IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 Smollett indicted”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge orders unsealing of documents in Jussie Smollett case

CHICAGO (FOX 32) - A Cook County judge ordered Thursday that all court documents regarding the Jussie Smollett case be unsealed to the media.

Attorneys for Smollett, who was accused of staging a racist, anti-gay attack on himself, moved to seal the "Empire" actor's court records in March after prosecutors unexpectedly dropped all charges against him.

Media attorneys requested Cook County Judge Steven Watkins unseal Smollett's case file, arguing that the Smollett saga is now so well known that there is no reason to conceal the records regarding his arrest.

Watkins said in his order Thursday that Smollett's lawyers had argued that since the case was dismissed, Smollett had "the right to be left alone."

Watkins wrote that Smollett "voluntarily appeared on national television for an interview speaking about the incident in detail" and that on "several occasions, attorneys for defendant, presumably with his authorization, appeared on various media outlets speaking about the case."

Attorneys for Smollett, however, argued that he is entitled -- like thousands of other defendants -- to have his arrest records sealed or even expunged.

Attorney Brian Watson argued that unsealing Smollett's files would create a "dangerous, dangerous precedent." He said that it is unfair for the media to make someone a celebrity, and then use that celebrity status to obtain records that are typically sealed.
Nice!

Attorney Brian Watson argued that unsealing Smollett's files would create a "dangerous, dangerous precedent." He said that it is unfair for the media to make someone a celebrity, and then use that celebrity status to obtain records that are typically sealed.

Is it fair if celebrity status was what the "victim" wanted all along?

Media is stating that Jussie Smollett wanted the records sealed so that he could 'move on' with his life after his faked attack.

I do hope that justice is served soon!!
me too.. uh, ok ...Jussie- cry me a river. He wants the records sealed because he doesn't want the truth out.... but we already know.. Imo

Last edited:
Justice isn't going to be served. Not legally.

@gitana1, I've never heard of a retired judge sending out subpoenas and requesting a trial. Is this normal and does she have the right to do this?

Several people are avoiding being served. Does this mean they don't have to show up?

This is all new to me....

Wait. What's this?

A retired judge who is calling for a special prosecutor to investigate the Jussie Smollett case in Chicago filed a number of court motions Tuesday, including one that seeks to bar the Cook County state’s attorney from using public lawyers in the legal fight.

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/22/retired-judge-calls-for-special-prosecutor-to-probe-smollett-case/

Tina Tchen, the former chief of staff to first lady Michelle Obama, declined Wednesday to be served with a subpoena by a retired Illinois judge seeking the appointment of a special prosecutor in the Jussie Smollett case, according to the process server.
The subpoena would have required Tchen to appear at a May 31 hearing on O'Brien's request for a special prosecutor and provide "any and all documents, notes, phone records, texts, tape recordings made or received at any time, concerning your conversations with [Cook County State's Attorney] Kim Foxx in re: Jussie Smollett."

Onetime Michelle Obama staffer evades subpoena in Smollett-Foxx case, process server says

Holy smokes! I knew nothing about this!!! VERY unusual. I don't know how a retired judge can do it. I will look into this more when I get a chance.

I haven't looked for information -- but is this an honorably retired judge, who fills in to prevent a back-up when another judge is out of town/ill?

Years ago I lived in a state that created a 'Super Circuit.' On a rotation, judges from every circuit traveled to a city with a huge court backlog, in order to provide justice for citizens & clear the backlog. IIRC, some retired judges were involved.

JMHO YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member