Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #104

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to believe that he didn’t imagine at least one of the girls would have a phone, even if he never thought of pictures or video. He may have left it there on purpose, never having touched it...which seems more likely than not even thinking about phones...imo.
That's true. The thought could have crossed his mind enough to know he had to act quickly so they didn't call for help. I'm sure he didn't know he was on camera, though. Thankfully.

Bringing this forth from the last thread that closed about the time I posted:

Perhaps I've missed it as this thread moves fast! Has anyone discussed whether Libby had "Find my Friend" on her phone? If they were catfishes and accepted the Perp as a friend on this app, he could have easily tracked them moment by moment.
Amateur opinion and speculation

In the early days, I was one of the obnoxious ones asking and asking what MP meant by the phone pinging all over town. (This is in the news story the night of the disappearance and before the girls were found, and has been posted so many times here). Others provided information on how cell phones triangulate, and the length of time it takes a court order to release triangulated cell phone data, and I wondered how MP knew that so quickly.

All I could come up with the family was using something like Find My iPhone. Still don’t know. It’s one of those murky clues that has never been answered satisfactorily to me.

Hard to believe that he didn’t imagine at least one of the girls would have a phone, even if he never thought of pictures or video. He may have left it there on purpose, never having touched it...which seems more likely than not even thinking about phones...imo.

If the bodies had been well hidden in the middle of nowhere, checking to see if the victims had cellphones would make sense, to make it more difficult to locate them. I think he didn’t care because as you say, he didn’t expect video or audio, and he knew his victims would be found so a leaving cellphone was neither here nor there.

Last edited:
To me, too. I see nothing that BG's wearing that would point to any kind of vocation or that says anything about him other than that he's wearing average clothes that can be purchased at about any Rural King, Walmart, or other big box store that sells clothing and home items anywhere in the south or midwest. He's wearing what appear to be carpenter jeans (a little baggy, but that's the way that those kind of jeans fit anyway so they may not be too big on him), a blue jacket, and possibly a hoodie or hat. Something that my 73-year-old dad and 33-year-old husband both have in their closets-and one's a college professor who moonlights in SAR and the other sells firearms.
His clothes look like what most older guys wear here in the midwest. Someone mentioned it looks like he's wearing a Purdue tee under his jacket. I can't get past that. It looks just like a shirt a friend of mine wears. (He's not BG. Doesn't fit the description, doesn't sound, walk like him. Yadda, yadda.)

In the early days, I was one of the obnoxious ones asking and asking what MP meant by the phone pinging all over town. (This is in the news story the night of the disappearance and before the girls were found, and has been posted so many times here). Others provided information on how cell phones triangulate, and the length of time it takes a court order to release triangulated cell phone data, and I wondered how MP knew that so quickly.

All I could come up with the family was using something like Find My iPhone. Still don’t know. It’s one of those murky clues that has never been answered satisfactorily to me.

Most of us had those same questions in the beginning and someone had to ask them! :0)

I lurked here most of the time in the beginning and was very grateful for those who asked the questions I wanted to know the answer to as well!

There were some really helpful links posted in the media thread early on that showed cell towers, etc.

To the best of my recollection, the family never disclosed how the pings were pinpointed that night.

I think your idea about the findmyphone app is a solid one.

JMO

If the bodies had been well hidden in the middle of nowhere, checking to see if the victims had cellphones would make sense, to make it more difficult to locate them. I think he didn’t care because as you say, he didn’t expect video of audio, and he knew his victims would be found so a leaving cellphone was neither here nor there.

And you know, we really don’t know anything, for sure. If an app was tracking the phone, it means it was traveling in downtown Delphi. But then we have some stories the phone was found near the bodies. I simply am stymied but that is so important to understand for sure.

There is going to have to be a day when more information is shared.

Yeah. I think that’s both reasonable and likely.

God knows they were right, as he went on to murder them shortly after that.

He must have seemed out of place, or done something that made them leery of him.

Perhaps he was looking at them in a way that made them uncomfortable. Whatever it was, he got their attention.

All it would take it for him to follow, stare or just give them a look. Sometimes, you just know, but still there's little they could do about it. :(

As a girl you learn to start working that intuition pretty early on, unfortunately. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way to guys at all. 99% of all men are awesome, IMO. But that little niggling we learn to develop starts early. My daughter is 7 and she's already starting to say things like, "Mommy, that person's making me feel uncomfortable." I told her to always go with her gut. Better to hurt someone's feelings and apologize than to take a chance whenever you start feeling that something's up.

It's the Gift of Fear! gotta trust it.

And you know, we really don’t know anything, for sure. If an app was tracking the phone, it means it was traveling in downtown Delphi. But then we have some stories the phone was found near the bodies. I simply am stymied but that is so important to understand for sure.

If the phone was indeed known to have been travelling around downtown Delphi I’d wonder why anyone was searching the trails.

"Sgt. Holeman tells us investigators recovered more audio from Libby’s phone, which was found with the girls at the crime scene."

ISP: More audio recovered from slain Delphi teen's phone

I have two thoughts about phone pinging throughout town. My guess is that it was either from their morning and early afternoon activities or he is not tech savvy and misspoke and called it "pinging" when he might have meant they had Snapchats going out to friends throughout the day until things stopped when they were abducted on the trail.

I just saw on page 1 the girls got there around 1...if SC video was at 2ish...could they have seen him prior to that and then decided something was off and she took the video? JMO

My timing may be off, but that just stuck out to me all the sudden.

Eta: this is the post I’m referencing.

Attachments

• B18938C4-5678-4A58-A72C-36866171291B.png
    B18938C4-5678-4A58-A72C-36866171291B.png
    450 KB · Views: 72
@bradfordsleuth Thank you for trying to help me find the video! But it still wasn't the one I saw. However, these words did pop up again in your link:
"Investigators are attempting to independently corroborate alibis that didn't add up, and if need be, find out why there are discrepancies, Leazenby said."
I wonder who's alibis didn't add up? Which witnesses were less than truthful or misleading? And we have come full circle, In My Opinion. Now (it appears) we are back to the focus of the investigation being someone "with ties" (work?, familial?, school?) back to the Delphi community. The "newly presented sketch was drawn within 3 days of the murders" and yet it was not used for 2 years!! Is that because, #1 a witness said, "It can't be him because he and I were attending the event at the high school together?" or, #2 "My (insert: spouse, brother, co-worker, son, father etc.) was picking up mail at the post office with me at 3 pm." #3 Maybe a family member stayed for the weekend, said their good-byes on Monday morning, but never actually left town....until after the murders.?? #4 The perp showed a cash receipt for a purchase with a time stamp on it. (And store video never showed perp or his vehicle in the parking lot. Anyone of us could find a cash receipt on the ground and claim it as our alibi, huh? Wouldn't store video be "independent corroboration"??)
This crime had such a tight time frame....witnesses literally walking & driving past each other.... a mistake or misreporting of even 30 minutes could really make a big difference.
Except for Superintendent Carter's multiple TV appearances....the 3 weeks of silence is deafening.

Last edited:
It does make me lean toward he was so caught up in the emotion of frenzy in the attack, and how quick he would have to be to avoid others, he missed what Libby was doing. Still, it would be awesome to have that clarified for certain.

Dear @Jabarn,

There is a possibility that Libby threw the phone as far as she could while she was running.

Maybe B.G. didn't see which direction or even notice this happening during him chasing the girls.

Libby and Abby were both involved in athletics and I'm sure Libby had a "good arm" to throw, even in the midst of a terrifying situation. Maybe, especially in the midst of a terrifying situation.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

Regarding the phone "pinging around town," BP and MP talk more about this in the "Crime Stories with Nancy Grace" show, around timestamp 16:50. Essentially BP tried to find out how to track Libby's phone by talking to the phone company, but they got nowhere with that. MP then mentions that the police did end up being able to ping the phone but it was "earlier in the day" and they didn't know how accurate that information was.
Live from CrimeCon: Little Abby & Libby’s families beg for your help after girls’ murders at Delphi Bridge

Find my phone/friend would be quite accurate in showing location. The tower pings are related, but different.

I think the family likely got the “ping” info from carrier/LE, (especially if they could verify they were the account owner quickly), and I speculate the Perp tracked the girls every step through one of the aforementioned buddy find apps.

Amateur speculation and opinion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member