GUILTY AK - Cynthia Hoffman, 19, found deceased, Anchorage, 2 Jun 2019 *mentality of a 12 year old* *arrest*

They all were raised in Lord of the Flies conditions?

It seems to me that there's a morality switch that in some people is turned off very early by how they neurologically process their life events, or that may have been inoperable from the start. Perhaps there's a recessive or rare genetic component that explains why members of the same nuclear family, raised in the same circumstances, don't display this depravity, yet these misbegotten souls do.

Or perhaps it's damaged (if not destroyed) by the abuse of some drugs. I don't think any drug other than MJ has been mentioned in this case yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if other substances were involved in all these young adults' lives, excepting CeeCee. There's a dead look in DB's eyes that mirrors that in DS's, and that I associate with lab-created drugs.

It frightens me that they were able to self-sort socially into one small group of the conscienceless, apparently without drawing a lot of attention or intervention from family and community, until this crime.

Speculation and MOO

MJ is not innocent drug, either. I view its legalization as anti-Prohibition measure, but I will be the first to say that there is a huge difference between CBD and THC. THC can cause severe paranoia and worst of all, we do not know the effects of prenatal exposure to it. Likewise, we don’t know meth effects on the fetal brain. (Something is known about cocaine babies, though).
All four accused whose photos I saw looked somewhat similar, tbh.

I don't think Denali is developmentally delayed, per the news, (But how could someone sane go for an internet invitation to kill and rape local kids for money?) but Cece was in some post high school program to help get along in the world, sorry I have forgotten the name. Here is a link to earlier articles on her murder, there is a lot in there for background. As I mentioned above, this is following a similarly evil crime from 2016 which occurred in Wasilla or Palmer, a few miles north. How can teenagers (in both cases) get together and actually plan a murder like that. Bad enough doing it alone, but sitting on the couch and planning to take a girl's life? Or a boy's life in the Wasilla/Palmer case? Face it, we're talking about roughly 10 teenagers/young adults planning to kill 2 victims in 2 separate cases. Someone has the gun, someone has the getaway car, someone has the pot, someone has the gas to burn evidence. TEENAGERS. I read in that article I linked to earlier that the mother of the murder victim in the previous 2016 Grunwald case came to court for moral support for the family of Cece. Cynthia Hoffman Homicide

<modsnipped>

The mother of the Wasilla/Palmer murder victim is also chair of the Alaska state parole board, according to the article. Do you know if the boy's murder was related to a parole hearing or some other grudge related to her job?

Last edited by a moderator:
MJ is not innocent drug, either. I view its legalization as anti-Prohibition measure, but I will be the first to say that there is a huge difference between CBD and THC. THC can cause severe paranoia and worst of all, we do not know the effects of prenatal exposure to it. Likewise, we don’t know meth effects on the fetal brain. (Something is known about cocaine babies, though).
All four accused whose photos I saw looked somewhat similar, tbh.

Yes, I was thinking FAS for a couple of them.

Agreed that THC can be very bad news. I use CBD and swear by it for arthritis, but I hope I never need medical cannabis, or at least not a high-THC variant. Unfortunately THC is the active substance in combating glaucoma, which I have. Sigh.

The mother of the Wasilla/Palmer murder victim is also chair of the Alaska state parole board, according to the article. Do you know if the boy's murder was related to a parole hearing or some other grudge related to her job?
I can't paste things with this little tablet. Google David Grunwald. The murder was because he smoked too much of a friend's pot stash. The friend told another friend to go get a gun and blow him away, but they dragged it out. Very grisly. Adn.com has lots on it. I think it happened in Palmer, but some of the teens were from next-door Wasilla. And they took him out in rugged country to dump his body and burned his jeep elsewhere. There were many involved. IIRC one kid got involved just to provide gas to burn the jeep. So similar to the murder a little further south, of Cece, in that so many joined in to be murderers or accomplices or to help try to cover up.

ETA she was appointed after he was murdered.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how old Denali's daughter is or if she had custody? I know worried she could have sexually abused her daughter. I hope police have made sure her daughter is safe and wasn't a victim.
the interview with her sisters was startling. They had a very violent upbringing with one of the infant sisters killed by some boyfriend of the mother. The sisters don't want anything to do with her now. She (Denali) was adopted. IIRC. I think the article is posted above. Don't know about the baby you're referring to, though. ADN really has the only coverage on these local crimes.

the interview with her sisters was startling. They had a very violent upbringing with one of the infant sisters killed by some boyfriend of the mother. The sisters don't want anything to do with her now. She (Denali) was adopted. IIRC. I think the article is posted above. Don't know about the baby you're referring to, though. ADN really has the only coverage on these local crimes.

It was in this quote from Denali Brehmer from this article Five people in Alaska are charged with murdering a 19-year-old woman | Daily Mail Online

"I know I did something wrong and I know I could have probably done something different if I was able to and I don't want my daughter knowing that her mom grew up a killer because I don't see myself as one,' said Brehmer at the arraignment on Saturday, according to KTVA." BBM

I haven't seen any other mention of her daughter but after the info came out about her sexually abusing a different child to send a video to Shilmiller I got worried about Denali having a daughter. Hoping maybe she never had custody. I know she had a rough life and she does look like she may have FAS but she still committed horrible crimes and she even says in the quote above she knows she did something wrong so it's not like she's not capable of understanding right from wrong.

You know what I'm afraid of in this case? That the media will glom onto "catfishing", and child *advertiser censored*, and the whole system will end up....poor confused murdering teens in Alaska used by evil outside lower 48 guy. Instead of looking at the problem in Alaska, how many group teenage killings does there have to be? This is not the first as I pointed out. Why is there so much of it between Anchorage and Wasilla? What are these kids being taught that they can be seduced into murder by some creepy 18 year old saying she made an online friend with big bucks. Or how can other teens murder in a group effort because someone smoked their pot?

(No please don't attack me, obviously I am not in favor of "catfishing", which I never even heard of before today, nor child *advertiser censored*). Just don't make the adult teens the victims in this case.

Last edited:
It was in this quote from Denali Brehmer from this article Five people in Alaska are charged with murdering a 19-year-old woman | Daily Mail Online

"I know I did something wrong and I know I could have probably done something different if I was able to and I don't want my daughter knowing that her mom grew up a killer because I don't see myself as one,' said Brehmer at the arraignment on Saturday, according to KTVA." BBM

I haven't seen any other mention of her daughter but after the info came out about her sexually abusing a different child to send a video to Shilmiller I got worried about Denali having a daughter. Hoping maybe she never had custody. I know she had a rough life and she does look like she may have FAS but she still committed horrible crimes and she even says in the quote above she knows she did something wrong so it's not like she's not capable of understanding right from wrong.

Both she and Schilmiller were able to understand right from wrong. Daryn, for example, understands the simplest concept, that if you kill, or even direct a killing, the police may come after you. (He texted to Brehmer after the killing, something along the lines of, if the police comes to him, he won’t keep silent). This simple cause-and-effect should have been enough.

Probably there are many components here to discuss, including the gun, and homelessness.

But take away the Internet with its *advertiser censored* sites, and what is left of the story? Would this murder even happen?

You know what I'm afraid of in this case? That the media will glom onto "catfishing", and child *advertiser censored*, and the whole system will end up....poor confused murdering teens in Alaska used by evil outside lower 48 guy. Instead of looking at the problem in Alaska, how many group teenage killings does there have to be? This is not the first as I pointed out. Why is there so much of it between Anchorage and Wasilla? What are these kids being taught that they can be seduced into murder by some creepy 18 year old saying she made an online friend with big bucks. Or how can other teens murder in a group effort because someone smoked their pot?

(No please don't attack me, obviously I am not in favor of "catfishing", which I never even heard of before today, nor child *advertiser censored*). Just don't make the adult teens the victims in this case.

Alaska is a very special place. I visited it in summer, and it was dull and gloomy. In winter, when the says are short, SAD might be the factor in self-medicating. And self-medicating has dire consequences.

Other components of this crime, such as homelessness of the killer and easy access to guns, are also pertinent.

Likewise, shocking lack of critical thinking, because critical thinking is, sadly, not taught at schools.

And one more thing, I don’t know Daryn’s diagnosis, but my guess would be, similar to what @gitana1 has mentioned. Such kids do well with structure. How can we provide structure in 600-people-rural community in Indiana? But it has to be done to prevent future senseless, idiotic murders.

Catfishing or not, it is very simple in my opinion.

Is it right to murder someone or is it wrong? Whether someone offers you money to kill, film it all and then send them pictures, is this right or wrong?

All of those involved know that murder is wrong. There are very few people who commit murders who don't know it's wrong. Those that don't know it's wrong are in a whole other category.

Critical thinking or not.....murder is wrong. Sexual assault is wrong. They knew it was wrong but did it anyway thinking they would get paid. Perhaps this is where critical thinking should have or could have come into play.

The bottom line is that they knew what they were doing was wrong. Murder is wrong.

MOO

Catfishing or not, it is very simple in my opinion.

Is it right to murder someone or is it wrong? Whether someone offers you money to kill, film it all and then send them pictures, is this right or wrong?

All of those involved know that murder is wrong. There are very few people who commit murders who don't know it's wrong. Those that don't know it's wrong are in a whole other category.

Critical thinking or not.....murder is wrong. Sexual assault is wrong. They knew it was wrong but did it anyway thinking they would get paid. Perhaps this is where critical thinking should have or could have come into play.

The bottom line is that they knew what they were doing was wrong. Murder is wrong.

MOO

Murder is wrong. But that is probably not the way they thought. They were dividing 9 M that in their mind, they would get for murder.

And it is a very different way of thinking. How many people would kill for 9 M? Heck, we have hired assassins who would do it for much less...

So if people have no moral scruples, if they are fully ready to do it for 9 M, if they are already dividing the proceedings, for such people the first question would not be, is it right or wrong? The question is, is the promise realistic?

Some of this may be partly repeated "“This is a poem I wrote is called Nightmare in My Head,” the dad wrote Tuesday in a post. “My daughter hung out with somebody she thought with her best friend and thought she was having fun. My daughter got convinced to be duck taped in my head… Why [was] her back was turned she got shot through the head?”
https://nypost.com/2019/06/20/griev...rs-friends-who-killed-her-in-depraved-scheme/

"Theirs was a family that operated on a policy that honesty is best, and communication is key. No matter the circumstances, no matter the time, Hoffman’s children knew they could call their father and that if their father called them, to pick up the phone.

“I was what people said I was: an overprotective parent,” Hoffman said.

“But look what happened.” The Murder of Cynthia Hoffman: Woman Known as Pal to All Believed by Cops to Have Been Killed by Best Friend

"He (Shilmiller) also told officials that, after the murder, he and Brehmer discussed another murder but nothing ever came of it. Schilmiller did admit to blackmailing Brehmer into raping people."
"The pair met while attending the same high school in Anchorage and soon became inseparable.

“She came over here a few times … [and Cynthia would ask,] ‘Hey dad, can I go hang out with her dad?’ ‘can I stay the night with her?’ ‘can I go do this with her?’” Hoffman said. “And then while I was waiting [for police], her best friend called me and started texting me, saying ‘I hope she’s alright, I hope nothing’s happened to her.’”
The Murder of Cynthia Hoffman: Woman Known as Pal to All Believed by Cops to Have Been Killed by Best Friend

Alaska is a very special place. I visited it in summer, and it was dull and gloomy. In winter, when the says are short, SAD might be the factor in self-medicating. And self-medicating has dire consequences.

Other components of this crime, such as homelessness of the killer and easy access to guns, are also pertinent.

Likewise, shocking lack of critical thinking, because critical thinking is, sadly, not taught at schools.

And one more thing, I don’t know Daryn’s diagnosis, but my guess would be, similar to what @gitana1 has mentioned. Such kids do well with structure. How can we provide structure in 600-people-rural community in Indiana? But it has to be done to prevent future senseless, idiotic murders.
With 25 Alaska winters/summers under my belt, I am personally familiar with the depressing effects of SAD, and like you mention, it sure can be dull and gloomy even in summer, especially to a visitor with no charming home in the woods from which to enjoy it all.

But recently I have seen a change resulting, IMO, due to prominent glorification of gun freaks by "leaders", and from drug production and consumption. It used to be that some trapper got cabin fever and axed or shot his buddy to death, burying him in a snowbank until everything melted. It also used to be that everyone had guns, but the idea was for hunting and protecting your house from marauding bears and unbalanced hermits. Teens grew up with gun sense, were often hunters, and continued on to some career without being murderers. Now it's large groups of teenagers getting together to murder their trusting friends like Cynthia Hoffman. And, it's centered north of Anchorage towards Wasilla, IMO. I don't hear of this scale of murder near other population centers.

This is why I hope that the actions of these adult teens are not brushed off as just being victims of a 21 year old creep from the lower 48 who offered them money to kill friend(s). If they don't know better....WHY?

Last edited:

From the link:

Schilmiller's family sent WAVE 3 News the following statement:

“Darin Schilmiller was born as Darin Thomas. He is a low-functioning individual, which was apparent at an early age. His biological family did not want him. He was subsequently adopted into the Schilmiller family in an attempt to provide a better life for a child. We had no knowledge of what was happening nor did we believe he was mentally and morally capable of carrying out these actions. We are mortified this is attached to our name. Our family is disgusted and hopes justice is served. We want the victims’ families to know our thoughts and prayers are with them. As bad as our embarrassment may be, it pales in comparison to the tragedy they have to endure.”

I don't think anyone has to worry that the actions of the Alaska teenagers will be "dismissed" as victims. There is clear evidence that they knew what they were doing was wrong, Denali made an attempt to conceal the crime (by falsely giving reassuring and misleading information to the father) in addition to stating she knew what she was doing was wrong, and the crime was clearly premeditated.

I just heard about this case today when it was briefly mentioned in another active thread. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this one! Everyone involved seems so apathetic, which I guess partially makes sense given their supposed developmental delays and/or trauma. I still find it very weird. Not much information about families on either side. I guess it is a silver lining in that the case wasn't dragged out and the people that did this were identified early on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back