Dr. Teresa Sievers Trial Discussion - Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
re bold - WRONG!!

Sievers: MURDER FIRST DEGREE PREMEDITATED WITH WEAPON (PRINCIPAL)

Rodgers: MURDER FIRST DEGREE PREMEDITATED WITH WEAPON

Sorry about all caps - just copy/pasting! :)
Here are the charges per the court website:
https://matrix.leeclerk.org/

Case Number Description Type Status Charges
15-CF-000673-B State of Florida vs Sievers, Mark D Adult - Felony Opened - CR
1 MURDER FIRST DEGREE PREMEDITATED WITH WEAPON (PRINCIPAL)
3 CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT 1ST DEG PREMEDITATED MURDER (CONSPIRACY)

15-CF-000673-A State of Florida vs Rodgers, Jimmy Ray Adult - Felony Opened - CR
2 MURDER FIRST DEGREE PREMEDITATED WITH WEAPON (PRINCIPAL)
3 CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT 1ST DEG PREMEDITATED MURDER (CONSPIRACY)
4 BURGLARY DWELLING STRUCTURE OR CONVEYANCE ARMED (PRINCIPAL)

New trial date scheduled for Teresa Sievers murder case
Updated: Friday, June 14th 2019, 3:45 PM EDT
[...]
“There’s still many important things that need done before we try this case,” Don McFarlane, one of Rodgers' attorneys said. “We’re waiting on the results from the FBI DNA analysis.”

“We’re not optimistic the upcoming report will be favorable for the state,” Asst. State Attorney Hameed Hunter told the judge.
[...]
The judge heard a number of motions on Friday:

• Motion to withdraw Rodger’s statement in September 2015: Attorneys for Jimmy Rodgers argued he invoked his right to remain silent at a previous meeting with investigators; however, they approached him a second time in regards to the murder. When LCSO had a warrant for murder, detectives said he responded “In the state of Missouri, that’s 15-20 years. I’m ok with that”. The state argued the detectives followed legal procedure. The judge reserved ruling.
  • [...]
  • Motion to avoid the use of the term “burner phone”: The defense for Mark Sievers argued the term has a negative connotation and requested it be replaced with a prepaid cell phone which more accurately defines the phone. The state and judge disagreed, the judge saying the term is not inappropriate.
[...]

Sievers judge considers potentially incriminating statement
Posted: 1:10 PM, Jun 14, 2019
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Potentially incriminating statements in the Teresa Sievers murder case may never make it to trial.

We heard those statements for the first time Friday from one of the men accused of killing the prominent Bonita Springs doctor.
[...]
Rodgers' attorney is now arguing to throw out a comment Rodgers made to deputies on September 10th, 2015.

At the time, Rogers was being held in a federal holding facility in Missouri after being arrested for violating his probation.

Deputies went up to interview him on the homicide case. The lieutenant says Rodgers repeatedly interrupted him as he tried to read his Miranda rights. Rodgers kept asking deputies why they were there. The deputies said “for homicide".

And then the lieutenant said Rogers responded back. “What did he say? He said in the state of Missouri that’s 15 to 20 years, and I’m okay with that,” says Lt. David Lebid of the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.

Prosecutors say the statements should be evidence at trial because the deputies tried reading his Miranda rights but Rodgers kept interrupting and stormed out.

“In totality of the circumstances, procedurally it’s accepted. However, I’m going to reserve ruling to think about its relevance and value versus its prejudicial value. I’ll give you a ruling shortly,” said Judge Bruce Kyle.
[...]

Thank you SeesSeas for the updates on the trial!

and MsArk - no need to apologize. I was just trying to point out that the reporter had it wrong - NOT you! :)

and as we have come to know - reporters don't always get it right.... :rolleyes:

An amended jury questionnaire has been filed, I think these are the questions which have been removed:

Do you or any members of your immediate family or household belong to or have an affiliation with any special interest groups (ie. Mothers Against Drunk Driving, National Rifle Association, ACLU, Prisoner's Rights Groups, ...)

What clubs or organizations do you belong to?

Which are your four favorite T.V shows?

Do you have any bumper stickers on your cars? _______ If yes, what do they say?

List your favorite three books, articles or stories that you have read in the last six months?

Which newspapers do you read on a regular basis?

Do you have an opinion about Mr. Sievers or Mr. Rodgers's guilt or innocence and what is it?

What were your parents' occupations?

Were there any allegations of infidelity? Please describe fully

Have you read any books, articles concerning DNA analysis?

What is your view concerning the reliability of DNA analysis?

Have you, a family member, or close friend, ever served on a Grand Jury?

*[Have you or any close friends or relatives been the victim of any kind of crime...]
If yes, how did you feel about the experience?
Do you feel the justice system worked properly in regard to the cases (s) discussed above? Yes______ No ______
Please explain:
a. Concerning the incident (s) listed above, did you testify in Court?
Yes______ No ______​

Has any member of your family or a close friend died by other than natural causes including in an accident, as the result of any injury, from a wound or by suicide? Yes______ No ______
If yes, please describe briefly

Have you ever taken the blame to protect someone else? If so, please explain further.

Have you or any family member ever had occasion to use the services of the State Attorney's office, for such services as the Family Support, Consumer Fraud or Victim/Witness Division? Yes______ No ______
If yes, please explain.

Have you, or a family member or friend, received treatment or therapy from a psychologist, psychiatrist, or other substance abuse/mental health therapist? If yes, please describe in detail.

Do you believe that someone who is trained in the areas of psychology, psychiatry or therapy, can provide an opinion. Why or why not?

Have you ever corresponded with an inmate in any way? Yes______ No ______

Have you ever written a letter to a court urging leniency in sentencing on behalf of a defendant?

You may be expected, in the course of this trial, to view photographs of the deceased victim which are unpleasant. How would you feel about that?

Do you feel you are able to assert yourself in a group? How so?

In your opinion what are the most important causes of crime?

Please describe how you function in a group of persons you do not know well?

Do you find certain drugs more offensive than others? Please describe fully.

Do you have a friend or family member who has had an addiction to sex? If so, who? And what has been your experience with this particular addiction?

Do you believe the childhood abuse that you, or a friend or a family member, experienced had any effect on the person that experienced it? If yes, how so?

Have you, or a family member or friend, experienced trauma during childhood? If so, what were the circumstances and how has that trauma affected the individual that experienced it?

* Just the sub-questions have been removed, not the main question.
https://matrix.leeclerk.org

Last edited:
I've tried googling this but I can't find anything, in the defense motion for tagging or visible identification of jurors, are they meaning an electronic tag like you'd get on parole, or is it something else? Electronic tags seem a bit extreme.

Link for attached doc:

Attachments

• Jury Tagging & ID Motion.pdf
    118.6 KB · Views: 6
I've tried googling this but I can't find anything, in the defense motion for tagging or visible identification of jurors, are they meaning an electronic tag like you'd get on parole, or is it something else? Electronic tags seem a bit extreme.

Link for attached doc:

Link for attached doc:
They want to research online the jurors that are summoned in by the court. Meaning, they will look at them online through their social media and probably do a background check

I am hopeful this will be a n0-nonsense trial and Teresa will ultimately receive justice. The defense will attempt to mislead, delay and pull every legal trick available to them. Its all up to the judge to keep control. I say this after watching the five-month long McStay trial in CA which was an embarrassment to our legal system. Thankfully the jury stayed on tract and voted on an appropriate verdict.

I’m trying to catch up here. Busy trying to prep to move to Estero, FL to be near our daughter’s family there (Bonita is close by). WS was my first ever crime forum. Our daughter had just moved down there from KY, called me that terrible morning Dr Sievers was found in her home. Dr Sievers was her friends’ doctor, she was amazing. Such a loss. I hope justice for Teresa and her family is swift!

Monday, July 15th:
*Sentencing hearing–Cancelled! (@ 1:30pm ET) – FL – Dr. Teresa Sievers (46) (June, 2015, Bonita Springs) – *Curtis Wayne Wright, Jr. (41) arrested (10/14/15) & charged (10/20/15) & indicted (5/5/16) with 2nd degree premeditated murder. Plead not guilty. No bond.
Took plea deal (2/26/16) plead guilty to 2nd degree murder; 25 years, waives all rights to appeal. Sentencing 7/15/19.
6/25/19 Update: Order Granting Stipulated Motion for Continuance Filed. Sentencing rescheduled for 12/2/19.
*Mark D. Sievers (50) – Next Pretrial conference hearing 8/22. Trial scheduled for 10/1/19.
*Jimmy Ray Rodgers (28) – Next Pretrial conference haring on 8/22. Trial scheduled for 10/1/19.

Monday, July 15th:
*Sentencing hearing–Cancelled! (@ 1:30pm ET) – FL – Dr. Teresa Sievers (46) (June, 2015, Bonita Springs) – *Curtis Wayne Wright, Jr. (41) arrested (10/14/15) & charged (10/20/15) & indicted (5/5/16) with 2nd degree premeditated murder. Plead not guilty. No bond.
Took plea deal (2/26/16) plead guilty to 2nd degree murder; 25 years, waives all rights to appeal. Sentencing 7/15/19.
6/25/19 Update: Order Granting Stipulated Motion for Continuance Filed. Sentencing rescheduled for 12/2/19.
*Mark D. Sievers (50) – Next Pretrial conference hearing 8/22. Trial scheduled for 10/1/19.
*Jimmy Ray Rodgers (28) – Next Pretrial conference haring on 8/22. Trial scheduled for 10/1/19.

CWW sentencing hearing will be postponed again and again until MS and JR go to trial, verdict and sentencing is accomplished. Authorities want to make sure CWW testifies as he said he would before giving him a reduced or lighter sentence then normal for testifying against the other two. Sigh....Florida is a slow state when it comes to trials.

Thanks Niner for all the updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member