Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

Such a powerful sentencing. The evidence, especially the 911 call, was devastating to see and listen to. I can't imagine the amount of trauma she's suffering through. I hope she doesn't try to be extraordinary like so many expect out of survivors, just being herself is more than enough. To those of you who believe in prayer or just caring thoughts, keep Jayme on your mind.
Also, the letter made my skin crawl. Mainly where the judge mentioned his fantasies and how he was prowling for young girls alone. I know that cases like these are rare, but these cases are always on the back of my mind when I'm out alone.
Thank you to everyone who has spent hundreds of hours of their time researching and sleuthing this case. Even though your effort might seem fruitless, it's greatly appreciated by the rest of us here who don't have the time or willpower to go in depth.
I was introduced to this community through this case. Although I wish it was under different circumstances, I am so happy to have found such a caring group of people.
Thank you.
Fly Free, Fly High Jayme!
7cJ.gif

Jayme has already accomplished more than most people.

I hope she does not feel pressure to continue to be extraordinary

human, I feel the same way.

Jayme needs to be left alone and allowed to slip back into the silly, carefree life of a girl where having the coolest color on your nails makes you special.

JP’s legal team established a defense that was essentially “loneliness” and self fulfilled ostracism that manifested when JP began wearing glasses.

This argument was predicated upon an evaluation of JP, by a mental health expert, that determined he is not a psychopath / sociopath.

They suggested that his crimes constituted a one-off episode, out of character for him. They established (and played heavily upon the fact) that he had no past criminal behavior/record leading up to the Closs murders / kidnapping of Jayme.

JP’s defense suggests to me otherwise, as the Judge stated, what he did is not normal. JP was stopped before he could continue acting on the same tendencies (in the future).

If we are wrong in that conclusion, JP was covering for someone else’s crimes.

What he did is surely not anywhere close to normal and he needs to be kept away from the community forever as the danger to the community and in payment for what he did to the Closses. However, what I understand is that his behavior is genetically determined (“a pattern of extreme isolation”) and as I understand, his defendants asked not to isolate him further in prison. To give him a chance for some rehabilitation, with the understanding that he is to die in prison.

What he did is surely not anywhere close to normal and he needs to be kept away from the community forever as the danger to the community and in payment for what he did to the Closses. However, what I understand is that his behavior is genetically determined (“a pattern of extreme isolation”) and as I understand, his defendants asked not to isolate him further in prison. To give him a chance for some rehabilitation, with the understanding that he is to die in prison.

Isn’t such rehabilitation usually predicated upon the chance of parole? (That’s what confused me as defense acknowledged that JP will die in prison).

Edit to add .... isn’t a great deal up to JP as to the prison experience he wishes to have?

JP’s legal team established a defense that was essentially “loneliness” and self fulfilled ostracism that manifested when JP began wearing glasses.

This argument was predicated upon an evaluation of JP, by a mental health expert, that determined he is not a psychopath / sociopath.

They suggested that his crimes constituted a one-off episode, out of character for him. They established (and played heavily upon the fact) that he had no past criminal behavior/record leading up to the Closs murders / kidnapping of Jayme.

JP’s defense suggests to me otherwise, as the Judge stated, what he did is not normal. JP was stopped before he could continue acting on the same tendencies (in the future).

If we are wrong in that conclusion, JP was covering for someone else’s crimes.

I am not sure how a 'mental health expert' could decide he was not a psycho-path/sociopath. Did that expert understand that JP saw a girl standing by her school bus, and decided in that moment that he would kidnap her, in a deadly home invasion, and keep her as his slave/hostage, under his bed, for many months?

And this 'expert' decided it was 'out of character' for JP? How could it be 'out of character' if he actively pursued that same psychopathic behaviour every day and night for 8 months?

I am not sure how a 'mental health expert' could decide he was not a psycho-path/sociopath. Did that expert understand that JP saw a girl standing by her school bus, and decided in that moment that he would kidnap her, in a deadly home invasion, and keep her as his slave/hostage, under his bed, for many months?

And this 'expert' decided it was 'out of character' for JP? How could it be 'out of character' if he actively pursued that same psychopathic behaviour every day and night for 8 months?

What could the defense say? They had to present something so that there cannot be an appeal on effective counsel. It was a good try.

They kept saying that he would die in prison.

I think it was probably hard to defend him even though he’s a nice guy most of the time. Just like Chris Watts. A nice guy

Wearing glasses, as an excuse or justification for murder and kidnap? That is beyond lame.

I hope Jayme can move forward in her life. The loss of her Mother is one of the most devastating things, because there will be so many times Jayme will say to herself, "I wish my Mom was here". Even happy moments, like her wedding, having a child, she will think about her Mom.

Loners don't do well in prison. You need to join a group of peers to watch your back. He won't have an easy time.

The only way I can get through stories like this is to work at separating the person from his deeds in my mind. To think kindly of him and harshly of his behaviors and to remember that he wasn't born that way, life changed him. That doesn't excuse him or argue that his sentence is to long or anything like that, but it is the only way I can feel that I am not losing empathy and compassion and boy is it difficult !!

What could the defense say? They had to present something so that there cannot be an appeal on effective counsel. It was a good try.

They kept saying that he would die in prison.

I think it was probably hard to defend him even though he’s a nice guy most of the time. Just like Chris Watts. A nice guy

Essentially, defense demonstrated how under their proposal, JP would be 100 years old before eligible for parole, and no chance for him to die anyplace but in prison.

Defense argued for this in that JP would be eligible for rehab conditions while in prison, whereas he's not under his life without the possibility of parole sentence imposed.

Well darn. Just checked WI inmate search & JP hasn’t been transferred to Dodge. I was hoping they moved him in the wee hours, so he can begin his new life, living in constant fear, as he forced JC to exist.

That's to be expected.

I recall inmates have to go through an intake (reception, orientation assessment) -- typically held elsewhere, and transferred as soon as space is available.

That's to be expected.

I recall inmates have to go through an intake (reception, orientation assessment) -- typically held elsewhere, and transferred as soon as space is available.

Dodge is the reception center. I assumed since they knew he’d be coming, based on sentencing date, they’d roll the bus up for him.

Purpose Statement
The primary purpose of Dodge Correctional Institution (DCI) is to serve as the central reception center for all adult male inmates sentenced to prison. DCI promotes safe communities and institution safety through humane custodial treatment and supervision of inmates. DCI staff work collaboratively with staff from the Bureau of Offender Classification and Movement to complete a comprehensive assessment and evaluation of each inmate, determining program needs, custody level and institution placement. In addition to this classification process, inmates transitioning through DCI participate in an orientation to the WI DOC and begin adjusting to and learning how to navigate a correctional environment, since many inmates are just beginning to acknowledge the impact of their sentence. Inmates are supported as they transition into their incarceration and the challenges they may encounter, so that they can move forward into case planning and reintegration efforts.

wisconsin reception center for inmates - Google Search

Wearing glasses, as an excuse or justification for murder and kidnap? That is beyond lame.

I hope Jayme can move forward in her life. The loss of her Mother is one of the most devastating things, because there will be so many times Jayme will say to herself, "I wish my Mom was here". Even happy moments, like her wedding, having a child, she will think about her Mom.

Loners don't do well in prison. You need to join a group of peers to watch your back. He won't have an easy time.

Loners don’t do well anywhere. He tried, JP, joined the marines but soon was discharged for “a condition”.

As to the eyeglasses, his lawyer mentioned the word albatross or pelican, when he spoke about them, or did I mishear? I wonder if as a kid, JP had an unusual shape of a head/neck, and was very blond and pale, and if the glasses were small and square, and made him look slightly bird-like? And kids started teasing him, and he did not know how to take it? MOO.

(Not trying to explain, looking for prevention of future victims. What he did was horrible).

Loners don’t do well anywhere. He tried, JP, joined the marines but soon was discharged for “a condition”.

As to the eyeglasses, his lawyer mentioned the word albatross or pelican, when he spoke about them, or did I mishear? I wonder if as a kid, JP had an unusual shape of a head/neck, and was very blond and pale, and if the glasses were small and square, and made him look slightly bird-like? And kids started teasing him, and he did not know how to take it? MOO.

(Not trying to explain, looking for prevention of future victims. What he did was horrible).

I wonder if the lawyer said the glasses were his albatross. (Rime of the Ancient Mariner style.)

Wondering if after a couple days JP will quit his prison job if given one?

His self isolation preference is over unless he ends up in solitary confinement.

He is about to experience a whole new world when he reaches prison far different from his previous life and County Jail confinement.

He will probably get a beat down, end up in infirmary, and solitary from there on. He may not even ever go to gen pop, because he is so wimpy and famous. More trouble to try to protect him than just put him in his own isolated cell.

Wondering if after a couple days JP will quit his prison job if given one?

His self isolation preference is over unless he ends up in solitary confinement.

He is about to experience a whole new world when he reaches prison far different from his previous life and County Jail confinement.
Ha! I saw Aladdin last night so your post cued the music for me.

I hope this is miserable for the rest of his life. Jayme is right - he is a coward. I wanted to slap that shaking head so many times watching the hearing.

Ha! I saw Aladdin last night so your post cued the music for me.

I hope this is miserable for the rest of his life. Jayme is right - he is a coward. I wanted to slap that shaking head so many times watching the hearing.

Ditto this. I just watched all 2 hours of the sentencing. Geez his "sobbing" and his "I'm so sorry" sounded so, so false. Crocodile tears. Then, the judge reading JP's sick fantasies. Ugh.

Yep, JP is a danger to the public and to young girls. Glad he is LWOPPED.

ETA: Particularly interesting is how he wanted to play "cat and mouse" with caregivers of his possible kidnap victims.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back