Found Deceased CA - Davey Johnson, Moto Journalist, Disappears On Motorcycle Trip, CA Route 49, 5 June 2019

I don't think suicide is likely. He was in contact with family. Why would he put them through all the uncertainty and worry?

I think he more likely went into the water to bathe or clean up and got swept away.

[bbm]

if his wallet is missing, it was either stolen by someone who didn't want his laptop or phone too (unlikely) or was in the pocket of pants that he was wearing - why would he wear pants to go swimming or bathing?

regarding the bbm - you could ask the same of anyone who commits suicide

He could have slipped and fell into the water that he texted his friend he was sitting beside. The “clothes” could be his Bike Jacket.

Clothing he was wearing was found or clothing in his back pack? Was his back pack opened and scattered?

I am assuming he had more than one pair of pants, shirt, etc.

RSBM for focus

It appears that the CAR and DRIVER article dotr posted above has been updated:

“[His girlfriend, fellow journalist Jaclyn] Trop and Johnson had spent the previous weekend together in Los Angeles, riding around town on the Honda CB100oR that Johnson was testing for Motorcyclist magazine. Trop flew to Florida on Sunday, and Johnson took the bike to Las Vegas that night. He then drove to Mammoth, California, on Tuesday and then drove through the Sonora Pass Tuesday evening.“ (BBM)
Missing Person: Davey G. Johnson Missing in Northern California

It really depends on personal preference, but based on the above, he probably did have an extra outfit or two, IMO.

I would really like to know whether his shoes (maybe boots?) have been found, and if they have, where.

I'm not really sure that's the rest stop. The road next to the Mokelumne River is at the edge of the Calaveras County Search and Rescue Map upthread, so that may not be it.

The large building to the east of the river is a private home on a bluff, I think. I don't see any road signs that indicate there is a Rest Stop at that intersection

Maybe someone else can show us on the map
Maybe they are talking about the Big Bar Launch Parking Lot:

“Public access to the Mokelumne River is available at Big Bar Launch on Hwy 49 just a few miles outside of the historic town. Here, you can launch your kayak, fish and play at the river.”
Public access to the Mokelumne River is available at Big Bar Launch on Hwy 49 just a few miles outside of the historic town. Here, you can launch your kayak, fish and play at the river.”
Mokelumne Hill Outdoor Recreation: a wild river and wilderness trail

B12AFD36-97A5-4F89-81B4-D79FCC4478A1.jpeg 631F68FD-996B-4F16-AADB-C4B9F53F4749.jpeg

Big Bar Launch
California
Google Maps

Its common practice of many riders to set their gear like this at each stop.
I agree. When I used to ride with my ex-husband and many friends, we always set our helmets and gloves, even sometimes our leather jackets, and never worried about them being stolen. It is very common practice among motorcycle riders. MOO Katt

Maybe they are talking about the Big Bar Launch Parking Lot:

“Public access to the Mokelumne River is available at Big Bar Launch on Hwy 49 just a few miles outside of the historic town. Here, you can launch your kayak, fish and play at the river.”
Public access to the Mokelumne River is available at Big Bar Launch on Hwy 49 just a few miles outside of the historic town. Here, you can launch your kayak, fish and play at the river.”
Mokelumne Hill Outdoor Recreation: a wild river and wilderness trail

View attachment 188272 View attachment 188273

Big Bar Launch
California
Google Maps
Correct. Bike found at Big Bar Launch
Auto journalist and Autoweek alumni Davey Johnson missing after all-night motorcycle ride over Sierra Nevada
Johnson was riding a black Honda CB1000R over Highway 108 from Mammoth Mountain on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada, to the western foothill community of Mokelumne Hill.

Johnson’s motorcycle was found at Big Bar River Access on the North Fork of the Mokelumne River, just north of Mokelumne Hill off Hwy. 49. According to friends and colleagues who have been pursuing information on the search, the bike was found parked safely with the kickstand down. Johnson’s helmet and gloves were with the bike and his backpack and cell phone were nearby.

IMO sounds like he stopped for a dip or to wash up after riding all night. I'd think he be tired as well, after riding across the Sierras during the night. Currents strong there? Quite possible he was caught up in them.

Rest of article states who and how search is being conducted.

We ride, too. What clothes, exactly, were found?

That's a press picture of him, but he's wearing an appropriate armored jacket and armored pants.

I agree, commonly we leave helmet & folded gloves, often the jacket at the parked motorcycle.

Not the pants, folks, not the pants. He is likely an All The Gear, All The Time rider, values his skin & bones & body, and is serious about protective clothing.

He probably didn't hike, or walk every far. The boots & pants are designed & fitted for riding position, not for walking. But, you usually have to take the boots off first to take off the armored pants (usually sized to wear over jeans or other pants) so yeah that doesn't happen for a quick walk.

Mr. Johnson described icy roads to his fellow rider. He is likely wearing long underwear, with wind protection on the front.

He has a couple changes of clothes in the motorcycle's luggage. Also tools, and water.

Heated gear, does anyone know??? We don't own a Honda, is the CB1000R set up for it?

He described himself as "wiped." Fighting wind & icy roads and sometimes darkness is exhausting. When the sun is shining, the black clothing can be hot. Yes, even if the road is icy. Was he trying to get a drink in the stream, out of water bottles?

Did he ride with a Camelback, Ms. Trop would know.

So many questions....

Under the Facebook post linked in the THE DRIVE article shared by dotr upthread, Davey’s last text has been posted in its entirety by his girlfriend, Jaclyn Trop (posted at 12:28 AM EDT on 6/8).

Some additional information shared by the original poster, Abby Bassett, in the Comments section:
• They’ve checked with Honda, and the bike was not fitted with a GPS;

• Davey’s duffle was with the bike;

• When found, the bike showed no signs of problems or being laid down. As of 14 hours ago, AB did not know if it had any fuel left;

• Sheriff’s looking to see if his cards have been used;

• The clothes that have been found are what he was wearing to ride in. The rest of his clothes were in his duffle on the bike;

Also, no one seems to know whether the key to the bike has been located (perhaps it has and is currently in LE’s possession, IMO):
Abby Bassett

ETA: Couldn’t find any information as to whether his boots have been found.

Last edited:
"Icy roads" and he "was wiped." I'm not a rider (have been on the back of a few in my lifetime), so I wonder why he would try to cross the Sierras at night, with the roads still in winter-like conditions. Why not stay overnight in a motel and then ride in daylight? He was testing this bike so did he have some sort of timeline to return it? Or a deadline himself to make it back home? All questions from curiosity and MOO.

they found his riding clothes so he removed them. Why?

Sometimes if people are suffering from hypothermia they remove clothes because they think they are burning up.

Maybe he went in for a dip to cool down. Sounds like he could have gotten really cold out there

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back