CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only just noticed this @Niner !

Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith

What a stand up guy!
The AKA's could be names he's used in other states. I would love to know what the backstory is to these. We know he's lied in the past. He did give his sister's address when he was ticketed in 2011 but he didn't live there. These names could also be typos? Although "Mandel" is really a stretch for that.

Last edited:
At this point, I don't think some people would believe DK was in Hawaii no matter how much evidence was produced. The DT is going to challenge everything about DK instead of providing a solid alibi for their client.
As a juror, I'd be wondering why CM DOESN'T have an alibi for the crucial days needed. I'd wonder why he's NOT taking the stand. Sure, he doesn't have to take the stand, but his audio and video "testimony" is ridiculous.

The important question is "why doesn't DK take the stand", not "why doesn't CM take the stand". Makes sense, right?

The AKA's could be names he's used in other states. I would love to know what the backstory is to these. We know he's lied in the past. He did give his sister's address when he was ticketed in 2011 but he didn't live there. These names could also be typos? Although "Mandel" is really a stretch for that.

In my book, really similar names are simply typos; otherwise, what's the point. However, Mandel is interesting.

I think back to the early days of this case when the family were still "missing" and we were examining every nook and cranny for a minutest hint of what had happened. There were millions(!) of posts about Summer's various names and how they were "aliases". Really, though, they were all things that were various versions of her various life "iterations": Biological family, adopted family, singleness, married"ness", etc.

Of course this case is a death penalty case that requires a jury of 12, but have you ever noticed most criminal defendants prefer jury trials over bench trials?

There is a very good reason for that. The juries aren't aware of the underhanded shenanigans attorneys pull like Maline has done throughout this trial. Imo.

However, it doesn't work in bench trials when the presiding judges are already very aware of all the dirty tricks they try to pull on the jury, and will not tolerate it nor any of the courtroom drama acting out either.

I've watched a few over the years. It's different as night, and day from jury trials.

The attorneys know they better present just the facts, and move along or they will be dressed down for wasting the judges time.

Imo, if JS had been the bench trier of facts, CM would not already been in prison, but he would be sitting on death row by now.

JS has succinctly laid out the facts stating there's sufficient evidence entered by the state where the jury could find CM guilty BARD.

That was before the DT put on their case, and in it they havent been able to refute the most important evidence that still points directly to CM, and no one else. Imoo.

JMO

The important question is "why doesn't DK take the stand", not "why doesn't CM take the stand". Makes sense, right?
Because he's not on trial, he has always had an alibi, CM SAID he only knew of DK always being in Hawaii, and if I was being sucked into a murder trial as a POI after I had been cleared by LE, I wouldn't testify either.
DK doesn't need to explain forged checks, pings in Fallbrook or the high desert, money he owed Joey, which story is correct for February 4th, which story is correct about feeding the dogs, etc., etc.

Yes, so many unknown variables can come into play.

It's not called recreation or reenactment for no reason. Every single thing must be as it originally was at the time. Therein lays the big problem.

I do not believe JS would have allowed a reenactment to come no matter if the state or defense did one at this late date, and presented it to him for his approval. Especially knowing nothing stays exactly the same 9 years later.

Perhaps if both sides had done one right after the murders happened, when CM still owed the vehicle in its original condition back then, and everything was exactly the same on the night of the 4th as far as camera, environment, foliage,etc., he may have allowed it to come in.

I feel the jury wanted to see the truck for more reasons than to just see if it matched the images.

Imo, they know now it was very capable of transporting two dead adults, and two dead small boys when CM transported them to the desert to bury in this truck.

Imoo

Last edited:
In my book, really similar names are simply typos; otherwise, what's the point. However, Mandel is interesting.

I think back to the early days of this case when the family were still "missing" and we were examining every nook and cranny for a minutest hint of what had happened. There were millions(!) of posts about Summer's various names and how they were "aliases". Really, though, they were all things that were various versions of her various life "iterations": Biological family, adopted family, singleness, married"ness", etc.
But do you think they would leave a typo on an incorrect legal document without rectifying it if it wasn't correct?
It specifically states AKA and that is also known as:
Plaintiff vs.Charles Ray Merritt ,aka Charles Ray Mandel,aka Charles Ray Morritt,aka Chase Meredith Defendant

Probably nothing LOL He was not paid to be there the last few days as far as I know, he was not a defense expert, he was there under subpoena. And Imes didn't ask. :D lol

If he was subpoenaed then one side or the other had to have subpoenaed him. That's the way subpoenas work.

He certainly wasn't there to testify for the state. If so, they would have done the direct examination instead of cross examination.

DR was there because the DT subpeoned him. That's why he testified during their CIC.

Witnesses don't just show up not knowing which side they are going to testify for. It just doesn't work that way.

Imo, the DT owns DR as their witness, and what he testified to in their case.

Imoo

But do you think they would leave a typo on an incorrect legal document without rectifying it if it wasn't correct?
It specifically states AKA and that is also known as:
Plaintiff vs.Charles Ray Merritt ,aka Charles Ray Mandel,aka Charles Ray Morritt,aka Chase Meredith Defendant
I don't recall which document I saw it on now but Merritt also used the name of Chase Jarvis.

If he was subpoena then one side or the other had to subpoenaed him.

He certainly wasn't there to testify for the state. If so, they would have done the direct examination instead of cross examination.

DR was there because the DT subpeoned him. That's why he testified during their CIC.

Witnesses don't just show up not knowing which side they are going to testify for. It just doesn't work that way.

Imo, the DT owns DR as their witness, and what he testified to in their case.

Imoo

ok? LOL I know he was subpoenaed because I listened to the audio yesterday. I'm not questioning it. I don't think the defense will mind "owning" his opinion. JMO

This has to be tongue in cheek sarcasm! Lol! Good one, FB.

Because it doesn't make a lick of sense to me that anyone would want DK to take the stand instead of the cold blooded murderer himself.

However CM is not going to take the stand. Sigh. How I wish he would.

As far as DK, who is not on trial, I imagine he's in HI enjoying the surf like he enjoys doing, and living life to the fullest like everyone else tries to do.

Jmo

ok? LOL I know he was subpoenaed because I listened to the audio yesterday. I'm not questioning it. I don't think the defense will mind "owning" his opinion. JMO

Okay. It confused me because you said in your prior post he wasn't a defense expet witness when he was one.

Lol! I dont think the DT have any choice in the matter about them owning DRs testimony.

Jmo

I think that is a ridiculous idea. Who knows what kind of changes the truck has gone through in past 9 years? Different battery, different light panels, bulbs etc etc.

And you could never duplicate the exact conditions of the original footage, so it wouldn't be totally accurate.

You have no idea what the camera has been through and how different it might be now too. You cannot compare the footage from 9 years ago to something you 'recreate' this many years later.

Even the driveway and the surrounding environment, lights, etc, will be very different.

It would be foolhardy for either side to agree to such a stunt.

It would not be a definitive answer as to the vehicle in the footage from 9 years ago.

ESPECIALLY, when it's not even known that he used his own truck. The guy is a known thief, he could've easily stolen one.

ESPECIALLY, when it's not even known that he used his own truck. The guy is a known thief, he could've easily stolen one.
Yes i agree it may not necessarily have been his truck that night. And also if he drove the Trooper to the border and dumped it there, was there another vehicle with someone helping him close by to pick him up? Or how did he get home afterwards? And by someone helping him i don't mean DK, but someone who was close to him.

Yes i agree it may not necessarily have been his truck that night. And also if he drove the Trooper to the border and dumped it there, was there another vehicle with someone helping him close by to pick him up? Or how did he get home afterwards? And by someone helping him i don't mean DK, but someone who was close to him.

BBM

That is my pondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members