GA - Mary & Elwyn Crocker Jr, both 14, starved, beaten & buried, Effingham Cnty, 20 Dec 2018 Arrests

Anyone have access to Georgia court site? Any future court hearings coming up?

TIA!

Just clicked on the link you provided watcher9 - hearings for 6/19, but none of them are on there....

Just clicked on the link you provided watcher9 - hearings for 6/19, but none of them are on there....

I did a search on Elwyn Crocker and this PDF file came up. From the way the posted link shows up, I am assuming it is legit.
It looks like they may have moved the date to 8/6. The group is listed on page 8. I can't really remember but it looks like drug charges were added to some and there are different attorneys (?) assigned to each.

https://www.effinghamcounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/1584/Criminal-Calendar-Call?bidId=

97x32px-LL-40ad66f8_thanx.gif
watcher9! Much appreciated!

I did a search on Elwyn Crocker and this PDF file came up. From the way the posted link shows up, I am assuming it is legit.
It looks like they may have moved the date to 8/6. The group is listed on page 8. I can't really remember but it looks like drug charges were added to some and there are different attorneys (?) assigned to each.

https://www.effinghamcounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/1584/Criminal-Calendar-Call?bidId=
Thanks watcher9! :)
@Niner - do you have access to the document? In case you don't, I posted an image of it.

upload_2019-6-17_19-38-10.png

I caught a glimpse of the news this afternoon and apparently Elwyn Sr. and Mark Wright went to court today. Mark Wright asked for bond and it was denied.

Several articles came out today detailing some of the grim details of Mary’s abuse. It’s sickening. One sick abusive individual is one thing but 5 in one household is unfathomable. One article I read said she was whipped with speaker wire, guitar wire. Bathing her consisted of them carrying the kennel to the bathroom and hosing her off in the kennel. I think it was this article below.

Authorities: Georgia girl caged, starved before she was buried in backyard

Just trying to understand more about this case. Can someone explain what role MW played and why he's jailed if he's the one who reported it all? Was he abusing them previously? Or is he jailed because they think he was aware of the abuse and didn't report it?

"Wright's attorney Martha Hall argued he knew nothing about the abuse claims and asked for bond due to the fact he called police to conduct the welfare check after overhearing Crocker, Sr. saying Mary was dead."

Just trying to understand more about this case. Can someone explain what role MW played and why he's jailed if he's the one who reported it all? Was he abusing them previously? Or is he jailed because they think he was aware of the abuse and didn't report it?

"Wright's attorney Martha Hall argued he knew nothing about the abuse claims and asked for bond due to the fact he called police to conduct the welfare check after overhearing Crocker, Sr. saying Mary was dead."

Some people will not tell the truth when accused of a crime. MW did not report it to the police. He called his aunt who then called the police for a welfare check.

Investigator Brown says when she interviewed Wright back in December following the discovery of the bodies, he told her why he called his aunt, who then called police asking for a welfare check at the Rosebud Place home.

Investigator details punishments given to Effingham children in murder case

Trying to answer your question, I'm using links already posted in the thread.

Back in 2012, DFCS was involved with the family for abuse on JR, some of which involved MW (Tony).

Candice Crocker told DFCS investigators the marks came from a recent day when JR was acting up and Elwyn Cocker Sr. gave her family permission to discipline him. She told investigators her brother, Tony Wright, struck JR in the face. Tony Wright, 22 at the time, was arrested and ordered to stay away from JR, the DFCS records say.
DFCS dismissed abuse report before Georgia kids were found buried

Apparently the families separated but moved in together again.
We can determine that MW was residing in the same mobile home as his mother when his sister and family (Crocker) moved in because of this statement.

Later, the Crockers moved in with Kim Wright, her son and her boyfriend in her double-wide on Rosebud Place, outside the city of Guyton.
Before found buried, Effingham kids endured violent chaos at home

There is not much info on how JR was abused since it happened about two years before this crime was discovered. But with Mary, some details are coming out. MW was living there so he had to know what was going on.

“He (Crocker) did admit that Mary Crocker was kept in a dog kennel, naked in the kitchen, in the common area of the house. She was zip tied so that she would not get out,” Investigator Brown said.
Investigator details punishments given to Effingham children in murder case

This would include MW.

The five relatives who allegedly abused the girl have been charged with felony murder in her death. Mary was beaten with household objects, Tased and, on the rare occasion she got a meal, it was spiked with pungent substances, such as rice vinegar, so she wouldn’t be able to choke it down. She was left nude in the pen and only bathed when someone would haul the cage into the bathroom to spray her with water.
Georgia girl kept in cage, starved, beaten, cops say

Well, that's interesting. I actually homeschool in the state of GA. I had no idea they didn't actually follow up on those declarations of intent. However I'm not sure if it really solves the problem. You can go through the hoops to claim homeschooling but it doesn't actually stop parents from failing to follow through after that. And it doesn't actually keep parents from abusing their children.

Would this have prevented their parents abusing and killing them? The state would have known they were homeschooling BUT the state wouldn't have followed up in any real way shape or form other than a yearly declaration of intent. Would that solve anything or is this just a bandaid to make it look like they are doing something?

Sorry a bit late - computer problems....

Tuesday, Aug. 6th:
*Pretrial hearings for all (@ 9am ET) - GA – Mary Crocker (14) & Elwyn Crocker, Jr. (‘JR’) (14) (Mary died Oct. 18, 2018, Elwyn died about Nov. 30, 2016 & both discovered Dec. 20, 2018 buried in backyard, Guyton) - *Elwyn John Crocker, Sr. (50) (“father”) arrested (12/20/18), charged (1/29/19), indicted (3/12/19) & arraigned (4/17/19) with 2 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of 1st degree concealing the death of another & 2 counts of 1st degree cruelty to children. Plead not guilty. No bond.
3/5/19: Preliminary hearing. Case will now go to the Grand Jury. 3/12/19: Indicted for Mary’s & JR’s death.
*Candice Heather Crocker (33) (“step-mom”) arrested (12/20/18), charged (1/29/19), indicted (3/18/19) & arraigned (4/17/19) with 2 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of 1st degree concealing the death of another, 2 counts of 1st degree cruelty to children & 3 counts of drug possession. Plead not guilty. No bond.
*Kimberly Renee Wright (50) (“step-grandma”) arrested (12/20/18), charged (1/29/19), indicted (3/18/19) & arraigned (4/17/19) with 2 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of 1st degree concealing the death of another & 2 counts of 1st degree cruelty to children. Plead not guilty. No bond.
*Roy Anthony Prater (55) (“step-grandma’s BF”) arrested (12/20/18), charged (1/29/19), indicted (3/18/19) & arraigned (4/17/19) with felony murder (Mary’s death), 1st degree concealing the death of another, 1st degree cruelty to children, 3 counts possession of a controlled substance & 2 counts of Manufacture/Deliver/Distribute/Possess controlled substances. Plead not guilty. No bond.
*Mark Anthony “Tony” Wright (31) (bro of Candice) arrested (1/8/19), charged (1/29/19), indicted (3/12/19) & arraigned (4/17/19) with 1 count of felony murder (Mary’s death) & 2 counts of 1st degree cruelty to children. Plead not guilty. No bond.
3/5/19: Bond hearing. Case will now go to the Grand Jury. 3/12/19: Indicted for Mary’s death.
6/11/19 Update: Appeared in court to have bond reduced-denied.
Wright — a brother of Elwyn Sr.'s wife, Candice overheard a family discussion about Mary's death and called an aunt, who tipped off authorities. Judge F. Gates Peed has also imposed a gag order prohibiting attorneys and investigators from discussing the case outside court.
12/20/18: Welfare check & possible missing juvenile discovered bodies. Mary was last seen Oct. 2018 & Elwyn (JR) died about Nov. 30, 2016. Neither had been official reported missing.
3/12/18 Judge imposes gag order. All were indicted for Mary’s murder. Elwyn, Candice & Wright were also indicted for Elwyn JR’s death. All have Arraignment hearings in April 17. 4/17/19: All plead not guilty. Next pretrial hearing for all on 8/6.

You are right.

The previous printout used for the 08/07/2019 calendar was dated 06/24/2019 and linked above. Fortunately, a screen print of it was posted by SeesSeas (thank you) so we know we aren't crazy.

When I clicked on that old link, it brings up a new printout dated 08/01/2019 for the 08/07/2019 calendar. Apparently, for some reason the court updated their calendar and the defendants in the Crocker case have been deleted for that date.

We drove past the house of horrors today and said a prayer for those poor kids. It breaks my heart to even think about what they endured.

I havent seen this house since a couple days after this happened and it honestly makes me want to vomit. When this happened It was my birthday and i was in the area celebrating and i vividly remember being at a gas station not far from here and the amount of cops who flew by... I turned on my police scanner and it was absolutely shattering. I remember hearing the words "There is a second body" And just praying they didnt find more, Because two was too many. We drove by on christmas looking at lights (We hadnt planned it and didnt realize thats what that house was until a little later. I Just remembered getting a sick feeling in my stomach seeing the house as we drove past.) and I made it a point that if i was ever in the area, Go the other way.Go as far out of the way as i need to to avoid that da#n House. Sick to think about.

Has this case been closed Yet? I want to request the FOIL/FOIA but i believe case has to be closed...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back