GUILTY IN - Ryan Martin, 29, murdered in suspect Talmadge Jasper's home, Lafayette, 23 May 2019

MOO you won't see many details, the case has been granted rule 9 confidentiality.
Typical reasons Rule 9 is granted: protective orders, ongoing investigations that would be compromised, mental health issues in the case. MOO there will be a plea deal in this case.
@Boxer @ERIBEAR99
I understand how Rule 9 works. But that information on the case with RM wouldn't have anything to do with protection order. That's a different case and SR was one with protection order. I was just curious Eribear99 of you had anything to back that comment up that TJ abused SR or is that just your Opinion that he was?

@Boxer @ERIBEAR99
I understand how Rule 9 works. But that information on the case with RM wouldn't have anything to do with protection order. That's a different case and SR was one with protection order. I was just curious Eribear99 of you had anything to back that comment up that TJ abused SR or is that just your Opinion that he was?

MOO she applied for a protection order and was granted a protection order. Evidence that PO no contact order was needed had to be shown the court but details will be confidential. Protection Orders are granted to prevent domestic violence.

Ok so why is all the evidence under wraps in this case exactly?

Just because of the PO in effect or something else? The evidence is cut and dried surely isn't it? Dead body in your closet and last known contact was with the suspect. What do we think is happening behind the scenes?

Just because of the PO in effect or something else? The evidence is cut and dried surely isn't it? Dead body in your closet and last known contact was with the suspect. What do we think is happening behind the scenes?

MOO I think negotiations for a plea deal. My opinion only, TJ has some issues and his family is funding a vigorous defense for as little consequences as possible.

MOO making the search warrant confidential, if it is, I can't find it, is likely a defense motion for rule 9.
The DA would want rule 9 motion to keep an details of an ongoing investigation
confidential.
Defense is also likely to want to keep PO against TJ confidential, and rule 9 can be used to keep any MH issues he might have from exposed.

Last edited:

@tresir2012 I'm guessing any kind of case like this is going to have evidence sealed. Nothing really seems cut and dry in this case. MOO there is probably lots we dont know or might ever know. MOO seems like there is so many twist in this case. So much doesn't make sense.

MOO I think negotiations for a plea deal. My opinion only, TJ has some issues and his family is funding a vigorous defense for as little consequences as possible

MOO making the search warrant confidential, if it is, I can't find it, is likely a defense motion for rule 9.
The DA would want rule 9 motion to keep an details of an ongoing investigation
confidential.
Defense is also likely to want to keep PO against TJ confidential, and rule 9 can be used to keep any MH issues he might have from exposed.
@Boxer what do you mean MH issues? I'm guessing with this kind of case rule 9 would be standard. I was wondering if he would have a public defender. In a case like this you wouldn't want a Public Defender. Makes sense to hire someone. Is it your opinion that you think he will get little consequences as possible?

I have read the entirety of this so am not just jumping in but I have not commented before. It definitely seems there is more to this that is unknown to most of us. It does not change the murder victim was a victim and stuffed into a closet.

So we have a young perpetrator who hired a private attorney and yet seems to be someone who worked a job, was not in college, or anyone of any means, car, etc. The money must come from family? To hire a private attorney? Just speculating and also an observation based on other posts I have read in the number of pages here over several days.

I have other thoughts but they are such absolutely pure speculation that I will refrain. I do agree with others though generally in the question of what is the reason they work together, live not that far apart, shared a ride and one was with this gf and now another was that knew and worked and rode with the first bf? Many people's worlds are not that large...

What was the real reason... ?

I am not buying the jealousy angle as a main motive for some reason...

My opinion based on the bit known and subject to change :) and jmo.

@Boxer what do you mean MH issues? I'm guessing with this kind of case rule 9 would be standard. I was wondering if he would have a public defender. In a case like this you wouldn't want a Public Defender. Makes sense to hire someone. Is it your opinion that you think he will get little consequences as possible?
TJ has a lawyer from Delphi. Manahan from Emerson and Manahan. If the family can afford it MOO yes it is better to have your own attorney. MOO since one the reasons for the court can grant Rule 9 are MH issues I am speculating there some are issues.
Killing someone in own apartment, hiding the body and attempting some kind of cover up just seems MH.
Since there is no insanity plea in Indiana, MOO his attorney could have filed for Rule 9 for the reason of family privacy.
But this all speculation - there also
could be an ongoing investigation that the DA felt was important enough to cloak this whole case. Or protection order
details which would be revealed in every aspect of the case.

I have read the entirety of this so am not just jumping in but I have not commented before. It definitely seems there is more to this that is unknown to most of us. It does not change the murder victim was a victim and stuffed into a closet.

So we have a young perpetrator who hired a private attorney and yet seems to be someone who worked a job, was not in college, or anyone of any means, car, etc. The money must come from family? To hire a private attorney? Just speculating and also an observation based on other posts I have read in the number of pages here over several days.

I have other thoughts but they are such absolutely pure speculation that I will refrain. I do agree with others though generally in the question of what is the reason they work together, live not that far apart, shared a ride and one was with this gf and now another was that knew and worked and rode with the first bf? Many people's worlds are not that large...

MOO TJ mug photo has dilated black
eyes, usually a physiological sign of an aggressive state, different from fear which tends to create small pupils. Being in aggressive state if mind in a booking photo seems pretty unusual. Along with actually killing someone for being with an ex GF, especially given he already had a new GF.

@ilovechili the paper said that TJ got a ride home from RM from work. It looks like they both worked at arconic. Arconic is a good paying job. So maybe he had money. Having that kind of a job at such a young age. IMO he pro did have many bills if he was 18. I'm guessing it's not cheap hiring a private lawyer. I'm interested in what your thoughts are. I'm not buying it being about jealousy either. I think there is way more to it.

eyes, usually a physiological sign of an aggressive state, different from fear which tends to create small pupils. Being in aggressive state if mind in a booking photo seems pretty unusual. Along with actually killing someone for being with an ex GF, especially given he already had a new GF.
@Boxer you must have super vision. Not meaning that rude. It looks pretty blurry to me. I looked at lots of the mugg shots and lots of the eyes look like that. Could be the camera.

TJ has a lawyer from Delphi. Manahan from Emerson and Manahan. If the family can afford it MOO yes it is better to have your own attorney. MOO since one the reasons for the court can grant Rule 9 are MH issues I am speculating there some are issues.
Killing someone in own apartment, hiding the body and attempting some kind of cover up just seems MH.
Since there is no insanity plea in Indiana, MOO his attorney could have filed for Rule 9 for the reason of family privacy.
But this all speculation - there also
could be an ongoing investigation that the DA felt was important enough to cloak this whole case. Or protection order
details which would be revealed in every aspect of the case.
@Boxer Indiana does have insanity from what I just read. I'm sure its not something that is very common. But it seems like nothing in this case is. When I read mycase it looks like the rule 9 was filed by the state. Maybe it is for the families protection. It's just not sad for RM's family but for TJ's family as well. I couldn't imagine what either one of them are dealing with.

@Boxer you must have super vision. Not meaning that rude. It looks pretty blurry to me. I looked at lots of the mugg shots and lots of the eyes look like that. Could be the camera.
@Boxer Indiana does have insanity from what I just read. I'm sure its not something that is very common. But it seems like nothing in this case is. When I read mycase it looks like the rule 9 was filed by the state. Maybe it is for the families protection. It's just not sad for RM's family but for TJ's family as well. I couldn't imagine what either one of them are dealing with.

You are right the DA filed the rule 9 motions, when l looked at Mycase it wasn't as clear.
And I do agree that it's sad situation all around.
MOO I think saddest for RM's daughter.

@ilovechili the paper said that TJ got a ride home from RM from work. It looks like they both worked at arconic. Arconic is a good paying job. So maybe he had money. Having that kind of a job at such a young age. IMO he pro did have many bills if he was 18. I'm guessing it's not cheap hiring a private lawyer. I'm interested in what your thoughts are. I'm not buying it being about jealousy either. I think there is way more to it.

Yes, I admit to not knowing but money wise a fairly secure person financially can be financially devastated in fairly short order paying for a private attorney to defend a murder charge. So even if a good job for a young adult, I would not think if he scraped up the funds for a retainer, that it would last long, especially since the job probably ended with his arrest. That would lead to make an educated guess/speculate that he has help or another way of financing the attorney.

I think there is likely way more to it than jealousy too.

Jmo.

Interesting. I will have to go take a look.

Yeah, I don't know, jealousy just does not seem to fit but I guess it is possible. I think there is more to it and that Ryan was first and she was likely next--he had no chance of easily getting near her without Ryan's car and she is likely lucky she is safe. It sounds like for her to have realized as quickly as she did that they were on high alert which makes me wonder again why RM would willingly be with him. LE was pretty quickly on it too, one has to give them that. I think there is likely much more to it. Jmo though.

You are right Indiana does have a insanity defense, a defendant can be found guilty and mentally ill.
Indiana fixed the MH loophole a while back, so a defendant can't be found innocent by reason of insanity. They can be innocent, i.e. someone else did the crime, or guilty and mentally ill.

The Indiana insanity defense, where the defendant can be found guilty and mentally ill which causes the defendant to be begin their incarceration in a psychiatric facility.
Then when they deemed stabilized enough to leave the psych facility they go to prison to begin their sentence.

You are right Indiana does have a insanity defense, a defendant can be found guilty and mentally ill.
Indiana fixed the MH loophole a while back, so a defendant can't be found innocent by reason of insanity. They can be innocent, i.e. someone else did the crime, or guilty and mentally ill.

The Indiana insanity defense, where the defendant can be found guilty and mentally ill which causes the defendant to be begin their incarceration in a psychiatric facility.
Then when they deemed stabilized enough to leave the psych facility they go to prison to begin their sentence.

Placing a body in the closet and hiding bloody couch cushions but then stating the victim left is indication of concealing and covering up a murder. I don’t see this case involving insanity however I suppose a self-defence scenario might be a possible defence for a couple of reasons - the victim was in TJs premises plus his prior criminal record, possible illegal drug use. It wouldn’t surprise me if a plea deal is in the works. The premeditation part over jealousy seems unlikely for me given TJ told the two girls in advance RM would be at his place that morning.

A lot of unanswered questions though - what was TJ’s stated reason for ousting the two girls out of the house by 7pm? Did SR know RM wasn’t coming straight home from work as she expected he would and if not, was he generally unreliable? Then RMs cellphone, nothing mentioned about that and was it found on his body or in his vehicle and what’s the timeline between him responding to calls or using his phone and TJ driving the vehicle to his home? How long was TJ away from his house and where did he go after he was sighted by SR? With the assistance of any CCTV, LE must be able to establish a solid timeline but what that might be, we don’t know.

Then really fetched —- but what if TJ drove RMs vehicle back to his garage as RM’s restricted drivers licence had been revoked, others were also in TJs apartment during that time and TJ became the fall guy with all fingers pointed at him? The main reason I do wonder this is because RM was facing possible six months jail time within only a few days. He may’ve been considering offering incriminating info to LE regarding gang activity in exchange for his freedom. If TJ was aware of RM’s intentions, now facing a murder charge for killing his coworker would silence him too. I can’t help feeling the timing of RM’s upcoming hearing on May 28th in some way was key to his untimely and tragic death. JMO

Placing a body in the closet and hiding bloody couch cushions but then stating the victim left is indication of concealing and covering up a murder. I don’t see this case involving insanity however I suppose a self-defence scenario might be a possible defence for a couple of reasons - the victim was in TJs premises plus his prior criminal record, possible illegal drug use. It wouldn’t surprise me if a plea deal is in the works. The premeditation part over jealousy seems unlikely for me given TJ told the two girls in advance RM would be at his place that morning.

A lot of unanswered questions though - what was TJ’s stated reason for ousting the two girls out of the house by 7pm. Did SR know RM wasn’t coming straight home from work as she expected he would and if not, was he generally unreliable? Then RMs cellphone, nothing mentioned about that and was it found on his body or in his vehicle and what’s the timeline between him responding to calls and TJ driving the vehicle to his home? How long was TJ away from his house and where did he go after he was sighted by SR? With the assistance of any CCTV, LE must be able to establish a timeline.

Really fetched I know but what if TJ drove RMs vehicle back to his garage as RM’s restricted drivers licence had been revoked, others were also in TJs apartment during that time and TJ became the fall guy with all fingers pointed at him? The main reason I wonder this is because RM was facing possible six months jail time within only a few days and so he may’ve been considering offering incriminating info to LE regarding gang activity in exchange for his freedom. If TJ was aware of RM’s intentions, now facing a murder charge for killing his coworker would silence him too. JMO

I consider a version of your last paragraph but not exactly as you are thinking of it. I think there may have been a "snitch" or "informant" situation possibly and it also could have involved the former gf and RM even, hence his "protecting" her. Could he have willingly went into the apartment hoping to get more information? Could TJ have been onto or suspected RM and/or his ex were informing--I mean he did head for her next...? Not just on gang activity but on who knows what? There also could have been more involved or more aware but I don't see why TJ would take RM's car home and RM remain if TJ did not know what was going on, that part of your thought, I can't quite see but otherwise, I have had very similar thoughts.

Just speculation and jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back