IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 Smollett indicted”

Status
Not open for further replies.
unbelievable, so does that mean Foxx won't release the files. She stated she wanted full transparency...but I believe she was trying to save face. Imo

Right, it is going back to Foxx...why?

"June 3 pencilled in as a release date, this now moves everything back once again to the office of highly criticized Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, who will determine exactly how documents like police files and more will be doled out. Foxx controversially recused herself from the Smollett case because of a connection with a member of the actor’s family."

Kim Foxx will determine how documents are doled out? Talk about putting the "Foxx" in charge of the henhouse!

I haven't looked for information -- but is this an honorably retired judge, who fills in to prevent a back-up when another judge is out of town/ill?

Years ago I lived in a state that created a 'Super Circuit.' On a rotation, judges from every circuit traveled to a city with a huge court backlog, in order to provide justice for citizens & clear the backlog. IIRC, some retired judges were involved.

JMHO YMMV

She is filing, herself. She's not the judge on the case.

She subpoena several, including Ms. Foxx, Jussie, and Tina Tchen, the former chief of staff to first lady Michelle Obama. She is asking for a special prosecutor to investigate their actions.

I never heard of this and we've ask an attorney on WS, and again, never heard of this.

Don't know under what law, but is must be civil. O'Brien has requested they use their personal funds for the case and not be allowed to use government funds.

Right, it is going back to Foxx...why?

"June 3 pencilled in as a release date, this now moves everything back once again to the office of highly criticized Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, who will determine exactly how documents like police files and more will be doled out. Foxx controversially recused herself from the Smollett case because of a connection with a member of the actor’s family."

Kim Foxx will determine how documents are doled out? Talk about putting the "Foxx" in charge of the henhouse!

JMO, they release 400 pages and include 6 words that aren't redacted.

I am not sure how she has standing to file a petition to have a special prosecutor review the case and how it was handled. But there must be a precedent for it and she must be able to do it or she wouldn't.

And I am all for it. This was a miscarriage of justice which hurts people who really are victims of hate crimes. It also is an example of the rich getting away with crimes.

I know some don't care because black people in our country have a different and unequal system of justice to contend with that sees them arrested more often, charged more harshly, found guilty more often and sentenced far more severely for the same acts as everyone else. That's fact that has been determined in study after study after study.

But I do care because first, he's a wealthy celebrity and color stops mattering as much the richer and more famous someone is and second, we need to fix what needs to be fixed but breaking something isn't the way to do that. And letting this insane liar off breaks the system IMO.

Just out of curiosity, I read JSs' Wiki page. He certainly is a study in contrasts. He pulled this 'stunt' supposedly to get more attention, had the papers sealed so that he'd get no more attention and now, he's got more attention than I think he ever bargained for. If you read his Wiki page, you'll see other contrasts in his life.

BTW, it has not been updated about the recent legal 'stuff', if anyone knows/cares to keep it current. Just saying.....

Are you sitting down?

We have even more lawyers wearing fake mustaches and exiting their offices using the fire escape to avoid getting served! Now Geragos and Co. won’t accept service.

They think the lawsuit the bros filed against them is a ‘parody’ and ‘comical’ so they have chosen to ignore it. Yeah...allow me to introduce you to your client, Jussie Smollett. He paid the bros to beat him up, put a noose around his neck, and (allegedly) mailed himself death threats. He called himself the “gay Tupac.” Geragos claimed the bros could have been wearing whiteface stage makeup during the attack. Maybe going the “We’re so above this silliness” route isn’t such a good idea.

The brothers’ lawyer has asked that a judge have service performed by a U.S. Marshal.

The hubris and entitlement of everyone involved in this fiasco is unbelievable!

Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo filed their federal lawsuit against Mark Geragos, Tina Glandian and the Geragos & Geragos Law Firm one month ago.

But the New York office, where Glandian practices, allegedly refused to accept the certified mail “on more than one occasion.”

Meanwhile, Geragos and Glandian have derided the lawsuit as “comical,” a “parody,” and “lawyer driven nonsense,” Tunick’s motion notes.

The issue could make its way into U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly’s courtroom May 30.

Bodybuilding brothers say Jussie Smollett’s lawyers are ducking them

WTH?

"I don't want a subpoena...". La La La, they can't serve me...the criminal thinking here is epic.

The rest of us would be considered in Contempt of Court, and end up with a bench warrant. Seriously, how long can they do this?

So true and the Judge didn't buy it!

I love that brave sensible judge...

me too.. uh, ok ...Jussie- cry me a river. He wants the records sealed because he doesn't want the truth out.... but we already know.. Imo

Yeah, I'm with the judge... "I want the "facts of the case to be known", says Smollett... "but only if "facts being known", means "I spin truth and make up fake facts in an attempt to muddy the waters so people don't know whether they're coming or going".

Are you sitting down?

We have even more lawyers wearing fake mustaches and exiting their offices using the fire escape to avoid getting served! Now Geragos and Co. won’t accept service.

Well, I agree with @Laughing , that "they'd know from lawyer-driven nonsense..."

As for Kim Foxx, I think June 3 a fine time for a FOIA request or ten from the honorable members of the Fourth and/or Fifth Estates... Chicago Tribune please copy.

I am not sure how she has standing to file a petition to have a special prosecutor review the case and how it was handled. But there must be a precedent for it and she must be able to do it or she wouldn't.

ETA to add: Speaking of the Tribune, they have answered:

Anyone can petition the courts for the appointment of a special prosecutor and subpoena big shots to appear in front of a judge.

I, for one, was misled by the fact that Sheila O’Brien, the woman behind the effort to bring Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx to account for her handling of the Smollett case, was not just anyone, but a retired Illinois Appellate Court judge.

I assumed she had special standing in the legal system to formally issue a call for the appointment of a special prosecutor, but no. “I’m just a private citizen,” she said when I reached out to ask about it. Her initiative was put on hold Thursday when Cook County Judge LeRoy Martin Jr. agreed to consider O’Brien’s demand that he recuse himself from the case because his son works as a prosecutor in Foxx’s office.

“I’m just a private citizen acting as a private citizen,” she said. “It’s actually a user-friendly system if you know your way around it. If you have a case, you can subpoena people — I served mine myself — then they can file to have the subpoena quashed (as Foxx has), and it goes from there.”

More here: Citizen Sheila O'Brien shows that you, too, can demand a special prosecutor

It seems like the justice system in Chicago merits review from the FBI. It is like pre-civil rights era deep south "justice", only opposite. That is a problem. Lady Justice has a blindfold, as it should be, but evidently this is missing in Chicago.

This investigation on Smollett may get even bigger than just the issue of dropping charges against Smollett. Kim Foxx may have a Pandora's Box of problems.

Tina Tchen stepping up fight to quash Jussie Smollett subpoena

Tina states that retired judge has no standing to issue subpoenas or appoint special prosecutor. Hmmm, for a proceeding with no standing, Tina didn't want a subpoena, as a matter of fact, the law firm actually accepted it.

The firm(s) where I have worked, the general decision handed down was to accept any subpoena served upon us that was legitimate. (For example, if our receptionist looked at it and instead of its bearing our mailing address under the addressee, it bore, say, Coke's address in Atlanta, they were told to turn it down; because then we would be pretty sure it was improper service, because we have no business connections with Coca-Cola). For any duly served summons bearing a company or individual's name we recognized, and knew our company was or had been affiliated with it; we accepted it lickety split, because as my bosses always said, "They'll find a way to get it to us anyway; might as well take it now." Technically if a process server wants to take the chance and think they are in the right of it, they can toss it on the floor at your feet; on the counter of the receptionist's office; or anywhere similar; and just walk away. It's a myth saying that you have to accept it in direct hand-to-hand contact, to the best of my knowledge.

Jussie Smollett update: Chicago police could release records in 'Empire' actor's case Thursday

Jussie Smollett update: Chicago police could release records in 'Empire' actor's case Thursday
Updated an hour ago
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Police Department could release hundreds of pages of official documents from "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett's case on Thursday.

Last week, a Cook County judge ordered police and prosecutors to unseal the documents in the case. The police documents include official typed reports from handwritten notes from detectives.

Police also have 69 hours of video in the case and redacted versions of the videos could be released next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie