

I hope that their policies and procedures have changed so that this won't happen again. Maybe putting up a locked fence, for outside recreational activities or having the entire facility within a gated enclosure is definitely recommended. No judgment here, unfortunately, the world needs a place for kids who don't fit anywhere else.

I just checked the website for Children's Home Society in South Dakota, they are still open. There is a picture of Serenity on their website.

I hope that their policies and procedures have changed so that this won't happen again. Maybe putting up a locked fence, for outside recreational activities or having the entire facility within a gated enclosure is definitely recommended. No judgment here, unfortunately, the world needs a place for kids who don't fit anywhere else.
I wonder how much of 55 million $ constitutes a 'small portion'. I would think it would be enough to build an enclosure.
Black Hills Children's Home Society receives a small portion from $55 million donation

It's very easy for someone who has never experienced something so traumatic as a child who can not be loved to wellness to have an unrealistic opinion as to how to handle broken babies - broken for whatever reason. Serenity obviously had people who cared about and loved her enough to try to get her the help she needed. She was very smart but too young to realize the consequences of her last escape. Whatever happened to Serenity and whatever the reason for her bolting, I doubt seriously that it was because she wasn't loved. Sometimes these stories remain tragedies for EVERYONE involved, including all of us here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk