Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM - I think they looked back and saw they received multiple tips related to the same person/vehicle and for some reason dismissed it. I’m not saying an avalanche, but definitely more than one. I think LE has someone they are looking at hard.

The article references a vehicle so I don’t think getting around quickly is in reference to the events at the trail unless they are thinking he picked them up either under the bridge or somewhere else near the trail.

How could they determine he got around quickly the day the girls were killed if they don’t know who he is. How would you determine an unknown person’s mobility? I’m sleepy today and not sure if I make sense.

I suppose a conclusion could also be drawn that the murderer was familiar with the area and knew how to get around quickly because he was not sighted anywhere on the trail during times when others should’ve seen him. I do not recall LE ever stating a suspect was observed by others on the trail system immediately before or after murders occurred. If so, that could be a reason for the next best focus, the first a sketch of a man reportedly sighted near the trails. Sketch #2, the time, day or location of the sighting hasn’t been released.

I suppose a conclusion could also be drawn that the murderer was familiar with the area and knew how to get around quickly because he was not sighted anywhere on the trail during times when others should’ve seen him. I do not recall LE ever stating a suspect was observed by others on the trail system immediately before or after murders occurred. If so, that could be a reason for the next best focus, the first a sketch of a man reportedly sighted near the trails. Sketch #2, the time, day or location of the sighting hasn’t been released.

Yes, that makes sense. If the angle of BG being a possible local and/or someone familiar with the trails enough to know the alternative routes/trails out of there holds any water, then it bumps up the possibility he also knew the girls would be there. It’s a sinister possibility, fwiw.

I thought about that, but the gist of the article seems to be about a vehicle and transportation. It would be weird to be discussing a vehicle and then refer to BG’s speed on foot.

Edit: forgot a word

Last edited:
BBM - I think they looked back and saw they received multiple tips related to the same person/vehicle and for some reason dismissed it. I’m not saying an avalanche, but definitely more than one. I think LE has someone they are looking at hard.

The article references a vehicle so I don’t think getting around quickly is in reference to the events at the trail unless they are thinking he picked them up either under the bridge or somewhere else near the trail.

How could they determine he got around quickly the day the girls were killed if they don’t know who he is. How would you determine an unknown person’s mobility? I’m sleepy today and not sure if I make sense.
It must be based on the time the video and audio was recorded, the times the witnesses saw him and the estimated time of death. IMO.

Yeah. There's something there, I think, too. He doesn't seem like a guy who'd be wearing a fanny pack but he does seem to be holding something or there's something hanging from his waist. Also, does it look like he's got a bit of a limp or he's stiff, or something? Maybe it's just because it's such a tiny bit of video, but it looks like there's something strange about his gait.

I wonder how they came up with the new sketch, making him look so much younger. I don't see anything in the video clip that would indicate that he now looks different.

Do we know the cause of death of the girls?

The "new" sketch actually came before the other sketch was even created or released. This younger perp sketch was made only a few days after the murder, involving an eye witness who saw something she felt needed to be reported - we don't know what/where/when she saw what she saw, but LE seems to think this is the most accurate representation now of the Bridge Guy, the man on the video, the man they view as responsible for the deaths of Libby and Abby.

The more well known "original" sketch of the older guy with golf cap was made and released 5 months after the murders. It's been called a composite and I'm not clear on the circumstances involving that sketch, perhaps someone else as the official word on that one.

So people are curious as to why LE ignored the earlier (now primary) sketch and went with the later one for so long, which has now been discarded.

It must be based on the time the video and audio was recorded, the times the witnesses saw him and the estimated time of death. IMO.

Possibly, but you know how I feel about some of the times in this case. I know LE knows the times of the video/audio, but no official timeline has been put out. Yes, the billboards said last seen 2:30, but I don’t believe they say that anymore. I also don’t think they’ve said it for a while.

The way the article referenced reads about 1/3 of the way through they are talking about wanting info about the car parked in the lot. In the next paragraph they mention that the car ties into how LE knows BG is local. Within the same paragraph they talk about how they reviewed tips and were able determine BG got around quickly. The next paragraph begins with info about the car being at the CPS building.

Edit: The media could’ve gotten things wrong. I’ve seen where that’s happened plenty of times in this case.

Last edited:
This was a extremely vicious crime for a first-time murder. Either there was some type of personal vendetta behind it or he had already a history of violent crimes against strangers and/or young girls in his past.
Respectfully snipped for focus, and BBM.
Absolutely, no doubt in my mind.

Amateur opinion and speculation

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I don't forget, that two sweet girls, their name: Abby and Libby, were murdered and had to endure huge fear and pain in their last moments. I will never forget!
Your dedication, contributions, and caring come through strong on this thread.
Keep sharing that picture everywhere you can!

I've hesitated saying this because it doesn't matter but in regards to the voice sounding familiar... the first time I heard the audio BG sounded, to me, exactly like Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams. I'm completely serious. But also, I'm not implicating Kevin Costner. My point being, voices can be familiar for a variety of reasons. Those reasons could have merit...or they could be just...a Field of Dreams :D
It seems this voice is invoking that urgent feeling of "where *do* I know this voice from?!?!" in more than a few people!

So let's run with that for a minute. In Delphi, Indiana, what voice (aside from family), would be one they would hear frequently? Here's a few random ideas, please add more:

Local bus driver/train conductor
Uber/Lyft driver
Local bartender/restaurant owner
Mechanic
Usher at church
Car dealership person
Custodian
Handyman/Painter
Hauling/Yard Service/Tree trimmer
Traveling tool salesman
Utilities worker / city repair & maintenance
Local radio or news person

That's the start of the list - what else?

It seems this voice is invoking that urgent feeling of "where *do* I know this voice from?!?!" in more than a few people!

So let's run with that for a minute. In Delphi, Indiana, what voice (aside from family), would be one they would hear frequently? Here's a few random ideas, please add more:

Uber/Lyft driver
Mechanic
Usher at church
Car dealership person
Custodian
Handyman/Painter
Traveling tool salesman

Local politician or news person. Not insinuating anything. A lot of people would hear their voices though.

TBH...the voice sounds like 2 of my coworkers and my ex. It’s definitely not them (they are 4 states away). Interestingly the age range of these three guys is 29 - 52. All nonsmokers.

Uber/Lyft driver
Mechanic
Usher at church
Car dealership person
Custodian
Handyman/Painter
Traveling tool salesman

i can add...
anyone who speaks to crowds in public
such as... Councilman, head of any society such as Lions Club, Boy Scouts, Bridge restoration groups.....
Grocery store clerk/convience store clerk
Nobody has pointed out that since school was out, it could possibly be someone who works with the school system.
I have no reason to say ANY of those just off the top of my head.

There is, somewhere on here, a few threads back, video of this that works in the EU. I’ve watched it.
To me, ISP Superintendent Doug Carter is touching on the differences in the two cases, and is referring to the Flora fire when he mentions needing to speak to the whole family. While in the Delphi case, the family has been readily available. Of course this is just my take on it. MOO

The "new" sketch actually came before the other sketch was even created or released. This younger perp sketch was made only a few days after the murder, involving an eye witness who saw something she felt needed to be reported - we don't know what/where/when she saw what she saw, but LE seems to think this is the most accurate representation now of the Bridge Guy, the man on the video, the man they view as responsible for the deaths of Libby and Abby.

The more well known "original" sketch of the older guy with golf cap was made and released 5 months after the murders. It's been called a composite and I'm not clear on the circumstances involving that sketch, perhaps someone else as the official word on that one.

So people are curious as to why LE ignored the earlier (now primary) sketch and went with the later one for so long, which has now been discarded.

BBM

Is there a source for the witness for the "new" sketch being id'd as female? TIA

Yes, that makes sense. If the angle of BG being a possible local and/or someone familiar with the trails enough to know the alternative routes/trails out of there holds any water, then it bumps up the possibility he also knew the girls would be there. It’s a sinister possibility, fwiw.

It sure is a sinister possibility, especially if there’s reason to believe one or both girls were specifically targeted.

There's no doubt in my mind that there are people know who recognize him. I wonder if the situation is like Ted Bundy, where at least two people called authorities to report that the sketch looked like him but the tips were buried in the mountain of calls.
Yes, and I wonder if part of the goal of the press conference was to appeal to the conscience of anyone providing the murderer an alibi... :/

I was listening to a podcast about athe Yosmite murders, and the guy who killed two girls and the mother in a hotel. He explained how when the one girl wouldn't stop crying after the mother was killed, she was ruining his fantasy, so he took her into the bathroom and killed her also, while the other girl (her sister) was in the main room. Then he assaulter her, and she stayed quiet and complacent trying to survive.

It reminded me of this case. How the questions about how quickley the girls were killed, it is possible the killer had a certain fantasy in his mind, but when the girls didn't act the way he was hoping they would, he raged and killed them right away.

I've been listening to a lot of pod casts lately, and sometimes I feel that hearing the stories of these other killers, their motives, their actions, their upbringing, can open your mind to think of other things that might be happening. Maybe get your thoughts outside the box, or reminders of other cases. Hopefully the investigators are looking at other cases, even if unrelated. To see if anything helps think of a new direction to go, to find this killer.
I wonder if he didn’t quickly ‘eliminate’ one girl in order to have complete/quiet/solitary access to the other. (And that’s just terrible to type out... :/). If that were the case, who had an interest in that second girl? In the way that Jayme Closs’s kidnapper had an ‘interest’ in her?

It sure is a sinister possibility, especially if there’s reason to believe one or both girls were specifically targeted.

I know. It’s so hard to make this case out with the evidence provided to the public and direct statements from the ISP, the Carroll Sheriff’s department and the FBI. Am I missing an investigative group from the Multi-Agency Taskforce?

Carter did at least speculatively mention at the last presser, it seems like there is possibly local involvement, or at least a person with awareness of the Delphi trail system and the bridge responsible. The more time goes by, I simply wonder, to put it mildly, what is the stumbling block? Was there a person misleading investigators? Was it an investigator (sometimes there are jurisdiction problems when multiple agencies try to work together)?

So much is reading between the lines in Carter’s words during the last presser. I acknowledge that possibly wasn’t meant for the public, but a possible direct message to the killer.

Hopefully it works out for someone who may have a hunch to step forward and do the hardest thing they ever had to do, but the right thing.

To me it simply means that a sketch is not a photo. It may or may not look exactly like the person because it's subjective based upon a witness' memory and attention to details so we shouldn't take every aspect of the sketch as gospel. Don't NOT turn in a tip because the person you know has ears or eyes or whatever that are slightly different from what's in the sketch. Working with a sketch artist is difficult and very few sketches look exactly like the perp. They should be taken as tools in the investigation, not completely relied upon as the sole source of identification.

This is why people like us probably won't directly assist in solving the case. We can find all kinds of people who look just like one of the sketches, but we don't have any extra information to back that up. Calling LE and saying, "This guy on FB looks just like the sketch" isn't nearly as helpful as saying, "I have this neighbor who resembles the sketch and on the evening of the 13th I remember seeing him in his backyard, frantically hosing blood off his workboots."

How many people believe in the veracity of the sketches released by the investigation?

My opinion is that the investigators have gone through all the people out there on the Monon High Bridge area back on February 13, 2017 and have come to the conclusion, maybe because of the suspected car parked near the trail area, that it has to be someone who was out on the trails that day. So they try the first sketch of an unidentified individual. That does not work. So now they try the second sketch. But the sketches are like predicting the weather. They are based on this original conclusion that it has to be someone not yet identified by them as being out there on the trail that day. I think investigators are hoping to get lucky with the identification. I see the investigation as the same strategy, but with a different sketch.

So why would they take this approach? It really is the only approach. Think about what that means if they are wrong. It could possibly mean that the person who murdered Abigail Williams and Liberty German committed the crime and walked out of the area without being seen by a witness or by a witness who has yet to come forward to give them the right description of the man they are looking for. And yes, while investigators obviously have more details about the investigation, without a clearer picture from Liberty German's phone, investigators could be just as much guessing as the rest of us about this man's true description and identity. That is what is so scary. And this killer(who I think is a trucker) is out there just waiting for the next perfect opportunity...

So you are correct. The case will be solved by the detectives investigating it.

The news said it is going to rain tomorrow.

Uber/Lyft driver
Mechanic
Usher at church
Car dealership person
Custodian
Handyman/Painter
Traveling tool salesman

*Counter person, waitstaff, or customer assistant in a local convenience store/coffee shop/luncheonette/newsstand/gas station that Riley frequents

*Someone who regularly makes time-sensitive announcements on local radio, cable access channel, or phone chain

*Prominent local personality/teacher/performer

*Radio dispatcher or switchboard operator, receptionist in a frequently visited or called office

*School personnel who is not necessarily a teacher. Guidance counselor, lunchroom staff, school bus driver, principal, head of maintenance or fields, coach, active parent in PTA/H&S.

*Public works official, animal control etc.

Some of these overlap your and others' suggestions.

Editing to add to list as ideas occur! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member