Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article states whatsapp was only able to access and disclose some data - which can include a user's name, last seen date, IP address and basic information - but not the encrypted content.

So Police will know who he was messaging - they would be looking at this people and I’m sure a warrant executed for the content of the messages.

I believe the police are withholding ALOT of information and don’t fall for the “it’s all a mystery”
I'm sure. I wonder if my theory will be anywhere near close. I believe there is an Unsub, and that he/she somehow came across Theo in Sydney.

Just looking at all possibilities .... Theo also could have been picked up unwillingly, and been transported somewhere else.

Wouldn't be the first time that someone else has used a victim's left-open communications on the victim's phone to send messages as if it was the victim sending the message.

Then chucked Theo's phone out in the vicinity of the lighthouse, some time later, to make it seem as if Theo dropped his phone there and jumped off a cliff.

Depends how smart a perp is, or thinks that they are.

I wish we knew the different zones where Theo's phone was pinging, and when. But police know, and that is what is important. They said yesterday that they were looking at all possibilities.
The known messenger text chat at 12.20am was about him working with his Dad’s band or on a musical project when he got home. It is possible that he told someone that and they’ve used that info in a message, but I doubt it. If someone took his phone I doubt they’d bother wasting time pretending to be him and potentially slipping up and drawing attention. It would’ve been him texting at 12.20am.

I wonder if he just took a detour to the beach in front of his hostel and was just chilling out alone. If he was preoccupied, it’s less likely he’d be chatting online to a relative/friend in Belgium about future plans.

Last edited:
Did anyone see my earlier post about Google location tracking? Unless Theo had his location tracking turned off, which IMO is unlikely if you are a traveller in unfamiliar areas, then they have this data.
Even if phone is out of reception or airplane mode is turned on.

*Phone tower pings are notoriously unreliable.*

Investigators need to get info from Google or even contact his GF who may have his account login info.

This stuff is not encrypted.

ETA: this google location data comes from phone's inbuilt GPS rather than phone network.

I really think they need to go down this route to get his last steps to the metre. It also tracks how long you stay in one location, if you were running, etc. It's scary how much info is collected about you if you have a smart phone.

Last edited:
Just a thought. If a phone is thrown and smashes, or breaks, will it still ping if the sims intact? If it’s not water proof, will it die almost immediately upon entering water?

That it pinged at 1pm gives the impression that it wasn’t damaged, right?

Did anyone see my earlier post about Google location tracking? Unless Theo had his location tracking turned off, which IMO is unlikely if you are a traveller in unfamiliar areas, then they have this data.
Even if phone is out of reception or airplane mode is turned on.

*Phone tower pings are notoriously unreliable.*

Investigators need to get info from Google or even contact his GF who may have his account login info.

This stuff is not encrypted.

ETA: this google location data comes from phone's inbuilt GPS rather than phone network.

I really think they need to go down this route to get his last steps to the metre. It also tracks how long you stay in one location, if you were running, etc. It's scary how much info is collected about you if you have a smart phone.
Surely they would’ve or are. When it all comes out I think we’ll be stunned by how much intell they had from an early stage. Given that, the current police actions would be based on what they know. They’re after the phone and currently focused on the cape. If only we knew the rest....

My real thoughts are that if he met with foul play (if he still had his phone on him at the time) I would think the perp would take a phone and destroy it or throw it in the water whatever. It would depend if it was an accident I guess and the person panicked and ran or was someone experianced in crime. I refer to Jill in Melbourne and her attacker removing her phone sim from memory or phone all together. So i wonder if was an unfortunate fall or accident he had where his phone still lay with him until it ran out battery. When mobile phones get stolen deliberately first thing they do is turn the phone off so nobody can call it (for most part) and if knew what they were doing remove the sim. I wonder if anyone with him that night looked at his phone at any point towards end night and saw his battery %. Long shot but who knows. He seems to have his phone in his hand in most CCTV,
A turned off phone still pings right? Didn’t Jill Meagher’s killer only take her SIM out when he got back home. They tracked him by matching (triangulating?) his phone pings with hers along the freeway.

Surely they would’ve or are. When it all comes out I think we’ll be stunned by how much intell they had from an early stage. Given that, the current police actions would be based on what they know. They’re after the phone and currently focused on the cape. If only we knew the rest....
The police seems sure about where to look.... For his phone. So that tells me the phone pings, GPS info if they have it from Google, the state of the phone (sleeping/damaged or not) all point to the Cape Byron area. It might have entered water though, so they cover all bases and send in divers.

IMO the volunteers may be wasting their time, by following info from those who can't be named, and keep searching Broken Head area. MOO JMO.

ps. @Aron.Wor this is how you post your theory, by using 3 letter words for disclaimer :)

The police seems sure about where to look.... For his phone. So that tells me the phone pings, GPS info if they have it from Google, the state of the phone (sleeping/damaged or not) all point to the Cape Byron area. It might have entered water though, so they cover all bases and send in divers.

IMO the volunteers may be wasting their time, by following info from those who can't be named, and keep searching Broken Head area. MOO JMO.

ps. @Aron.Wor this is how you post your theory, by using 3 letter words for disclaimer :)

Agree.

The intensity of the search for the phone throws me - maybe the whatsapp data provided didn’t reveal the identity of the person he was texting. Otherwise why do they need it so badly?

It’s not like the perp would have text “I’m going to pick you up and get rid of you..” so the relevance of what’s in the messsges seems strange.

JMO.

Agree.

The intensity of the search for the phone throws me - maybe the whatsapp data provided didn’t reveal the identity of the person he was texting. Otherwise why do they need it so badly?

It’s not like the perp would have text “I’m going to pick you up and get rid of you..” so the relevance of what’s in the messsges seems strange.

JMO.
Not what, but who. They can’t access the what due to message content encryption rendering it an indecipherable scrambled code for those not party to the conversation. They do have a chance with the who. He may have made calls too, or alternated between Messenger and WhatsApp. They’re after the phone because it holds information, may be with him and may be the only tangible clue they have.

Agree.

JMO.
Or, they do know the identity of the other person, but they have deleted those messages from their phone, and claim they were just innocent messages. Without Theo's phone, they can't nail this person, can only continue to monitor them etc.

There must be something highly suspicious about this Whatsapp correspondence, and if the content won't plainly say what was happening, then what could it be?
...MOO

Ha MOO Seems unlikely (but of course possible) the phone lasted some time out of water to then be submerged after 1.42pm. If anything is around the Cape it’ll surface. I doubt you could stop the Broken Head spiders web of searchers, so let’s see if anything eventuates there.

Or, they do know the identity of the other person, but they have deleted those messages from their phone, and claim they were just innocent messages. Without Theo's phone, they can't nail this person, can only continue to monitor them etc.

There must be something highly suspicious about this Whatsapp correspondence, and if the content won't plainly say what was happening, then what could it be?
...MOO
Maybe they have their sights on someone, seemingly cleared on the public record, but not really.

Not what, but who. They can’t access the what due to message content encryption rendering it an indecipherable scrambled code for those not party to the conversation. They do have a chance with the who. He may have made calls too, or alternated between Messenger and WhatsApp. They’re after the phone because it holds information, may be with him and may be the only tangible clue they have.

Whatsapp have provided this information. Username, IP address etc which can all be tracked back to a person. You can’t use whatsapp without a valid phone number. So in theory they should know the “who”

Fleet of police resources help in search for Theo Hayez

I so hope they find him and/or answers soon the wait must be a huge torment, don't know that I could handle it all. I think I would end up be heavily medicated.

It is still very upsetting to think of Theo’s Father so distressed at the press conference. This is every parent's worst nightmare to have their child go missing on the other side of the world.

Whatsapp have provided this information. Username, IP address etc which can all be tracked back to a person. You can’t use whatsapp without a valid phone number. So in theory they should know the “who”

The who could be 'black knight' or 'feelz good' or 'beebopalula' ... may not be a real name or identity.
Just Theo may have known who the identity really is.

There are a lot of fake identities out there, and a lot of fake email addresses attached to those fake identities. And an IP address does not have to be consistent. Over wifi it can change and change and change.

That's because the IP address of "your" computer doesn't belong to your computer—it belongs to the network you're connected to. Your computer is just borrowing it for a while.
That's why you'd have a different IP address at a coffee shop than the IP address you'd have at a hotel on the corner. Different networks, different IP addresses.
Why does my IP keep changing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member