CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most anything goes in a closing argument, since it is not evidence. It's a summation of the case, the wits testimony, and evidence (the exhibits) that support each sides case. This was a long case, that lasted longer than it really should have, so I anticipate the closings will be equally long... It's the last thing the jury hears from each side before deliberating. Should be interesting.

Ironically, during the Defense Opening Statement, the prosecution shouted "Objection!" when the defense was going to play a clip of the press conference when CM was arrested. Let's hope they will refrain from objecting a closing statement.

Ironically, during the Defense Opening Statement, the prosecution shouted "Objection!" when the defense was going to play a clip of the press conference when CM was arrested. Let's hope they will refrain from objecting a closing statement.

Lets also hope the defense refrains from mentioning subjects for which the court has already disallowed. Then there will be no reason for the objections.

We can hope, right? If I was a betting woman, I would bet on at least one objection from each side.

Remember Duncan’s attack on SG’s family? I’d guess much the same way. (He threatened the children to get one adult to tie the others up. Then he killed the two adults and the teenager, and kidnapped the two children—8 and 9, I believe.)

It’d be easier for CM, since he was someone they knew, who was familiar with their house. There’d be no sense of danger until the attack began.

All IMO, of course.[/QUOTE.
Yes and if he first attacked JM (which I'm certain he did), then went upstairs and attacked SM, while she was bathing the kids, it wouldn't be all that difficult. He was much taller and stronger than all of them. Having spent so much time at their house, he knew exactly how to do what he did. Especially since I personally believe, that he played the scene over and over and over again, in his head. He had a TREMENDOUS amount of hatred and disdain for that family. Probably had the graves already dug and just drove up to Santa Clarita on the 5th, to dispose of their wallets, SM's glasses and other items.

Fracture of the hyoid bone in strangulation: comparison of fractured and unfractured hyoids from victims of strangulation. - PubMed - NCBI

Hyoid bone fractured in one third of homicides by strangulation.

I thought I’d heard something about that—but had no idea the percentage was so low!
Should have sent that to the prosecution to counter what she said on cross exam lol :D I really do believe that there are many here at WS's that could have done a better job prosecuting JMO

Hey Everyone,

We are lucky that two members are going to make it possible to know what is going on during the closing arguments.

La2Cabo and Frankie Hellis with work hand in hand to post updates from the courthouse.

eeLa2Cabo will be in the courthouse and sending messages to Frankie Hellis who will then post the information.

Thank you both for helping Websleuths members and visitors have a better understanding of the is really going on in court.

What we will do is start a new thread tomorrow for closing arguments and go from there.

What do you think?

Will we get a guilty verdict? If so how fast?

Or will it be an aqquital? If so how fast?

Should have sent that to the prosecution to counter what she said on cross exam lol :D I really do believe that there are many here at WS's that could have done a better job prosecuting JMO

I’m sure the prosecution knew it. (Well, almost sure. ;))

I’d guess that they didn’t want to spend time on what they thought was a minor point. If their theory of the case didn’t involve strangulation, then proving that strangling could have happened might not matter much.

Hey Everyone,

We are lucky that two members are going to make it possible to know what is going on during the closing arguments.

La2Cabo and Frankie Hellis with work hand in hand to post updates from the courthouse.

eeLa2Cabo will be in the courthouse and sending messages to Frankie Hellis who will then post the information.

Thank you both for helping Websleuths members and visitors have a better understanding of the is really going on in court.

What we will do is start a new thread tomorrow for closing arguments and go from there.

What do you think?

Or will it be an aqquital? If so how fast?
Thankyou Tricia and to the posters that will be in court for the closing statements. We will have first hand info. and should be interesting, :)

He had a minimum of 3 days and up to 10 days to clean up, and paint the walls.
House was not considered a crime scene for many years.
By the time they revisited, the bank had foreclosed and resold the property with new family living in it for years.

Even during the initial days, LE have testified they saw nothing that would indicate a crime in the house. I don't think you can violently kill 4 people and not leave signs inside the house. That's just my opinion, professionally.

I've been reading about the Rhoden family and ïnterestingly," their dogs (pitbulls) were spared. That leads me to believe the killers were obviously known to the dogs, or they would've attacked. Being that the McStays also owned a couple of dogs, that didn't bark like crazy that night, I would say the same holds, true--the killer was known to the McStay family.

You do know this applies to you and some others as well

Right? :confused:o_O

Oh, the Wiki quote was posted without a comment whatsoever. It's not a reply to anyone. It does seem you are self-conscious of being guilty of C.B.

By the time they revisited, the bank had foreclosed and resold the property with new family living in it for years.

Do I remember rightly that the new family replaced the flooring downstairs?

Yes he had plenty of time to do that for sure. And steered the family in other directions that made them feel the family had just gone on a mini vacation. No urgency from him to contact LE and say he thought something very nefarious was going on. And he had the most contact with the McStay family out of all the other case players, i think even more than their own family did, IMO.

Do I remember rightly that the new family replaced the flooring downstairs?
Yes i think so.
ETA, (quote)
Q What conditions about the house had changed, according to them?

A They removed all the property, any leftover property that was in the residence. They changed the entire downstairs flooring. Put in hardwood flooring and changed the baseboards. They painted the walls in the downstairs bathroom and changed the flooring to tile. For the most part, that was it.
Excerpt from Prelim. Pgs 50 – 53 (Detective Troy Dugal-SDSD)

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

What do you think?

Or will it be an acquittal? If so how fast?

Thanks Tricia, very much looking forward to the live updates!

I think Guilty, but not a fast verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member