Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHO cares about his appeals? The DP will have MUCH more stringent policies about him having a life while in prison. I bet you even HE is hoping for the DP, due to his previous prison experience and KNOWING what happens to baby killers in prison. If he gets LWOP, he will have to live among the population, which in his case, more than likely won't last long. If he gets the DP, he has a chance of dying in his cell rather than being a target on the yard. Even IF he gets Protective Custody, which they now call "The Special Needs" yard.

CM has made his bed, now he has to lay in it, IMO.
BBM, Exactly, and we're not even done with the penalty phase yet.

In California now, the "Protective Custody" in prison is now called the "Special Needs" housing. I personally know of at least 4 different inmates, who "hoaxed" their way from general population to the SN yard in order to "hit" other inmates. Three of the 4 inmates actually ended up killing the SN inmates
Maybe they already know who he is and are patiently waiting for him.

I can GUARANTEE inmates from San Diego/Fallbrook area KNOW who he is and what he has done. CM will be as popular as Jeffrey Dahlmer in prison.

I followed this case up until a few weeks after CM was charged, but somehow missed the trial. Can someone tell me why the trial took 5 months?
It actually only took 56 days, 59 if you include closing arguments.
JS said Fridays were dark from the beginning . Every appt , excuse , illness (of a single atty ), by a juror , the judge or counsel, shut the trial down. Witnesses were not scheduled when they could have been. Experts might have scheduling conflifts , defense wanted to play all 8 hours of an interrogation ( they couldn’t but it took forever to agree on what could be played). Just a continuous scheduling nightmare .

In California now, the "Protective Custody" in prison is now called the "Special Needs" housing. I personally know of at least 4 different inmates, who "hoaxed" their way from general population to the SN yard in order to "hit" other inmates. Three of the 4 inmates actually ended up killing the SN inmates

I can GUARANTEE inmates from San Diego/Fallbrook area KNOW who he is and what he has done. CM will be as popular as Jeffrey Dahlmer in prison.

Hmm...so it seems no matter which way the jury votes, CM has a death sentence hanging over his head.

I believe this to be a guarantee you can honor. Chris Watts--another baby killer--is housed in an out of state prison solely for his own protection and even with that he will never rest easy.
IIRC , it’s also for the protection of correctional officers who could be at risk if there’s a conflict or a fight breaks out & they have to defend/protect CW or anyone like him.

Hmm...so it seems no matter which way the jury votes, CM has a death sentence hanging over his head.

Yes. That is just how prison actually works here. IF he has the chance to be housed with ANY other inmates, he will become a victim, IMO. You would be AMAZED at how resourceful inmates are in finding out who you are and what you are about when being sent to prison. The Ca State System has so many holes in it, even inmates can get copies of YOUR court records. In my years of working in the system, I can't tell you how many times I've heard the saying: "We looked up your papers," referring to inmates who had court papers about other inmate cases/witnesses/snitches etc.

They use THOSE documents, rather than just inmate hearsay. Once it is in writing, it might as well be written in stone.

I am hoping the jury comes back with the death penalty. Anything less, and the two timed felon convicted quadruple murderer will claim a small victory thinking the jury must have had a lingering doubt. He will milk that for all it is worth.

IIRC , it’s also for the protection of correctional officers who could be at risk if there’s a conflict or a fight breaks out & they have to defend/protect CW or anyone like him.

CM will ALWAYS need to be protected by the State, IMO. The State will accomplish this by housing him with either 1 inmate or alone these days. He will always be shackled everytime he leaves his cell. The guards will have to make sure the hallway(s) are clear everytime he has to have med call/visit/etc. His LIFE will depend upon the security he receives as a DP inmate, IMO.

I am hoping the jury comes back with the death penalty. Anything less, and the two timed felon convicted quadruple murderer will claim a small victory thinking the jury must have had a lingering doubt. He will milk that for all it is worth.
I think the jury will vote for the DP considering there were four victims murdered including two very young children. The maximum penalty is what he deserves IMO.

San Quentin facts and trivia
The death row at San Quentin is divided into three sections: the quiet "North-Segregation" or "North-Seg," built in 1934, for prisoners who "don't cause trouble"; the "East Block," a "crumbling, leaky maze of a place built in 1927"; and the "Adjustment Center" for the "worst of the worst." Most of the prison's death row inmates reside in the East Block.

The dining hall has three murals painted by Alfredo Santos, a famed artist who did time there for drug possession. The murals chronicle California's history and Mr. Santos's view on life. It is reported that the Smithsonian will inherit the murals should the State of California sell the San Quentin land.

The prison is situated on ultra prime real estate, overlooking the SF Bay. Entry from the east goes through San Quentin Village which looks like a beautiful and quaint sea side village. The houses are well kept, with white picket fences and beautiful gardens. Old victorian houses dot the beautiful Marin hills and come with spectacular views. Much of the housing is occupied by prison officials and employees. A few of the houses provide free lodging for out of area visitors. Across the street, there are stairs leading to a small beach. I used to go fishing there. It is a beautiful place sitting beneath the San Rafael bridge, with the Bay bridge in the near distance. The Golden Gate is nearby too.

Just inside the prison gates is the San Quentin Handicraft Shop. Open to the public, patrons will find handcrafted items made by death row inmates. A sign on the store’s door notes that of 750 prisoners currently on death row, 430 participate in the prison’s “Hobby Program.”

San Quentin was built in 1854, and has a rich and interesting history.

San Quentin facts and trivia
The death row at San Quentin is divided into three sections: the quiet "North-Segregation" or "North-Seg," built in 1934, for prisoners who "don't cause trouble"; the "East Block," a "crumbling, leaky maze of a place built in 1927"; and the "Adjustment Center" for the "worst of the worst." Most of the prison's death row inmates reside in the East Block.

The dining hall has three murals painted by Alfredo Santos, a famed artist who did time there for drug possession. The murals chronicle California's history and Mr. Santos's view on life. It is reported that the Smithsonian will inherit the murals should the State of California sell the San Quentin land.

The prison is situated on ultra prime real estate, overlooking the SF Bay. Entry from the east goes through San Quentin Village which looks like a beautiful and quaint sea side village. The houses are well kept, with white picket fences and beautiful gardens. Old victorian houses dot the beautiful Marin hills and come with spectacular views. Much of the housing is occupied by prison officials and employees. A few of the houses provide free lodging for out of area visitors. Across the street, there are stairs leading to a small beach. I used to go fishing there. It is a beautiful place sitting beneath the San Rafael bridge, with the Bay bridge in the near distance. The Golden Gate is nearby too.

Just inside the prison gates is the San Quentin Handicraft Shop. Open to the public, patrons will find handcrafted items made by death row inmates. A sign on the store’s door notes that of 750 prisoners currently on death row, 430 participate in the prison’s “Hobby Program.”

San Quentin was built in 1854, and has a rich and interesting history.

This is a great description of San Quentin, and it truly is in a spectacularly beautiful location...wasted on the prisoners.

When we were full-time RVers for 8+ years, we parked our rig at the Marin RV Park in Greenbrae when we visited family and friends in the Bay Area. Adjacent to the RV park you can climb a small rise that has an old, unused railroad track where you can see San Quentin across the water not far away. We were there one time after Scott Peterson arrived on death row and I remember standing on the tracks looking at San Quentin and thinking about what he had done...and being so glad he was there on death row.

Between about 29 and 40 seconds on this video you can see the railroad tracks and a blurry view of San Quentin on a spit of land sticking out into the bay.
Marin Park: A Video Introduction - Marin RV Park

This is a great description of San Quentin, and it truly is in a spectacularly beautiful location...wasted on the prisoners.

When we were full-time RVers for 8+ years, we parked our rig at the Marin RV Park in Greenbrae when we visited family and friends in the Bay Area. Adjacent to the RV park you can climb a small rise that has an old, unused railroad track where you can see San Quentin across the water not far away. We were there one time after Scott Peterson arrived on death row and I remember standing on the tracks looking at San Quentin and thinking about what he had done...and being so glad he was there on death row.

Between about 29 and 40 seconds on this video you can see the railroad tracks and a blurry view of San Quentin on a spit of land sticking out into the bay.
Marin Park: A Video Introduction - Marin RV Park

I know exactly where you are talking about. Clint Eastwood shot scenes from Dirty Harry there. My grandparents lived in San Anselmo for 65 years and I spent several years in San Rafael. Very beautiful place and San Quentin is just part of that landscape. I'm sure the inside isn't nearly as pleasant as it is outside.

I know the people enjoy fantasizing about how prisons work, but I can't understand how such barbaric actions can still occur inside a US prison. I pray for a day when the thought of such barbaric situations is merely a long forgotten fantasy.

Its not hard to figure out why those who get released come out much more dangerous than when they entered.

I know exactly where you are talking about. Clint Eastwood shot scenes from Dirty Harry there. My grandparents lived in San Anselmo for 65 years and I spent several years in San Rafael. Very beautiful place and San Quentin is just part of that landscape. I'm sure the inside isn't nearly as pleasant as it is outside.

OT—That’s funny. I had no idea about Dirty Harry being filmed near there because I’ve never seen it. Shame on me! I grew up in the East Bay and after the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge was built we’d drive right by San Quentin en route to Marin County for excursions. It always seemed eery to me, as did looking at Alcatraz while crossing the Bay Bridge when there were actually prisoners there, including Machine Gun Kelly and The Birdman Of Alcatraz (dating myself).

I know the people enjoy fantasizing about how prisons work, but I can't understand how such barbaric actions can still occur inside a US prison. I pray for a day when the thought of such barbaric situations is merely a long forgotten fantasy.

I recall in the Watt's case that "street justice" guy (he has a forum on the homepage) went on some of those crime shows raving on about how Chris Watts would be murdered in prison. A poster called him out on that not being supported by facts from the relevant state prison system.

There must be a lot of kid killers in US prisons who aren't dead yet ;)

What would Summer tell us about those last days, weeks and months leading up to the murders?

That is what was on my mind when I woke up this morning. You see, I experienced a similar dynamic where an abuser tried to dig into my life.

It's insidious, and here is what happens.

Joe, as the victim, is caught between his loyalty to his wife, and his loyalty to his "friend". He'll always be trying to make it right. Trying to mediate. Joe is confused by Summer's hostility to CM. Old "Chase" is a great guy. Everyone likes him but you. Why can't you get on? And to CM. Why wind Summer up like that? You get on with everyone else - you are earning me grief man!

None of this is accidental. The abuser intentionally seeks to damage Joey's relationship with Summer to increase his control over his victim. CM bad mouths Summer and the kids to Joey's family - indeed whenever he can. He poisons people against her.

Joe will begin to resent being piggy in the middle all the time and fight with Summer about Chase. That's what happens. You spend more and more time fighting about this poisonous person in your lives.

Summer doesn't get why Joe can't see it. But here is the truly evil part.

CM shows his real face to Summer. The one Joe never sees. It's not that Summer is way more perceptive than Joe. It is that Chase reveals himself to her. This is why Summer is isolated. Chase is charming to everyone except her. They all know the nice Chase who is down on his luck. She knows the evil guy under the skin.

Summer resents this person in her life. She resents Joe for bringing him into the home. She fights with Joe because he won't listen. Because he's similar to an abused wife. He blames himself. He believes Chase's sob stories. He always hopes for a resolution. A candle of loyalty still burns.

This is where the abuser cranks up the tension. He is always there - including unannounced. He is calling all the time.

He knows the precise grapple points to hook in. The things you share that can't be ignored. Maybe your house project. Maybe your business. Your money.

Always money. Oh how Summer resented the money as she saw Joe get used time and again. Remember its not just Joe's money. They are married. It's her money. It's her money that CM cons. So what better place to stoke up a new conflict than over money?

It can take years to dig out of this abusive cycle. And it is not a straight line process. You can have a year of seemingly better times, before a new crisis hits.

IMO Summer was winning but sadly we can never know what her and Joe decided about Chase. She was silenced. What we do know is that Joe had slashed Chase's role in 2009. What we do know is things were on the up for the McStays. New home, increasing sales, great clients ....

What we do know is the abuser became a heavy presence in their lives in the last weeks

What we do know is he then did something so outrageous that it was certain to cause a huge ruction between Summer and Joe ... Something that would make Summer wildly angry. Something Joe might have to hide from Summer.

What would Summer tell us about those last days and hours? What did she find out? What boundary did she finally draw?

My 02c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member