Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 things surprised me
1- that he did not steal from her bank accounts though he was broke nad could have forced the relevant information from her to access them
2 He conducted searches of i-phone traceability on 12 th.. I wondered whether he had kept it in his possession or was merely trying to figure which route it would show he had taken with her, though the phone itself had been immobilised at 2,28pm...(I think)
And it was quite some time afterwards that he was first interviewed.
I wonder why the GPS tracking in his car gave no info about whatever place he had taken her?

2 things surprised me
1- that he did not steal from her bank accounts though he was broke nad could have forced the relevant information from her to access them
2 He conducted searches of i-phone traceability on 12 th.. I wondered whether he had kept it in his possession or was merely trying to figure which route it would show he had taken with her, though the phone itself had been immobilised at 2,28pm...(I think)
And it was quite some time afterwards that he was first interviewed.
I wonder why the GPS tracking in his car gave no info about whatever place he had taken her?

BBM

Might have failed, or been disabled for that very reason.

IIRC, wife stated (no link) 1/2 tank of gas was gone, but that could have been 1 1/2 tanks or 2 1/2 tanks, right?

That Drano will dissolve most anything.

JMHO YMMV

BBM

Might have failed, or been disabled for that very reason.

IIRC, wife stated (no link) 1/2 tank of gas was gone, but that could have been 1 1/2 tanks or 2 1/2 tanks, right?

That Drano will dissolve most anything.

JMHO YMMV
Good point .
It wont dissolve it fast enough though... not in 3 days... the drano, i mean.
He would have needed hydrogen peroxide h202 for the blood...
Then there's bones too...

If anyone ever sees me sticking my nose into another fBI case on this website, please boot me off immediately.I have no patience for any of this.
It is ludicrous, outrageous and the most appalling disrespect for any victim I have ever seen or their next of kin.
Edit- yeah, great point @Laughing re the quantity of petrol... Was Michelle protecting him at that point too?

Her family want the death penalty for him. It appears to be a matter of honour for them.
It has been suggested that they would be willing to trade death for LWAP if he discloses the location of her remains.
He has not.
No evidence suggesting he has destroyed them or caused them to be destroyed has been presented or even suggested. Cops searched through 2018, THEY SAID.

Making it even less likely that BC had time to destroy her remains by dissolving them in the apartment: Michelle returned Sunday night. That was what Miller said in the prosecution opening statement. He didn't have three days to dispose of her and clean up the apartment. He had two.

Good point .
It wont dissolve it fast enough though... not in 3 days... the drano, i mean.
He would have needed hydrogen peroxide h202 for the blood...
Then there's bones too...

He also didn't buy enough. The bottles he bought would not provide near enough volume to dissolve a body, and the concentration of lye in the reagent might be high enough to dissolve enough of a clot to unclog a drain, it wouldn't be concentrated enough to dissolve a body.

Plus, he didn't have three days; he had two. Miller in the opening statement said Michelle came back on Sunday (presumably that night).

Making it even less likely that BC had time to destroy her remains by dissolving them in the apartment: Michelle returned Sunday night. That was what Miller said in the prosecution opening statement. He didn't have three days to dispose of her and clean up the apartment. He had two.
I had missed that entirely. Thanks.
It is , of course quite possible he had other chemicals in his apartment, not recently ordered.
His obsession with serial killers started in 2016.
Or that is what is known.
When was he first introduced to Bundy, I wonder?

Whew... lot more info to wade thru today...before I say anything else I just have to comment on one thing..
His dad says ..Hi..he says Hi back. Dad asks how he's doin???!!!
He says I'm OK...I'm OK??? oh except I abducted,,raped,,choked, broke her head open and decapitated some nice little girl I never even knew..Then I hid the remains and acted like it never happened...except for when I bragged about it to one of my girlfriends...
So...how's mom ? hope we can get together for a July 4th cookout!!!!...AAAARRGGGHHHH
And for those saying how he is 6' and strong...know this...in jail..the next person he gets to deal with will NOT be a 100# frail girl..
When BC finally does go to jail ( which he will whether he gets the DP or not ) there will be years of appeals. He will most likely be on a suicide watch and sequestered from all other inmates.
There is a strangely different code in a prison. any other lifer or long time inmate can make themselves a folk hero of sorts if they can get to BC and mess him up. A guy already serving LWOP has nothing else to lose..sooo
This case has affected me on so many levels...as you can tell by some of my posts my hatred of BC and the warranted/unwarranted ? desire to see him maimed is probably not the healthiest thing. And then my mind goes to YY's mother and my heart just aches .

It is , of course quite possible he had other chemicals in his apartment, not recently ordered.

No problem. I missed it, too.

Whew... lot more info to wade thru today...before I say anything else I just have to comment on one thing..
His dad says ..Hi..he says Hi back. Dad asks how he's doin???!!!
He says I'm OK...I'm OK??? oh except I abducted,,raped,,choked, broke her head open and decapitated some nice little girl I never even knew..Then I hid the remains and acted like it never happened...except for when I bragged about it to one of my girlfriends...
So...how's mom ? hope we can get together for a July 4th cookout!!!!...AAAARRGGGHHHH
And for those saying how he is 6' and strong...know this...in jail..the next person he gets to deal with will NOT be a 100# frail girl..
When BC finally does go to jail ( which he will whether he gets the DP or not ) there will be years of appeals. He will most likely be on a suicide watch and sequestered from all other inmates.
There is a strangely different code in a prison. any other lifer or long time inmate can make themselves a folk hero of sorts if they can get to BC and mess him up. A guy already serving LWOP has nothing else to lose..sooo
This case has affected me on so many levels...as you can tell by some of my posts my hatred of BC and the warranted/unwarranted ? desire to see him maimed is probably not the healthiest thing. And then my mind goes to YY's mother and my heart just aches .
Great post Trunk, you are always very open and straightforward,I appreciate it.
I'm interested in prison again now. I have a question.
How quickly do prisoners know the identity and reputation of a new prisoner? Do they know when one is coming?
Kinda cheered me up... Thank you for that.

Great post Trunk, you are always very open and straightforward,I appreciate it.
I'm interested in prison again now. I have a question.
How quickly do prisoners know the identity and reputation of a new prisoner? Do they know when one is coming?
Kinda cheered me up... Thank you for that.

I just saw a discussion about that bolded portion in the McStay Trial thread. Chase Merritt has been found guilty of bludgeoning a family to death, including 2 toddlers, with a sledge hammer. :(

Some members who have had experience with the prison system, one of whom spent 15 years as a guard, said that prisoners are often 'expected' to arrive because others hear about it through the prison grapevine.

In jail, the defendants ride together for their court cases and hearings, etc. And when someone is sent from jail to prison, they know about some of the upcoming prisoners in the pipeline already.

So this guy will be known about before his arrival in prison.

In the discussion they explained that the prisoners know how to look up people's 'jackets.' [their court records and trial transcripts. ] They do so with hidden cell phones and by having others look things up for them on the outside. Also, they sometimes get time in prison library to research their own cases and they can use those resources to look up new arrivals too.

One reason they do so is to find out if any of the new arrivals are 'snitches' or informants. And they also look to see if there are baby killers/rapists on their way in too.

I'm going to post an update from yesterday's trial. That way I can shorten it next time I post it as it's getting a bit too long. :)

Update:
Friday, June 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9am ET) - IL - Yingying Zhang (26) (missing on June 9, 2017, Urbana; not found) - *Brendt A. Christensen (28) indicted (6/30/17) on kidnapping (Federal charge) resulting in death of Yingying & 2 counts of giving false statements to FBI. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial started 6/3/19 with jury selection & took until 6/11/19 to pick a jury. Trial should last about a week & a half (was 5 weeks previously). Opening statements expected to start 6/12 Wednesday morning. Judge expects a verdict between June 21 and June 24. If there ends up being a sentencing phase, judge believes it would start on July 8 so the 4th of July wouldn't interfere with the process. 12 jurors & 6 alternates. (7 men & 5 women). For a somewhat description of jurors see post #980 Thread #8

Jury selection Day 1 to 7 (6/3/19 to 6/7/19) reference post #817 here:
Still Missing - IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #8 *Arrest*

6/12/19 Day 1: Defense filed a motion to delay the trial due to the civil lawsuit filed yesterday. Shadid denied this last-minute motion, and the trial will proceed. Defense: The stunning opening line from Christensen’s defense team came after prosecutors spent 45 minutes outlining the gruesome details of Zhang’s death, claiming the visiting scholar was raped, beaten and decapitated inside Christensen’s Champaign apartment. Defense: Christensen killed Yingying. State witnesses: UIPD Officer George Sandwick (who recovered video of Yingying getting into Christensen's vehicle). Showed video. UPID Officer James Carter (collected evidence @ crime scene). Xiaolin Hou (Zhang’s boyfriend). UIPD Officer Tara Hurless. UIPD officer Ken Costa. Prof. Kaiyu Guan (worked for him at UI). No name (Property Marketing Mgr). A manager (no name given). Defense did not cross exam any of the 3 first witnesses. Not sure of correct order of witnesses. Trial continues on 6/13.
6/13/19 Day 2: State witnesses: FBI Agent Joel Smith (re searches of his apt.). FBI agent Anthony Manganaro (played interview video with UIPD officer Eric Stiverson & FBI agent Manganaro). Defense called for a MISTRIAL-- On account of video of BC asking for a lawyer. Cited case law, claiming it could make the jury prejudiced about his guilt or innocence. Judge denied motion, citing defense's opening statement admitting their client's guilt. Trial continues on 6/14.
6/14/19 Day 3: Defense makes another verbal request for a mistrial on account of prosecution's claims BC killed 12 other people with no evidence. Judge denies. Defense is currently redacting transcripts for jury. Judge Shadid agreed the prosecution had not proven that Christensen had committed other crimes, and said his final instructions to the jury could include a directive to disregard that statement. State witnesses: FBI Agent Michael Carter (search of apt.). DA played ~40 minute video of June 17 interview with Christensen and two FBI agents. DA played Walmart security footage of Christensen buying drano max, a food storage container and a 32 pack of swiffer wipes June 11. FBI Agent Andrew Huckstadt (testifying about June 15 search when he interviewed Christensen's wife). Video of BC at UI counseling shown. Testifys BC’s girlfriend Terra Bullis began to wear a wire for them. Nine conversations were recorded in a device about half the size of a sticky note. TB's FBI tape recording played (campus vigil recordings). Trial continues on Monday, 6/17.

I think most people in America know about Bundy. He’s one of a handful of killers who have become, unfortunately, common knowledge. His connection to Ann Rule, and her book about him, makes him even more well known. Even if you aren’t into true crime, you probably have some idea what she wrote about.

@Niner, for this one maybe you should make a template with the dates followed by Defense Motion to Dismiss Declare Mistrial & then delete the phrase that they're not using that day:

6/17/19 Defense Motion to Dismiss Declare Mistrial due to Judge denies
6/18/19 Defense Motion to Dismiss Declare Mistrial due to Judge denies
6/19/19 Defense Motion to Dismiss Declare Mistrial due to Judge denies

you get the idea.

Crass, I know, and yes my name is Laughing.

RIP, Ms. Zhang! You applied for a PhD program, were placed in a research position instead, you worked hard to improve farming in your home country. Your boyfriend continues to carry a torch for you for the world to see. Your brief life has inspired many!

upload_2019-6-15_7-12-19.jpeg

@Niner, for this one maybe you should make a template with the dates followed by Defense Motion to Dismiss Declare Mistrial & then delete the phrase that they're not using that day:

6/17/19 Defense Motion to Dismiss Declare Mistrial due to Judge denies
6/18/19 Defense Motion to Dismiss Declare Mistrial due to Judge denies
6/19/19 Defense Motion to Dismiss Declare Mistrial due to Judge denies

you get the idea.

Crass, I know, and yes my name is Laughing.

57x53px-LL-851d59ac_laugh.gif

So, he says he's killed before, another 12. That's BS. However I don't YY was his first, just a gut feeling, but certainly not 12. BC know what he wants to do, the equipment etc he has ready. His fail this time was the fact of his downward spiral of his drinking, made him sloppy. The fact Michelle wanted a divorce AFTER he told her he had fantasies of killing someone. I don't blame her wanting to leave. I'd have run a mile from him.

He sits in court so unconcerned, as if it never happened. What's wrong with him. We're only 3 days in and my hatred for BC is getting stronger. I read yesterday that YYs father was sitting 10feet from BC, listening to some tapes, he sat there listening, with his eyes closed. Trying not to see what he was hearing I imagine. While I was reading the news report, I'm yelling "tell them where she is you b'strd."

BC's internet searches-https://www.ilcd.uscourts.gov/sites/ilcd/files/Govt Ex 40-B.pdf

Dated June 8.. cleaning things and their properties
June 12- i phone tracking info sought
June 17 and 18, searching updates including reward site and gofundm e for YY

Internet and Schnuks purchase list https://www.ilcd.uscourts.gov/sites/ilcd/files/Govt Ex 43A.pdf

here he is looking at a bottle of rum https://www.ilcd.uscourts.gov/sites/ilcd/files/Govt Ex 46A-4.pdf

There were other photos on list @Dm put up yesterday or day before?
Looked like photographs of the office in his apartment

"All those people here tonight. They want her home safe. They have no idea what happened. I'm the only one," he said, starting to open up to his girlfriend before eventually describing in gruesome detail how he claimed he killed Ms. Zhang.

Less than 20 feet away, Ms. Zhang's family looked toward a TV screen set up for the audience to follow along and listened to a translation through an earpiece, hearing Christensen describe in his own words how he killed their daughter, sister and girlfriend.

still watching his diet, I see, nothing ever changed for him, did it?

Christensen hasn't shown much outward emotion throughout this whole process, hardly saying a word at his various pretrial hearings, briefly chatting with his court-appointed lawyers before proceedings begin each day and sometimes eating yogurt or a granola bar during a break

June17-The next day, he talked with her on her porch, as her roommates wouldn't let him in their house. Christensen told her he was "trying to clear my name" and "just trying to cooperate."

Christensen knew the FBI knew about the duffel bag because his wife had talked to them.

"She told them everything about me, and that scares me," he said, but insisted, "They're searching for something that doesn't exist."
'They will never find her': Court hears what Christensen said at victim's vigil

Anyone know if BC can get visitors in jail or is he in some sort of solitary with no visitation? …asking because I wonder if his dad from the courtroom is visiting him? Surely(?), as a father his dad would ask what he did with YY’s remains, and IF he got any information would pass that info along. I suspect that’s one reason the boyfriend approached the father in court, in hopes he might get and divulge such knowledge.
Anyway, this case is so depressing think I may extract myself from discussions temporarily until either the trial portion is over or the location(s) of remains are divulged (I still expect it will come out before trial is over).

And thanks again to all those posting links and especially to any locals (Champaign or Peoria) able to share on-site insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member