Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyanide was my first thought -- from what little I know, and from an article I just read, it sounds like it could be possible with the scenario here, but I am no medical source by a long shot.
Hoping @Hell0000nurse will set me straight if cyanide wouldn't apply -- or how it might be possible...

More info:
Cyanide Poisoning Treatment, Symptoms & Effects
That is entirely possible too. Its quick and painful which would account for her shriek. It really could be so many things.
www.labroots.com/trending/videos/11035/the-science-behind-how-cyanide-kills-you/amp

But let’s say the other couple dying is a coincidence. What if Miranda had a clot form during her travel and suffered from a pulmonary embolism?

Then the cause of death would have been pulmonary embolism, not pulmonary edema and respiratory failure, no? While PE can be difficult to diagnose in some cases, it is quite straightforward to identify post-mortem via the presence of thrombi.

My guess is she and the other couple both died from acute non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema, which can be triggered by toxins or drugs, and which, if not treated rapidly, can lead to respiratory failure and death.

If this was indeed a poisoning, what poisons or toxins do you think are most likely to have been added to the beverage?

I read of a case study where the herbicide glyphosate (Roundup) caused acute pulmonary edema, so that's a possibility, but I don't feel it's terribly likely.

Some mentioned cyanide... but usually cyanide poisoning has other symptoms beyond just dyspnea followed by death; for example, seizures are common with cyanide, and cause of death is typically cardiac arrest.

Wracking my brain -- the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced this was no accident.

Last edited:
Folks, it's early in this case, so please stick to discussing the specifics of this case without discussing and linking to many other cases from all over the place that may not be related. It gets very confusing when members start discussing details of numerous cases when other member and guests are coming to read about this particular case.

Thanks.

This case is being discussed on another thread. I wish they would merge the 2. I’m also suspicious of the bottles in the room but also am wondering if perhaps she suffered a clot during her travel and had an acute pulmonary embolism.

If the threads are duplicates, the mods can merge them. You can click on the "report" button on the first post of each thread and ask that mods merge, or copy/paste link to one thread and click "report" on first post of the other thread and provide link.

I talked to a friend who goes there every year. He is well to do and said that his resort is in a more desirable location.

He said that the one where the woman was beaten to death was not a good area. I could not remember the other ones where there are issues and I forgot where he said he stays.

I felt he was getting defensive so I did not want him to feel I was criticizing his vacation choice.

Does anyone know how the locations are of these resorts?

I saw news coverage about all three deaths recently.

What shocked me is they reported since 2005 iirc 105 American have died there.

I don't believe in coincidences especially 3 people dying at the same place, and all with respiratory failure.

It blew my mind they did not do toxicology testing on any of the three sudden deaths.

Imoo

I don't believe in coincidences especially 3 people dying at the same place, and all with respiratory failure.

It blew my mind they did not do toxicology testing on any of the three sudden deaths.

Imoo

Wow! Can you give us a link/whatever to the other American deaths? This is NO coincidence. IMO, too many deaths. What American resort/hotel would get away with this?

"the family is having a hard time believing respiratory issues caused the couple's deaths"

Did the DR return their bodies to the relatives? I would want a full postmortem on both. I would find it "impossible" to believe they both died at the same time in their rooms, unless it was carbon monoxide or something they both ingested? There has to be a reason they both died at the same time other than they both suffered from the same lung disease?

I don't believe they could pay me enough to plan a vacation in the DR. MOO

I’d be curious to know if any other American’s were staying at the same resort during the same time frame. And if so did they take advantage of their room mini bar? Anyone see anywhere where anyone has spoken out about being there at the same time?

Just something tickling the back of my mind and not something i would have considered had i not experienced it before.... but on a minor scale...
Any chance an employee or competition wanted to put a dent in the resort' s reputation?
A restaurant that i used to order from quite frequently because they offered a specific dish that other similar restaurants did not have, suddenly did not have the dish i wanted.
Eventually i stopped ordering from there, one day i received a call from the former order taker saying that this new restaurant he was associated with, located across the street from the old place did have the dish i liked and that i should order from there from now on. Huh?
Soon the"old "place went out of business and i learned the new place was owned by the former order taker.
Sabotage! imo.

Just something tickling the back of my mind and not something i would have considered had i not experienced it before.... but on a minor scale...
Any chance an employee or competition wanted to put a dent in the resort' s reputation?
A restaurant that i used to order from quite frequently because they offered a specific dish that other similar restaurants did not have, suddenly did not have the dish i wanted.
Eventually i stopped ordering from there, one day i received a call from the former order taker saying that this new restaurant he was associated with, located across the street from the old place did have the dish i liked and that i should order from there from now on. Huh?
Soon the"old "place went out of business and i learned the new place was owned by the former order taker.
Sabotage! imo.

Chipotle comes to mind.

Imoo

There are plenty of beautiful vacation spots right here in the US. It’s not worth risking your life, not to mention the vulnerability when traveling in a third world country.

IMHO

There are plenty of beautiful vacation spots right here in the US. It’s not worth risking your life, not to mention the vulnerability when traveling in a third world country.

IMHO

Exactly, I totally agree. Let's get aquainted with our own country, spend our tourist dollars at home, perk up our own economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member