CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confuzzled. How did it happen that the DT sat back and let the PT examine Lauren Knowles?

They couldn’t stop the prosecution from calling her at some time, and, the way this trial has dragged on, to demand a short day to accommodate their witnesses, might have made the judge really annoyed.

They might even have thought that her testimony would have less effect, sandwiched between two defense witnesses—do we know who else they’re going to call?

All wild speculation on my part—I’m confuzzled, too.

I am confuzzled. How did it happen that the DT sat back and let the PT examine Lauren Knowles?
I don't think they had a choice. It was a scheduling issue. And that is why their witness today was so far past their other witnesses because of their own scheduling issues.

I thought it was perfect timing for the State. The jury watched two days of Rudin, the bumbling math professor, not really nailing anything down. Saying he needed more data, further investigation to make a final determination...

Then BOOM....LK on the stand placing DK in Hawaii. And I don't think they did any major damage in cross, or we would have seen tweets about it. I haven't watched that last part yet though.

I think it was a lucky stroke for the prosecution. It made the defense look really silly today when they put up that boarding pass and the picture on her IG of her and DK in Hawaii . :p
Okay, not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth (where did that saying come from, BTW?:D) but if the PT can produce her boarding pass why haven't they been able to provide DK's? My guess is she still had hers, DK didn't and too much time has passed and the records were no longer available via the airline or other agencies for them to get their hands on DK's.

ETA: I wish they would've had her testify in the very first days. Doing so could've saved hours/days of unnecessary testimony, IMO.

Okay, not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth (where did that saying come from, BTW?:D) but if the PT can produce her boarding pass why haven't they been able to provide DK's? My guess is she still had hers, DK didn't and too much time has passed and the records were no longer available via the airline or other agencies for them to get their hands on DK's.

I can see why that would be. She probably has vacation scrap books or journals, unlike her ex boyfriend. My daughter keeps stuff like that, my son tosses it at the airport trash can.

I don't think they had a choice. It was a scheduling issue. And that is why their witness today was so far past their other witnesses because of their own scheduling issues.

I thought it was perfect timing for the State. The jury watched two days of Rudin, the bumbling math professor, not really nailing anything down. Saying he needed more data, further investigation to make a final determination...

Then BOOM....LK on the stand placing DK in Hawaii. And I don't think they did any major damage in cross, or we would have seen tweets about it. I haven't watched that last part yet though.
Thanks. Didn't realize it was a scheduling issue. Do you mean the DT has more witnesses but they weren't available? I thought Dr. Rudin was their final witness and we had moved on to rebuttal. Guess not.

Here are some t6weets about the cross by Maline:

40m40 minutes ago
#McStay - Under Cross-examination by Rajan Maline he showed Lauren a series of emails between her and Dan Kavanaugh There was an email on Jan 28, 2010 from Lauren to Dan Kavanaugh "When are you coming back?" The were no other emails between them until March 5, 2010.
37m37 minutes ago
#McStay - When asked where she was asking DK to come back from (last tweet, 1/28 email) Lauren said she didn't know then said, "It was probably something like the store." But, said she doesn't remember.

#McStay - Maline asked Knowles if she recalled in 2016 when an investigator came to her mother's house. She said yes, her mother told her that. Maline: "Did you reach out and contact us after our investigator was there?" Knowles said her mom never gave her any contact info.

#McStay - Knowles said her mother only said a detective (it was defense investigator) had come by. Maline asked her why she didn't ask her mother why that person came by. She said, "I had a feeling what it was about but I didn't have any contact information".

#McStay - Lauren Knowles told detectives in 2014 she & Dan Kavanaugh didn't have money when they were in Hawaii. "Oh God, not at all. We had like no money..." Maline: "What about when you got back from Hawaii? Was Dan spending money frivolously?" Knowles: "I believe so, yes."

20m20 minutes ago
#McStay - Maline: "Did you wonder where Dan Kavanaugh got all that money when you got back?" Prosecutor: Objection, relevance. Judge: Sustained, calls for speculation Maline: "Did Dan tell you where he got all the money?" Prosecutor: Objection -sustained

16m16 minutes ago
#McStay - Maline asked how DK got money, "He worked selling water fountains." Do you know who he worked for? "He was currently being bought out by Joey."

#McStay - Maline: He told you Joseph still owed him money? Objection, hearsay, sustained. Maline: Do you know if Mr. Kavanaugh accessed Joseph's bank accounts. Objection. Sustained.

15m15 minutes ago
#McStay - The defense told the judge they DO have more witnesses for tomorrow. A juror has to leave by 3pm. Court will be in session 10am-3pm tomorrow. Looks like no closing arguments this week.

If this case wasn't so extremely serious just by reading your post one would believe it came right out of a comedy central skits. The jury's heads had to be spinning.

And this is the witness the DT picked to ended their case with? Omg!!

Jmhoo
FPS they are throwing themselves under the bus to save their client (shades of Jose Baez ala Casey Anthony).! SMH

I think it was kind of funny seeing Maline going after poor Laura Knowles, asking her suspiciously how her ex bf made his money and how he suddenly had more cash when they returned home...etc

If DK was in Hawaii, then none of those questions are relevant. But they still kept going at her, like a dog with a bone...'Why did you ask him when he was coming back? '

Is the jury supposed to believe that he snuck back to Cali, during that time? They have shown no evidence of that, other than one out of context email.

ETA: I wish they would've had her testify in the very first days. Doing so could've saved hours/days of unnecessary testimony, IMO.

I am thrilled they left her for the end. That was smart strategy by the Pros.

By leaving her to the end, they allowed the defense to waste their time and resources, pointing their finger at the other guy, and using much of their cross examination time, discussing DK's possible guilt, instead of trying to show that their client was innocent.

As Mr Jitty pointed out, they spent more time in their OS on DK than they did on their clients assumed innocence. They never even said he was innocent, just said others were the guilty ones.

Last edited:

By leaving her to the end, they allowed the defense to waste their time and resources, pointing their finger at the other guy, and using much of their cross examination time, discussing DK's possible guilt, instead of trying to show that their client was innocent.

As Mr Jitty pointed out, they spent more time in their OS on DK than they did on their clients assumed innocence. They never even said he was innocent, just said others were the guilty ones.
Excellent points. I didn't really think about it like that. Taking DK out of the mix sure makes their already weak defense virtually nonexistent.

With regard to DK spending money frivolously I hope the PT asks if that's how DK typically spends even though he should be being more responsible and saving money, paying bills, etc. Many kids that age don't think ahead. If they have a pocket full of money they live in the moment.

Excellent points. I didn't really think about it like that. Taking DK out of the mix sure makes their already weak defense virtually nonexistent.

With regard to DK spending money frivolously I hope the PT asks if that's how DK typically spends even though he should be being more responsible and saving money, paying bills, etc. Many kids that age don't think ahead. If they have a pocket full of money they live in the moment.

I forget—was that email from Joey entered into evidence? The one where he says that DK spends his money frivolously. That was a 2009 letter, wasn’t it?

Remember Joey saying about he being older with a family and responsibilities, and Dan a young guy living like a rock star.
That was in the transcript when DK & JM had the falling out, posted upthread.

I think DK would have to testify to lay the foundation for the boarding pass to be shown? Or someone from the airline. @mrjitty probably knows. Doubt DT wants DK to testify, then the PT could produce his boarding pass and lay it completely to rest.

For a while I've thought this was strategy on the PT's part, let the defense waste most of their case trying to blame it on Dan, then in rebuttal - kabam! proof that DK couldn't have done it.

LOL Like minds!

I'm just guessing, but I am sure this is what the defense will say ... if they can produce one, where is the other, and they will say the same about Dan, they could produce her, but not him? We may know why they are or aren't calling him, but the jury doesn't.

I also haven't had time to listen to it yet and won't be able to for a few hours yet, so only going off of what I have read here and tweets. The one day we get a full day of testimony and it has to be a night that I have other things that I need to get things done? LOL argggggh!

It's been a long while since I've posted here. I remember joining WS back in the day, when the family was still missing. I am totally intrigued by this case. Happy to see that it has made its way to trial and that someone is being held accountable. I must say, while I have not posted in a long time, I've been keeping up with the trial updates and I am not wholeheartedly convinced that the PT has proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt. I know, its not a popular opinion but like I said, based on the evidence presented, I remain uncertain. I'll be honest, I don't like Chase Merritt's character, period end of story. Do I hope that he is found guilty BARD, sure. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, then it must be a...duck. And while I do believe in coincidences, the coincidences in this case, are a bit much. JMO

I think DK would have to testify to lay the foundation for the boarding pass to be shown? Or someone from the airline. @mrjitty probably knows. Doubt DT wants DK to testify, then the PT could produce his boarding pass and lay it completely to rest.

For a while I've thought this was strategy on the PT's part, let the defense waste most of their case trying to blame it on Dan, then in rebuttal - kabam! proof that DK couldn't have done it.

I would think that a LE officer could have testified to lay foundation for a boarding pass, if they had it or a copy of it. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77