Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya but everybody should be afforded the same amount of privacy. If my estate is public record, why shouldn't theirs? Just seems odd. When someone goes to great lengths to hide something, it usually means there's something to hide.
Estate Planning For Privacy | JD Supra
May 23 2019 More legal info at link.
"The Supreme Court of Canada may soon be considering the intersection between estate and privacy law as well as the public policy behind the “open court” principle. The personal representatives of the estates of murdered Canadian billionaires, Barry and Honey Sherman, have indicated they intend to appeal a very recent Ontario Court of Appeal decision to overturn a sealing order over Court files relating to the Estates. The issues in this developing case also highlight the opportunities for estate planning strategies when privacy issues are a primary concern.

Background

Barry and Honey Sherman, a prominent Toronto business and philanthropist couple, were found dead in their home on December 15, 2017 under suspicious circumstances. An ongoing police investigation is treating their deaths as a targeted double homicide. The case has garnered much media attention and speculation over the past year and a half.

According to one news article, Barry apparently died with a will dividing his estate equally between his children. Honey’s will could not be located. Their estates are estimated to be worth $5 billion.

If an individual dies with a will and owns significant enough assets or real property, the will is typically submitted to the Court for probate, a summary process to confirm the document’s validity. In the vast majority of cases, applications for a Grant of Probate are submitted by a paper application process that does not involve a Court attendance. The application contains information about the personal representatives of the estate, the beneficiaries as well as an inventory of estate assets.

In June 2018, the personal representatives of the Sherman Estates obtained a rare sealing order from Justice Dunphy of the Ontario Superior Court, removing public access to the Court’s probate file. A Toronto Star reporter appealed the sealing order."

Ya but everybody should be afforded the same amount of privacy. If my estate is public record, why shouldn't theirs? Just seems odd. When someone goes to great lengths to hide something, it usually means there's something to hide.

Based on the evidence presented to the court, it really wasn’t great lengths. The family very much values privacy.

I don’t think they will make it to the SCC.

Based on the evidence presented to the court, it really wasn’t great lengths. The family very much values privacy.

I don’t think they will make it to the SCC.
I'd consider petitioning the Supreme Court and going to "great lengths" lol.

Wondering why JW at T.Sun does not seem to have been on the case lately.

I wondered about that too. Steve Ryan has stopped reporting on the case also. Other than recently stating that his source "who is close to the investigation" said the 911 call has nothing to do with the Sherman deaths, he stopped reporting and being quoted about the case in other media articles after the TPS media presser.

Noting, again..
May 27, 2019
Man posing as realtor stole $30Gs in jewelry: Halton cops

"A 29-year-old man is facing charges after allegedly posing as a realtor and stealing $30,000 worth of jewelry from a home in Oakville.

Halton Regional Police say the alleged victims held an open house at their home on May 22 that was intended only for prospective real estate agents.

Investigators allege the man learned of the event online and pretended to be a realtor in order to get inside."

Noting, again..
May 27, 2019
Man posing as realtor stole $30Gs in jewelry: Halton cops

"A 29-year-old man is facing charges after allegedly posing as a realtor and stealing $30,000 worth of jewelry from a home in Oakville.

Halton Regional Police say the alleged victims held an open house at their home on May 22 that was intended only for prospective real estate agents.

Investigators allege the man learned of the event online and pretended to be a realtor in order to get inside."

The systems to identify the location of 911 calls appear to me to be very robust and accurate. I and others I work with have mistakenly dialled 911 from my office before, in a large office tower, and then hung up not realizing what we had done. The police call back immediately to verify the call and to ask if it is an emergency. They even knew my name when they called me back to confirm. When this happened a second time a few weeks later to a co-worker, and he didn’t answer the police telephone call, the officers were there at our specific office within 5-10 minutes max. So I don’t think that LE had the wrong house.
However, if LE responded to a 911 call from the Sherman house I don’t know why an unmarked police vehicle would show up, surely a squad car would have responded. I don’t know if the video of the Sherman house was clear enough to identify it as a squad car, I guess not.
But i would be interested to know if a police officer responded to a 911 call from the Sherman house and got no response at the door, what procedure would they follow to determine whether there was an emergency inside? Or would they have just left?

This was a few years ago, but my son called 911 mischievously on my cell phone and hung up. He got scared and told me immediately what he had done, The police called back and I explained the situation and then they gave the address that was showing up to go with my cell number as a couple blocks away from my home. So, indeed sometimes wires can get crossed.

If there was any indication of theft when the Sherman's died, it would complicate this already complicated case with respect to motive. I have to assume that theft was not involved, or not apparent. Moo

Nothing has ever been mentioned about items missing. If the killers were experienced professionals, I would expect they would not take anything. They would be conscious of the fact that anything taken from the Sherman home would link them to the killings.

Often serial killers keep an article of clothing/jewelry from their victims. When the police find these items in the serial killer's possession, that usually verifies the police have the right guy.

Nothing has ever been mentioned about items missing. If the killers were experienced professionals, I would expect they would not take anything. They would be conscious of the fact that anything taken from the Sherman home would link them to the killings.

Often serial killers keep an article of clothing/jewelry from their victims. When the police find these items in the serial killer's possession, that usually verifies the police have the right guy.

For Those of you that are skilled at finding old references and postings I am wondering, did LE ever specifically state that the Sherman’s were targeted for MURDER, or just that they were murdered, and that they were targeted. Windsor’s post has me wondering if we may have misread things here. I recall that Gomes in the press conference indicated that (I’m paraphrasing here) the Sherman’s were the victims of a double homicide, and that they were in fact targeted RBBM. But did she actually state that they were targeted to be murdered?
Perhaps they were targeted for robbery, and were murdered- that doesn’t mean they were targeted for murder! Any insights?

For Those of you that are skilled at finding old references and postings I am wondering, did LE ever specifically state that the Sherman’s were targeted for MURDER, or just that they were murdered, and that they were targeted. Windsor’s post has me wondering if we may have misread things here. I recall that Gomes in the press conference indicated that (I’m paraphrasing here) the Sherman’s were the victims of a double homicide, and that they were in fact targeted RBBM. But did she actually state that they were targeted to be murdered?
Perhaps they were targeted for robbery, and were murdered- that doesn’t mean they were targeted for murder! Any insights?

IIRC it was said that they were targeted...I don’t remember it being said they were targeted for murder. But, many believed it was a targeted murder. I will try to find a reference.

IIRC it was said that they were targeted...I don’t remember it being said they were targeted for murder. But, many believed it was a targeted murder. I will try to find a reference.
VIDEO @ 0:16 "Targeted"
CBC News: The National on Twitter
It’s been a year since Barry and Honey Sherman were killed. There are so many questions. So few answers
Dec 18 2018
"After weeks of police silence, Det. Sgt. Gomes had news.

“We believe now, through the six weeks of work and review, we have sufficient evidence to describe this as a double-homicide investigation,” she said. “And both Honey and Barry Sherman were, in fact, targeted.”

Judge seals estate files of murder victims Barry and Honey Sherman to protect heirs
December 13, 2018
"Police at first believed it may have been a murder suicide but later announced that both were victims of a targeted double murder."

Rbbm. this could be read slightly differently, imo.
Barry and Honey Sherman’s family ask for permission to tear down couple’s Toronto home
March 7 2019
"The family of Barry and Honey Sherman, who police say were targeted and murdered inside their North York home, is asking the City of Toronto for permission to tear down the residence."

Last edited:
If the motive was robbery, and Honey surprised them, I think she would be the only victim. Thieves want to get in and out quickly. If they purposely waited for Barry for some reason, it doesn't seem normal that a thief would take the time to string them up to a pool railing. Jmo
Exactly, thieves don’t wait around for the husband to get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member