Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised either. This is a weighty decision. If my prior jury duty is any indication (although I was never on a DP case), I would guess that around 1/3 of the jurors in a first ballot indicated 'not sure' and just want to talk it through and be convinced by the others. In a case where there is so little hard evidence, I'm not surprised. Everyone's going to want to have their say, and that's 12 people. Assuming they went to lunch at noon, returned at 1:30 (the usual schedule in CA), they haven't even been deliberating for an hour yet. I do expect a DP verdict, just not very quickly. My guess is late this afternoon or the next court day (be it tomorrow or Monday) before noon of that day. Just MHO as they say.

Interesting to watch Maline suddenly notice he was not getting positive reaction from the jury, after rehashing the trial. Trying to sew a seed of doubt in what they might see when they are finally allowed to watch the footage of all the parts they were excluded from.
Ouch. Didn't like it at all. A guilting kinda threat.I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the beginning, pleading for his boy like a wounded warrior. But then I got a grip.

Lmao

Small Suit is so shameless
IMO he would have been much more effective pleading for mercy for his client. All of 5 minutes.He sits before you a guilty man. He is a flawed man but he is a human being. Two of his 3 children sit before you. His oldest daughter, Taylor, has been here since day one supporting her father whom she loves and believes in.He splurged to buy her her favorite prom dress. Consider these children living under the veil of their father being sentenced to death. Is it really worth it? Is it really appropriate MOO.

IMO he would have been much more effective pleading for mercy for his client. All of 5 minutes.He sits before you a guilty man. He is a flawed man but he is a human being. Two of his 3 children sit before you. His oldest daughter, Taylor, has been here since day one supporting her father whom she loves and believes in.He splurged to buy her her favorite prom dress. Consider these children living under the veil of their father being sentenced to death. Is it really worth it? Is it really appropriate MOO.
Even if he didn't admit guilt he could've said the same things. We respect your decision, don't agree with it but you've made the final verdict and now we ask...blah, blah, blah. He should've done everything except insult the jury. Unless he was intentionally trying to piss them off.

Even if he didn't admit guilt he could've said the same things. We respect your decision, don't agree with it but you've made the final verdict and now we ask...blah, blah, blah. He should've done everything except insult the jury. Unless he was intentionally trying to piss them off.
I only meant guilty in the eyes of the jury.
I doubt he intentionally meant to piss the jury off.
That would be really stupid at this stage of the game.MOO.

I only meant guilty in the eyes of the jury.
I doubt he intentionally meant to piss the jury off.
That would be really stupid at this stage of the game.MOO.
Oh ok, now I understand.

What I meant by pissing off the jury is doing so if they're hoping for a death sentence. It seems to me like that's what they're wanting since they made no pleas asking otherwise. Idk, the entire thing was weird.

Oh ok, now I understand .

What I meant by pissing off the jury is doing so if they're hoping for a death sentence. It seems to me like that's what they're wanting since they made no pleas asking otherwise. Idk, the entire thing was weird.

Totally agree. He could have BRIEFLY touched on the lingering doubt aspect. Ridiculous to rehash everything. Maline could have said you found him guilty, we respect your opinion, blah blah blah, if you have any lingering doubt of the 3 sets of DNA,, vote LWOP, etc etc.

Oh ok, now I understand.

They may think DP is actually safer for him (sheltered from other inmates who may seek to harm him), plus they may think he has a better chance of getting the conviction overturned/retrial with DP rather than LWOP. I don't know, but today and his tone just seemed too weird for any on DT to think this is the way to appeal to the jurors to not get DP.

Thanks Tortoise. I haven’t watched him in action before. Just looking at him is hard and he’s barely started.

I had to fast forward. It was just too painful to watch him bumble along, re-trying the case, insulting the jurors. Are they planning to appeal based on “inadequate defense” or something? Good grief! I’m glad I didn’t watch the trial. After Jodi Arias I never wanted to watch another one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong