Nepal/China - 10 People in 9 Days Die on Mt. Everest as 320 pack dense trail "death zone", May 2019

A different mountain, about 450 miles NW of Everest:

Eight climbers missing in the Himalayas have not been found in initial helicopter searches, and hopes are fading that they will be discovered.

Two Indian air force helicopters and a rescue team have been searching the region around the Nanda Devi mountain, which the group were attempting to summit.

It will take days to trek to the last known location of the group – four people from Britain, two from the US, an Australian and an Indian – who went missing after a heavy avalanche on India’s second highest peak.

“The first aerial recce has concluded and one tent was spotted, but there were no signs of human movement,” Vijay Kumar Jogdanda, the top civil servant in the Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand state, told the Guardian by phone.

He confirmed there had been a number of avalanches in the Nanda Devi peak region and said prints were spotted leading into the site of an avalanche.

upload_2019-6-2_15-38-20.png

Climbers missing in Himalayas unlikely to be found, officials say

Nepal is one of the poorest countries in Asia. And they get a lot of their economy from Everest related tourism. Tibet is controlled by China. China doesn't seem to be issuing anywhere near the number of permits, but they don't really need the money. I can't confirm this, but I believe most of the deaths recently have been on the Nepalese side. Both main routes are susceptible to bottlenecks of climbers at certain locations, but there seem to be many more climbers on the South/Nepal route.
Yes, that's my understanding, too. It may well have to do with number of climbing permits each country issues as well as the need for outside revenue.

SO is sitting here by the tv, with the dog, his most strenuous exercise is taking a 15 year old dog out to the mail box once a day. We saw the line at Everest, I told him if he had an extra $500,000 HE could climb Everest!

He decided not this year.

Well, maybe if he starts walking the dog to the mailbox twice a day, he'd be ready for the 2021 climb!!

:D You might have to put a little snack in the mailbox so it won't be empty on his additional trip there! And perhaps a dog biscuit for Man's Best Friend!! :D

A different mountain, about 450 miles NW of Everest:

Eight climbers missing in the Himalayas have not been found in initial helicopter searches, and hopes are fading that they will be discovered.

Two Indian air force helicopters and a rescue team have been searching the region around the Nanda Devi mountain, which the group were attempting to summit.

It will take days to trek to the last known location of the group – four people from Britain, two from the US, an Australian and an Indian – who went missing after a heavy avalanche on India’s second highest peak.

“The first aerial recce has concluded and one tent was spotted, but there were no signs of human movement,” Vijay Kumar Jogdanda, the top civil servant in the Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand state, told the Guardian by phone.

He confirmed there had been a number of avalanches in the Nanda Devi peak region and said prints were spotted leading into the site of an avalanche.

View attachment 187375

Climbers missing in Himalayas unlikely to be found, officials say
Yes, just finding out about that -- Nanda Devi is another major Himalayan peak -- 7,816 meters/25, 643 feet up. And avalanches are similar, as we know, to lightning -- bang!! and it's done. Oh, my. SMH.

Five bodies have been spotted in the search for a missing Australian climber after Himalayan avalanche hit her group.
Ariel search teams spotted the bodies and bags in the area, reports the ABC.
They report Uttarakhand District Magistrate Vijay Jogdande, said the helicopter had returned, and that the bodies would only be able to be lifted “after a technical assessment and advice”.
Five bodies found in the search for eight missing climbers in Himalayas

I don't believe dead humans are meaningless to these climbers. I believe they are considered an acceptable risk of the climbing "sport". I further believe the bodies are a reminder of the risks, a warning of everyone's mortality, a risk these "climbers" are willing to take.
Because of the long line to get to the top, many of these climbers walked past others who were struggling and dying. What kind of person does this?

I could not walk past someone who was dying. I'd have to at least try to pull them down to base camp to find oxygen and get dexamethasone to stop their swelling brain.

Because of the long line to get to the top, many of these climbers walked past others who were struggling and dying. What kind of person does this?

I could not walk past someone who was dying. I'd have to at least try to pull them down to base camp to find oxygen and get dexamethasone to stop their swelling brain.
Easier said than done in those conditions.
I don't understand it either but then I'd never try and climb it in the first place.

Easier said than done in those conditions.
I don't understand it either but then I'd never try and climb it in the first place.
I'm not either, but if I was buff enough to get up there, I wouldn't watch people die without trying to help just so I could get to the top of a rock. Such selfishness is unimaginable.

Where are the stories about climbers who were past base camp, saw someone struggling, and sacrificed their goal to rescue this person? I recently read a story about a man who left his sick and struggling fiancee someplace past base camp to get to the top of this rock only to find she was dead when he returned. He had the dexamethasone injection, which might have helped her swelling brain, in his pocket the whole time.

Last edited:
I'm not either, but if I was buff enough to get up there, I wouldn't watch people die without trying to help just so I could get to the top of a rock. Such selfishness is unimaginable. Where are the stories about climbers who were past base camp, saw someone struggling, and sacrificed their goal to rescue this person?

Exactly. Excellent point.

I don't put too much blame on climbers that walk past other climbers that are dying. I mean, it seems horrific and callous to us, but its a different situation up there. There is simply no way to help people in that condition at those elevations. Look at climbers (perfectly healthy in-shape climbers) near the summit. They take two steps, stop and catch their breath, two steps, stop and catch their breath. You aren't going to carry anyone down out of the death zone. And if you try you are probably just going to end up dead as well. Everyone climbing Everest knows this.

I don't put too much blame on climbers that walk past other climbers that are dying. I mean, it seems horrific and callous to us, but its a different situation up there. There is simply no way to help people in that condition at those elevations. Look at climbers (perfectly healthy in-shape climbers) near the summit. They take two steps, stop and catch their breath, two steps, stop and catch their breath. You aren't going to carry anyone down out of the death zone. And if you try you are probably just going to end up dead as well. Everyone climbing Everest knows this.

Ho hum. The word is that people will be dying all around you. Oh well.

History will not look kindly upon this. Think of what we think about gladiators or the Mayan ball court.

Perhaps not go on such a ridiculous thing in so many ways. The environmental damage. The risk to sherpa lives. And the obvious ego trip.

Time for the world to call out these stupid trip
Its not ridiculous for those people. And no one is forcing the Sherpas to do anything. They make a good living from climbing. And they would have nothing otherwise.

Its not ridiculous for those people. And no one is forcing the Sherpas to do anything. They make a good living from climbing. And they would have nothing otherwise.

Maybe people can use their thousands of dollars to figure out something better for the people. Sherpas do not make much. I will look for the article.

The Darwin award people don’t think what they did was ridiculous either. We used to think animals in zoo cages were acceptable as well.

Maybe people can use their thousands of dollars to figure out something better for the people. Sherpas do not make much. I will look for the article.

The Darwin award people don’t think what they did was ridiculous either. We used to think animals in zoo cages were acceptable as well.

I believe in a libertarian society, if a person wants to go to Nepal and climb Everest, which is perfectly legal, they should be allowed to do so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back