OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#49

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the article linked in my previous post about Brently and his mom Chelsea Robinson, I found this quote disturbing:

The Robinsons sleep together now in a huddle. Their guns are loaded. A neighbor catnaps during the day so he can stand watch at night.

“I go to bed scared every night,” Chelsea said, wiping away her tears. Then she looked over at Brentley who was focused on his fistful of army men. She caught her breath. “But I wake up grateful every morning knowing that we’ve lived another day.”

Holly Zacharia's article was published in the Columbus Dispatch on May 13, 2016, just a few weeks after the murders. LE didn't even suspect the Wagners at that time. Looking back, it's terrifying to think Chelsea was having to rely on herself and a neighbor to help protect her and Brently back then. They were in extreme danger, JMO.

JMO, it's possible the Wags considered making a late night visit to Brently and his mom to make sure he didn't talk about what he saw or heard that night. It makes me angry that young woman and her child had to live in fear for so many years. But he lived, he talked and it may have helped put AW in jail. Permanently, I hope. JMO

Link again

Mother of 3-year-old who survived Pike County shootings learns to adjust

IDK, but just sleuthing...does anyone remember a hunter who reported to LE that he heard shots that morning? IIRC, it was the opening day of Turkey season. TY. JMO

Yes. Someone posted about it here, but we couldn't discuss it. I searched right away and found the link, but it wasn't an MSM source, so against TOS. IIRC, the hunter related his experience in a comment on a blog or local web site of some sort. Still can't discuss it here for that reason.

Yes. Someone posted about it here, but we couldn't discuss it. I searched right away and found the link, but it wasn't an MSM source, so against TOS. IIRC, the hunter related his experience in a comment on a blog or local web site of some sort. Still can't discuss it here for that reason.

Thanks, Betty. Appreciate it.

In addition, the state fire marshal's office helped in the investigation, and the Franklin County dive team came from Columbus to, among other things, run special cameras down into wells to look for evidence.

DeWine and Reader prepared the public from the start for the fact that this investigation wouldn't come cheaply. The trailer moves, plus having a contractor board up the Rhoden family outbuildings to prevent vandalism and looting, cost $63,000. As much as $38,000 of that could be reimbursed through the state's Office of Criminal Justice Services, and Reader said he intends to seek that help.

This article was written 5 weeks after the murders, a special dive unit came from Columbus to put cameras down inside wells to hunt for evidence, with all the help the BCI had why would they need the State Fire Marshal? I think they where starting to check the Wagners out then, JMO

PIKETON, Ohio — Tony Rhoden climbs into his pickup truck and drives alone out to Union Hill Road. This is a trip he makes each evening now, just before the sun dips behind the hillside.

If they've done what they were supposed to, a couple of his nephews have already been there.

The boys toss grain for the dozens of guinea fowl, chickens and banty roosters — some in coops, some that roam this land that has belonged for decades to the Rhoden family. They slop the one hog out back, a beast of an animal that tops 500 pounds.

Tony knows his nephews do it right. But he stops every night anyway

I would say the killers came in right off the highway because if you walk anywhere close to those Guinea Fowls they let everyone know someone is around outside,JMO

Yes those Guinea Fowl are noisy and get refered to as watch dogs with feathers...

While investigators in Ohio struggled for a fifth day to find a motive and the person or people responsible for the massacre of eight members of the same family, officials said Tuesday that autopsy results revealed that some of the victims show signs of struggle before they were killed.

The Pike County Medical Examiner said the eight victims — all part of the Rhoden family — died from gunshot wounds. One victim suffered nine gunshot wounds, and some victims showed soft tissue bruising, indicating that they fought their killer or killers, according to the medical examiner

US News reported this article, it indicates that some of the Rhodens fault back while being murder.

Mistake #1 - Boondock Saints came out in 1999. They used a 17 year old movie to plan the 2016 murders. They forgot that scientific analysis of evidence has come a LONG way since 1999, particularly in the fields of DNA, forensics, facial recognition and camera quality. Also, cell phones can pretty much track your movement, they were not so widely used or affordable in 1999.

If they were true to the plot of the Boondock Saints movie, they would have spread ammonia over the crime scenes to attempt to destroy any DNA evidence. As we all know, ammonia has a toxic and strong odor.

I think they came and left through the front doors. If the hidden key was missing, LE would have known right away it was not a drug cartel, but someone very close to them that would have known where the key was kept. They locked doors on way out to delay discovery of the crimes.

In the trailers where they left small children they opened the windows so the children didn't die of the odors.

Notice CRsr's dogs were outside the house when BJM arrived that morning, that struck BJM as very unusual. The W4 love dogs, they have cried over dogs, they didn't want risk killing the dogs by ingesting or smelling any ammonia.

Anyway, just a possible scenario, JMO, MOO etc.....

ETA - Was Brownie found outside too?

I like it. I'm unsure if Brownie was inside or out, when DS found KR.

I'm having a difficult time coming up with any other reason why that video evidence of his interview would be in her discovery. Something in that interview connects that poor little boy with AW that night.

• He didn't have a cell phone or any other means to communicate w/AW
  • He was home all evening
  • He was there when the murders happened
  • He didn't leave until BJM rescued him
  • He went from the home to BJM's car
  • From BJM's car, EMS took him to the hospital
  • Unlikely AW was at the hospital or talked to him there
  • Unlikely AW was at the crime scene when BJM and LE were there, so...
When would AW have interacted with Brently?

Pike County: 'I was not leaving those babies in there'

ETA: Brently's mom was at Frankie's place with Brently until 10:30 pm the night of the murders. She didn't mention seeing AW there during that time.

Could it be because the child has stated what sex the intruders were?

I'm having a difficult time coming up with any other reason why that video evidence of his interview would be in her discovery. Something in that interview connects that poor little boy with AW that night.

• He didn't have a cell phone or any other means to communicate w/AW
  • He was home all evening
  • He was there when the murders happened
  • He didn't leave until BJM rescued him
  • He went from the home to BJM's car
  • From BJM's car, EMS took him to the hospital
  • Unlikely AW was at the hospital or talked to him there
  • Unlikely AW was at the crime scene when BJM and LE were there, so...
When would AW have interacted with Brently?

Pike County: 'I was not leaving those babies in there'

ETA: Brently's mom was at Frankie's place with Brently until 10:30 pm the night of the murders. She didn't mention seeing AW there during that time.

Good overview. Process of elimination.
BBM: Your question:

"When would AW have interacted with Brently?"

The only time for her to have had time to interact with him, would be if she had come into the house with the others to commit the murders. What if he heard the word Angela or he mentioned hearing a woman's voice?
She would not have to directly interact with him for him to have heard something.

If his interview only turns up in Angie's evidence then I'm guessing he mentioned something involving a female. If all 4 Wagner's get his interview in evidence then perhaps it involves him hearing multiple people talking?

Or maybe he noticed something in the morning?

He said something significant for it to be Discovery Evidence. Opinion only.
Anyone else have ideas?o_O

Good overview. Process of elimination.
BBM: Your question:

"When would AW have interacted with Brently?"

The only time for her to have had time to interact with him, would be if she had come into the house with the others to commit the murders. What if he heard the word Angela or he mentioned hearing a woman's voice?
She would not have to directly interact with him for him to have heard something.

If his interview only turns up in Angie's evidence then I'm guessing he mentioned something involving a female. If all 4 Wagner's get his interview in evidence then perhaps it involves him hearing multiple people talking?

Or maybe he noticed something in the morning?

He said something significant for it to be Discovery Evidence. Opinion only.
Anyone else have ideas?o_O

This article states that he was watching cartoons. Maybe AW set up the TV cartoons.

Three years after killings, Rhoden murder case works way through court

This article states that he was watching cartoons. Maybe AW set up the TV cartoons.

BBM

It's been over 3 years and this is the first time I've read an article where it was said BJM found Brently with cartoons playing on the TV. Wait, what? Did BJM really say that?
If anyone finds an article that quotes BJM saying this, please link. Thankx.

Well, if cartoons were playing then it's not outside the realm of possibility, o_O that Angie distracted him with cartoons, then he went back to sleep. A mother would think to do that but not drug hitmen...... 2 Cents Only ......

Mistake #1 - Boondock Saints came out in 1999. They used a 17 year old movie to plan the 2016 murders. They forgot that scientific analysis of evidence has come a LONG way since 1999, particularly in the fields of DNA, forensics, facial recognition and camera quality. Also, cell phones can pretty much track your movement, they were not so widely used or affordable in 1999.

If they were true to the plot of the Boondock Saints movie, they would have spread ammonia over the crime scenes to attempt to destroy any DNA evidence. As we all know, ammonia has a toxic and strong odor.

I think they came and left through the front doors. If the hidden key was missing, LE would have known right away it was not a drug cartel, but someone very close to them that would have known where the key was kept. They locked doors on way out to delay discovery of the crimes.

In the trailers where they left small children they opened the windows so the children didn't die of the odors.

Notice CRsr's dogs were outside the house when BJM arrived that morning, that struck BJM as very unusual. The W4 love dogs, they have cried over dogs, they didn't want risk killing the dogs by ingesting or smelling any ammonia.

Anyway, just a possible scenario, JMO, MOO etc.....

ETA - Was Brownie found outside too?
Brownie was found inside, IIRC.

That’s an interesting theory. IF the windows were opened because ammonia was poured throughout the crime scenes and the murderers didn’t want to risk the children succumbing to toxic levels of ammonia exposure, why weren’t the children immediately taken to the hospital to be treated(if needed) and immediately assessed for ammonia toxicity? In this article, CRob and her mother speak about caring for R, along with B, in their car outside the crime scenes for hours. Keep in mind, CRob got the call at 8:14 am, made the 40 minute drive in 20 minutes, arriving at approximately 835-840am. That was 35-45 ish minutes after BJM had removed two children from Frankie’s house. 'I picked up daddy's hand, and it just fell,' said 3-year-old after he found murdered father Both R & K were transported to a hospital at some point that morning and it wasn’t until 5pm when CRob was on her way home with B that she was advised to have him checked out. I dont know if ammonia was or was not poured in the crime scenes, but if it was, it seems a bit futile to open a window for fumes when pouring ammonia on the victims who had babies next to them and between them. The babies would’ve been covered in ammonia too. JMHO.

I do agree though, that the accused entered and exited the homes through the doors of each home. The only one of them who I could even remotely imagine successfully climbing through a trailer window would be Jake and well, I just don’t believe that’s the case. I can’t see the purpose for that. Who knows though because out of all cases I’ve ever followed, this case takes the cake having the most bizarre, unbelievable details at every turn, dip, bump, and crack in the road.

Haven't heard these since I was a kid

I guess it’s true you really learn something new every day because until now I had no idea what these were. Sometimes when it comes to the poultry talk on here, I can relate to Dewine and his wife informing him about the chickens at Frankie’s. I wouldn’t have known that either back then if it wasn’t for his wife :p

Thanks! Good catch. I hadn't noticed that, either.

Frankie and Hannah were found dead in their beds in the trailer next door. Frankie’s 3-year-old son from a previous relationship was found unharmed in the living room — with cartoons playing on the television — when Dana’s sister discovered the bodies just before 8 a.m.

It's possible he did that himself, but also possible it was done by someone else to keep him distracted. Makes me wonder how much the reporters know about these murders but can't report. Holly Zacharia reported this just after the arrests of the Wagners. Or maybe she didn't think it was relevant info. IDK.

The crime scene at Frankie's must have really made LE curious with B****ly & R**er locked inside, the TV playing cartoons and parents in bed.

If B****ly said something about a woman being there that night, what did LE make of that? It would have been an odd bit of information to fit in with the rest of the evidence. Did they think, at first, that he may have imagined it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brownie was found inside, IIRC.

That’s an interesting theory. IF the windows were opened because ammonia was poured throughout the crime scenes and the murderers didn’t want to risk the children succumbing to toxic levels of ammonia exposure, why weren’t the children immediately taken to the hospital to be treated(if needed) and immediately assessed for ammonia toxicity? In this article, CRob and her mother speak about caring for R, along with B, in their car outside the crime scenes for hours. Keep in mind, CRob got the call at 8:14 am, made the 40 minute drive in 20 minutes, arriving at approximately 835-840am. That was 35-45 ish minutes after BJM had removed two children from Frankie’s house. 'I picked up daddy's hand, and it just fell,' said 3-year-old after he found murdered father Both R & K were transported to a hospital at some point that morning and it wasn’t until 5pm when CRob was on her way home with B that she was advised to have him checked out. I dont know if ammonia was or was not poured in the crime scenes, but if it was, it seems a bit futile to open a window for fumes when pouring ammonia on the victims who had babies next to them and between them. The babies would’ve been covered in ammonia too. JMHO.

I do agree though, that the accused entered and exited the homes through the doors of each home. The only one of them who I could even remotely imagine successfully climbing through a trailer window would be Jake and well, I just don’t believe that’s the case. I can’t see the purpose for that. Who knows though because out of all cases I’ve ever followed, this case takes the cake having the most bizarre, unbelievable details at every turn, dip, bump, and crack in the road.

Yes, the open windows and locked doors are going to be a mystery for a while longer, at least until the trials. I don't recall JM saying whether Dana's door was locked. KR's wasn't, it locked from the outside.

It reminds us again of the depth of planning that went into every murder & crime scene. Almost like someone was there with a check list for each location, reminding everyone what to do, covering all the details of the plan. A plan they helped devise, whose details they worked out in advance. "Do we leave the dogs inside or out?" "Do we lock the doors where the kids will be left alive?"

As for using ammonia or something similar at the crime scenes to destroy any DNA, wouldn't someone have mentioned by now the powerful odor at the crime scenes or did LE instruct everyone to not mention it? I'd think you could smell that a ways down the road, IDK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member