Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I can’t take it that far , although the DA did ask the judge to question all of the jurors about being approached by Wallace .
I should add , I really don’t like criticism of juries . This has been an exception for me , to some extent.
It’s more of the feeling I had after the CA trial , that maybe some of the jurors had their own agenda ( book deals, media attn ) .
There’s just something very off . Gut feeling based on the lack of time spent actually deliberating .

Well it's been about 20 hours? That's a good amount of time. And they are following the pattern of the trial schedule sort of. Which was horribly, frustratingly slow.

But if these people didn't care about the case or wanted to wrap up quickly and get a book deal, they wouldn't keep coming back for more. They'd make a show of it and be done in 6 hours. Casey Anthony's jury were done after 10 hours. Not guilty on EVERYTHING that would hold them over for a sentencing phase.

I feel like they're serious, but taking their time and taking breaks.

It could be intense in there, however. And these people are dealing with the deaths of babies.

Maybe the jurors are following the example set by those in the Court.

You would think they would want to get back to their life’s. They was told they could set their own hours pretty much so it’s on them that they are being so lazy. They need to walk a mile in Patrick Mcstays shoes and then maybe they would pull their finger out.

I don't think the trial has been unfair to the defendant. I'm also not ready to criticize the jurors. The scheduling of this entire trial though has been a shitshow and that's on the judge IMO. I can't sit through another one and I won't sit through another one. I can't imagine how it has been for the McStays. Maybe it doesn't seem as bad from their perspective. I hope there's justice for Joseph, Summer, Gianni, and Joey Jr. today or tomorrow.

That's exactly what it seems like to me. I wonder if people who have followed this trial intently just want a verdict now and can't take the wait, so they're finding something wrong with the jury?

I'm kinda impatient because I followed along and felt the evidence was there to convict.

To see the Jury appearing to be not as dedicated as I (who am I but a spectator) think they should, its concerning to me.

In their shoes I would want to get it done and get far away from this trial. It's so horrible.

Obviously they feel differently.

Imo

Well it's been about 20 hours? That's a good amount of time. And they are following the pattern of the trial schedule sort of. Which was horribly, frustratingly slow.

But if these people didn't care about the case or wanted to wrap up quickly and get a book deal, they wouldn't keep coming back for more. They'd make a show of it and be done in 6 hours. Casey Anthony's jury were done after 10 hours. Not guilty on EVERYTHING that would hold them over for a sentencing phase.

I feel like they're serious, but taking their time and taking breaks.

It could be intense in there, however. And these people are dealing with the deaths of babies.
It has been a week so 20 hours doesn’t mean much to me .
I look at it differently . There was a lot of wasted time during the trial & , IMO , a lot of the jurors’ time was wasted . I thought they would be ready to finally get to work & get it done.
I’m baffled that they aren’t in there working , at the very least , like it was a full-time job .
That’s what I’ve come to expect from juries .
Don’t recall anything like this .

That's exactly what it seems like to me. I wonder if people who have followed this trial intently just want a verdict now and can't take the wait, so they're finding something wrong with the jury?
Not me . If they were actually deliberating I’d be fine with as long as it took. They just don’t seem to be spending much time deliberating , IMO.

It has been a week so 20 hours doesn’t mean much to me .
I look at it differently . There was a lot of wasted time during the trial & , IMO , a lot of the jurors’ time was wasted . I thought they would be ready to finally get to work & get it done.
I’m baffled that they aren’t in there working , at the very least , like it was a full-time job .
That’s what I’ve come to expect from juries .

Don’t recall anything like this .

[bbm]

it really does seem to be what most of us expect from juries
I've never seen a trial like this and I hope to not again
the laid-back approach seems out-of-place, almost offensive, for a case where two little kids & their mommy & daddy were brutalized
I said I wouldn't criticize the jury yet and it seems like I am but really, they are just following the direction of the court - it's the judge's fault IMO

Last edited:
I'm kinda impatient because I followed along and felt the evidence was there to convict.

To see the Jury appearing to be not as dedicated as I (who am I but a spectator) think they should, its concerning to me.

In their shoes I would want to get it done and get far away from this trial. It's so horrible.

Obviously they feel differently.

Imo
You have had the luxury to discuss the case all along. The jury was forbidden from discussing it until late last week. Imagine trying to read through just the trial threads and discussing realtime with 11 other people.

You have had the luxury to discuss the case all along. The jury was forbidden from discussing it until late last week. Imagine trying to read through just the trial threads and discussing realtime with 11 other people.

I imagine they each want to go over what they had in their own notebooks. That would be a lot of notes to get through.

really good point
gotta keep reminding myself that their experience is much different than ours

To change the subject a bit , I really hope we hear some resolution to the “Wallace Matter” , even if we don’t see the affidavits.

I would hope that this documentary does not drag the McStay family through the mud . They’ve had to deal with rumors & innuendos for far too long .

This trial has not exactly been a media magnet it would have been 5 years ago so hopefully there won’t be a market for it .

When I think of the McStays I just remember those big smiles & Joey’s kind eyes. Feels like we got to know them a little bit .

were they allowed to take notes? I thought they weren't but I could be confusing cases
Yes , one juror even asked if they could keep their notes after everything was over & JS paused , then said ok ( or sure).
ETA : It was a female alternate . I included video in a follow up post somewhere below.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member