Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

None of it should have been released all it achieves is harm and distress for the living relatives. Why can’t they be sealed permanently?

^^^ Maybe the family can ask msm to remove it ?

There was a young woman who was killed in a car accident and a first responder (firefighter/emt) filmed the aftermath, and put it on the web. Her family successfully removed it several months later.
It's no longer anywhere on the internet.
Sorry I've forgotten the names.

Although in this case, I was of the understanding that LE thought people needed to know what a home invasion is like ?
Maybe H.I's need to result in a life sentence; an automatic 25 to life-- where the perps get locked up for the next 25 years with no appeals , until after that time is served ?
That would be acceptable.
Even without adding murder to the crime itself.

Criminals have no right to illegally walk into your home for any reason.
A police officer with a warrant would be a valid reason.

Possibly LE thought that people should understand the severity of what was done to the Closs parents ?
This call sadly makes it more real !

Home invasions even without adding a horrific murder are not an experience people should have to go through, ever.
If this vile useless garbage hadn't killed anyone, he'd be out free on the streets in a few years at most.
We should be able to feel safe in their own homes !

This call makes me think that home invasions can traumatize people forever, even if no one's killed during it.
I cannot speak from experience, thankfully.
MOO

Last edited:
Isn’t such rehabilitation usually predicated upon the chance of parole? (That’s what confused me as defense acknowledged that JP will die in prison).

Edit to add .... isn’t a great deal up to JP as to the prison experience he wishes to have?
My understanding from listening to the defense arguments is that in WI being eligible for eventual parole is a requisite for any educational programs, counseling (except from clergy) and possibly prison jobs as well. It sounds like without “possibility of parole” (even if not until 120 years from now) JP is guaranteed to have very limited options and a mundane existence in prison. Despite his attorneys doing an admirable (IMO) job pleading his case, I’m fine with that.

Then again, CW is a WI prison and gets to keep a picture of his victims on his cell wall and thinks he’s going to be able to council other inmates. That I am NOT fine with so perhaps JP’s life won’t be as bleak as defense attorneys made it seem.

I looked earlier on the VINE site and JP's listed residence is Barron County Jail. Either not updated or not transferred yet due to the Memorial weekend probably.

I'll have to look back and link the article but I just saw that JP is at Dodge for life.

He will have no more hearings so I'm thinking he's had his last ride outside the prison.

Edit: Cool....Judge Joe posted it.

None of it should have been released all it achieves is harm and distress for the living relatives. Why can’t they be sealed permanently?
It was the DA who played it as part of his statement in the trial thou...I'm not sure it could be avoided in this case??? :(

"Barron County District Attorney Brian Wright recounted the awful details of that night when Jayme was kidnapped.

He showed a photo of the shotgun Patterson used to kill her parents. In the courtroom, officials played the 911 call Denise Closs made as she and Jayme were trapped in the bathroom as Patterson tried to break in, knowing that he had already killed James Closs.

It was hard to make out any of what was said, but the terror of that night was clear in the call."

MPR News

It was the DA who played it as part of his statement in the trial thou...I'm not sure it could be avoided in this case??? :(

"Barron County District Attorney Brian Wright recounted the awful details of that night when Jayme was kidnapped.

He showed a photo of the shotgun Patterson used to kill her parents. In the courtroom, officials played the 911 call Denise Closs made as she and Jayme were trapped in the bathroom as Patterson tried to break in, knowing that he had already killed James Closs.

It was hard to make out any of what was said, but the terror of that night was clear in the call."

MPR News
Better that the DA released it.

911 calls are public record, and after trial anybody could have obtained it filing FOIA.

There is more evidence that would of been released if the crimes had gone to trial. The bodies of the parents which would be stomach churning to anyone who has not seen firearm wounds. The arraignment description was bad enough. Also, other than the picture of the shotgun and the bed under which JC was kept, none of the other 88 pieces of evidence, if I remember correctly, from JP's residence fortunately will see the light of day due to JC's minor status.

The DA presented what evidence was necessary for lifetime incarceration WO chance of parole. He did an excellent presentation of events IMO.

He’s in his new home. Since DCI is a receiving center of sorts, I wonder if they’ll place him elsewhere eventually. Barron jail is going to seem like an oasis compared to this place.
Closs kidnapper moved from Barron County Jail to correctional institution

Dodge does have a small GP of permanent inmates.
Iirc, the judge sentenced him specifically to Dodge?
IMO, all reception centers maintain an inmate population of several hundred to keep the facility operating smoothly.
Someone’s gotta cook, clean, laundry, attend the grounds & more. Noobs could not be trusted nor would they have knowledge, they’ve got to be health tested & go thru a lengthy initiation process. After he’s completed orientation, he might move from R & O to a new studio apartment inside Dodge.
Wonder how he enjoyed his first week, is it all he hoped for in life, everything he expected? Hope he’s not disappointed. Sounds like they kinda shut down the orientation process on weekends, so he’s had plenty of alone time.

Also, in my state 'security' inmates are permanently housed in the facility with Reception & Diagnostic.

This includes informants from other facilities, those convicted of crimes against children, and former LE.

Apparently in a correctional facility, these inmates are likely to be injured by others & their presence tends to be disruptive. Easier all around if they are housed somewhere else, and as Trudie points out, there are tasks that inmates handle that keep the facility operating routinely.

Repeating what I've been told, no links.

YMMV JMHO

I've been thinking about JP and his reason for pleading guilty so quickly,

wondering if his father convinced him by saying there would no longer be a free ride for him if he wasn't in jail.

He would have to work for a living and we know he had proven he couldn't or wouldn't do that.

JP may be perfectly happy to have 3 meals and a roof over his head forever.

wondering if his father convinced him by saying there would no longer be a free ride for him if he wasn't in jail.

He would have to work for a living and we know he had proven he couldn't or wouldn't do that.

I don't think his father had anything to do with his guilty plea, at least in the beginning. He gave it up when he first stepped out of the car. Then continued during his interrogation which I'm sure happened before he talked to family.

His lawyers have stated right from the beginning that he was adamant about only pleading guilty and not pursuing other defense avenues.

I think it has more to do with his personality. He has no drive to succeed or persevere from what I know of him. From a very poor job history to his short stint with the Marines. The Marines being the one thing he seemed to really want to do. Even his method of keeping JC under the bed without other physical restraints seems half hearted at best. Just a strange individual.

You may be right about being happy with three meals a day. They do have jobs for inmates and I am interested in what he is assigned and how he does. I'll be surprised if another con or himself doesn't end his incarceration. Unless he is isolated the characters in general population I just don't see him getting along with. Time will tell and I doubt we have heard the last of JP.

CBS News

A community comes together to support Jayme Closs, family

CBS News' Gayle King speaks to Closs family friends who describe their efforts to support Jayme Closs' family during their tragedy of Jayme's kidnapping and the murder of her parents.

They started a Facebook page to help spread the word while Jayme was missing, called "Light the way home for Jayme Closs," and organized fundraisers for the family during that time.

Now that Jayme has escaped and returned home, there is a new Facebook page where people can share positive messages for Jayme and the family called "Healing for Jayme Closs."

For more of how Barron, Wis., residents are banding together in support of the teen watch "Jayme Closs: Hometown Hero," airing Saturday, June 8 at 10/9c on CBS.

Last edited:

I don't think he would have to worry about working for a living if he had gone to trial. Evidence seems so overwhelming and victim survived and could testify. So chances of him not being found guilty were slim to none. He had to know that.

For more of how Barron, Wis., residents are banding together in support of the teen watch "Jayme Closs: Hometown Hero,"airing Saturday, June 8 at 10/9c on CBS.

RSBM
I was able to catch most of this- i thought they did a very nice job of telling Jayme’s story while respecting her privacy. It was a tear jerker for sure. And it was so nice to see her smile.

JUN 7, 2019
Inside Jayme Closs' escape and rescue

Jayme Closs Family Benefit Fund event Saturday in South Range
There will be a Jayme Closs Family Benefit Fund event happening this Saturday.

[...]

The fundraiser starts at 3 p.m. at the EZ Street Saloon in South Range.

All event proceeds will go directly to the Jayme Closs Benefit Fund, including 50% of bar sales.

[...]

Just watched the 48 hour segment on Jayme. It was a tear jerker for sure but was done very nicely
Find peace dear Jayme- I do still keep you in my prayers. Your parents have to be so very proud of the daughter they loved and raised

Jake Patterson's crime spree against Jayme Closs family deserves national study, experts say

“She fought back and did not give up (and that) says a great deal about her character. As soon as she stopped having worth to Mr. Patterson, he likely would have killed her, and no one might have ever known," she said. "Some serial killers have gone undetected for 20 or 30 years, in part because they are a different type of human being. They are predators who hunt humans, and some are very good at getting away with their crimes.”

I think I've finally come to resolution with this case. I was so upset when the story first broke and refused to believe Jayme was dead the entire 88 days. It was pure gut instinct, even on days when a lot of posters just about had be convinced there was no way she was still alive, I'd always start the next day hoping all over again.

Seeing Jayme in public is bittersweet to me. It's so good to see her alive and physically healthy, but there is an unease and sadness to her, rightfully so. I hope she can get some much needed privacy in the near future. She has so much healing and processing to do, I want her to find her own space and time and ways of coping moving forward without the ever present media eye on her.

Bravo to an outstanding, remarkable young lady. Denise and James are proudly watching from above. Blessings and healing for the entire Closs family.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back