OR OR - John Arthur Ackroyd, suspected serial killer, US Highway 20, 1976-1992

janne

Reaction score
Recently read an excellent series by the Oregonian, "Ghosts of Highway 20" on suspected serial killer John Arthur Ackroyd, who was active in Oregon from the late 1970s, operating on a remote stretch of US Highway 20 between Bend and Newport, where he was employed by the State Highway Department.

Ghosts of Highway 20 - oregonlive.com

Ackroyd was jailed in 1993 for a 1978 murder, which curtailed his crimes, and died in prison in 2016, with only 1 murder conviction to his name (although he did plead no contest in a further case).

Crimes Ackroyd was tied to by LE:

- 1978 Murder of Kaye Turner - convicted along with an accomplice, Roger Dale Beck in 1993
-1990 Disappearance and presumed murder of Rachanda Pickle (his stepdaughter) - pleaded no contest in 2013; refused to disclose location of Rachanda's remains
-1992 Double Murder of Melissa Sanders and Sheila Swanson - a case was built against Ackroyd, and sufficient evidence was gathered to prosecute, however the case was never brought to court

Crimes Ackroyd has not previously been tied to by LE, but which were linked in the Oregonian article:

- 1976 Swamp Mountain Jane Doe - UID discovered in 1976 close to highway 20
- 1977 Disappearance of Karen Lee & Rodney Grissom - 2 teenagers, last seen in Lebanon, OR. Their personal effects were later found off logging roads adjacent to Highway 20
- 1977 Assault of Marlene Gabrielsen
- 1977 Murder of Elizabeth Mussler - Last seen in Lebanon, her remains were found close to Highway 20
- 1978 Snow Creek Jane Doe - UID discovered in 19768 in woods close to Highway 20

Thanks for posting this. Had not heard of this guy before and started watching the series last night. Nicely done documentary. Ghosts of Highway 20 - oregonlive.com The videos are also available on YouTube.

This is another example where LE completely failed to do the right thing. If they had taken Marlene seriously, they could have prevented so many more deaths.

Rachanda has a thread here: Deceased/Not Found - OR - Rachanda Pickle, 13, Santiam Junction, 10 July 1990

Karen Lee and Rodney Grissom: OR - OR - Rodney Grissom, 14, & Karen Lee, 15, Albany/Cornelius, May 1977

Swamp Mountain Doe: OR - OR - Sweet Home, 'Swamp Mountain Doe' WhtFem 762UFOR, 18-40, Jul'76

Last edited:
Recently read an excellent series by the Oregonian, "Ghosts of Highway 20" on suspected serial killer John Arthur Ackroyd, who was active in Oregon from the late 1970s, operating on a remote stretch of US Highway 20 between Bend and Newport, where he was employed by the State Highway Department.

Ghosts of Highway 20 - oregonlive.com

Ackroyd was jailed in 1993 for a 1978 murder, which curtailed his crimes, and died in prison in 2016, with only 1 murder conviction to his name (although he did plead no contest in a further case).

Crimes Ackroyd was tied to by LE:

- 1978 Murder of Kaye Turner - convicted along with an accomplice, Roger Dale Beck in 1993
-1990 Disappearance and presumed murder of Rachanda Pickle (his stepdaughter) - pleaded no contest in 2013; refused to disclose location of Rachanda's remains
-1992 Double Murder of Melissa Sanders and Sheila Swanson - a case was built against Ackroyd, and sufficient evidence was gathered to prosecute, however the case was never brought to court

Crimes Ackroyd has not previously been tied to by LE, but which were linked in the Oregonian article:

- 1976 Swamp Mountain Jane Doe - UID discovered in 1976 close to highway 20
- 1977 Disappearance of Karen Lee & Rodney Grissom - 2 teenagers, last seen in Lebanon, OR. Their personal effects were later found off logging roads adjacent to Highway 20
- 1977 Assault of Marlene Gabrielsen
- 1977 Murder of Elizabeth Mussler - Last seen in Lebanon, her remains were found close to Highway 20
- 1978 Snow Creek Jane Doe - UID discovered in 19768 in woods close to Highway 20

I am going to go and look for this series! My cousin is Rodney Grissom who went missing in 1977. I am wanting to learn more and hopefully get some closure for our family.

Human remains found off Forest Service Road 417 in Linn County, east of Sweet Home. Could be a victim of Ackroyd?

Deputies: Investigation underway after human remains found off Forest Service road near Sweet Home
Any new info on this? The only thing I could find was that the remains were just a year or two old. This could mean another killer is out there.
Human remains found off Forest Service Road 417 in Linn County, east of Sweet Home. Could be a victim of Ackroyd?

Deputies: Investigation underway after human remains found off Forest Service road near Sweet Home

Have they learned any more about this woman? The only thing I can find is that she was killed 1-2 years ago, which means another killer could be in the area.

I haven't seen a good timeline that pinpoints exactly when Ackroyd returned to the area after his military service.
I've been working to recover Karen Jean Lee and Rodney Grissom, and I have done a deep dive into the records about John Arthur Ackroyd. I haven't found his DD214 yet, but I have NJP records from West Germany, dated 12 March 75. Considering that the earliest murder attributed to him was Swamp Mountain Doe, found 24 July 1976, I would assume that Ackroyd ETS from the Army between Spring 1975 and probably early 1976. Swamp Mountain Doe's remains were skeletal and disarticulated, so she had been there a decent amount of time. Near as I can tell, Ackroyd enlisted in 1968, after graduating high school. A pair of 4 year enlistment contracts would bring him to an ETS around late 75, early 1976. The exact dates would depend on how much terminal leave he had accrued, but generally you can't carry more than 90 days, and the Army prefers that number to be under 60 days.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back