ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM; This is something that I never thought of--who did finally do what should have been done and who called 911 finally and why?

I agree with you and get exactly what you mean. And very well said by the way and every bit of what you said is true.

It can now be sugar coated any way they want to, whatever. Whether unconcern, lack of training, you name it, whether criminal or just negligent or accidental and unintentional, this child was seen (if true) early on outside and could have been saved with a responsible staff and quick reaction.

The home has been found to not have followed protocol, training of employees, etc. but we all know that is probably just the part that can be shown to be true, and just the part of the findings that was shared with the public, when this disappearance did not just go away and fade from the news that it never really hit too much... Forgive me but sometimes we have to stand up and say what seems to be the case and not be shaking in our boots if we dare call something out or dare say what we think.

That call to the area residents did not go out until after I believe they quickly started calling it a recovery mission and then the area call goes out a day or so later.

It is not only who called 911 finally and did the right thing but who after Colson said 911 was called immediately came out and showed 911 was definitely not called immediately as he said? Kudos to both of those people, we would never have known but for someone calling these things out perhaps. Of course 911 from the facility could just have been at the point they realized oh my it has been some time and we had better belatedly call...

I will never ever forget this child I did not know. Maybe I could not have handled her, maybe none of us could have, hard to day, she may have been a challenge, but the facility she was in is there for that purpose. They are paid for that purpose. They are a private non-profit for that purpose. To help these children with the training to do so and the knowledge of how to do so, is that correct? Or not? Is that their purpose or not? Seriously, is it?

I never knew ya girl but you are in my heart Serenity and you will remain there.

Jmo.

Yes, the facility was there for that purpose, but in a lot of places the staff are average people who are underpaid. I know someone who worked in a couple of similar facilities while they were in high school. High school! A child themself! It’s not like it’s all fancy schmancy psychiatrists, drill sergeants, etc.

Yes, the facility was there for that purpose, but in a lot of places the staff are average people who are underpaid. I know someone who worked in a couple of similar facilities while they were in high school. High school! A child themself! It’s not like it’s all fancy schmancy psychiatrists, drill sergeants, etc.

Yep, I would add nursing homes to that list in many areas. When $$ are all top heavy and employees are underpaid and undertrained, well I guess one has a recipe for both burn out and a high turnover rate--even when some employees may care. One won't get any argument from me on this. High school, yep, nursing homes too. Again, that may vary depending on state...

ETA: And on this subject, I would like to know who was in authority that day, not a name (not looking to out an individual) but the position, training and length of time. Who called the shots and made the decisions? Who was in the senior or supervisory position that day? Clearly if anyone was in charge they knew nothing about protocol, taking the lead, training, radio frequencies, etc.

Jmo and it is backed up by the findings.

Last edited:
I also believe in my heart, that if anyone at that facility was responsible or negligent in any way, they would have been arrested by now. Please don't tell me that LE has not checked out all of the workers that were on the time clock that day- of course they did. LE isn't stupid.

I'm still amazed this child has not been found. I know there are challenges, but really, unless she was snatched off the street, how far could she have gotten?

I'm not saying people aren't trying, I'm...just amazed and sad.

I agree, I'm amazed as well. However, don't underestimate how far she could have gone. Here's my thoughts...

On the minus side, she was not dressed for the weather, and the temperatures were in the 20s (per MSM) and dropping. On the plus side, she was young and active, and very determined. I am guessing if she was that determined to find her way home (as one report stated at the outset), then her stamina, her physical condition, and her adrenaline would well have sustained her for a longer distance that people realize. Then, once the cold really set in, she may have wandered a little further in a semi-delirious state. I am often surprised by just how far a person can get in a fairly short period of time given the right circumstances and the right determination. (Even the Carrico girls managed to get 6 miles from home, and they retraced their tracks at one point and passed right by home without realizing it, before getting that far.)

The one thing that mitigates against this is that the people who saw her on the road from the parking lot drove up and down the road looking for her, and didn't spot her. If her determination and instinct was geared toward finding her way home, I would have thought that she would have stayed on the main road, since she was seen walking north on the road, and she knew that was the direction to head to go home. But if that were the case, I think she would have been found pretty quickly. That seems to suggest that she left the road. If her instinct was to "run and hide", then I would have thought her hiding spot would have been fairly close - within half a mile - and again, I think she would have been found by now. It was also suggested that she had favorite spots she liked to go to when the Home organized a hike, and that she may have been heading there. That would have taken her off the main road. But I don't see that as enough of a driving force to compel her to keep going when she realized how cold it was. If she was simply trying to distance herself from the Home, she may have gotten pretty far. But if I remember correctly, the people who spotted her outside said she was "walking", not running. Walking is good for conserving energy but not so good for creating as much distance as possible as quickly as possible.

All in all, it is really confusing. I still think that she is fairly close, but has somehow gotten in a place (in a log or in a hole or in someplace like where the creek runs under the road just north of the Home) that is not obvious and has gone as of yet unnoticed. That is where the cadaver dogs should help, but we all know that is not foolproof. (If she was in the creek under the road, would the dogs catch her scent?)

And I still think, given the weather conditions of the day, the fact that it was early on Sunday, and the secluded area, that the possibility of her having been picked up is pretty remote. (But not impossible, and I'm been wrong before. Seems like every case I follow goes in a direction that surprises me at some point.)

t4594.gif
#FindSerenity
t4594.gif

t45109.gif
t45109.gif
t45109.gif

No, that is where the people down in the parking lot saw her. She was by the grate on the main road heading north. (The driveway that leads down to the parking lot has a grate on it.) That was the last time she was seen.
I'm beginning to wonder- did they even see Serenity at all?

I keep thinking about this. The person allegedly was returning a child while another sat in the car. The person in the car said they saw a child out there, yet, none of the workers were there to look? So she just disappeared in plain sight? Allegedly, they tried to follow where she went, but she was gone, that fast?

No, that is where the people down in the parking lot saw her. She was by the grate on the main road heading north. (The driveway that leads down to the parking lot has a grate on it.) That was the last time she was seen.

Thanks.
I had thought the person saw her when she was up on top of a fence gate but I do remember seeing a cattle grate on a diagram/drawing of the grounds previously posted. I also seem to remember that the parking lot was a good distance away from the entrance to the building.
Maybe if someone could repost the diagram, it would refresh some memories?

I keep thinking about this. The person allegedly was returning a child while another sat in the car. The person in the car said they saw a child out there, yet, none of the workers were there to look? So she just disappeared in plain sight? Allegedly, they tried to follow where she went, but she was gone, that fast?

Everything that happened wasn't instantaneous. Apparently, the person(1) bringing the child was still inside the building when Serenity was seen by the person(2) in the car. It wasn't until that person(1) walked back to the car and heard from the person(2) still in the car that she had seen a child outside. By this time Serenity must have gone because person(1) did not mention seeing her but instead went back to the building to report the sighting. Then person(1) had to walk back to the car. It was after this that the two people drove off in the car to try and find Serenity.

Everything that happened wasn't instantaneous. Apparently, the person(1) bringing the child was still inside the building when Serenity was seen by the person(2) in the car. It wasn't until that person(1) walked back to the car and heard from the person(2) still in the car that she had seen a child outside. By this time Serenity must have gone because person(1) did not mention seeing her but instead went back to the building to report the sighting. Then person(1) had to walk back to the car. It was after this that the two people drove off in the car to try and find Serenity.
Yes, that sums it up pretty well, based on what has been reported. The second person, the one that actually saw Serenity, didn't go inside with the first person, but stayed in the car. The first person didn't actually see Serenity.
As for how fast she disappeared, the parking lot is down the hill a bit from the road, and there are trees around the parking lot and the road, so it would have been harder to keep a direct line of sight. The person that saw her only mentioned that she was up by the grate, walking north along the main road, I believe. No mention is ever made of when they actually lost sight of her.

Agree completely. And the time frame could have been quite stretched out as compared to everyone's comments about how fast we wish 911 had been called.

For example, if the visitors were returning a child from a home visit as has been speculated, the adult that went in with the returning child would have entered at the main reception desk since other doors are locked to the outside, presumably signed in, perhaps walked with the child to his/her room and maybe even sat with the child a while. It could easily have been, say, half an hour or even more before that adult returned to the car and heard about the waiting second adult having seen a child outside.

During that time the facility may have been searching for Serenity indoors, not thinking it was time to call for help yet because if she was indoors the risk of harm was much less. IMO

I keep thinking about this. The person allegedly was returning a child while another sat in the car. The person in the car said they saw a child out there, yet, none of the workers were there to look?
RSBM for focus

That’s the part I have the hardest time understanding:

“10:45 a.m.: Serenity June Dennard, 9, runs out of gym at Black Hills Children's Home. Two staffers and four children were in the gym. One child ‘created a disturbance’ and occupied one of the staffers. When Serenity ran off, the other staffer was occupied with the two other children.”

11:00 a.m.: Serenity is seen on South Rockerville Road walking north-bound.
Reported timelines on Serenity Dennard's disappearance are confusing

So why didn’t they call 911 at that point? Why not at least call dispatch and request a deputy drive around the perimeter of the facility, focusing on the location where she was last seen and then go from there (i.e., what the Sheriff thinks should be the next step).

If Serenity had been found in the meantime, all staff would have had to do was to let the Sheriff’s Office know, and thank them for their assistance, IMO.

Instead, according to the executive director of the Children's Home Society, which runs the Home:

“‘We have been reviewing the events of Sunday and have confirmed that the 911 call was placed at 12:26,’ and ‘When Serenity left staff sight on Sunday, we immediately conducted a thorough search of our grounds and buildings. When we were unable to find Serenity we called law enforcement.’”
Children's Home staff called 911 later than initially reported

So why continue to search the facility “grounds and buildings” for another 1.5 hours after she had been seen walking away?

Once the 911 call was made, it took the Sheriff’s Office less than an hour to mobilize the county SAR teams (authorized by Lt. Sheriff Kraig Wood at 1:16 p.m.).

By late afternoon, there were 35 people participating. And by the time the search was called off at 10:30 p.m., they had also brought in at least three dogs.

As to weather conditions: At midday, a freezing drizzle and light sleet mixed with light snow and the temperature was about 15 degrees. By late afternoon, temperatures fell to around 5, with some light snow. [Source: the “Reported timelines on ...” article linked above]

I don’t know if things would have turned out any differently if staff had asked for outside assistance as soon as they were told there was a child outside. But if they had, there would likely have been a deputy there by 11:20 to 11:25 a.m. Instead, the first deputy didn’t arrive until 12:46 p.m. The gap is significant, especially when the weather is taken into consideration, IMO.

I can’t say for “sure-sure” because I wasn’t there, but if I had been, working in whatever capacity (e.g., janitor, receptionist, therapist), or visiting a resident, and heard about a child running away and then being sighted outside, I’m pretty darn sure I would call 911 right away.

All MOO

I think this whole thing is weird and off.

Super strange to me she hasn't been found. I wonder if that is because she is buried? Cadaver dogs get a scent, but now with good weather still no sign of her.
I suppose the ground was too hard in the winter, but I still wonder if someone took their opportunity of seeing a girl alone in a remote area, did something horrible quickly (in a deserted driveway? side road?) and then did a quick bury job in the woods.

I am sure that's not it with the frozen ground, but something is suspicious!

Mostly because she was seen walking on the road. Not zig zagging wildly through the woods or tearing down a hill like she wanted to get out of sight and away from that place no matter what. More like she was going to hitchhike or meet somebody or just wanted a break. I just bet someone took her off the road. Like the Texas case with Salem.

Who made that decision not to call 911? Would be interesting to know what staff member was the one to deter calling LE because I bet someone suggested it way before they finally did.

JUN 21, 2019
UWHR’s ‘Day of Action’ touches lives of youngsters
[...]

“We will do what no other organization does,” he said. “We allow young people to participate in a real world mission.”

After 9-year-old Serenity Dennard was reported missing from the Black Hills Children’s Home in early February, CAP cadets from Miller were among a search team. Cadets walked the hills along with adults. Unfortunately, the young girl has still not been found.

“It’s real life in a way that no other organization gives them an opportunity to do,” Rezac said.

[...]

I think this whole thing is weird and off.

Super strange to me she hasn't been found. I wonder if that is because she is buried? Cadaver dogs get a scent, but now with good weather still no sign of her.
I suppose the ground was too hard in the winter, but I still wonder if someone took their opportunity of seeing a girl alone in a remote area, did something horrible quickly (in a deserted driveway? side road?) and then did a quick bury job in the woods.

I am sure that's not it with the frozen ground, but something is suspicious!

Mostly because she was seen walking on the road. Not zig zagging wildly through the woods or tearing down a hill like she wanted to get out of sight and away from that place no matter what. More like she was going to hitchhike or meet somebody or just wanted a break. I just bet someone took her off the road. Like the Texas case with Salem.

Who made that decision not to call 911? Would be interesting to know what staff member was the one to deter calling LE because I bet someone suggested it way before they finally did.

There is no way unless someone had a pick ax that they could bury her in the frozen ground. It is hard enough to dig in ground with roots and rocks in the summer.

For a while, there were at least 4 people unrelated to the home that allegedly saw Serenity walking away and/or not on the school grounds. It was determined later that the couple chopping wood saw an employee of the home, and not Serenity.

Whether or not Serenity was actually sighted leaving the grounds, I'm more inclined to believe that she got in a vehicle with someone within minutes of leaving the home.

If true that Serenity was driven away by a stranger, and met with foul play, that person must be feeling confident that Serenity will never be located as search remains focused near the home.

I'm hopeful the person responsible will let down their guard, and speak about the incident to a person intent on listening carefully. She was only 9 years old -- please let her be found!

It's been nearly 5 months.....:eek:

MOO

UPDATE: Investigators speak to couple who saw missing 9-year-old

New details emerge in search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1

For a while, there were at least 4 people unrelated to the home that allegedly saw Serenity walking away and/or not on the school grounds. It was determined later that the couple chopping wood saw an employee of the home, and not Serenity.

Whether or not Serenity was actually sighted leaving the grounds, I'm more inclined to believe that she got in a vehicle with someone within minutes of leaving the home.

If true that Serenity was driven away by a stranger, and met with foul play, that person must be feeling confident that Serenity will never be located as search remains focused near the home.

I'm hopeful the person responsible will let down their guard, and speak about the incident to a person intent on listening carefully. She was only 9 years old -- please let her be found!

It's been nearly 5 months.....:eek:

MOO

UPDATE: Investigators speak to couple who saw missing 9-year-old

New details emerge in search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1
Unfortunately, this is what I think might have happened. Seeing that there is no trace of her, not even one of her boots, nothing- I think someone did pick her up.

She should have been found by now. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie