GUILTY AZ - Navneet Kaur, 30, Phoenix, 30 March 2007 *Arrest*

I won't put H4M's great summary of the binders issue, but, in response, it does sound like this trial is going to have some VERY interesting "issues", lots of "meat on the bone".

I like it!

I'm also trying to visualize how 2 FBI agents beat Grewal to India and were able to meet him at the plane. They must have a station in India and he landed nearby?

Heh. The FBI agents would have had to time travel to pull that one off. ;) They flew to India years later to extradite Grewal, after Grewal lost his final legal battle against being returned to the US.

The original Grewal & plane story involved Arizona LE very quickly establishing who killed Kaur & when; that Grewal had flown out of Phoenix to Newark, that he had bought a one-way ticket to New Delhi in Newark, and that his plane had taken off 30 minutes before they had figured all of that out.

Grewal was arrested the moment he landed in India, but by Indian LE, not by the FBI.

Last edited:
Pocket- I hope your neighbor is OK, and that you are too. Hugs......
It looks like poor Niner will post 'No info yet. Trial continues..' for about 50 more times. Thank you Niner, though.:)
Why is this trial expected to last 3 months, I wonder.

(Unfortunately, neighbor's condition is getting worse. Hopefully will find out what's going on next week. And she lives alone. Her sister is flying in from Japan in about 2 weeks)

Heh. The FBI agents would have had to time travel to pull that one off. ;) They flew to India years later to extradite Grewal, after Grewal lost his final legal battle against being returned to the US.

The original Grewal & plane story involved Arizona LE very quickly establishing who killed Kaur & when; that Grewal had flown out of Phoenix to Newark, that he had bought a one-way ticket to New Delhi in Newark, and that his plane had taken off 30 minutes before they had figured all of that out.

Grewal was arrested the moment he landed in India, but by Indian LE, not by the FBI.

Well, that answers that question. IIRC, though, there are FBI stations around the world, prolly in the embassies. It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a station in India.

Much credit to AZ LE for lightning-fast detective work and getting out-of-country LE on it.

It looks like poor Niner will post 'No info yet. Trial continues..' for about 50 more times. Thank you Niner, though.:)

(Unfortunately, neighbor's condition is getting worse. Hopefully will find out what's going on next week. And she lives alone. Her sister is flying in from Japan in about 2 weeks)

You got that right pocketaccent! And you are quite welcome! :)

Hopefully some reporter will write something. I still haven't seen anything about this trial - very strange if you ask me....

Monday, June 10th:
*Trial continues (Day 6) (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor
Extradited from India to U.S. (9/14/11).
Trial started 6/3/19. Jury is 8 people. Trial should last about 3 months.

6/3/19 Day 1: Opening statements. State witnesses: Gina Wilkins (Co-worker). No other info. Trial continues to 6/4.
6/4/19 Day 2: No idea… Trial continues on 6/5. 6/5/19 Day 3: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/6. 6/6/19 Day 4: no info yet. Trial continues on 6/7.
6/7/19 Day 5: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/10.

Well, I guess no reporters are covering this trial.....

What a difference for her it must make, to not have to go through this scary time alone. Though, that's a lot for you to carry, dear Pocket. Please take care of you too.

As for this puzzling trial, which was national news & high profile back in 2014, but seemingly of no interest now. Why 3 months long indeed. What is it about Maricopa County Superior Court trials that they are so long? This isn't even a DP trial anymore.

Meanwhile, for example, the guilt phase of the Timothy Jones DP trial in SC concluded in less than 3 weeks, even with just as many (more, actually) psych witnesses testifying as during 's trial.

Niner, I'll team up with you by posting what I find in the Court's Minute Entries. :)

State witnesses after Gina Wilkens: Clifton Jewel, John Hu, Alan Kreitl, and Eric Davis.

The name Alan Kreitl provides a (tiny) clue. He was JM's handwriting expert for 's trial.

The jury asked Jewel & Hu a small handful of questions apiece, there didn't seem to be any squabbling by attorneys about the questions.

A notebook & receipt contained within are precluded from evidence, will be preserved for appeal.

Juror #5 was excused for illness. Juror #11 saw the bailiff at a gym, but both sides said no biggie, keep juror on.

(Spare pickings, I know).

Thank you Hope4More - I'm going to take it - these witnesses were for Day 1 - correct?

Ok, Court Minute Entries date the trial differently, so will give both dates in case anyone wants to look up the entries themselves.

Your day one is Minute Entry (ME) Day 4.

On day 1/4: opening statements, Gina Wilkens, Kwan Jin (the officer first on the scene who found Kaur's body in the bathroom) , and Clifton Jewell.

I'm guessing Jewell was/is the State's lead detective for Kaur's case, given where he is in the lineup, the fact that he introduced many exhibits, incuding one with diagrams, and his length of time on the stand.

[[ETA: looked Jewell up. He's a retired Phoenix LE (detective). Officer Jin's role is mentioned in a news article from back then.]]

Day 2/5. Clifton Jewell, entire day.

Day 3/6. John Hu. Alan Kreitl then Eric Davis are sworn in, testify, and are excused in less than an hour overall: between 3:15-4PM. That's mighty speedy.

((It's a Maricopa trial all right. Jury was excused at 4PM yesterday & asked to return today at 1:30PM)).

Last edited:
John Hu is a medical examiner. He testified for the State during the Chronis hearing in April 2015 (hearing on whether or not the alleged crime was DP eligible).

His testimony then is likely his testimony at trial, and was/is (?):

1. Cause of death was manual (by hands) strangulation.

2. She was likely still alive when submerged in bathtub (because blood was in tub water), but didn't drown (too little water in lungs & stomach).

3. Couldn't say with certainty whether she was still conscious when placed in tub, but likely not.

4. She didn't have any defensive wounds, nor any marks on her arms; interprets as an indication there was no struggle.

5. She had bruises on her neck, on one ear, and on her forehead, as well as a laceration near one of her eyebrows; the eyebrow laceration & ear bruise are attributed to blunt force impacts.

((BTW: Hu also noted that Kaun did indeed have a heart condition, that she had had heart surgery, and that she had been taking blood thinning meds. ...which helps explain Grewal's fishing expedition for a list of her prescriptions).

Tuesday, June 11th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor

6/3/19 Day 1: Opening statements. State witnesses: Gina Wilkins (Co-worker). Kwan Jin. Lead Detective Clifton Jewell.
6/4/19 Day 2: State witness: Lead Detective Clifton Jewell.
6/5/19 Day 3: State witnesses: John Hu (Medical Examiner). Alan Kreitl, and Eric Davis. Juror #5 was excused for illness. Juror #11 saw the bailiff at a gym, but both sides said no biggie, keep juror on. Trial continues to 6/6.
6/6/19 Day 4: no info yet. Trial continues on 6/7. 6/7/19 Day 5: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/10.
6/10/19 Day 6: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/11.

John Hu is a medical examiner. He testified for the State during the Chronis hearing in April 2015 (hearing on whether or not the alleged crime was DP eligible).

His testimony then is likely his testimony at trial, and was/is (?):

1. Cause of death was manual (by hands) strangulation.

2. She was likely still alive when submerged in bathtub (because blood was in tub water), but didn't drown (too little water in lungs & stomach).

3. Couldn't say with certainty whether she was still conscious when placed in tub, but likely not.

4. She didn't have any defensive wounds, nor any marks on her arms; interprets as an indication there was no struggle.

5. She had bruises on her neck, on one ear, and on her forehead, as well as a laceration near one of her eyebrows; the eyebrow laceration & ear bruise are attributed to blunt force impacts.

((BTW: Hu also noted that Kaun did indeed have a heart condition, that she had had heart surgery, and that she had been taking blood thinning meds. ...which helps explain Grewal's fishing expedition for a list of her prescriptions).
Well, who needs reporters or tweeters when we've got H4M. Thank you Hope & Niner!
Ugh, looks like that evil guy beats her up real badly, and she still wouldn't die so he strangles her to death.

Wednesday, June 12th:
*Trial continues (Day 8) (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor

6/3/19 Day 1: Opening statements. State witnesses: Gina Wilkins (Co-worker). Kwan Jin. Lead Detective Clifton Jewell.

6/5/19 Day 3: State witnesses: John Hu (Medical Examiner). Alan Kreitl, and Eric Davis. Juror #5 was excused for illness. Juror #11 saw the bailiff at a gym, but both sides said no biggie, keep juror on. Trial continues to 6/6.
6/6/19 Day 4: no info yet. Trial continues on 6/7. 6/7/19 Day 5: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/10. 6/10/19 Day 6: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/11.
6/12/19 Day 7: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/12.

Court Minutes Day 7, June 10. (Spoiler alert: The STATE RESTS).

AM is taken up with the discussion of juror #1 needing/asking off jury for medical reasons & medical info being filed under seal. No jury.

Patricia Bond testifies between 1:50-2:16pm, after which the jury is excused, and the judge considers Grewal's attorneys' Motion in Limine to "Precluded State's Evidence That Grewal Told Kaur Prior to Her Death That A Divorce Would Only Happen if She Was Dead, Or Words To That Effect."

William Schira testifies. The Motion to Preclude is granted.

2:22. The jury is brought in. Schira testifies.
2:30. Jury sent back out. Schira testifies.
2:38. Jury brought back in. Schira testifies.
2:42. The State rests.

Defense moves for acquittal. Denied. Trial continued at 6/11, 10:30AM.

(Can't find any info on either witness).

Last edited:
Thursday, June 13th:
*Trial continues (Day 9) (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor

6/6/19 Day 4: no info yet. Trial continues on 6/7. 6/7/19 Day 5: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/10.
6/10/19 Day 6: Discussion of juror #1 needing/asking off jury for medical reasons & medical info being filed under seal. No jury. State witness: Patricia Bond. After which the jury is excused, and the judge considers Grewal's attorneys' Motion in Limine to "Precluded State's Evidence That Grewal Told Kaur Prior to Her Death That A Divorce Would Only Happen if She Was Dead, Or Words To That Effect." State witness: William Schira. The Motion to Preclude is granted. State rests their case. Defense moves for acquittal. Denied. Trial continued at 6/11.
6/11/19 Day 7: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/12.
6/12/19 Day 8: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/13.

Court Minutes Day 7, June 10. (Spoiler alert: The STATE RESTS).

AM is taken up with the discussion of juror #1 needing/asking off jury for medical reasons & medical info being filed under seal. No jury.

Patricia Bond testifies between 1:50-2:16pm, after which the jury is excused, and the judge considers Grewal's attorneys' Motion in Limine to "Precluded State's Evidence That Grewal Told Kaur Prior to Her Death That A Divorce Would Only Happen if She Was Dead, Or Words To That Effect."

William Schira testifies. The Motion to Preclude is granted.

2:22. The jury is brought in. Schira testifies.
2:30. Jury sent back out. Schira testifies.
2:38. Jury brought back in. Schira testifies.
2:42. The State rests.

Defense moves for acquittal. Denied. Trial continued at 6/11, 10:30AM.

(Can't find any info on either witness).
William Schira is a homicide detective. Must be. Found this article below.

http://ktar.com/story/993336/phoenix-police-trying-to-get-to-bottom-of-mans-death/
"His brother has contacted me several times over the years to ask about the the case,” Phoenix Police cold case homicide detective William Schira said.
---------------------------------------------------
I would loved to have seen how JM handled his last witness, to work around the Precluded State's evidence. The jury was sent back out during his testimony so JM must have artfully tried to get the same type of message across to the jury. (Speculating as usual, lol)

Last edited:
The very first article I just received in my google alert - the rest have been of some actress with the same name (Navneet Kaur). BUT!!!! I can't access it here in Europe - stupid EU rules.... :(

So if someone can give a 10% synopsis on this - it would be appreciated! :)

Husband goes on trial for Ahwatukee wife’s slaying

Maybe it has some witnesses names in it?? :D

Friday, June 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 10) (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor

6/10/19 Day 6: Discussion of juror #1 needing/asking off jury for medical reasons & medical info being filed under seal. No jury. State witness: Patricia Bond. After which the jury is excused, and the judge considers Grewal's attorneys' Motion in Limine to "Precluded State's Evidence That Grewal Told Kaur Prior to Her Death That A Divorce Would Only Happen if She Was Dead, Or Words To That Effect." State witness: William Schira. The Motion to Preclude is granted. State rests their case. Defense moves for acquittal. Denied. Trial continued at 6/11.
6/11/19 Day 7: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/12. 6/12/19 Day 8: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/13.
6/13/19 Day 9: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/14.

For all I know - this trial could be over already, since Juan rested on Monday. What would the defense present?

@Hope4More - can you give me the link where you found all that stuff the other day? That way I won't have to bother you again! :)

The very first article I just received in my google alert - the rest have been of some actress with the same name (Navneet Kaur). BUT!!!! I can't access it here in Europe - stupid EU rules.... :(

So if someone can give a 10% synopsis on this - it would be appreciated! :)

Maybe it has some witnesses names in it?? :D
Moments before the opening arguments on June 3, Fink ruled against a defense attempt to introduce evidence that Grewal suffers from autistic spectrum disorder.

Karen Froming, a clinical psychology professor at Palo Alto University, was prepared to testify about Grewal’s “tendency to think in a certain way,’’ and about his “behavioral characteristics.’’

A court document filed by Kirchler gave several examples, including that “Grewal has incredibly rigid thinking and assumes that people are behaving according to how he thinks.’’

The document also said he doesn’t process social situations properly, does not experience relationships in the same manner as others, and strips emotions from his relationships.

But Martinez criticized Kirchler’s tactics as an attempt to improperly influence the jury, in a separate court filing.

“The testimony sought to be introduced represents nothing more than an attempt to improperly bolster the defendant’s credibility and vouch for the truthfulness of his statements,’’ Martinez wrote.
--------------------------------
(No new earth-shattering information is in that article, Niner.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back