GUILTY IN - Ryan Martin, 29, murdered in suspect Talmadge Jasper's home, Lafayette, 23 May 2019

Self defence is usually a good defence, I suppose it depends if TJ had any injuries. His mug appears not to show any visible, like a black eye or split lip for example. Did either of them own a gun I wonder?
MOO

After killing someone in self defense, victim usually calls the police to report the attack on them.

After killing someone in self defense, victim usually calls the police to report the attack on them.
BOXER, THIS! We have a WINNER on aisle 7!!
Sometimes, in an attempt to gain sympathy for a killer, people repeatedly demonized their victims. Sadly, it goes from "mildly suggestive" (what were they wearing? why were they alone? in the case of attack on females) to scandalous aspersions upon the victim's character. Hey, Baby Mama Drama is pretty common in courts these days. Young parents, lots of emotional pain....but did anyone notice RM's parental rights were not taken away, nor did he have an RO against him. It looks as if he had worked quite a few things out. Not only saints are victimized...just trying to be fair.

I was wondering the same thing....how would he still have custody of his daughter if these charges were filed? It's getting even more strange.
You said it!
This case is a lot more complex that it originally appeared. No doubt more to follow.

And to those who have asked why I think he is non compos mentis, hiding the body in his closet with couch pillows seems so mentally disordered. Like a child hiding behind a thin pole thinking no one will see them. Then letting people back in his apartment! Something was malfunctioning.....

Amateur opinion and speculation

You said it!
This case is a lot more complex that it originally appeared. No doubt more to follow.

And to those who have asked why I think he is non compos mentis, hiding the body in his closet with couch pillows seems so mentally disordered. Like a child hiding behind a thin pole thinking no one will see them. Then letting people back in his apartment! Something was malfunctioning.....

MOO I think it was going well enough for TJ until he was seen at Ryan's house. A guy like Ryan's with speeding, driving suspended and various other F5/6 run ins with the law don't usually get speedy missing person treatment.

Under normal circumstances TJ could have reasonably anticipated there would be no follow up on a missing person report for 3 days, lead time to get things together.

After killing RM, TJ immediately jumped into action to cover up his crime.

MOO since males fighting to the death are usually really loud, I believe TJ attacked RM unexpectedly.

TJ has a lawyer from Delphi retained, doesn't look like a court appointed attorney.

Last edited:
Sorry, can't find the precise article or the affidavit this morning. This article comes close.

TJ went to Ryan's house at 8:05am.
RM's garage door opener opened the garage door, the noise alerting SR who was there saw TJ and called police. IIRC the article I read indicated that it was RMs car that TJ drove there.

But until I find the affidavit again, it's just MOO.

How a Lafayette murder suspect planned to kill his ex’s boyfriend, according to an affidavit

RM’s most recent conviction for Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated Endangering a Person, Sept/18 adds to the mystery because it appears his “Specialized Driving Permit” was revoked on April 16/19, the same day a warrant was issued for his arrest for failure to appear at a hearing that day, after violating the terms of his probation. May 2/19 he was located and the next day he paid a cash bond. Another hearing was originally scheduled May 28/19 with the State petitioning that his probation be revoked and that he spend the remainder of his sentence in jail (180 days). The above is my interpretation of the court file but it’s evident his murder occurred during a time he was facing serious legal issues as well.

If this has absolutely no connection to TJ whatsoever I’d be very surprised. As RM and TJ worked together, if TJ had no vehicle and RM had no licence, at the very least that might explain the connection between the two.

Case Search - MyCase

Last edited:
MOO I think it was going well enough for TJ until he was seen at Ryan's house. A guy like Ryan's with speeding, driving suspended and various other F5/6 run ins with the law don't usually get speedy missing person treatment.

Under normal circumstances TJ could have reasonably anticipated there would be no follow up on a missing person report for 3 days, lead time to get things together.

After killing RM, TJ immediately jumped into action to cover up his crime.

MOO since males fighting to the death are usually really loud, I believe TJ attacked RM unexpectedly.

TJ has a lawyer from Delphi retained, doesn't look like a court appointed attorney.
Yes, I was thinking he probably hit him on the head from behind. How cowardly, if so.

If you read RM MyCase it shows in the case notes he had a warrant. So I'm sure it wasn't a mistake.

I'm not talking about RM but TJ. In TJ MyCase (see below post I made a day or so ago) it mentions a warrant. I will have to go back and see what it says now, it could have been a mistake.

05/30/2019
Warrant or Writ of Attmnt for the Body of a Person Issued

05/30/2019
Appearance Filed
Defendant's Appearance
For Party:
Jasper, Talmadge Russell
File Stamp:
05/30/2019
05/30/2019
Probable Cause Found: Order Issued
Judicial Officer:
Moore, Daniel J - MAG

Order Signed:
05/30/2019
05/30/2019
Advisement of Rights Conducted

05/30/2019
Order on Initial Hearing
Defendant in custody.
Judicial Officer:
Moore, Daniel J - MAG
Present:
Manahan, Patrick Franklin
Order Signed:
05/30/2019
05/30/2019
Order Granting Motion for No Contact Order
Judicial Officer:
Moore, Daniel J - MAG

Order Signed:
05/30/2019
05/30/2019
Hearing Scheduling Activity
Pretrial Conference scheduled for 09/27/2019 at 8:30 AM.

05/30/2019
Hearing Scheduling Activity
Jury Trial scheduled for 10/22/2019 at 8:30 AM.

05/30/2019
Order Issued
Order for Fingerprints

Order Signed:
05/30/2019
05/30/2019
Order Issued
DNA SAMPLES

Order Signed:
05/30/2019
05/30/2019
Court Sets Bond
No Bond
Judicial Officer:
Moore, Daniel J - MAG
Party:
Jasper, Talmadge Russell
05/30/2019
Service Returned Served: Order of Protection
POR - Service Perfected: Service Date: 5/30/2019 3:00 PM Person Served: Talmadge Russell Jasper;Served By: Daniel J. Moore, Magistrate; Street: 301 Main Street; City: Lafayette; County: Tippecanoe; Agency: Tippecanoe Superior Court 2; Manner: Court;
Served:
Jasper, Talmadge Russell
05/31/2019
Automated ENotice Issued to Parties
Motion for No Contact Order Filed ---- 5/30/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington Motion Filed ---- 5/30/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington Motion Filed ---- 5/30/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington Hearing Scheduling Activity ---- 5/30/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington Hearing Scheduling Activity ---- 5/30/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington Order Issued ---- 5/30/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington Order Issued ---- 5/30/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington

05/31/2019
No Contact Order Issued
POR - No Contact Order No Contact Order - Pretrial Release; Issued by: MR DANIEL MOORE

Order Signed:
05/30/2019

Couple of things:

Daniel Moore is a judicial officer - see top section above about a warrant.

Now why has a warrant been issued if no bond has been allowed? A warrant and a protection order issued has me worried. What does this mean?

BOXER, THIS! We have a WINNER on aisle 7!!
Sometimes, in an attempt to gain sympathy for a killer, people repeatedly demonized their victims. Sadly, it goes from "mildly suggestive" (what were they wearing? why were they alone? in the case of attack on females) to scandalous aspersions upon the victim's character. Hey, Baby Mama Drama is pretty common in courts these days. Young parents, lots of emotional pain....but did anyone notice RM's parental rights were not taken away, nor did he have an RO against him. It looks as if he had worked quite a few things out. Not only saints are victimized...just trying to be fair.

Curiously, prior to RM’s recent domestic violence conviction, in 2014 he was convicted for a prior incident where a No Contact Order was issued, similar to the current situation between SR and TJ.

That’s what I think is bizarre, how it seems as if TJ mirrored RM’s prior domestic related crimes....except of course TJ allegedly took it much further in murdering RM, the victim.

Case Search - MyCase
Charges
Show all charge details
01 06/01/2014 Residential Entry
02 06/01/2014 Criminal Mischief
03 06/01/2014 Interference With Custody
Chronological Case Summary
06/02/2014
Converted Event
PRISONER/JAIL

06/02/2014
Converted Event
Defendant appears in custody. Initial hearing conducted. Defendant indicates hiring private counsel. Court sets following dates: CASE MANAGEMENT on 6/20/2014 at 8:30 a.m; PRE-TRIAL CONFERENCE on 7/25/2014 at 8:30 a.m. and JURY TRIAL on 8/5/2014 at 8:30 a.m. The Court now enters no contact order as to the victim, KH and no contact with the victim, JH until a parenting time order has been entered. Bail in the sum $2,500 surety or $250 cash and report immediately to Tippecanoe County Community Corrections to participate on the pre-trial release program with recommendation for GPS monitoring to insure compliance with no contact order. Sean M. Persin, Magistrate.....(more)

RM’s most recent conviction for Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated Endangering a Person, Sept/18 adds to the mystery because it appears his “Specialized Driving Permit” was revoked on April 16/19, the same day a warrant was issued for his arrest for failure to appear at a hearing that day, after violating the terms of his probation. May 2/19 he was located and the next day he paid a cash bond. Another hearing was originally scheduled May 28/19 with the State petitioning that his probation be revoked and that he spend the remainder of his sentence in jail (180 days). The above is my interpretation of the court file but it’s evident his murder occurred during a time he was facing serious legal issues as well.

If this has absolutely no connection to TJ whatsoever I’d be very surprised. As RM and TJ worked together, if TJ had no vehicle and RM had no licence, at the very least that might explain the connection between the two.

Case Search - MyCase

Marriage of convenience, almost IMO.

@MistyWaters really makes you wonder. Looking at social media and what others are saying on WLFI and JC online. TJ has lots of support. I was suprised at first. But the more I read it really makes me wonder. If he was this monster that SR and some say, Why does he have so much support? I dont know if you follow any of it on fb but I was floored at the people saying something doesn't seem right. I seen a lady that posted she worked at gas station and TJ came in all the time. She said he was the kindest person you would ever meet. My head spins lol

Looks like there is no doubt TJ had good manners and loved animals. Protective orders are hard to get, expire quickly require proof.
My question is why was TJ not on to college? Apparently he excelled academically. Was he insisting on gap year working at Arconic? Dropped first semester due to overload or partying?
RM looks to be a blue collar guy from Lafayette, in trouble due to DWIs with a criminal edge.

Yes, I was thinking he probably hit him on the head from behind. How cowardly, if so.

Did any of the reports say they had proof of him being at RM house? I pulled up and it looked like SR just told police he was there. Wondering if she was able to show proof? I'm sure in a case like this you wouldn't want a public defender. So many twist.

Looks like there is no doubt TJ had good manners and loved animals. Protective orders are hard to get, expire quickly require proof.
My question is why was TJ not on to college? Apparently he excelled academically. Was he insisting on gap year working at Arconic? Dropped first semester due to overload or partying?
RM looks to be a blue collar guy from Lafayette, in trouble due to DWIs with a criminal edge.
Some people choose to go to work in place of college. The pay at Arconic is very good, from what I hear.

Normally, yes, but we don't know the state of mind. His behaviour wasn't usual at all, Hiding the body and cushions in a closet and asking the girls to come back.

MOO not unusual id aome
Did any of the reports say they had proof of him being at RM house? I pulled up and it looked like SR just told police he was there. Wondering if she was able to show proof? I'm sure in a case like this you wouldn't want a public defender. So many twist.

Good question. So is it your opinion is that she called 911 because RM didn't up on time, and lied to the police
about seeing TJ at RMs house?

I'm not talking about RM but TJ. In TJ MyCase (see below post I made a day or so ago) it mentions a warrant. I will have to go back and see what it says now, it could have been a mistake.
Could be a protection order for people that can't contact him? Not sure, could be a standard thing or a mistake. He is already in jail so that doesnt make since.

Some people choose to go to work in place of college. The pay at Arconic is very good, from what I hear.

I looked on Glassdoor, they mention Arconic has decent pay - TJ would have been a starting out printer. He was on his high school academic quiz bowl team. Of course he could have decided to work instead if college.

Last edited:
Could be a protection order for people that can't contact him? Not sure, could be a standard thing or a mistake. He is already in jail so that doesnt make since.

No contact. Phone calls emails, etc. all
possible from jail.

The protective orders would be against them if they were prohibited from contacting him.

MOO not unusual id aome

Good question. So is it your opinion is that she called 911 because RM didn't up on time, and lied to the police
about seeing TJ at RMs house?
@Boxer I'm not sure. Just seems odd all of it. Normally someone doesn't report someone missing when they are just a little late. Was SR upset that RM didn't tell TJ or other they were together? I still keep going back to if she was scared of TJ and got a PO why move so close to him and date his coworker?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back