Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he did it, I hope they throw the book at him. He's a monster. Is there any word on whether it will be televised?
I haven’t heard about televised access to the trial yet, but there aren’t too many plausable reasons one could lead LE to a body in the middle of mid-August’s soaring corn- unless he put her there himself. I’ve zero doubt he killed her.

His rights were read in spanish...no more excuses.

Blood in the trunk, so did he really dump her body right away, or did he take her, and then take her back to the site another time?

JUN 18, 2019
Mollie Tibbetts murder suspect wants more time before judge decides whether police violated his rights in interview
The man accused of killing University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts has asked to delay a hearing during which a judge will decide whether his constitutional rights against self-incrimination were violated.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 25, has asked that a June 25 hearing reviewing his motion to suppress evidence be delayed to give his lawyers more time to prepare, according to court document filed Tuesday morning.

Attorneys for the state did not oppose Bahena Rivera's request, but asked that he waive his right to a speedy trial, as Bahena Rivera said he already intended to, according to court records. His deadline to waive a speedy trial is Sept. 18.

Bahena Rivera's attorneys are requesting the delay in order to allow more time to review evidence and consult with an expert witness. They specifically asked for time to review the not yet disclosed results of a May search warrant of Bahena Rivera's Google account and location information from July 18 and July 23 of 2018.

Judge Joel Yates had not ruled on the request for an extension as of 11 a.m. Tuesday.

[...]

His rights were read in spanish...no more excuses.

Blood in the trunk, so did he really dump her body right away, or did he take her, and then take her back to the site another time?
As I recall, he “noticed” her head was bleeding after his “blackout”. He was reminded of the fact that there was a dying/ bleeding/ dead young woman in his trunk when he looked down & saw an earbud in his lap that was not his. So... I think he pretty much hit on her, then attacked her, stuffed her in the trunk & dumped her in the corn. MOO. We’ll see what gaps are filled in at trial.

JUN 18, 2019
Mollie Tibbetts murder suspect wants more time before judge decides whether police violated his rights in interview
The man accused of killing University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts has asked to delay a hearing during which a judge will decide whether his constitutional rights against self-incrimination were violated.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 25, has asked that a June 25 hearing reviewing his motion to suppress evidence be delayed to give his lawyers more time to prepare, according to court document filed Tuesday morning.

Attorneys for the state did not oppose Bahena Rivera's request, but asked that he waive his right to a speedy trial, as Bahena Rivera said he already intended to, according to court records. His deadline to waive a speedy trial is Sept. 18.

Bahena Rivera's attorneys are requesting the delay in order to allow more time to review evidence and consult with an expert witness. They specifically asked for time to review the not yet disclosed results of a May search warrant of Bahena Rivera's Google account and location information from July 18 and July 23 of 2018.

Judge Joel Yates had not ruled on the request for an extension as of 11 a.m. Tuesday.

[...]
So, in a nutshell, defense says:
  • Miranda rights read too late in interview
  • Translator didn’t translate with linguistic accuracy
  • Defendent’s low educational level makes legal process unjust
Eyeroll. Here we go. This is gonna be a looooong, draaaaawwwwn out thing.
Anyone recall another trial where linguistic accuracy was in question? Or led to a confession to be supressed? Are all translators in rural Iowa expected to be certified- or court approved these days?

Anyone recall another trial where linguistic accuracy was in question? Or led to a confession to be supressed? Are all translators in rural Iowa expected to be certified- or court approved these days?

What ever happened to honesty and ethics? The accused did, in fact, kill Mollie. Our criminal justice system has gone into a spiral, twisting the constitution and rights of criminals into a byzantine interpretation of the law.

1. Did he do it?
2. Confess, and go to prison

This one really bothers the heck out of me:

• "Defendent’s low educational level makes legal process unjust"

So what does that mean? The fact that he didn't pursue an education and he illegally entered another country, where he didn't understand the language or the legal rights, that somehow now means what exactly? Are they implying he shouldn't be held responsible and accountable for this poor child's brutal death, because he made poor life choices for the past decade?

So what does that mean? The fact that he didn't pursue an education and he illegally entered another country, where he didn't understand the language or the legal rights, that somehow now means what exactly? Are they implying he shouldn't be held responsible and accountable for this poor child's brutal death, because he made poor life choices for the past decade?
He was able to have a relationship and a child, hold down a job, drive, take super suave selfies for Facebook...

They should pipe in the Spanish audio version "Of Mice and Men" into his cell. He's no Lennie and even Lennie was held accountable.

Typical defense stall/deflect tactics. I have no doubt that when the jury hears the evidence in totality, including his interviews, they will be able to find him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt:
1) His vehicle is seen cruising around Mollie while she was jogging
2) He admits to a confrontation with her
3) He comes to after his 'block out' with her earbuds in his lap
4) Her blood is in her trunk
5) He leads LE to her body in a remote cornfield

It's a shame that the prosecution now has to deal with all of his 'rights', what about Mollie's rights?

Still no ruling...

JUN 19, 2019
Man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts wants to delay upcoming hearing and trial
A lawyer for Cristhian Bahena Rivera, accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts last July, is asking a judge to delay a hearing next week and possibly the trial because more time is needed to prepare.

Jennifer Freese, in a motion filed Monday, said additional time is needed to consult an expert witness and review new evidence. There was search warrant obtained May 9 to review Rivera’s internet accounts and “any location information” he may have searched between July 18 and 23, 2018. The results of that warrant haven’t been received by the defense at this time, she said.

Freese said “due to the complex nature” of the case a continuance is requested. Rivera will waive his one year speedy trial right, she added.

Poweshiek County Attorney Bart Klaver, in a response, said he had no problem with the delay as long as Rivera waives his one year speedy trial right as soon as possible. He also requested that the court follow up ask Rivera, in person, to confirm the written waiver.

[...]

A judge hasn’t ruled on the continuance for the hearing or trial.

Suspect in Mollie Tibbetts’ Murder Seeks Delay to Prepare for Evidence Hearing
[...]

Lawyers for Cristhian Bahena Rivera want a judge to dismiss evidence found during a search of his car because he claims police did not read him his Miranda rights. Police say they found Mollie’s blood during that search.

[...]

Rivera’s lawyers also say they’re waiting for evidence to be turned over to them obtained by police in May after they received a search warrant for Rivera’s Google account and any location information for July of 2018.

A judge has yet to rule on this latest filing.

JUN 20, 2019
Delay likely in Mollie Tibbetts murder case
[...]

The trial of Cristhian Bahena Rivera is currently scheduled to begin in early September.

But this week his attorney's asked the court to delay both the trial and a hearing scheduled for next week.

The judge in the case hasn't ruled on the requests but prosecutors aren't objecting.

[...]

JUN 20, 2019
Delay likely in Mollie Tibbetts murder case
[...]

The trial of Cristhian Bahena Rivera is currently scheduled to begin in early September.

But this week his attorney's asked the court to delay both the trial and a hearing scheduled for next week.

The judge in the case hasn't ruled on the requests but prosecutors aren't objecting.

[...]
As much as I hate to see the delays, I agree with the Prosecution not objecting. They only get one shot at convicting CR and I'm sure they are dotting every 'i' and crossing every 't'. I can be patient if that means no errors, possible appellate issues, etc. Justice is coming to Mollie.

Thanks for the update. :)
  • August 23 - Suppression hearing; judge will determine what can and cannot be permitted at trial.
  • November 12 - Trial.
Your welcome. And I bet you anything the trial won't start in November either. I wish he would plead guilty like the man did with the golfer from Ames, Ia. Sorry I can't remember their names right now. CR's lawyers are going to do everything to delay this trial and try to get him out of the confession he made. I'm 100% convinced that LE did everything right when they interviewed him. I'll admit I haven't been following very much lately, but still read major updates and will follow the trial. This makes me all so angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member