ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL I answered the wrong post on this thread and got myself banned for a week, it basically looked like I was trashing the mods ...dont feel too bad , I'm sure mine sounded worse than yours ! I still feel bad about what it sounded like EEKS!!
Oh don't be so sure *shudder*! I was talking about Kelsey Bereth and that I thought that her body wasn't burned in PF's back yard, but I never referenced Kelsey or PF, making it sound like I was talking about poor sweet Serenity!

Gov Noem wants youth treatment facility reforms
Gov. Kristi Noem has ordered the state Department of Social Services to enact a series of wide-ranging reforms intended to improve the safety of youths sent to privately run treatment facilities across South Dakota.

[...]

In an earlier email to News Watch, Noem wrote that improvements were required and have been implemented at the Black Hills Children’s Home in Rockerville.

Authorities are still searching for Serenity Dennard, who was 9 when she ran away from the Children's Home in February.

Also see: Gov. Noem to enact reform of youth treatment facilities

An Amber Alert should have been put out for Serenity.How do we know she wasn't abducted. Also there should be an alert out for any missing child regardless of an abduction. Name it something else if they have to. It's scary to know a child is missing and you can't put out an alert. Does not make sense at all because children are helpless.

The same, 24 hours later. Any search plans being discussed I wonder?
What ever happened to the search the Senator said she was going to organize to search the area suggested to her by the person in her podcast? She said she was going to do that but no news of a search being organized by her. For someone who complains as much as she does about the searches the PCSD has been doing, one would think she would get moving with her own search.

An Amber Alert should have been put out for Serenity.How do we know she wasn't abducted. Also there should be an alert out for any missing child regardless of an abduction. Name it something else if they have to. It's scary to know a child is missing and you can't put out an alert. Does not make sense at all because children are helpless.
Amber alerts have to have a suspect in mind and a car- they need make/model and a license tag.

Yes, that’s understood. What is not understood is that children go missing and there is no immediate alert. Yes, I understand that this could become the boy who called wolf too many times. But still, people in the community need to know right away there is a missing child!

Yes, that’s understood. What is not understood is that children go missing and there is no immediate alert. Yes, I understand that this could become the boy who called wolf too many times. But still, people in the community need to know right away there is a missing child!
I agree. Until this case, I always thought it was for any missing child.

We are talking about a place full of children that does not even know enough to call 911 right away nor get on the same radio frequency with each other. We are told over and over children like this run, well then, I would think the protocol would be well known.

Smh.

In other words, I totally agree with your post.

Jmo.

ETA: I take back the "full of children" part, I am actually not sure how full this facility is. We know there were four at least in the gym if I recall.

From PCSO FB page:

Jose and his dog Lola are out searching for Serenity Dennard. They are with Search & Rescue Dogs of the United States (SARDUS) from the Fort Collins, Colorado area.

Pictures at link:
Pennington County Sheriff's Office

Thank you Joe and Lola. I hope you find this child.

I agree. Until this case, I always thought it was for any missing child.

I thought that too until the JC case and they could not get one issued because of the requirements at first. I thought until then when the Amber Alert was passed years ago it was for any child. It apparently is not and requirements vary by state.

I have learned what a Silver Alert is as well in this past year and those requirements seem to vary by state as well, if they have one.

Jmo.

Serenity's disappearance did not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert since there was no evidence of an abduction or vehicle description but LE issued an Endangered Missing Person Advisory. In addition to that, there was an alert that went directly to something like 600 phone numbers in the area of the Children's Home. I tried to search for the post/article about that but unfortunately, I can't remember what that alert was called. Residents were asked to search their properties, sheds, outbuildings, etc. Serenity's missing flyer was viewed by over 1 million Facebook users in the first two days of her disappearance (in just one missing person's group). MOO

ETA: Amber alert - Wikipedia

Last edited:
In addition to that, there was an alert that went directly to something like 600 phone numbers in the area of the Children's Home. I tried to search for the post/article about that but unfortunately, I can't remember what that alert was called. Residents were asked to search their properties, sheds, outbuildings, etc.
RSBM for focus

I believe this is what you are talking about:
Apr 6, 2019
“Two days after Dennard went missing, public warning messages were also sent to 612 landlines and cellphones of residents and businesses within a six-mile radius of the Children's Home, according to Alexa White, deputy director of Pennington County Emergency Management. The messages gave a description of Dennard and asked people to look for her outside their homes or businesses.“ (BBM)
Sheriff's Office narrowing search for missing girl by eliminating areas

By the way, I just can’t get over the fact that:
Feb 7, 2019
“After [Serenity] ran away from a residential youth home around 10:45 a.m. on Sunday, staff at the rural Pennington County facility called 911 more than one and a half hours after she went missing.

[SBM]

After Children's Home staff called 911 at 12:26 p.m., [Helene] Duhamel [spokeswoman with the Pennington County Sheriff's Office] said, a deputy arrived on scene by 12:45 p.m. By 1:16 p.m., four deputies were on site. At 1:28 they requested assistance from Pennington County Search and Rescue.” (BBM)
Children's Home staff called 911 later than initially reported

Having never worked in a facility like the Children's Home, I probably don’t know what I’m talking about. But why would anyone wait that long, especially when you are talking about an 9-year-old with at least one serious (IMO) psychiatric diagnosis, isn’t dressed for the incoming severe weather, who just bolted out.

According to Bill Colson, executive director of the Children's Home Society:

“When Serenity left staff sight on Sunday, we immediately conducted a thorough search of our grounds and buildings. When we were unable to find Serenity we called law enforcement.” (BBM)

(But the linked article also reports that “Colson initially said on Monday that Dennard ran away before noon and staff called 911 right away.’”)

I’m not sure at what point they should have called 911. But the thing is by 11 AM, she had been seen near the cattle guard. Within 15 minutes of losing sight of her, they knew (or at least they were informed) where she would be found. Mr. Colsen says staff “conducted a thorough search of our grounds.” So how many employees did they have looking for her outside? There were staff searching the inside as well. Others were busy working with the remaining residents.

I’m sorry this is getting so long. I guess the point I am trying to make is why didn’t they call 911 as soon as they were told there was a child outside? Maybe the person the witness spoke to wasn’t yet aware of the situation involving Serenity (after 15 minutes, you would think every employee would be aware, but ... nothing surprises me anymore). But someone would have put the two and two together (relatively) soon thereafter, IMO. They could have at least called the sheriff’s office and asked patrolling officers to keep an eye out for her, IMO.

I know this is going to sound mean, but (and this is purely speculative): The staff probably knew this was a serious situation once they realized she was outside. Yet no one called 911 because they were afraid of “getting into trouble,” so they continued to search on their own without asking for outside help, IMO.

I’d love to know who finally decided to call for assistance; to do the right thing.

RSBM for focus

I believe this is what you are talking about:
Apr 6, 2019
“Two days after Dennard went missing, public warning messages were also sent to 612 landlines and cellphones of residents and businesses within a six-mile radius of the Children's Home, according to Alexa White, deputy director of Pennington County Emergency Management. The messages gave a description of Dennard and asked people to look for her outside their homes or businesses.“ (BBM)
Sheriff's Office narrowing search for missing girl by eliminating areas

By the way, I just can’t get over the fact that:
Feb 7, 2019
“After [Serenity] ran away from a residential youth home around 10:45 a.m. on Sunday, staff at the rural Pennington County facility called 911 more than one and a half hours after she went missing.

[SBM]

After Children's Home staff called 911 at 12:26 p.m., [Helene] Duhamel [spokeswoman with the Pennington County Sheriff's Office] said, a deputy arrived on scene by 12:45 p.m. By 1:16 p.m., four deputies were on site. At 1:28 they requested assistance from Pennington County Search and Rescue.” (BBM)
Children's Home staff called 911 later than initially reported

Having never worked in a facility like the Children's Home, I probably don’t know what I’m talking about. But why would anyone wait that long, especially when you are talking about an 9-year-old with at least one serious (IMO) psychiatric diagnosis, isn’t dressed for the incoming severe weather, who just bolted out.

According to Bill Colson, executive director of the Children's Home Society:

“When Serenity left staff sight on Sunday, we immediately conducted a thorough search of our grounds and buildings. When we were unable to find Serenity we called law enforcement.” (BBM)

(But the linked article also reports that “Colson initially said on Monday that Dennard ran away before noon and staff called 911 right away.’”)

I’m not sure at what point they should have called 911. But the thing is by 11 AM, she had been seen near the cattle guard. Within 15 minutes of losing sight of her, they knew (or at least they were informed) where she would be found. Mr. Colsen says staff “conducted a thorough search of our grounds.” So how many employees did they have looking for her outside? There were staff searching the inside as well. Others were busy working with the remaining residents.

I’m sorry this is getting so long. I guess the point I am trying to make is why didn’t they call 911 as soon as they were told there was a child outside? Maybe the person the witness spoke to wasn’t yet aware of the situation involving Serenity (after 15 minutes, you would think every employee would be aware, but ... nothing surprises me anymore). But someone would have put the two and two together (relatively) soon thereafter, IMO. They could have at least called the sheriff’s office and asked patrolling officers to keep an eye out for her, IMO.

I know this is going to sound mean, but (and this is purely speculative): The staff probably knew this was a serious situation once they realized she was outside. Yet no one called 911 because they were afraid of “getting into trouble,” so they continued to search on their own without asking for outside help, IMO.

I’d love to know who finally decided to call for assistance; to do the right thing.
Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about and thank you so much for taking the time to find it. :)

I think there was some confusion in the beginning and Colson was under the impression that the call made for help was 911 instead of whoever the staffer called for assistance. I don't know why they didn't call 911 as soon as they knew she was outside but you could be right that someone wanted to avoid "getting into trouble." It doesn't sound mean. It's quite logical. MOO

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about and thank you so much for taking the time to find it. :)

I think there was some confusion in the beginning and Colson was under the impression that the call made for help was 911 instead of whoever the staffer called for assistance. I don't know why they didn't call 911 as soon as they knew she was outside but you could be right that someone wanted to avoid "getting into trouble." It doesn't sound mean. It's quite logical. MOO

If my desire not to get into trouble led to a child's seemingly permanent disappearance, I'm not sure how I'd live with myself, much less be able to continue working in that job. I don't know what institutional job conditions do to a person's sense of responsibility to others, or their ability to distance themselves emotionally from people in trauma or danger, but this would seem like a textbook definition of either "burnout" or of vastly inappropriate hiring/screening practices. If not both.

JMO, SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member