Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I just heard on the news, that pills were found in their room. The implication was that the couple died of drug overdose, without actually saying that. No toxicology results yet.

Same company that the other woman died, at a different resort.

Coincidence? I don't think that I would stay at any property owned by this company.

Last edited:
And I just heard on the news, that pills were found in their room. The implication was that the couple died of drug overdose, without actually saying that. No toxicology results yet.

Same company that the other woman died, at a different resort.

Coincidence? I don't think that I would stay at any property owned by this company.
Interesting! I wonder what the toxicology results will reveal.

You know, I am sure the DR is a beautiful place full of lovely people.

But obviously very dangerous for tourists, and the government/resorts seem uncooperative in these investigations.

I am not headed there anytime soon.

You and me both!! I was just looking into it recently, as it is a very inexpensive vacation, especially from Florida, where we live, and I love the Caribbean. However, inexpensive at the expense of possibly your life, it looks like to me. N0, we are definitely not going there anytime in the near or distant future. MOO. Katt

I don't think we should stop traveling out of the U.S., although, of course there are many beautiful places here. We should be more cautious in our travels and rely on more than googling travel sites. I hope we find out what happened here, but I would probably avoid the Dominican Republic unless I had close friends there to help direct me. The world is a risky place, but with careful research it is as safe to travel outside the U.S. as it is within. MOO

Agreed! I still travel abroad, but third world countries are not in my plans.

IMHO

Last edited:
I don’t doubt that it is some kind of pesticide. Third world countries get shipped banned substances that chemical companies cannot sell anywhere
I agree. The couple from Colorado was diagnosed with organophosphate poisoning upon their return to the US. They had witnessed someone spraying something close to their air conditioner prior to falling ill.

The Dominican used to be the only place left that I thought was mostly safe. These deaths are eye opening. I vacationed there 2-3 times a year during college, by myself! Always felt safe. Looking back though I definitely did a lot of stupid things that put me in dangerous situations but I always had a great time. I was very brave back then. That was before I started reading web sleuths and discovered all the evil out there.

Well, I guess it's settled then, right??? :rolleyes:

I can't agree yet that foul play was involved -- it could be inferior pesticides or cleaners with chemicals that are not allowed in the US. Like spray that is sometimes used on carpets before vacuuming, bathroom cleaners, detergent used on sheets or towels, dish-washing detergent, cooking oil, shampoo, swimming pool chlorine or cleaner, air-conditioning refrigerants, etc., that might only affect some people -- but the couple who were together both dying is an odds-defying occurrence, IMHO.
It's just plain odd.

Whoa, Colorado couple claims they were poisoned at same resort. Couple says they were poisoned at same resort where 3 Americans died - CNN Video

Wow!! In the video they mention their symptoms included drooling, sweating, tearing, and stomach cramps. These are all common side effects from cholinergic drug overdose. (You know how antihistamines like Benadryl do the opposite and dry everything up? That's because they are anticholinergics which decrease acetylcholine.) In the case of acetylcholinesterase inhibition -- the common mechanism of action for many insecticides -- these are cholinergic drugs that increase acetylcholine, thus causing the exact adverse effects described in the Colorado couple (cramping likely due to increased muscle contraction caused by high levels of acetylcholine).

This is definitely due to the not-so-mysterious pesticides that the hotel was spraying outside their room. Oh, and the damage done is irreversible. That is just HORRIBLE!!!!

Not sure if it's related to the more recent deaths, but it certainly could be. Common effects I always remember with the mnemonic SLUDGE: salivation, lacrimation, urination, diaphoresis, GI upset, and emesis, which then can progress to potentially fatal symptoms: fast or slow heart rate including abnormal heart rates (i.e., arrhythmias such as ventricular tachycardia, torsades de pointes), hypotension, bronchospasm, confusion and shock.

Several articles cited above mentioned that the 41-yr-old woman who died from heart attack had an unspecified heart condition 15 years ago. If she had a weakened heart or already had a heart arrhythmia then being exposed to an organophosphate could exacerbate her condition and could certainly trigger a fatal heart attack. ETA: It's odd the husband didn't report any of the SLUDGE effects, though. From what he said, she was feeling fine one minute and dead the next. That makes me unconvinced it's due to a similar insecticide as the CO couple...but it's still probably possible.

According to the articles from above, the couple had internal bleeding and pulmonary edema. At first look, that doesn't sound as likely to be from an OP insecticide. Will have to think about that one more....

Last edited:
Whoa, Colorado couple claims they were poisoned at same resort. Couple says they were poisoned at same resort where 3 Americans died - CNN Video

How horrible to go on a vacation and then have such a bad experience. We have been to Mexico several times, the last time we went, we and another couple got Montezuma's revenge, and believe me, it was bad. Our friends had it worse than we did. We had been to Mexico several times before, but after that last time when we all got so ill, we haven't been back since. Wonder why, LOL.

So, this couple from Colorado.... their symptoms are nauseous, dizzy, etc.... Really quite different from the ones the victims have here, which seem to be primarily sudden respiratory and cardiopulmonary issues and heart failure. Hmmm.. , makes one think, doesn't it?

So, considering the difference in the symptoms, one has to wonder if the toxins could be totally different. Perhaps some could have been orally ingested, and the others ... the Colorado couple... may have been exposed via inhalation ( the insecticides) . JMO

Aside from that, I know one thing, I have never had, and now never will, have a desire to go to the Dominican Republic . JMO

Last edited:
My in laws were looking at this exact hotel when they vacationed with their younger kids in January... I’m glad that A) we didn’t go with our baby, B) in laws ended up choosing a different hotel and company. This company has quite a few resorts down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member