OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#49

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is Supplemental Discovery, dated June 14, for both GW4 and Jake:

BCI Lab, Chemistry, DNA, Firearms, Latent Prints and Trace Evidence.

George IV
number of pages - 4,401

Jake Wagner
number of pages - 4,401

MittenScarpetta put them over in the Media & Timelines thread

Media & Timeline NO DISCUSSION - Pike Co, OH 8 Family Members Murdered

ETA: Just an uneducated guess, but it looks like the same batch of evidence was given for each. Same file size, same summary list.

Amazing to think there is still a whole lot more. If all of this is what it appears to be, including the info about weapons, it does look like the state has a pretty strong case against the W's.

Last edited:
<modsnipped quoted post>
Loomis, the source is stamped right on the documents. Pike county Clerk of Courts. The documents are not numbered and I’m not altering certified documents in order to number them. Anyone can obtain these documents with a simple phone call. MOO.

ETA: the pdf file is TOO LARGE to upload to ws. That’s beyond my control. I posted the documents the next way I knew how. They are valid. The documents are also stamped with the Clerk of
Courts Stamp. And can be confirmed with Pike County Clerks should Mods want to do that. I am not revealing my email sent to me by PCCoC as that violates my rights to remain anon on here. If I was a journalist, I’d gladly write an article and post the documents in there, but again I’m a common every day citizen who requested documents in a legal manner <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Following is a link to the Ohio BCI DNA testing methods manual

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov...ory-Division/LM-DNA-Methods-030118-Rev20.aspx

Page 58 of the document shows what a sample DNA report looks like. Each report has it's own file number, so perhaps we can assume for the lists of DNA test results, they were testing different human samples or pieces of evidence for each.

The dates seem to be grouped around the time of the murders, the dates of searches at the Wagner farms in summer of 2017, not sure about the rest.

Also assuming that any tests done that were negative for DNA or DNA didn't match were not included in the evidence. Thoughts?

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

At Websleuths, you can't upload a full document, you can only post one page at a time, as single images. When doing that, it's easy to get the pages scrambled as you're taking a multi-page document and breaking it down into several different single images. I've made the same mistake before.

In MittenScarpetta's case, she received the discovery documents as attachments to an email from the Pike County Clerk of Courts. So she had to make a copy of each page of the docs and post them here at WS. No other way to do it. She couldn't post a link to the docs unless she created a file in the cloud, etc.

Hope that helps. You can get copies of these documents as well, if you send an email to the Pike County Clerk of Courts.

Hope that clears everything up.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

... it's a unique situation we're going to have to work with re Pike County Courts. Mittens has sent a copy of her email from the PC court clerk, so hopefully the Mods will allow it.

As we know Pike is a small county. They don't have a website where the public can download court documents directly, or at least the Common Pleas court doesn't. Their site also doesn't post court docs where you can link directly to them. Many big counties do, some also charge quite a bit, so at least Pike Count offers those digital copies for free.

Hopefully the Mods will allow MittenScarpetta to post them this way, once they've been able to verify the source. The Mods know all courts are different, etc.

Just as important, the DNA from the killers linked to the silencer / fluff and the crime scene is needed.

Also interesting the dates following the listing of DNA testing in the discovery:

Earliest I'm seeing so far:
4/23/16 ( 2 samples)
4/26/16 (2 samples)
4/30/16 (1 sample)

Firearms were tested on
5/9/2016
1/3/17
2/4/17

Latent prints
5/2/16

Trace Evidence was tested early (5/24/16), then more in 2018
7/26/18
8/1/18
8/9/18

More to follow, but anyone know what the separate Lab File numbers mean? Is each of these a separate sample of DNA or re-testing of the same samples?
I believe it’s both-separate and retesting. A lot of the dates on the different lab files are the same, but there are also new dates on the each lab file as well. That’s just my take though. JMO.

Thread is open again.

Posts related to the non-approved FB discussion group and other off topic posts have been removed.

Thank You @sillybilly for keeping this Rhoden Thread open. I will be more careful where I get Court Documents from! And thank you @MittenScarpetta for showing me how to post the documents in the proper way. I greatly appreciate you posting Supplemental Discovery Evidence Documents, in this Case, for us. You rock Mitten!...:D:cool:;)

MittenScarpetta put them over in the Media & Timelines thread

ETA: Just an uneducated guess, but it looks like the same batch of evidence was given for each. Same file size, same summary list.

Amazing to think there is still a whole lot more. If all of this is what it appears to be, including the info about weapons, it does look like the state has a pretty strong case against the W's.
Regarding the dates of DNA in this discovery, I'm making the assumption that the dates in this discovery are the dates the DNA was collected. Not necessarily the date they were analyzed.
Why I am assuming this is because many of the DNA dates are well before the W4 were even considered suspects.
Perhaps a better/newer DNA technology analysis was used a year or two after the fact.
Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Regarding the dates of DNA in this discovery, I'm making the assumption that the dates in this discovery are the dates the DNA was collected. Not necessarily the date they were analyzed.
Why I am assuming this is because many of the DNA dates are well before the W4 were even considered suspects.
Perhaps a better/newer DNA technology analysis was used a year or two after the fact.
Just thinking out loud.
I tend to agree with that. Especially the dates that are 4/23/16, 4/26/16, early May 2016. I am stumped though on what DNA would have been collected in 3/2019. Unless that was DNA taken from each defendant at jail. That just seems like quite a wait between arrests and March 2019 to wait to obtain their DNA. DNA is usually collected upon felony arrest, isn’t it?

I tend to agree with that. Especially the dates that are 4/23/16, 4/26/16, early May 2016. I am stumped though on what DNA would have been collected in 3/2019. Unless that was DNA taken from each defendant at jail. That just seems like quite a wait between arrests and March 2019 to wait to obtain their DNA. DNA is usually collected upon felony arrest, isn’t it?
I would think so.
IIRC they searched Jake's truck January 2019. Perhaps after the W4 were arrested and safely secured in prison (with no bond), more people came forward leading to even more evidence (with DNA on it).
We really can't pin down the exact dates they were in AK, but it seems possible some DNA evidence might have been collected while they were in AK.
JMO

I haven't followed this case in some time. I just came across an oxygen documentary that is 88 minutes long with Beth Karas called *the Piketon family murders*. It had a lot of information I did not know as it has been so long since I followed this case.

I believe it was released in February of 2019. I'm sure you guys that have kept up with the case know this, but in case some of you haven't seen it, I thought it was done well.

Last edited:
I haven't followed this case in some time. I just came across an oxygen documentary that is 88 minutes long with Beth Karas called *the Piketon family murders*. It had a lot of information I did not know as it has been so long since I followed this case.

I believe it was released in February of 2019. I'm sure you guys that have kept up with the case know this, but in case some of you haven't seen it, I thought it was done well.

Welcome back, dixiegirl! Glad you're following this sad case again. Yes, a lot of us saw that documentary. It was a little bit helpful, but, JMO, it was mostly sympathetic to the Wagner family, less so to the victims. Very few of the victims' family or friends participated in the documentary. Not sure why they people who did the docu took that approach.

As the cases move towards trial, things are looking less optimistic for the accused. We're starting to see the highlights of the evidence against them.

Welcome back, dixiegirl! Glad you're following this sad case again. Yes, a lot of us saw that documentary. It was a little bit helpful, but, JMO, it was mostly sympathetic to the Wagner family, less so to the victims. Very few of the victims' family or friends participated in the documentary. Not sure why they people who did the docu took that approach.

As the cases move towards trial, things are looking less optimistic for the accused. We're starting to see the highlights of the evidence against them.

Heck, I haven't followed it since before they arrested the Wagners and I was appreciative of how the documentary tie them in and who was who and who lived where Etc.

Since it was even before they came to light when I stopped following this case, all the information about them and being pillars of the community was new to me.

I would think that a lot of their friends or people who know more about the true relationships would not be part of the documentary because they are smart enough to know NOT to do anything to jeopardize the trial. The other peripheral folks that the documentary folks could interview, meh, they probably don't have any input or trial worthy knowledge other than disbelief. Which in a small town, may be normal if they were prominent citizens.

Agree with ya in that it seems like crime documentaries these days more often purposefully side with the defense which is very frustrating.

I've been looking to get back into a another case that has some teeth into it, and I already spent an hour last night on the media thread catching up , so you may see me around here more often. And thanks to @Betty P and those that keep up the timeline on page one of each thread as that is so invaluable to quickly catch up even before moving to the media thread! And the summaries of what each link in the timeline was is great too because already, many of the links do not work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members