Nepal/China - 10 People in 9 Days Die on Mt. Everest as 320 pack dense trail "death zone", May 2019

If you had the kind of money most Everest climbers do, no doubt it's not a problem stepping around the bodies of the dead because to be spending such a great amount on this hobby comes at the expense of a society filled with needy people depending on charities for help. Give to them? No. You are climbing to the top, and it doesn't matter to you who you step around to get there!

All of this is astounding.

"While Nepal does not have any experience requirements for climbers purchasing permits, the government is thinking about changing that, he notes." Quoted from the article above.

Maybe that might be a good idea, as unscrupulous companies are making climbing Everest sound like a camping trip with plenty of "Sherpas" to carry everything.

This article talks about a climber who describes Mount Everest as a "War Zone". His friend died.

The rich want the mountaineering adventure, so Everest is littered with bodies and trash. Everest may be the highest mountain, but it's not a difficult climb. Compared to the others it's a high-altitude hike.

The highest peaks in the world (all in the Himalayas and the surrounding mtn ranges) and their degree of alpine difficulty:

1)
Mt Everest - relatively easy climb with only the altitude causing problems. After portable oxygen was allowed, Everest could be submitted by inexperienced climbers.

2)
K2 - very difficult climb, never successfully summited in winter, rarely have climbers reached the peak from the Chinese side. Called the Savage Mountain, it claims one death per successful climb. Only experienced alpine teams attempt it facing challenges including high-altitude, desolate location w/powerful winds exposing the rock face, avalanches, and sheer walls of stone that need advanced rope/rock climbing.

3)
Kangchenjunga - never summited due to a tradition to always stop right before the summit.

4) Lhotse - has three peaks, the lowest peak is considered the most difficult climb, only achieved in 2001. The peak is sheer rock face on all sides, like a pyramid.

5) Makalulu -
considered the most difficult climb in the Himalayas. Unlike K2 that has a less difficult though still advanced approach, Makululu is difficult on all sides. Sharing K2 desolate location,
  • Because of the mountain’s isolated position, which leaves it exposed to the elements, and numerous knife-edge ridges and pant-filling steep sections, Makalu is viewed by many in the mountaineering community as one of the world’s most difficult climbs. The latter stages of the ascent, in particular, involve some extremely technical rock and ice climbing.
Now if some tells you that they're climbing Everest, tell them it's a dangerous hike during the busy tourist season. Ask them about K2 or Makalulu. See if they recognize these unforgiving mountains.

Last edited:
At the risk of being seen as callous and uncaring, I just have to say that self-centered, egotistical people have absolutely no consideration of others who may have to risk their lives to save them from themselves. These people knew the risks and the hazards involved in their mission and despite all, decided to climb Mt. Everest come what may. I have to say that is the absolutely the most egotistical, self-centered thinking possible. JMO

At the risk of being seen as callous and uncaring, I just have to say that self-centered, egotistical people have absolutely no consideration of others who may have to risk their lives to save them from themselves. These people knew the risks and the hazards involved in their mission and despite all, decided to climb Mt. Everest come what may. I have to say that is the absolutely the most egotistical, self-centered thinking possible. JMO

I agree. Inexperienced climbers have no place on Everest. They put poor people in danger simply for their ego.

Share their dexamethasone injection. Share their oxygen and encourage others to share while helping the altitude sick person get down to a lower altitude.

Or, just push them to the side, pass them, and keep going to the summit. After all, getting to the Summit is the GOAL! Just step over the body on the way down.

Ann Arbor (Michigan) physician summits Mount Everest

This guy Rock Patel is something else. He says he didn’t do it for the glory. It wasn’t so he could post his picture on Facebook and get likes, for him it was spiritual.

Please see the enormous photo of him in the article at the summit. The photo he supplied. I think someone wants attention...
ny5ld2.png

(Photo used with permission of Rock Patel.)

He and his group of 22 stayed on the top of the summit for 30 minutes?! While people were struggling and dying in the line behind him?

Patel and his group decided to wait to reach the summit after the long lines subsided, but that also meant they faced tougher weather conditions on the way down.

BS. He summited on the 23rd, which was the middle of the week in which people were allowed to climb.

"
If someone is really slow, it backs up the traffic behind. That is the start of a bunch of bad things that can happen, which means your summit days are longer and you can run out of oxygen."

Really? You mean someone really slow like you and your 22 person herd hogging up the top of the summit like it was a fraternity mixer for 30 minutes? Perhaps that could start bad things to happen?Of course you did nothing wrong, everyone else is at fault.

"
You see a couple people who were holding up the line who were struggling, and for some reason, they kept pushing on," he said. "You know they are not going to make it, and some of them ultimately ended up dying. That was hard. I'm a physician, so watching people decline and not being able to do anything about it was surreal."

Sorry, what? You saw people dying and struggling, who were holding up the line? I thought you waited to climb after the long lines subsided?

"
I'm really glad I did it," he said. "For the fact I got to the top....I think one of the main reasons I started climbing is because of camaraderie."

As long as you got to the top of the fecal exploding trash heap that used to be a beautiful mountain, yay! Hey comrade, your body is clogging up the trail. Cheers!

Michigan climber reaches Mount Everest summit, but also sees death

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998