NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the backpack, it screams serial killer behavior to me. Like purposely planting evidence just to see their crime in the news. It was double wrapped in plastic bags to preserve it from the elements. It's location was in a digging site. In my opinion it couldn't have been a easy dig being it took machinery to resurface it. I wonder if they questioned any if the construction crew? Terry Fleming was the contractor to find it. Asha Degree Missing: 9-year-old North Carolina girl left home and never seen again
The perp likely intended for it to found.

For me it seems like either serial killer behavior or the behavior of a person who was obsessed with Asha and want to be able to "visit" her belongings. I'm still not so sure that this wasn't someone in her community who was known to her in some way.

Asha Jaquilla Degree – The Charley Project

What is the story on the evidence picture on her Charley project profile? It's one Nike tennis shoe with the laces missing (brand new looking), adult sunglasses, and a leather fold binder/planner. Were these in her backpack? I have always seen the shoe picture connected to her case.

Asha Jaquilla Degree – The Charley Project

What is the story on the evidence picture on her Charley project profile? It's one Nike tennis shoe with the laces missing (brand new looking), adult sunglasses, and a leather fold binder/planner. Were these in her backpack? I have always seen the shoe picture connected to her case.
The details and circumstances are....weird, imo.
The sneakers shown are white, but the description says black? rbbm.

"Asha's fourth-grade class at Fallston Elementary School read the book The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman in February 2000. The book centers around the story of a prince and a commoner child who receives lashes on the royal's behalf. The children proceed to run away and the book details their adventures. Both boys return safely to the kingdom at the story's end. It is not known if the book served as a catalyst for Asha's disappearance.

Asha's black book bag and black Tweety Bird purse were missing from her room after her disappearance, along with a pair of blue jeans with a red stripe, black sneakers, a long-sleeved white shirt with purple lettering, a red vest with black trim, black overalls with Tweety Bird on them, and a long-sleeved black and white shirt. All the doors to the house were found locked; Asha kept her house key in the bookbag.

Asha's pencil, marker and Mickey Mouse hair bow were discovered on the ground in the doorway of a tool shed at Turner's Upholstery on Highway 18 on February 17, 2000, three days after her disappearance. Her belongings were found near the stretch of road where Asha was seen walking in the early morning hours of February 14. A search of the area failed to produce additional evidence. The items were discovered more than one mile from Asha's residence.

A contractor uncovered Asha's book bag, which has her name and telephone number written on it, buried off Highway 18 in August 2001, 18 months after she disappeared. The item had been double-wrapped in black plastic trash bags and was found more than 26 miles from her family's home and in a different direction from where she'd been walking. Nearby some animal bones and a pair of men's khaki pants were found.

The bag was sent to a federal laboratory for testing, but, citing the pending investigation, authorities never released the results. Unconfirmed reports state the bag contained Asha's name on a piece of paper, as well as clothing and a pencil case. In October of that year, a plastic trash bag similar to the one Asha's bookbag was wrapped in was found. The bag was sent to a police lab for analysis."

Books seem to feature prominently in this missing person case. imo.
Sparky's Book Nook: The Whipping Boy
The Whipping Boy.
"Exposition: The story begins in a castle where Jemmy, the whipping boy for Prince Brat, is being whipped for the prince's misbehavior. Jemmy has no use for the prince but has been plucked off the street to live out his fate. Bored and full of arrogance, the prince decides he wants to run away and he is forcing Jemmy to go with him.
Conflict: Once out in the world they are soon captured by two outlaws, Hold-Your-Nose Billy and Cutwater. The outlaws quickly assume Jemmy is the prince since he can read and write. Jemmy orders that the ransom note he was forced to write be sent to the king by way of his whipping boy, Prince Brat, hoping the prince will take the opportunity to flee. But the prince refuses to leave.
Rising Action: Prince Brat and Jemmy are able to escape from the outlaws. Dodging soldliers they soon meet Mr. Nips who invites them to ride along in his hot-potato cart. But soon enough they are stopped by the outlaws and pulled from the cart. The outlaws are outraged and whip Prince Brat thinking he is the whipping boy. To whip a prince, even unknowingly, is an offense punishable by death.
Climax: The two boys are saved by a bear, owned by Betsy. The bear approaches and scares the outlaws away. The boys, Betsy, and the bear find Mr. Nips and ride with him to the street fair. Once there we begin to see a change in Prince Brat's arrogant ways. He enjoys his first handshake, relishes at collecting water, eats his first potato, and laughs for the first time. Then a paper seller balks that the whipping boy has kidnapped the prince and he is wanted dead or alive.
Falling Action: As Jemmy flees the fair, the prince follows. The outlaws are back in the picture and are after them yet again. Jemmy and Prince Brat dodge into the sewers. Jemmy is very familiar with the sewers as he was a rat catcher prior to his whipping boy duties. As the outlaws struggle to find them in the dark sewers, the boys are able to lead them to the rat-infested area of the tunnels.
Resolution: The outlaws are attacked by rats and bound out of the sewers. Jemmy and the prince are safe. Begrudgingly, Jemmy returns to the castle with the prince. The prince promises the king that he will never misbehave again. For he would not want his friend, Jemmy, whipped."

I read the Whipping Boy in school around the time she went missing. I don't think I follow the idea that this spared her to run away. I saw it more as a 'Wizard of Oz' or 'Huckleberry Finn' type adventure so I don't see how a child would be inspired to run away by it. I mean when it comes to the child's mind it isn't exactly the most rational, but at her age I was scared to walk in my heavily wooded backyard at night even with my dad next to me. In the book, bad stuff also happens to them after they run away too so I see it as more of a warning to a child to not run away.

I also would like to point out that the two eyewitnesses who place her on the highway didn't contact authorities until later after she was broadcast as a missing person. One of them thought she was an adult and the other thought she was wearing a white dress. One did mention seeing a back pack however. The whole thing is just confusing and mind boggling! Also if you suspect a child is wandering around at night wouldn't you call police immediately? Could they have questioned what they actually saw? I still don't see how she would be walking alone down the highway in the first place. As an adult I am scared to even drive down rural highways in the middle of the night alone! (I have driving back home from a concert in Charlotte on multiple occasions).

The thought I have is I wonder how closely they looked at everyone that was present at her aunt's house that weekend. Her aunt lived close by. Would she have a spare house key to the Degree household? Did someone in the family bring over a new shady SO? Did the aunt have a new boyfriend? I think this could be more close to home, although I feel like it is definitely not her parents. Think about it, in this situation the parents are automatically suspect #1 and they have been cleared. Also if you have read articles where they are quoted they are still searching even today. If they were guilty most likely they would not do updates and even could have moved away shortly after. But if it is a unrelated SO of a family member... The bag being hidden makes sense as well in that situation.

I also read that her mother said the route Asha was reportedly seen walking on the highway was the same as her bus route. Trying to find that in an article, but since she is a high profile case its hard due to the volume of coverage.

Highly doubt this was a stranger abduction. That seems so low to me. I think it's someone who has had contact with her directly without it raising eyebrows... Family members boyfriend/girlfriend/friend, assistant basketball coach, neighbor, friend's parent, etc.

Regarding a 'planned' meet up, highly unlikely because how would she have gotten up at the right time in the middle of the night?

Regarding the distinct vehicle sighting, where was she seen getting into the vehicle and by whom?

I hate this thought I have had recently, but what if she died from the elements after running into the woods. The person found the backpack in their yard and was involved in criminal activity and didn't want to be questioned if they turned it in. Far fetched, sorry. I just don't see the perp catching up to her after she ran into the woods. It was a rural area. I mean how could they? I wonder how well they searched the wooded areas between Turner Upholstery and her house.

And the mickey mouse bow, marker, and pencil being positively ID'd as hers gets me as well. If I remember correctly the pencil had the name of a place she had been to in the following years like (New Orleans, etc.). I almost feared that the parents positively ID'd these items out of grief. How many girls that age had mickey hair bows? I probably did around this time as well. And the candy wrappers were ID'd as the same candy her basketball team had been given. How though? What if it was a popular brand? Was the candy found in her backpack when recovered? I know this stuff was found near where she was aledgedly sighted, but the unidentified picture of the girl was also found there so what's the chance it could be unrelated?

I read the Whipping Boy in school around the time she went missing. I don't think I follow the idea that this spared her to run away.

You bring up good points. I'm gonna snip some of your post to address a few things...First off, I agree about the book. There are other books that I could see inspiring a child to take off on an adventure, but this one feels like a stretch. I read it to my kids and it's never come across as a "let's run away and do neat things" story to me or to them.

I also would like to point out that the two eyewitnesses who place her on the highway didn't contact authorities until later after she was broadcast as a missing person. One of them thought she was an adult and the other thought she was wearing a white dress.

I would actually question that either one of them saw her at all, except for the fact that they both claim to have seen her walking the same direction at the same time. They must have seen something, at least, because the two of them didn't know each other (unless they spoke by radio), yet they placed her at the same time on the same stretch of road, going in the same direction. I suppose it's possible that one of them DID see something and the other was either confused or unreliable.

The thought I have is I wonder how closely they looked at everyone that was present at her aunt's house that weekend.

I'm wondering that, too. If I were LE, that's where I would've started, after I spoke to family and school.

Highly doubt this was a stranger abduction. That seems so low to me. I think it's someone who has had contact with her directly without it raising eyebrows... Family members boyfriend/girlfriend/friend, assistant basketball coach, neighbor, friend's parent, etc.

I definitely think this was someone she knew, or at least someone she knew of. (Maybe they knew her, but she didn't really know them.) I could buy a stranger abduction, but that still wouldn't explain what she was doing outside on the highway in the middle of the night. We have two questions: who took her and why she outside? IMO the two questions are definitely related. If one could be answered, the other probably could.

Regarding a 'planned' meet up, highly unlikely because how would she have gotten up at the right time in the middle of the night?

Maybe she never actually went to sleep? She was heard getting up at 2something to use the bathroom, but maybe she was never actually asleep at all. She was checked on, but she could've been playing 'possum. And perhaps there wasn't a set time to meet, she was just meant to go out that night so she was waiting for everyone to go to sleep. She apparently left not long after her dad finally went to bed.

I'm not totally sold on the "planned" meet up, I'm not sold on anything in this case really, but I think it's plausible.

Regarding the distinct vehicle sighting, where was she seen getting into the vehicle and by whom?

Yeah, for real. And didn't this info come out something like years later? If the trucker saw her running into the woods, and some of her things were found in a shed, at what point did someone see her get into the vehicle? In my theoretical scenario, the person who took her found her in the shed. But it was in the middle of the night so who would've seen it. Is it possible that nobody saw her getting into the vehicle THAT night, but spotted her a day or two later in the vehicle someplace else? The only thing keeping me from really thinking that is that most MSM articles I've read have said that she was "spotted getting into the car." Wonder if the witness was able to see any details on the driver, or even if they were male or female.

I just don't see the perp catching up to her after she ran into the woods. It was a rural area. I mean how could they? I wonder how well they searched the wooded areas between Turner Upholstery and her house.

People are missed in searches all the time. I could see how her body could've been missed. That the backpack was double bagged makes me hesitant to go far down that road. Sure seems like someone was hiding it for a reason.

And the mickey mouse bow, marker, and pencil being positively ID'd as hers gets me as well. If I remember correctly the pencil had the name of a place she had been to in the following years like (New Orleans, etc.). I almost feared that the parents positively ID'd these items out of grief.

LE may have been able to pull DNA or fingerprints off these things. The hair bow could've had hair attached to it, the candy wrappers had saliva, the pencil had teeth marks or saliva on the eraser end, etc. I don't know, it's never been said. I agree that, on their own, they probably could've belonged to any number of kids. When you're considering them as a whole, though, they seem to likely belong to her. Just a hair bow, just an "Atlanta" pencil, just some candy wrappers? I could chalk one of things up to being too general to be my daughter's. However, seeing them all together like that...There may have also been identifiable things to them. LE seems to be operating under the assumption that those items did belong to Asha so it leads me to believe that there's probably more than just her parents' word.

Damn, there are so many questions in this case. And it's a crying shame that it's not gotten the media coverage that others have received.

I combed through the local news articles at AshDeg (848 views)

Sorry it's not better formatted but I'm on mobile and it really was a pain to copy and paste from that site.

Her older cousins (12 and 15) hosted a slumber party the night before that had a dozen people in attendance
"Asha plays basketball and likes riding her bike and jumping on a trampoline, her cousins said. (Name removed for privacy), said she, Asha and a dozen of their cousins had a sleepover Saturday night at a family member's house justup the street."She was real happy," (name removed for privacy) said. "She was dancing andlaughing."(name removed for privacy), 15, the cousin who hosted the weekend slumber party, slumped next to (name removed for privacy) on a lawn chair.She and other family members spent the entire day looking for Asha."

The pencil found at Turner Upholstery had Atlanta on it which is where the Degree's had a family reunion
"Detective Wayne Thomas.Crawford said he believed the most significant find was thepencil that had "Atlanta" on it. The Degree family held itsreunion there the following year."

The candy wrappers found were cinnamon disks that Asha happened to like
"Searchers moved on again. They formed a straight line,each searcher 10 feet from the next, and pored over theground looking for red cellophane cinnamon disk wrappers - one of the candies Asha favored."

The descriptions of the items found explained by the person that found them
"Rallie Turner, 59, found a yellow hair bow, candy, a greenmarker and a white pencil with writing on it in the old building, which now houses discarded furniture and a redCub Farmall tractor."There was a little picture next to the tractor," said Turner, who found the items Tuesday. "The hair bow was an inchand a half long. It's plastic and it had a little teddy bear onit. It was solid yellow."Investigators thought they had something when theDegree family identified the items as belonging to Asha.But nothing new turned up Friday. Volunteers and trained search-and-rescue teams have been searching for Asha since she was reported missingMonday.Searchers have covered about a 3-mile radius around theDegrees' home and searched in dozens of private yardsalong N.C. 18."

99.9 percent of the items found in Asha's bag were hers.
"Ninety-ninepoint nine percent of what was in that bag was Asha's."Investigators believe she left home on her own, but havenever determined why. They say she took a backpack, twofavorite outfits and a Tweety Bird purse. Asha's hair bow, candy wrappers and other items werefound in a toolshed just off N.C. 18, about a mile from herShelby home a day after two truck drivers reported seeingher walking on the highway about 4 a.m. A weeklong,massive search near there revealed nothing more. The casehad all but died until the book bag discovery.Previously, Crawford said he believed the fourth-gradermight have walked beyond the 4-mile radius of the originalsearch and died of natural causes. But the Burke Countyfind changes that, he said."It's highly unlikely Asha placed them there herself," hesaid. "We have reason to believe that was not Asha's plastic bag, so it certainly heightens our suspicion that one ormore people were involved."The Cleveland County Sheriff's Office flew the bundle,including the plastic bags, to an FBI lab in Quantico, Va.,for forensic tests that are still underway.It is unclear whether the clothing found was the outfit Asha wore when she left home."

A description of the route she would have taken to get to the shed from the highway. Also a neighbor directly behind the shed said his dogs did not bark that night
Authorities believe she got scared and left the road,seeking shelter in the shed. To get there, she would have walked the length of two football fields uphill and crosseda 3-foot-deep gully. A light outside the shed may haveguided her.The shed, filled with furniture and farm equipment theowners of nearby Turner's Upholstery stored there, wasdoorless so Asha could have easily stepped in.Neighbors don't remember anything unusual. The Rev.Mackie Turner, pastor of Buffalo Baptist Church, keeps six beagles in a dog lot behind the shed."They bark if they see anybody," he said. "But I didn't heara thing."

There was a inmate that confessed in Asha's case. But authorities couldn't find any evidence to his story and he also failed lie detector tests.

"Jailhouse tale: Was it a lie?The collect calls started last summer.Barron Ramsey, a Mecklenburg County Jail inmate who went to school with Asha's mother and has a lengthycriminal record, insisted to officials and The Observer heknew what happened.

He and another Cleveland county man were heading back to Shelby on rural highway 18 early Feb 14 after buying drugs in Hickory.

The other man was driving and the pickup struck a girl while she was crossing the road, according to Ramsey. He said the girl was alive when the driver put her in the back of the pickup. Ramsey said the driver dropped him off at home and left with the girl.

A few days later, Ramsey said, the man returned to take him fishing on Moss Lake near Kings Mountain. Ramsey said he helped the other man dump the now-dead girl's body in the lake."
AshDeg (848 views)

I wonder if it was someone at her school that had access to names, etc. of the students? Has it ever been discussed by LE that they investigated anyone that Asha had contact with at school?
Just trying to think of how books & that (what looks like) school pic of an unknown female child are involved here. Just seems school related. I could be way off MOO

Back to the "Whipping Boy" again because it seems like an unusual thing for LE to even consider, much less come right out and speculate as to whether or not it might have had some influence on the kids.
So with that in mind, just speculation, but wondering if there is in fact a girl who looks like the one in the photo, who has disappeared (died) and needs to be replaced with another girl (Asha) in order to avoid detection? imo.

Back to the "Whipping Boy" again because it seems like an unusual thing for LE to even consider, much less come right out and speculate as to whether or not it might have had some influence on the kids.
So with that in mind, just speculation, but wondering if there is in fact a girl who looks like the one in the photo, who has disappeared (died) and needs to be replaced with another girl (Asha) in order to avoid detection? imo.

Definitely an unusual thing for LE to mention in her case file. Especially when there is that unknown picture that was found amongst her belongings that is unmentioned.

IMO it's a 'clue' they considered only after they exhausted all leads. Like they interviewed her teacher and her classmates and asked, "why would Asha run away or what reason would she have?". And they answer by saying, "well, we were reading a book about kids running away".

I think Asha was groomed by someone on the outer edge of her family's social circle. I think the black/white photo of the other girl, which was found left behind in the shed, was given to Asha by the perp. I do believe Asha was in that shed and left some of her belongings - including that photo - behind. With the transfer of that photo, the perp. may have convinced Asha that the little girl was in his/her possession and that she was allowed to do whatever she wanted (tv, food, etc.) and that she wanted to meet Asha. From what I have read, Asha's parents seemed over-protective and she did not have much socialization outside of her family. This may have lead to curiosity of a new friend and new adventures which this perp. took advantage of. I think Asha left her home that night to meet this person and the "new friend" and was in fact walking along that road that she was spotted on by the truck drivers. At some point I think the perp. caught up to her and there was an unfortunate ending. I do not think the little girl in the photo is significant - I think it was just a random photo used as a grooming device.

The details and circumstances are....weird, imo.
The sneakers shown are white, but the description says black? rbbm.

"Asha's fourth-grade class at Fallston Elementary School read the book The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman in February 2000. The book centers around the story of a prince and a commoner child who receives lashes on the royal's behalf. The children proceed to run away and the book details their adventures. Both boys return safely to the kingdom at the story's end. It is not known if the book served as a catalyst for Asha's disappearance.

Asha's black book bag and black Tweety Bird purse were missing from her room after her disappearance, along with a pair of blue jeans with a red stripe, black sneakers, a long-sleeved white shirt with purple lettering, a red vest with black trim, black overalls with Tweety Bird on them, and a long-sleeved black and white shirt. All the doors to the house were found locked; Asha kept her house key in the bookbag.

Asha's pencil, marker and Mickey Mouse hair bow were discovered on the ground in the doorway of a tool shed at Turner's Upholstery on Highway 18 on February 17, 2000, three days after her disappearance. Her belongings were found near the stretch of road where Asha was seen walking in the early morning hours of February 14. A search of the area failed to produce additional evidence. The items were discovered more than one mile from Asha's residence.

A contractor uncovered Asha's book bag, which has her name and telephone number written on it, buried off Highway 18 in August 2001, 18 months after she disappeared. The item had been double-wrapped in black plastic trash bags and was found more than 26 miles from her family's home and in a different direction from where she'd been walking. Nearby some animal bones and a pair of men's khaki pants were found.

The bag was sent to a federal laboratory for testing, but, citing the pending investigation, authorities never released the results. Unconfirmed reports state the bag contained Asha's name on a piece of paper, as well as clothing and a pencil case. In October of that year, a plastic trash bag similar to the one Asha's bookbag was wrapped in was found. The bag was sent to a police lab for analysis."

Yea that's odd about the shoes. They didn't say she was wearing black shoes but only that they were missing. Then it was apparently white shoes found in her bag and I think some white clothes too, but if I remember correctly there was quite a few black articles of clothing missing from Ashas room. So if the white clothes and shoes that Asha was seen in are in the bag and the black clothes are missing what does this mean? That while everyone is looking for the girl in white the perp is getting away with the girl in black? I don't know. This is one crazy case.

As for the items in the shed I have always had the feeling that this is where she changed clothes. Maybe because she was wet or possibly for some other reason. When she pulled the clothes out the other stuff just simply came out with it and went unnoticed.
And I think I have posted some of this before but we don't know exactly what the eyewitnesses said but I still believe Asha could have been walking the road with someone who was just able to get out of sight of passing vehicles and she was not. So my question is what was she doing when the witnesses first saw her? Just walking the road or already trying to get off the road.

Hi, I am the one who compiled the AshDeg file and found a copy of the picture of the little girl that was posted earlier in the thread. I did a two-part write-up over on reddit a few months ago that goes over all of the new information. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link to Reddit, so I’m reposting the write-up here in full.

Who is Asha?

Asha Jaquilla Degree was born on August 5, 1990. She was the only daughter of Harold and Iquilla Degree and had a brother, O’Bryant, who was one year older than her. They lived in a rented two-bedroom duplex at 3404 Oakcrest Drive, located in a quiet residential neighborhood about five miles north of Shelby, North Carolina.

Asha is described as a happy, shy, and athletic little girl who took after her father’s quiet personality and was extremely close with her older brother. In February 2000, she was a fourth-grader at Fallston Elementary School who loved math and science and was often named Student of the Week. She was the star point guard for her school’s Little Bulldogs girls’ basketball team and also played with O’Bryant on the same softball team. When she grew up, she wanted to become an author and illustrator and study science at Winston-Salem University.

Harold worked the second shift as a dock loader at PPG Industries in Shelby, while Iquilla worked at a Kawai Piano factory in nearby Lincolntown. On school days, Iquilla would wake Asha and O’Bryant up at 6:30AM before leaving for work, and the two were expected to get dressed, eat breakfast, and catch the school bus to Fallston Elementary on their own. They were latchkey kids and were allowed to play outside so long as they finished their homework. Bedtime was 9:00PM on weekdays and 10:00PM on weekends.

Friday, February 11

There was no school on Friday. Asha and O’Bryant spent the day at their aunt Kisha’s house down the street before attending basketball practice later that afternoon.

Saturday, February 12

Asha and O’Bryant both played separate basketball games at Burns Middle School. It would be her team’s first loss of the season, with Asha fouling out with only three minutes left in the match. Realizing they has lost, she began to copy her teammates as they cried and limped around the stadium, pretending to be injured. Iquilla quickly put a stop to this, telling a sobbing Asha that she wasn’t really hurt and that somebody had to lose the game. Asha was very upset at first, but cheered up while watching her brother play, and admitted to her mom that she wasn’t really hurt before going off to play with the other kids.

That night, Asha attended a slumber party at her 15-year-old cousin Catina’s house, where they stayed up late watching Soul Train and Showtime at the Apollo.

Sunday, February 13

Harold, Iquilla, and O’Bryant picked Asha up early in the morning to go to church. Afterwards, they went to cousin Shalonda Brown’s home, where Asha’s grandma gifted her a bottle of cologne and some Valentine’s Day candies.

Back at home, Asha, who hadn’t gotten much sleep at the slumber party, dozed off at about 6:30PM. Two hours later, she was awakened by a thunderstorm that just rolled into the area and went to the living room to watch TV with her parents and brother.

Just before 9:00PM, a motorist crashed into a utility pole in Lawndale, knocking out power to swaths of northern Cleveland County. Iquilla, who was preparing a shower for the kids when the lights went out, decided to leave it for the morning and sent both of them to bed.

At 11:30PM, Harold stepped out for a last-minute trip to buy some Valentine’s Day candy. Tomorrow would be his and Iquilla’s 12th wedding anniversary, and the two planned to spend the day alone at home. He returned shortly after and fell asleep on the couch.

Monday, February 14

When the power returned at 12:30AM, Iquilla awoke Harold and asked him to move their kerosene lamp before going back to bed. Now wide awake, Harold settled on the couch to watch TV for the next two hours. At 2:30AM, he checked on Asha and O’Bryant, found them sleeping peacefully in their beds, and went to join Iquilla in their bedroom.

Sometime during the night, O’Bryant stirred and heard Asha moving around in her bed. He thought she was tossing and turning in her sleep, then heard her get up and apparently go to the bathroom. (Reports differ on whether he ever heard her return.)1

That night, unbeknownst to her family, Asha would grab her backpack, slip out of the house, and start walking south on Highway 18. They would never see her again.

Iquilla woke up at 5:45AM to start the shower, and later walked into the kids’ room to find O’Bryant asleep and Asha’s bed unmade and empty. Thinking she just got up early, Iquilla went downstairs to the kitchen expecting to see her there, but couldn’t find her. Now concerned, she began searching the house and realized that Asha’s book bag and house key were gone.

Harold suggested that she went to her grandma’s house across the street, but when Iquilla called, she said she hadn’t seen her either. Iquilla threw the phone to Harold and started running up and down the street, screaming Asha’s name.

Harold called the police at 6:39AM. By 6:45, Sheriff Dan Crawford and officers from the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office had converged on the Degree home and were scouring the neighborhood. Over the next few hours, dozens of volunteers, search and rescue personnel, bloodhounds, and investigators from the Sheriff’s Office and State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) poured in to comb the surrounding area.

The SBI taped off the Degree home at 2:00PM. They found no signs of forced entry at the scene and were unable to tell if she had left through the front or back door, both of which could be opened from the inside without a key. There was no evidence of foul play inside the home.

Asha is believed to have been wearing a white shirt2, white jeans, and white Nike tennis shoes. She did not bring a coat or hat with her, but an inventory of her belongings found that she had taken the following items:

• A black Tweety Bird pocketbook

• Candies she received at her basketball game on Saturday night

• Her house key

• Clothing: a red vest with black trim, blue jeans with a red stripe on each side, a white nylon long-sleeved shirt, a black and white long-sleeved shirt, and black overalls with Tweety Bird on it

• Possible: The white nightgown she wore to bed that night3

• Possible: Her basketball uniform
That afternoon, Jeff R., a 25-year-old trucker for Sun Drop Bottling Co., was eating lunch when he saw Asha’s face on the TV. He instantly recognized her as the child he had seen walking in the rain along Highway 18 at 3:30 that morning, about a mile south of Asha’s home.

“I seen a little girl walking down the road with her book bag. She had on a little dress and white tennis shoes, and her hair was in pigtails. I went back, but she never did look up at me. She looked like she knew where she was going. She was walking at a pretty good pace.”

Realizing it was a child, Jeff stopped and turned his 10-wheeler around. In total, he circled around three times before the girl ran into the woods and out of sight.

At 4:15AM, Roy B., a former deputy at the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office, was trucking northbound on Highway 18 with his son when they saw a small person walking down the road.

“It was a small figure wearing light-colored clothing. I thought it was a woman. I couldn’t tell it was a child. I thought that maybe it was a domestic violence thing where a woman left the house and was out walking.”

Roy placed the sighting 1.3 miles south of Asha’s home, just before the intersection of Highways 18 and 180. Concerned that she would get run over, they sent a message over the CB radio for other truckers to be on the lookout, but they didn’t stop for her. Instead, they made a stop in Fallston before driving up to Chicago, where he learned about Asha’s disappearance during a phone call with his wife. The next day, the men returned to Shelby and went straight to the command post at Mull’s Memorial Baptist Church to report the sighting in person.4

The SBI and FBI have always believed these sightings to be legitimate. Armed with this new information, they began combing a five-mile radius around the intersection of Highways 18 and 180. An air search by Highway Patrol and the SBI turned up empty. There were no signs of a struggle or hit-and-run. Driver checkpoints set up on February 15 and 21 failed to turn up any leads. Bloodhounds began to scour the area within 1 ½ hours of Harold’s 911 call but never caught her scent, likely due to the inclement weather.

That night, Iquilla and Harold were interviewed by the SBI and quickly ruled out as suspects. Detectives say that the Degrees have always been cooperative with the investigation and have “bent over backwards” to help find their daughter. They allowed authorities to search their home and insisted on a polygraph, which they passed. As Sheriff Crawford put it, “There was no — and is no — evidence whatsoever to indicate this mother or father or child are responsible for this child’s disappearance.”

On February 15, some volunteers approached Rallie and Debbie Turner, who lived almost exactly one mile south of the Degree home, and asked them to check their property for any sign of Asha. They owned an old, doorless outbuilding that stood about 300 feet from the road, which they used to store furniture and supplies for their upholstery business. When they checked the shed, they found an odd assortment of items: a green marker, a 1996 Atlanta Olympics pencil, a yellow hair bow, some cellophane candy wrappers, and a wallet-sized photo of a little girl. https://i.imgur.com/lIFToZy.jpg

On February 16, after being questioned and polygraphed by the FBI, Jeff went back to the scene with investigators and pointed out a spot 600 feet from the Turners’ field. Rallie and Debbie handed over the photograph but kept the other items neatly piled on their porch, assuming that they lived too far away for them to belong to Asha.

Reverend Mackie Turner, a neighbor who kept his six beagles in a dog lot behind the shed, said that his dogs normally barked if anyone approached but that he didn’t hear anything that night. Another neighbor reported nothing suspicious, either.

On February 17, volunteers asked the Turners about some candy wrappers found on the road near their home. At that point, they turned the other items over to police. No one in Asha’s family or at school knew the girl in the photo, but they quickly identified the other items as hers. Her friends stated that the candies came from a treat bag they received at the basketball game on Saturday night.

Investigators would find no further evidence after this. On February 20, after three days of unsuccessful searching, they suspended the official search.

Part 2 will discuss the investigation after February 20, and explore some possible reasons why Asha would want to run away.

Part 2

Why would Asha run away?

Several experts on missing children have remarked on the uniqueness of Asha’s disappearance. Children aged 13 and under made up an estimated 18% of runaways in 1999,1 but the vast majority return home shortly after their disappearance, and it is extremely unusual for a child Asha’s age to successfully stay hidden for such long period of time.2 She also did not fit any standard profile for a runaway child: By all accounts, her home life was stable and loving, her parents were happily married, and she got good grades in school. No one in her social circle ever noticed any signs of abuse, and she did not confide in anyone about any problems at home.

Asha normally became withdrawn and took frequent naps when she was sad, but her parents did not notice any changes in her behavior. Harold and Iquilla were surprised that she would sneak out of the house at night, saying that she was frightened by storms and “deathly afraid” of dogs.

And yet, the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office, SBI, and the FBI have always believed that Asha left the house voluntarily and that she likely planned it out in advance. So why would she leave home?

One popular theory is that Asha was “catfished” by an adult predator posing as [the little girl in the photo](…) found in the Turner shed. Another common theory is that she was lured away from home by a trusted adult under the pretense of making her parents a gift for Valentine’s Day, which also doubled as their 12th wedding anniversary. For what it’s worth, Harold says that Asha was neutral to the holiday; her class was not trading cards that year, and she did not seem excited for Valentine’s Day or even mention it at all.

Asha’s parents wondered if she was influenced by the book The Whipping Boy, which was read in class the week before she disappeared. The book is about a young boy whose sole purpose is to take punishments (whippings) for a young prince, and the two hatch a plan to run away from the kingdom in the dead of night. They go on an adventure, escaping a pair of bandits and meeting new characters along the way, before returning to the kingdom safe and unharmed at the end of the book.

Asha’s parents also posited to detectives that she left because she was upset about the basketball game on Saturday night, saying she was the type of girl who would have blamed herself since she fouled out so close to the end of the match. She was very upset at first, crying and insisting that the referees had cheated, but seemed to perk up while watching her brother play. She was very happy at the sleepover that night and at her cousin’s house the next day, but according to Iquilla, she kept talking about the game throughout Saturday night and Sunday.

02/20/2000 - 08/02/2001

Authorities called off the search for Asha on February 20. They had spent over 9,000 man hours and combed the area several times, and were confident that she was no longer there.

In March 2000, Sheriff Crawford hired Kimberly Poyer, a child interview expert with the Department of Justice, to interview O’Bryant and several other children in Asha’s life. Her friends were unable to provide much helpful information, but mentioned that she showed them a few dollars in her wallet on February 10th. It is unknown where she got the money or whether she still had it when she disappeared.

On March 22, the Degrees erected a billboard at the spot where Jeff saw Asha run into the woods. That same day, Sheriff Crawford stated that his department was trying to rule out a handful of unnamed suspects. They contacted local sex offenders, spoke to everyone who may have had contact with her, and even explored the possibility of whether Asha was taken by an online predator (even though the Degrees did not have a computer at home). Crawford also had the FBI create a psychological profile of Asha’s abductor, which has not been released to the public.

32-year-old Barron Ramsey, a former classmate of Iquilla’s, confessed to being involved in Asha’s disappearance in summer 2000. He claimed that he and another man had just made a drug deal and were driving home when they accidentally struck her with their car. Realizing she was dead, they pulled her body into the bed of their pickup, then took a fishing trip to Moss Lake a few days later and dumped her in the water. Authorities dragged the lake twice and searched Highway 18 for any evidence of a hit-and-run, but found nothing. They believe he made up the story in hopes of getting a better deal in a bank robbery case in Bessemer City.

The Book Bag

On the afternoon of August 2, 2001, 26 miles north of Asha’s home, grading contractor Terry Fleming was etching a driveway into a hillside along Highway 18 when he unearthed something bulky wrapped in a black plastic bag. He had an odd feeling about the bag but but shook it off, using his tractor to clear the surrounding brush before curiosity took over. He tried unsuccessfully to tear it open using his tractor, but when that didn’t work, he threw it overhead and the bag broke open.

Inside, he found a beige and black book bag containing Asha’s name and phone number. Although the name did not immediately register for Terry, he still found the contents of the bag “strange enough that I didn’t feel comfortable with it”. He tried to call someone about it right then but was unable to get cell service in the area, so he decided to write the information down and call the number later. The next morning, he mentioned the discovery to his wife, who recognized the name and told him to call the police.

According to Sheriff Crawford, the book bag was double-wrapped in a black trash bag and appeared to have been buried at the location for quite some time. He also stated that 90 to 99% of its contents belonged to Asha. Law enforcement has remained mum about what exactly was in the bag, but the Charlotte Observer reported that it included a pencil case, a sheet of paper, and some unspecified clothing. It was found about 50 yards west of Highway 18, in a muddy, densely wooded area between a creek and the road. One local man, Bruce Smart, said the book bag was found near the site of what used to be an old swimming hole.

Unlike the original search in Cleveland County — which took place in February in a fairly flat area — those in Burke County would face serious difficulties due to the rough terrain, dense vegetation, and sweltering heat. Variously described as an “atrocious” search area and a “honeycomb of pig trials”, it was deemed so hazardous that Sheriff Crawford would only allow trained professionals to participate. Search coordinator Randy McKinney, surprised that the bag was even found at all, called the discovery a “fluke”.

When asked how optimistic he was about finding anything, McKinney put it this way: “If there are ten oranges out there, and we ask [the searchers] how many they think they’re going to find, they’d say two.”

Starting on August 15, authorities scoured a 3-mile-long, 400-foot-wide area around the book bag. Cadaver dogs alerted to three spot close to the bag, but turned up nothing. Searchers also discovered animal bones and a pair of men’s khaki pants; it is unclear if they have any relation to Asha’s case.

In October, authorities searched a six-mile stretch of Highway 18 from Fallston (just north of Shelby) to the Cleveland-Lincoln County line. It was the first leg of a 26-mile search that would cover the entire highway between Asha’s home and where the book bag was found in Laurel Creek, but unfortunately, it failed to turn up any new evidence. The only possible lead was a single black plastic bag found near Poole Road in Fallston, which was similar to the one used to wrap Asha’s book bag, but is not believed to have any relation to her case.

In February 2002, Wayne Thomas, then the lead investigator on Asha’s case, was abruptly fired for allegedly withholding information about her disappearance. Thomas denied the accusation and said that detectives had kept him “out of the loop” about her case in the months before his dismissal. He would be rehired later that year, after Raymond McKinney unseated Dan Crawford in the race for Cleveland County Sheriff.

In September 2003, 43-year-old Danny Ray Johnson was charged with abducting an 11-year-old girl from a tractor pull event in Belwood and raping her before leaving her in the woods, naked and bound to a tree. He also confessed to sexually assaulting an 18-year-old girl at knifepoint just a few days earlier in Catawba County.

Detectives also investigated his brother, Herbert, a convicted rapist and self-proclaimed murderer who was working as a security guard at the tractor show but claimed not to know his brother was even at the event. He was questioned in Asha’s case shortly after the discovery of her book bag due to his violent history and the fact that he lived the area. Herbert was arrested in September 2003 for a probation violation when investigators discovered a machete in his vehicle. He provided hair and blood samples,3 claiming that he was in an inpatient psychiatric facility and Danny in a West Virginia jail at the time of Asha’s disappearance. On September 16, detectives stated that the brothers had been “ruled out for now”.

In November 2004, authorities searched an empty lot on Rube Spangle Road in Lawndale, about three miles from the Degree home, but found nothing but animal bones. In April 2005, they dug up part of a 30-acre lot just south of Shelby, walking away with nothing but two bags full of dirt.

Recent Developments

In January 2014, detectives began looking into 57-year-old Donald Ferguson, who had been arrested for the 1990 rape and murder of 7-year-old Shalonda Poole, whose body was found behind an elementary school in Greensboro, North Carolina. While investigating a seemingly unrelated sexual assault in 2013, authorities in South Carolina entered his DNA into a national database and realized it matched the suspect sample in Shalonda’s case. Ferguson was free and living about 40 miles from Shelby in February 2000, but detectives have been unable to link him to Asha’s disappearance.

In May 2016, the FBI announced that they were looking for a dark green, early 1970s Ford Thunderbird or Lincoln Mark IV with rust around the wheel wells. Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman stated that the vehicle was “occupied two times”, meaning that there were two people inside.4 He also said the car was “discovered by leg work” between sheriff’s office investigators and the FBI, but would not go into any further detail about the new lead.

On October 8, 2018, the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office released two more pieces of evidence in Asha’s case. One was a copy of the Dr. Seuss book McElligot’s Pool, which had been checked out of the Fallston Elementary School library sometime in early 2000. The second clue was a New Kids on the Block concert t-shirt or nightshirt. Authorities would not reveal when, where, or how they found these items, or why they believe them to be significant in Asha’s case. Sheriff Norman mentioned that they have made other important discoveries that have not been released to the public, some of which have “advanced” the investigation.

Asha’s disappearance has had a devastating effect on her family.

Three weeks after Asha’s bag was discovered, Harold was seriously injured when his 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass drifted over the yellow line into oncoming traffic and collided head-on with a pickup truck. He was initially charged with crossing a median, but the charges were dropped when it was discovered that he had suffered a bad reaction to his blood pressure medication and fainted at the wheel. While visiting Harold in the hospital, Iquilla slipped, fractured her foot, and later developed a staph infection and a dangerous blood clot. Both Harold and Iquilla were unable to work for almost a year and forced to go on disability, relying on the generosity of their community to get by.

O’Bryant is now 29 years old and has a daughter of his own, who is around the same age as her aunt was when she disappeared. Every year, the family holds a commemorative, one-mile walk from their home to the billboard on Highway 18, marking the spot where Jeff saw Asha run into the woods. They refuse to believe she’s dead and remain optimistic that she will return.

“We’re not giving up hope until I have a body or they call me to identify the body,” says Iquilla. “And then I know I’m still not going to lose hope because if, Lord forbids, he decides to take her, I know she’s with God and she’s taken care of, so I still won’t have to worry.”

Bumping this tread. LE doesn't seem to be pushing this thing about a book and t shirt too awful hard. They should have made several more pleas to the public by now but as far as I know they haven't. Does anyone know if anything else has been released regarding this? I wish they would tell us some more about these items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla