Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read post over on TSS Lost Boys, what's with the post and the chicken? So confused. I thought Lesley wasn't talking with Sally so why would she give Sally Marion's ceramic chicken? Also, I know Bill is a private detective but who is he and has he been mentioned on the podcast before? I listen to so many podcasts I forget what has been said in previous episodes.

Also, great idea Itsapuzzle with the phonebooks. I don't think there would be on down here in Melb for NSW. Where would we look?
Hi, I'm just running the 95/96 (066) area code book thru OCR tonight , fingers & toes crossed !

There was a different post on TSS mentioning an accusation to someone unpleasant from TSS. Unproven but then again so was Remakel.
It was talking about the potential pilot.
Sally asked it to be removed. Bill is the Lost Boy from TSS.
Sally may have been upset people might link her mum to the pedo - I personally did not read it that way - rather if she found something she might have felt or been threatened hence vanishing so it is worth considering .

Why would someone living in a ordinary little unit with their own letterbox need a PO Box 9 kilometres away? Could it be to hide money in? Seems very strange .... need to think about this, why have a PO Box?

Could be a privacy issue, (i.e., similar reason people don't typically list their address on an online dating website). Given that advertisement is not in English, could be from someone traveling to Australia (work/vacation) who may not have been fully truthful in their ad (e.g., not really looking for a wife, but moreso a temporary companion while away from home).

Random thought.
Marion disappeared while Sally was preparing to get married. As much as Marion loved Sally I wonder if it was emotionally difficult for her seeing Sally loved-up planning her happily-ever-after when this is exactly what Marion so desperately wanted for herself. It could have made Marion introspective about her life and may have prompted her decision to start afresh (if that's what she did) especially if it strained her relationship with Sally.

Following on from the post on the lost boys page. It had been edited from what I first read this morning. I wish I had screen grabbed it.. Now I can’t view it at all..
Anyway on the original post I read with comments I remember someone commenting saying that Marion disliked Sallys boyfriend.. whom she is now married too.. I don’t believe this for a second as if she disliked him why was he allowed in her home to help her pack up her belongings. Anyway If say it was true then could be a reason why she did not attend the wedding..

Why would someone living in a ordinary little unit with their own letterbox need a PO Box 9 kilometres away? Could it be to hide money in? Seems very strange .... need to think about this, why have a PO Box?
The phone number may have moved with a previous owner. When I moved house, within the same area, I was able to transfer my number with me.

Could be a privacy issue, (i.e., similar reason people don't typically list their address on an online dating website). Given that advertisement is not in English, could be from someone traveling to Australia (work/vacation) who may not have been fully truthful in their ad (e.g., not really looking for a wife, but moreso a temporary companion while away from home).
Good points ..... ah yes, of course Meligator, brilliant ..... privacy, yes, PO Box may merely have been for the personal ad replies, nothing sinister like hiding money and things, ha ha, thanks

The phone number may have moved with a previous owner. When I moved house, within the same area, I was able to transfer my number with me.
Ah yes, could be, I’m definitely not 100 per cent sure that’s the address, just what I found without phone book, someone will know though. I have to say, looking at that address and having seen the Mr Remakel from Episode 11 I would say there’s not a snowflakes chance in hell that he lived there...... definitely got the wrong man .... it’s just not a match at all .... just my thoughts.

It's giving me food for thought. I was of the belief that something untoward has happened to Marion but given the indication of their being a toxic relationship between Mother and children and the fact that Lesley won't speak to Sally I'm leaning towards voluntary disappearance....

Voluntary disappearance is almost a given IMO. But I wouldn't discount the possibility that something untoward has happened after that.

Spontaneous thought .... it's not a question of how many F Remakel's there are in the world now, it's a question of how many there were around in 1994 specifically .... end of spontaneous thought.

Following on from the post on the lost boys page. It had been edited from what I first read this morning. I wish I had screen grabbed it.. Now I can’t view it at all..
Anyway on the original post I read with comments I remember someone commenting saying that Marion disliked Sallys boyfriend.. whom she is now married too.. I don’t believe this for a second as if she disliked him why was he allowed in her home to help her pack up her belongings. Anyway If say it was true then could be a reason why she did not attend the wedding..

I thought the same, it's a huge generalization to say Marion didnt like Sally's boyfriend or that her relationship with Sally was toxic. Family relationships can be complicated, i'm not sure how meaningful those statements are without context.
I did wondered though if maybe Marion didnt share the details of her mystery man because she didnt want to take the shine off her daughters wedding by announcing her own romance/marriage. If the relationship not working out was the reason Marion returned early to Australia she may have wanted to lie low for a bit not ready to face the family. Someone else made a suggestion that I think makes a lot of sense that Marion may not have been intending to make her identity change/disappearance permenant but that Sally checking up at the bank and police being involved may have prompted her to do so

I thought the same, it's a huge generalization to say Marion didnt like Sally's boyfriend or that her relationship with Sally was toxic. Family relationships can be complicated, i'm not sure how meaningful those statements are without context.
I did wondered though if maybe Marion didnt share the details of her mystery man because she didnt want to take the shine off her daughters wedding by announcing her own romance/marriage. If the relationship not working out was the reason Marion returned early to Australia she may have wanted to lie low for a bit not ready to face the family. Someone else made a suggestion that I think makes a lot of sense that Marion may not have been intending to make her identity change/disappearance permenant but that Sally checking up at the bank and police being involved may have prompted her to do so

I agree, ridiculous to imply she wanted to disappear because the relationship wasn’t great.
Also the fact she called to check they were ok after threadbo doesn’t strike me as someone who couldn’t give a crap about her family anymore.
Someone else commented about understanding why Marion left, after being abused by Sally over posting misinformation. Again, incredibly harsh.
My family have had some serious blow ups in my time, but nothing would make my mother just disappear without a trace for 23yrs...nor would I ever do that to my daughter.

I truly think that there was something she was worried about, something she needed to get away from, but then she’s met with foul play...

Did a simple Google search for 'Fernand Remakel soccer Luxembourg' hoping to find a picture, his height or anything else of interest.

Didn't find much other than they list his date of birth as December 2 1947 and state that he retired July 1st 1969.

I just can't get over how they ambushed this man in Luxembourg, it's clearly not him ... they presented an ad at the door saying "this is the ad you wrote"!! growllll .... and they haven't even researched what the F stands for in the ad!! I'm sorry, but it's absolutely shocking, I can't stand it. I'm out of here. Have really enjoyed being with you, you're a great bunch, good luck with everything .... oh boy, I absolutely can't stand that, that poor man. See ya all, take care :)

I just can't get over how they ambushed this man in Luxembourg, it's clearly not him ... they presented an ad at the door saying "this is the ad you wrote"!! growllll .... and they haven't even researched what the F stands for in the ad!! I'm sorry, but it's absolutely shocking, I can't stand it. I'm out of here. Have really enjoyed being with you, you're a great bunch, good luck with everything .... oh boy, I absolutely can't stand that, that poor man. See ya all, take care :)

I thought it was pretty cringe worthy too. A similar approach to my door would have seen them sent on their way far more promptly.

Having said that, they thought enough things lined up to make it worth jumping on a plane, and having spent the money and time they weren't going to die wondering.

Just listened to a episode 11 again, where Sally’s cousin sent the link to how to get a Luxembourg passport. 3 years of marriage and she would qualify. The fact the ad stating F Remakel wanted marriage in 1994 and Marion goes missing 3 years later and is a ‘housewife from Luxembourg’. All seems to be adding together to me ‍♀️

Also- it was the third day they visited. On at least one of the earlier visits, the whole team, including big camera, went to the door. FR may not have been home, but I bet there was at least one neighbour who was. If FR knew of the previous visits, he was probably pretty freaked out.

Just listened to a episode 11 again, where Sally’s cousin sent the link to how to get a Luxembourg passport. 3 years of marriage and she would qualify. The fact the ad stating F Remakel wanted marriage in 1994 and Marion goes missing 3 years later and is a ‘housewife from Luxembourg’. All seems to be adding together to me ‍♀️

Wow, great thinking, couldn’t work out how the 1994 ad and 1997 Sally name change could be related at all, a good point to ponder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni