Found Deceased SC - Hubert Lee Clodfelter, 85, Georgetown County, March 2019 *wife arrested*

Cagle

Reaction score
This one has me scratching my head based on the daughter's report vs the wife's report.

Georgetown County deputies are asking for the public’s help to find a missing 85-year-old Murrells Inlet man.

Hubert Lee Clodfelter of Columbine Court in Murrells Inlet was last seen in March 2019, according to his wife.

Clodfelter’s daughter notified the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office March 14 about her concerns in not being able to get in touch with him for two years. He stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 210 pounds.

Anyone with information about Mr. Clodfelter’s whereabouts should call the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office at (843) 546-5102.

Deputies looking for missing 85-year-old Murrells Inlet man

WTQUXAP2SJHUPPEBBLEJB7JMII.jpg

Wife of missing Murrells Inlet man arrested, charged with obstructing justice
upload_2019-6-16_7-2-2.png

The wife of a Murrells Inlet man who was reported missing on Friday has been arrested and charged with obstructing justice, the sheriff’s department says.

Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office arrested Irene Clodfelter, 74, early Saturday morning and charged her with two counts of obstructing justice after she reported to authorities that she last saw her husband, Hubert Lee Clodfelter, in March. She is currently being held at the Georgetown County Detention Center on $50,000 bail.

Jason Lesley with the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Department said more information will be provided Sunday afternoon as authorities continue their investigation. ....

Authorities expected to release new details in disappearance of 85-year-old Georgetown Co. man
[...]

Clodfelter’s daughter, who lives in Orlando, called the sheriff’s office on March 14 about her concerns over not being able to get in touch with her father for at least two years.

According to an incident report, Clodfelter’s daughter said she attempted several times to reach him on his cell phone, but every time she called, Clodfelter’s wife would answer it instead. Clodfelter’s wife would always give an excuse of why he was not available, including claims he was running from law enforcement or traveling around in an RV, the report states.

His daughter told deputies she spoke to several of Clodfelter’s tenants and neighbors, all of whom claimed not to have seen or heard from him in about two years. Several of the tenants said Clodfelter’s wife told them to start making their rent checks payable to her, the report states.

Deputies say Irene Clodfelter told them she had last seen her husband earlier that same month. The incident report states she told Clodfelter’s daughter, who arrived in Georgetown County on March 12 to look for him, that he had just been in town over the weekend.

[...]

Woman to face additional charges in disappearance of husband in Georgetown County

Article has been updated since PommyMommy posted. Doesn't sound good. :(

On Sunday, the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office announced that charges for desecration of human remains and accessory after the fact of murder are pending in Horry County for Irene Clodfelter in connection to her missing 85-year-old husband, Hubert Lee Clodfelter.

She was originally was arrested Saturday morning and faced charges in Georgetown County for two counts of obstruction of justice.

Deputies say the death investigation remains active and ongoing.

Coroner’s office investigating after human remains found in Myrtle Beach
The Horry County Coroner’s Office is investigating after human remains were found over the weekend in Myrtle Beach, Deputy Coroner Christopher Dontell said.

Officials did not confirm when and where in Myrtle Beach the remains were found. More information is expected to be released later Monday afternoon.

It is not known at this time if the remains are connected to the case of 85-year-old Herbert Clodfelter, who has not been seen since March.

[...]

ETA, Ugh...I just noticed that they misspelled his name. :(

Article Updated June 17 at 4:19 PM
County confirms body found during search for missing Murrells Inlet man
[...]

RC3DUV4I5BGQZFPSADXSYO5R5A.JPG

Horry County Coroner Robert Edge said the body was found at Unit 877 in the Myrtle Beach Travel Park.

Information from Horry County states the discovery came as authorities were investigating the disappearance of 85-year-old Murrells Inlet man Hubert Clodfelter, who has not been seen since March.

A report from the Horry County Police Department states a large plastic bag was found at the residence in the travel park. When officers looked inside, they reportedly saw a human hand.

[...]

Columbine Court, Murrell's Inlet (HC's residence) to Myrtle Beach Travel Park (remains found): Google Maps

Last edited:
This article states the daughter lives in Florida...also the info below SBM - so at least they've been looking for him before now.

Since the search began three months ago, deputies have not found any evidence of Clodfelter's whereabouts, according to the Sheriff's Office. He has property in Florida, Sheriff's spokesman Jason Lesley said.

Murrells Inlet man reported missing in March; daughter hasn't heard from her father in two years
This article has also been updated. I'm not sure if this part is new or not; I remember that HC's daughter spoke with the neighbors but not the part about the rent checks and a boat in Florida... Or maybe I missed it the first time I read it, I dunno. :confused:

Chappell said several of Clodfelter's tenants and neighbors told her they had not seen or heard from him in about two years. Tenants said Mrs. Clodfelter had told them to start making rent checks payable to her.

Chappell came to Georgetown County on March 12 and spoke with Mrs. Clodfelter who said her husband was just in town over the weekend and that she did not want further welfare checks done at her residence until after March 26 when she gets Mr. Clodfelter "to a boat in Florida."

Last edited:
RSBM

Chappell said several of Clodfelter's tenants and neighbors told her they had not seen or heard from him in about two years. Tenants said Mrs. Clodfelter had told them to start making rent checks payable to her.

Chappell came to Georgetown County on March 12 and spoke with Mrs. Clodfelter who said her husband was just in town over the weekend and that she did not want further welfare checks done at her residence until after March 26 when she gets Mr. Clodfelter "to a boat in Florida."

I had seen the part about the checks before, but not the boat comment. That boat comment is just plain weird to me.

Iirc, Mr. Clodfelter was not a small man. I seem to remember 6'1" or thereabouts. She had to have had help IMO.

RSBM

I had seen the part about the checks before, but not the boat comment. That boat comment is just plain weird to me.

Iirc, Mr. Clodfelter was not a small man. I seem to remember 6'1" or thereabouts. She had to have had help IMO.
I agree. The boat comment sounds like something Casey Anthony would come up with. Lord help us, lol.

And yes, he was 6'1" and 210 pounds. Assuming that this is Mr. Clodfelter, how did she get him into the plastic bag by herself? o_O MOO

I agree. The boat comment sounds like something Casey Anthony would come up with. Lord help us, lol.

And yes, he was 6'1" and 210 pounds. Assuming that this is Mr. Clodfelter, how did she get him into the plastic bag by herself? o_O MOO
That was the first time I heard the peculiar boat comment. She is one, strange woman. I hope she stays in custody of LE.

The headline here says confirmed, but the verbiage in the article doesn't. The article states:

On Sunday afternoon, authorities announced that charges for desecration of human remains and accessory after the fact of murder are pending in Horry County.

County confirms body found during search for missing Murrells Inlet man

I'm assuming based on the "accessory after the fact" charge, they know she had help. I would guess it's going to be one of her children or a boyfriend.

JUN 18, 2019
Woman charged in missing husband’s death transferred to JRLDC
A Murrells Inlet woman who is facing charges in connection to her missing husband’s death has been transferred to the J. Reuben Long Detention Center.

Online records show Irene Clodfelter, 74, was released from the Georgetown County Detention Center on a $50,000 bond at around 9:25 p.m. Monday. She was booked into JRLDC about an hour later.

[...]

As of Tuesday morning, Clodfelter remains behind bars at JRLDC.

This is the first time I am seeing that police were called to the travel park and the bag was found underneath the residence. It was my understanding based on earlier reports that it was found inside the residence by LE...

Human remains found in Horry Co. may be related to Clodfelter case

[...]

According to the incident report, Friday, Horry County police were called to Myrtle Beach Travel Park, where the complainant told them he found a large plastic bag underneath a residence. The complainant said he'd cut a hole in the bag but didn't finish opening it.

The officer reports looking in the bag and finding a human hand.

[...]

Another source says until the remains are DNA tested, there won't be an official confirmation the remains belong to Hubert.

The HCCO is conducting the tests on the remains.

This is the first time I am seeing that police were called to the travel park and the bag was found underneath the residence. It was my understanding based on earlier reports that it was found inside the residence by LE...

Human remains found in Horry Co. may be related to Clodfelter case

[...]

According to the incident report, Friday, Horry County police were called to Myrtle Beach Travel Park, where the complainant told them he found a large plastic bag underneath a residence. The complainant said he'd cut a hole in the bag but didn't finish opening it.

The officer reports looking in the bag and finding a human hand.

[...]

Another source says until the remains are DNA tested, there won't be an official confirmation the remains belong to Hubert.

The HCCO is conducting the tests on the remains.
Hopefully, it's the same body they're talking about. One dead body is too many. RIP, whoever it is.

Clodfelter daughters offer emotional testimony at bond hearing
[...]

Hubert's two daughters spoke during the bond hearing in Horry County Tuesday afternoon. Both women, through tears, asked the judge to not allow Irene to bond out of jail. Both women spoke of finding their father's remains inside a trash bag, wrapped in duct tape.

“I just could not wrap my head around what she could have done. Then I found dad stuffed in garbage bags and I felt his very flesh on my hands. And I realized that he was never coming back to us. His grandchildren will not grow up with their grandpa," one of the daughters testified. "...My heart also aches with anger that Irene could do to dad what she has admitted to doing. No one, no one deserves to rot in a garbage bag with his wife above him enjoying her life. No child deserves to open a bag and see her father like that. I am no longer able to sleep without fear of the dreams I have been having. I am no longer able to go through my day without the memory of the smell, and the bugs, and the site of his flesh and feel it on my skin. I am no longer able to live my life without the fear that she will hunt me down and shoot me, or hire someone else to do it."

(You can hear their entire testimony by watching the video in the article.)

@TatianaBarbie, your question was answered in the video - they were married for 15 years.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back