Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What prison would he go to?

It depends on the sentence and what the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) decides (see below). Death row is mostly at San Quentin (Marin county near SF). Otherwise he could go to Donovan (San Diego), Pleasant Valley (Chowchilla), Corcoran (Kings County) to name a few prisons that house some notorious lifers. The ones who are violent within prison can end up at the supermax Pelican Bay (Crescent City), but that’s not likely with CM.

Here’s the process:
Once sentenced to CDCR, the offender is sent to a reception center for processing and transfer to an institution. Processing includes computing a classification score based on such factors as length of sentence, stability, education, employment, and behavior during a prior incarceration.

The classification score determines the type of facility where the offender will be housed. This score may change over time based on individual behavior and specific case factors. Because of this change, an offender may be transferred to a different institution.
Sentencing, Incarceration, & Parole

Delete duplicate post.

Last edited:
Delete duplicate post.

Last edited:
Does the penalty phase begin immediately after the verdict is read? Otherwise, this delayed verdict announcement helps no one.

Usually not. They usually have at least one cooling off day before the sentencing phase begins.

With this one the judge may give them a couple of days before beginning.

Jmo

I'm pretty sure the jurors had to sign the verdict forms, and therefore too late to change minds. The probably came early today to do the paperwork, leaving plenty of time the rest of today to read the verdict and be released from service. Now they have to come back Monday.

Signed forms or not, many states allow the defense to poll the jury individually per charge after the verdict is read. If a juror reverses an opinion, he or she would have the opportunity to vocalize it, possibly leading to further deliberations or even a hung jury.

If I am not mistaken, even though they possibly signed all the forms, what will happen is the judge will poll the jury to ask them if they agree with the verdict form.

So on Monday there is still a chance for a Juror to have second thoughts about what they signed and they may object to their own guilty or not-guilty verdict during verbal polling of the jury.

So I dont think its official until after the verbal polling of the jury by the judge.

As long as this state allows for the jury to be polled individually (most do), you are absolutely correct. imoo

Signed forms or not, many states allow the defense to poll the jury individually per charge after the verdict is read. If a juror reverses an opinion, he or she would have the opportunity to vocalize it, possibly leading to further deliberations or even a hung jury.
I think it's quite unlikely to happen though. It seems as if the jurors already slept on their decisions on the Thursday and came back without a change of heart on Friday morning.

It's the judge who ask the jurors to be polled to confirm their verdict. It's done in each verdict I've ever followed. It's not only done because the defense wants it. Often both sides want them polled.

As for Merritt having to wait along with the grieving family members ....he has more than willingly waited for years now for it to come to trial.

Imo, CM is glad his fate is being delayed. It's few more days he won't have to stand up in court to hear he has been found guilty of all charges.

A few more days before the sledgehammer is slammed down...this time on the baby killer.

It's not the first rodeo for either side when dealing with jurors from this area. Both sides are preparing for the sentencing phase to come.

If CMs attorneys have any truth, and honesty in them they have gone to the jail to prepare him for the inevitable that's coming.

He most likely is enjoying his last weekend before he is going to be found legally guilty of quadruple homicide.

Jmho

Is this normally what happens in a DP murder case once a jury has reached a verdict?
From the trials I've watched it happens more often than not, not just in DP cases. I've never seen one where the juror said they changed their mind but since it can happen the attorneys would be remiss not to ask for it, IMO.

While I await for the verdict to be handed down Monday, I am also looking forward to the sentencing phase to begin. They are like mini trials themselves.

I find them very interesting, and revealing. CM presumption of innocence no longer will exist.

Everything the judge has ruled too prejudicial to come into the guilt phase itself about CM no longer stands.

It's all going to come in, and we are going to hear testimony evidence about things he has done that we may not even know about.

The state has a petri dish of bad character, and prior bad act witnesses to work with. Imo

Jmho

Hey!

Lilibet said:
Sorry about duplicate posts. Wonky site tonight.

I see you posted this about 10:26am MY time! It always goes down from about 10am to 11am for me - so Pacific Time would have been midnight - so every once in awhile - it goes down at that time.

Tortoise said:
From the trials I've watched it happens more often than not, not just in DP cases. I've never seen one where the juror said they changed their mind but since it can happen the attorneys would be remiss not to ask for it, IMO.

But there was one trial I watched (well read the thread) - that the jury was really dumb.... they had to go back - if I recall - twice - as they didn't understand the word "unanimous"!! Someone here will probably remember which that one was.

oceanblueeyes said:
snipped by me....

The state has a petri dish of bad character, and prior bad act witnesses to work with. Imo

Yes ALL his bad acts will be revealed!!

I believe it’d be San Quentin.

San Quentin is tough. Much tougher than where he is now.... I hope he does go there. His visitors will be few and far between IMO. The McStays and Arandas will never get a visit from Joey, Summer, and those precious boys again.

I just thought of something, Summer's brother lives in Hawaii maybe that's part of the delay (along with jurors needing to leave early). Maybe he wants to be there. Just maybe.

MOO

Hey!

I see you posted this about 10:26am MY time! It always goes down from about 10am to 11am for me - so Pacific Time would have been midnight - so every once in awhile - it goes down at that time.

But there was one trial I watched (well read the thread) - that the jury was really dumb.... they had to go back - if I recall - twice - as they didn't understand the word "unanimous"!! Someone here will probably remember which that one was.

Yes ALL his bad acts will be revealed!!

Hey Niner! I do remember that case, and it was fairly recent too iirc.

I was dumbfounded they thought if it wasnt unanimous it meant they had to find the defendant NG.

Omg I think the judge was in total shock how they could have been so clueless. Thank goodness the judge caught the blunder.

But now I cant remember what particular case it was now.. Gah. I sure hope someone else can.
Lol!

Imo

I was dumbfounded they thought if it wasnt unanimous it meant they had to find the defendant NG.

Omg I think the judge was in total shock how they could have been so clueless. Thank goodness the judge caught the blunder.

But now I cant remember what particular case it was now.. Gah. I sure hope someone else can.
Lol!

Imo
Jessica Chambers / Mississippi

Hope CM rots in prison, can't wait until Monday.

I followed one case where this happened (it was live blogged, no streaming), the jury came back with a guilty verdict, jury polled, one said 'No', the judge sent them back to deliberate further, eventually they came back unanimous guilty. I'm pretty sure it was the second trial of three accused where one of the defendants had horns implanted in his head - there is a thread here for his trial (Caius Veiovis).

Found it, it was Chalue, the 2nd tried:

Jury in Berkshire triple murder trial of David Chalue will try again Friday to reach a verdict - masslive.com

Lol!

Imo

Well - I'm going to guess you are about the same age as I.... 71 turning 72 in August! LOL! :D

and I sit here patiently awaiting this verdict!
impatient1.gif

and you all on the West Coast have it easy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288