GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too much meandering and unneeded distractions on here

Does anyone have something new to offer?

The facts are posted here for 5 years, seems redundant to keep reposting them

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that quote from SS, fred&edna - another mention as to the 'some' 5 miles from her home to where the body was found, being by water/boat. It's good to have the links in one location in case we need them again. I'm also picky on facts when stating facts.

Glad you liked the link for handy reference. The reason I posted it again wasn't related to the 5 (to 6) mile discussions... It was to focus on SS stating her body being found in a wide bend.

Interesting read about Lake Oconee and the dive team helping to locate drowning victims, and other things in the black water.

This lake has unique issues to it,” says Smith. “It’s got flooded forests, it’s got fences and barbed wires. There are parts of the lake where there’s 50 foot of trees and you’re in the middle of a forest.”

They ask questions to pinpoint the exact location; are there three points of reference where the body was last seen? Is the dam open? (If Georgia Power is running the lake, the water will flow north to south and the body will have been pulled by the current)....

Old Salem Dive Team – Lake Oconee Living

Russell Dermond's mother , quite possibly the time or soon thereafter her death, he started the franchises.....maybe retirement plus inheritance helped pave the way

Name: Margaret R Dermond
[Margaret Dermond]
Birth Date: 16 Apr 1906
Death Date: 2 Jun 2001
Claim Date: 28 Apr 1970
SSN: 142169170

Looks like ripe old ages run in the family

He might've lived to be 100

Interesting read about Lake Oconee and the dive team helping to locate drowning victims, and other things in the black water.

This lake has unique issues to it,” says Smith. “It’s got flooded forests, it’s got fences and barbed wires. There are parts of the lake where there’s 50 foot of trees and you’re in the middle of a forest.”

They ask questions to pinpoint the exact location; are there three points of reference where the body was last seen? Is the dam open? (If Georgia Power is running the lake, the water will flow north to south and the body will have been pulled by the current)....

Old Salem Dive Team – Lake Oconee Living

This was very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
I wonder if Georgia Power has its own marking system on maps for tree areas or if the tree areas are actually marked by signs visible to passing fishermen?

This was very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
I wonder if Georgia Power has its own marking system on maps for tree areas or if the tree areas are actually marked by signs visible to passing fishermen?

Well, I don't know for sure but from reading this link about treetop crappie fishing... I don't think they are marked by GA Power. This guy talks about using a depth-finder to locate the best places and a Lake Oconee map that has markings (see the part in bold).

One of the best crappie trees I ever fished in Lake Oconee was in 60 feet of water and that tree came to within 8 feet of the water’s surface.

There are literally hundreds of trees in an individual plot but only a few trees in each underwater plot are productive. The crappie concentrate around the biggest trees in the plot and the tops of the best trees must come within 10 feet of the surface to be a good tree.

You want to look for trees with a huge trunk with limbs protruding out from the tree, and as mentioned earlier, you want to look for trees where the tops come within 8 to 12 feet of the surface. A Lake Oconee map that marks the underwater plots of trees will be a big help when beginning your search.

Outdoors: Summer treetop and brushpile crappie fishing

Last edited:
This is interesting as it mentions movement of concrete blocks and water current.

"Lake Oconee’s and Lake Sinclair’s water current created by the Georgia Power pump back operation at the Wallace Dam can easily move a single concrete block attached to a fish attractor. Since there is a strong water current in the lakes, you can never use too much weight on your fish attractors. Also, main lake locations require more weight than do locations inside coves."

Exploring the placement of manmade fish attractors

Was sitting here thinking about the Chad Haufler case and the fact he owned a forensics cleanup business..............Do we think someone DID clean the house of any DNA evidence?

Clearly RD was beheaded so was there a need to clean up his blood completley from the floor?

We know the perps tried to clean up some of it due to the towels that had smeared blood and and tucked under his torso by the garage door

Would they have made the bed?

OR would they have just cleaned up their dna mess?

Was sitting here thinking about the Chad Haufler case and the fact he owned a forensics cleanup business..............Do we think someone DID clean the house of any DNA evidence?

Clearly RD was beheaded so was there a need to clean up his blood completley from the floor?

We know the perps tried to clean up some of it due to the towels that had smeared blood and and tucked under his torso by the garage door

The Chad Haufler case is quite perplexing. Say, his forensic cleaning business was hired at the Dermonds house to clean up the scene. Do you think there would have been any witnesses? And why did he kill his best friend, who was visiting?

The Chad Haufler case is quite perplexing. Say, his forensic cleaning business was hired at the Dermonds house to clean up the scene. Do you think there would have been any witnesses? And why did he kill his best friend, who was visiting?
Im perplexed too Wildebeest! I did call the DA's office and the case IS on the Trial Calendar............someone suggested over on his thread he may be a black out drunk

Though this makes sense, he lied on the 911 call several things. He also went upstairs to get his gun AFTER bludgeoning his new friend with a tea kettle or something

That is sinister IMO, with the few facts we have

We know he had the forensics cleanup business someone discovered....

Just got to wondering if the Dermonds place MIGHT have been forensically cleaned of any footprints or fingerprints etc that may have accidentally got at the scene

I know some keep asking, as well as myself, HOW were NO bloody footprints at the scene!?

I inquired to the DA early on as well about this case in conjunction with the Dermonds case and matter of factly was told "THERE IS NO connection to the Dermonds case".................well it hasnt been to trial and the guy lied and Im just uncomfortable with that very confident statement so very early in the investigation, when even the guys OWN ATTY didnt know what the helk was going on LOL

SO that statement was premature IMO

Very puzzling, since we dont know who did this, we cant rule out anyone until they are fully investigated adn ruled out IMO

Could it be that Haufler killed the couple so that he would have a job cleaning up the scene and at the same time expanding his business into Georgia?
I would think that SS wouldn't have allowed a forensics cleanup to be done before he released the house to the family.

I wonder if some of the smeared blood on the towels could have come from wiping blood splatters off the perps' skin, gloves or clothes, thereby transferring their DNA onto the towels?

Im perplexed too Wildebeest! I did call the DA's office and the case IS on the Trial Calendar............someone suggested over on his thread he may be a black out drunk

Though this makes sense, he lied on the 911 call several things. He also went upstairs to get his gun AFTER bludgeoning his new friend with a tea kettle or something

That is sinister IMO, with the few facts we have

We know he had the forensics cleanup business someone discovered....

Just got to wondering if the Dermonds place MIGHT have been forensically cleaned of any footprints or fingerprints etc that may have accidentally got at the scene

I know some keep asking, as well as myself, HOW were NO bloody footprints at the scene!?

I inquired to the DA early on as well about this case in conjunction with the Dermonds case and matter of factly was told "THERE IS NO connection to the Dermonds case".................well it hasnt been to trial and the guy lied and Im just uncomfortable with that very confident statement so very early in the investigation, when even the guys OWN ATTY didnt know what the helk was going on LOL

SO that statement was premature IMO

Very puzzling, since we dont know who did this, we cant rule out anyone until they are fully investigated adn ruled out IMO

Agreed. I’m not surprised the DA told you what he did, so we will await the trial.

There had to be a huge amount of blood, considering what happened to Mr. D.

Could it be that Haufler killed the couple so that he would have a job cleaning up the scene and at the same time expanding his business into Georgia?
I would think that SS wouldn't have allowed a forensics cleanup to be done before he released the house to the family.

I wonder if some of the smeared blood on the towels could have come from wiping blood splatters off the perps' skin, gloves or clothes, thereby transferring their DNA onto the towels?
Had to be DNA there, SOMEwhere, SOMEhow

Agreed. I’m not surprised the DA told you what he did, so we will await the trial.

There had to be a huge amount of blood, considering what happened to Mr. D.
Just that it was on the Trial Calendar, the rest was in the news
It bothers me, maybe nothing but I dont know how they can blow it off so easily saying it had nothing to do with D's

maybe, maybe not

but then I wonder if it's similar to the Marianne Schockly case of Baldwin, strangulation involved there too but I really wonder if that was erotic asphyxiation

SO, what were those men up to ? Or were secrets told? IDK

speculation but on Oconee so cant' ignore it yet

I was thinking more along the lines of someone hired hit and who knew how to clean up after the murders.........I dont know that to be so or not saying it was Haufler but it crosses my mind...... he has been on Oconee for years.........just dont know, the forensic cleanup knowledge troubles me

Maybe the said that because they know who killed the Dermonds but just don't have enough to convince a jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe