VA - 12 Dead including shooter, VA Beach Municipal Center, 31 May 2019

I am curious why he was fired and for how long he worked there. Would this be a job covered by a union? I can understand the immediate rage and despair at being disenfranchised at his age, especially as an army veteran. But he didn't have to kill 12 people.

The 11 city employees who died were identified as Laquita C. Brown of Chesapeake, Tara Welch Gallager of Virginia Beach, Mary Louise Gayle of Virginia Beach, Alexander Mikhail Gusev of Virginia Beach, Katherine A. Nixon of Virginia Beach, Richard H. Nettleton of Norfolk, Christopher Kelly Rapp of Powhatan, Ryan Keith Cox of Virginia Beach, Joshua A. Hardy of Virginia Beach, Michelle “Missy” Langer of Virginia Beach and Robert “Bobby” Williams of Chesapeake. The 12th victim, Herbert “Bert” Snelling of Virginia Beach, was a contractor filling a permit.

Officials ID Virginia Beach gunman as city employee

Eta.

Several neighbors said Craddock was clean cut, a member of the neighborhood association board and spent time lots of time at the gym. But they also said he mostly kept to himself, especially after his wife left him some number of years ago.

Angela Scarborough, who lives in the neighborhood, said “he was very quiet . he would just wave.”

She said she knew his wife, but she left some time ago. “She just left,” Scarborough said. “Didn’t let us know or anything.”

I am curious why he was fired and for how long he worked there. Would this be a job covered by a union? I can understand the immediate rage and despair at being disenfranchised at his age, especially as an army veteran. But he didn't have to kill 12 people.

I really dont understand why the MSM adds he was once in the Army at one time, evidently many many years ago, and what it has to do with anything why he killed so many innocent people yesterday injuring more?

Of course that continuous add on done by MSM has never made any sense to me.

It has been painfully obvious one doesn't have to have ANY military background to become mass shooters. Or any murderer for that matter using a firearm.

If that was truly a factor or indicator for murderers to commit mass murders or any murder by firearm.... that they must first have prior training with the military...then most all of the shootings in large cities, or everywhere else across our nation they wouldn't ever occur.

Unfortunately they do happen by non military individuals on a daily basis. Imo, they happen far more times a day than those with any military background.

Its sounds since he had been an Engineer for 15 years linking him as an Army veteran was an unnecessary add on by the media.

Do we ever see the media say this when many others murder in mass that they used to work at Walmart, McDonald's many many years ago? etc.

Imo, he did not do these unbelievable heinous acts of mass murder because he happened to have been in the Army many years ago.

Imo, he is the typical murderer who blames others for his own wrongdoings, and downfalls. Rather than accepting his own blame that made him lose his job he was determined to blame others.

Imo, it shows he is most likely a sociopath with narcissistic traits who must always place blame on others instead of themselves where it really lays. They feel very entitled to do the acts this same horrid individual did.

Rather than face his own faults head on, and deal with them responsibly...he cowardly decided he was entitled to take out his own failures on totally innocent people instead...making them pay for his own failures.

Being in the military long ago had nothing to do with why he did these awful crimes.

All military branches are built on the strong foundation of being fully accountable, and taking full responsibility for one's own actions. He evidently had long forgot the military code of ethics.

Imo

Last edited:
I really dont understand why the MSM adds he was once in the Army at one time, evidently many many years ago, and what it has to do with anything why he killed so many innocent people yesterday injuring more?

It has been painfully obvious one doesn't have to have ANY military background to become mass shooters. Or any murderer for that matter using a firearm.

If that was truly a factor or indicator for murderers to commit mass murders or any murder by firearm.... that they must first have prior training with the military...then most all of the shootings in large cities, or everywhere else across our nation they wouldn't ever occur.

Unfortunately they do happen by non military individuals on a daily basis. Imo, they happen far more times a day than those with any military background.

Its sounds since he had been an Engineer for 15 years linking him as an Army veteran was an unnecessary add on by the media.

Do we ever see the media say this when many others murder in mass that they used to work at Walmart, McDonald's many many years ago? etc.

Imo, he did not do these unbelievable heinous acts of mass murder because he happened to have been in the Army many years ago.

Imo, he is the typical murderer who blames others for his own wrongdoings, and downfalls. Rather than accepting his own blame that made him lose his job he was determined to blame others.

Imo, it shows he is most likely a sociopath with narcissistic traits who must always place blame on others instead of themselves where it really lays. They feel very entitled to do the acts this same horrid individual did.

Rather than face his own faults head on, and deal with them responsibly...he cowardly decided he was entitled to take out his own failures on totally innocent people instead...making them pay for his own failures.

Being in the military long ago had nothing to do with why he did these awful crimes.

All military branches are built on the strong foundation of being fully accountable, and taking full responsibility for one's own actions. He evidently had long forgot the military code of ethics.

Imo
Maybe since 15 years ago was the beginning of the invasion of Iraq, and many came home suffering from PTSD, the media is making assumptions that he may have gone untreated and that it's a factor in this case.
I guess we will find out more about him, but from what people have desribed he fits the profile of many killers.
He was quiet, his wife left him a few years ago, he kept to himself, etc.
I'm sure we will hear much more. Imo

The 11 city employees who died were identified as Laquita C. Brown of Chesapeake, Tara Welch Gallager of Virginia Beach, Mary Louise Gayle of Virginia Beach, Alexander Mikhail Gusev of Virginia Beach, Katherine A. Nixon of Virginia Beach, Richard H. Nettleton of Norfolk, Christopher Kelly Rapp of Powhatan, Ryan Keith Cox of Virginia Beach, Joshua A. Hardy of Virginia Beach, Michelle “Missy” Langer of Virginia Beach and Robert “Bobby” Williams of Chesapeake. The 12th victim, Herbert “Bert” Snelling of Virginia Beach, was a contractor filling a permit.

Eta.

Several neighbors said Craddock was clean cut, a member of the neighborhood association board and spent time lots of time at the gym. But they also said he mostly kept to himself, especially after his wife left him some number of years ago.

Angela Scarborough, who lives in the neighborhood, said “he was very quiet . he would just wave.”

She said she knew his wife, but she left some time ago. “She just left,” Scarborough said. “Didn’t let us know or anything.”

Elley mae quoting elley mae

She just left. I wonder if she will be looked for.

Howerin said Craddock had cameras at his home monitoring two nice cars parked out front, including what appeared to be a Mustang. But she said she never saw him bring anyone over. She never saw him come home with groceries.

“He never really cracked a smile,” she said.

She said he seemed to be up at all hours of the night, walking around his apartment and sometimes dropping heavy things on the floor above her apartment. She also said that he was “jacked” from spending a lot of time at the gym.

Rbbm.
DeWayne Craddock: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
"Here are the deceased victims names. They are of all ages, all ethnicities, and genders.

“I have worked with most of them for many years,” said Dave Hansen, Virginia Beach City Manager. “We want you to know who they were so in the weeks to come you will learn what they meant to all of us, to their friends, to their families, and to their co-workers. They leave a void that we will never be able to fill.”

Laquita C. Brown worked in public works for 4.5 years, as a right of way agent. She was from Chesapeake.

Tara Welch Gallagher worked in public works for 6 years, and was an engineer from Virginia Beach.

Mary Louise Gayle had 24 years in public works as a right-of-way agent and was from Virginia Beach.

Alexander Mikhail Gusev spent 9 years in public works as a right of way agent and was from Virginia Beach.

Katherine A. Nixon, spent 10 years in public utilities as an engineer and was from Virginia Beach.

Richard H. Nettleton spent 28 years in public utilities as an engineer and was from Norfolk. He also served in an engineer brigade in Germany.

Christopher Kelly Rapp had 11 months in the job as an engineer in public works and was from Powhatan.

Ryan Keith Cox spent 12.5 years in public utilities as an account clerk and was from Virginia Beach.

Joshua A. Hardy worked in public utilities for 4.5 years as an engineering technician and was from Virginia Beach.

Michelle Missy Langer worked in public utilities for 12 years as an administrative assistant and was from Virginia Beach.

Robert Bobby Williams worked in public utilities for 41 years as a special projects coordinator and was from Chesapeake.

Herbert Bert Snelling was a contractor from Virginia Beach. He was there to try to fill a permit.

“This is the most devastating day in the history of Virginia Beach,” said Mayor Bobby Dyer. “The people involved are our friends, co-workers, neighbors, colleagues.”

In addition to the 12 people who died, four other people are in surgery for their wounds. The wounded police officer is expected to survive and was saved by his vest, said Police Chief James A. Cervera, calling the mass tragedy a “devastating incident…that is going to change the lives of a number of families from our city.” One victim was found in a vehicle, and victims were discovered on all three floors, the chief said."
Thanks! I had not seen the list and was concerned if any of them were someone I knew personally.

Imo
Yes, I don't understand that part either. And not just the Army, but the National Guard. Yes, NG personnel spent time in Iraq, but his chances of being over there are less than regular Army units. So I don't get making that part of the background.

Yes, I don't understand that part either. And not just the Army, but the National Guard. Yes, NG personnel spent time in Iraq, but his chances of being over there are less than regular Army units. So I don't get making that part of the background.
It sells. Seems like they will speculate about anything they can to sell a story.
I'm sure the media will have plenty to work with in the near future on this story.
The more information that comes out on each of the victims lives, the more heart breaking it will be. I'm sure that entire community is shaken.

Howerin said Craddock had cameras at his home monitoring two nice cars parked out front, including what appeared to be a Mustang. But she said she never saw him bring anyone over. She never saw him come home with groceries.

“He never really cracked a smile,” she said.

She said he seemed to be up at all hours of the night, walking around his apartment and sometimes dropping heavy things on the floor above her apartment. She also said that he was “jacked” from spending a lot of time at the gym.

Well, that article makes it appear that Craddock was still working there that day. So he likely was not fired. So the mystery as to why deepens.

It sells. Seems like they will speculate about anything they can to sell a story.
I'm sure the media will have plenty to work with in the near future on this story.
The more information that comes out on each of the victims lives, the more heart breaking it will be. I'm sure that entire community is shaken.
"It sells." As much as that makes see red, you are absolutely right.

Well, that article makes it appear that Craddock was still working there that day. So he likely was not fired. So the mystery as to why deepens.
another employee said he thought Craddock was in good standing at work and had never heard negative reports about him.
Virginia Beach shooting victims were veteran city employees
Joseph Scott, an engineering technician with the department of public works, said he had worked with Craddock before and had a brief interaction with him Friday. Scott said he saw him in the men’s restroom about five minutes before the shooting.

“He was in there brushing his teeth, which he always did after he ate,” Scott said. “I said ‘Hey, how you doing? What are you doing this weekend?’ It was just a brief conversation.”

Scott said he left for the day right after and learned of the shooting when a co-worker and then his son called him asking if he was OK.

“I couldn’t believe that it happened,” he said.

Scott said he worked in a different division from Craddock, whom he described as quiet, polite and a “nice guy.” Scott said he thought Craddock was in good standing at work and had never heard negative reports about him.

190601-virginia-beach-shooting-victims-al-1123_88a2278a44d0ec237ff1c121610e742f.fit-2000w.jpg

(From top left, Laquita C. Brown, Tara Welch Gallagher, Mary Louise Gayle, Alexander Mikhail Gusev, Richard H. Nettleton, Christopher Kelly Rapp, Katherine A. Nixon, Ryan Keith Cox, Michelle Langer, Joshua A. Hardy, Robert Williams, and Herbert Snelling./Photos provided by City of Virginia Beach)

I didn't see anything in the media report of being in the Army National Guard suggesting that was a factor in *why* this shooting occurred, but it certainly suggests he had training and some proficiency in weaponry, which working at those other jobs does not. I would think any experience with weapons is relevant, whether that be military, hunting, frequent gun range practice or marksmanship competitions, etc.

190601-virginia-beach-shooting-victims-al-1123_88a2278a44d0ec237ff1c121610e742f.fit-2000w.jpg

(From top left, Laquita C. Brown, Tara Welch Gallagher, Mary Louise Gayle, Alexander Mikhail Gusev, Richard H. Nettleton, Christopher Kelly Rapp, Katherine A. Nixon, Ryan Keith Cox, Michelle Langer, Joshua A. Hardy, Robert Williams, and Herbert Snelling./Photos provided by City of Virginia Beach)

Thanks for sharing. So hard to look at. As with all these shootings they are so normal, which reminds us it can happen to anyone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back