Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://thewest.com.au/news/social/lost-theos-mum-expected-in-byron-bay-ng-s-1951597

They want to stay here until Theo is found," Mr Tsesmetzis said.

The normally "happy-go-lucky" town has been consumed with a desire to help the heartbroken family, he said, but it's impossible to ignore a growing disquiet as weeks pass with no sign of the backpacker.

"People don't want to be in a community where someone could have inadvertently done something terrible to Theo," Mr Tsesmetzis said.

https://thewest.com.au/news/social/lost-theos-mum-expected-in-byron-bay-ng-s-1951597

They want to stay here until Theo is found," Mr Tsesmetzis said.

The normally "happy-go-lucky" town has been consumed with a desire to help the heartbroken family, he said, but it's impossible to ignore a growing disquiet as weeks pass with no sign of the backpacker.

"People don't want to be in a community where someone could have inadvertently done something terrible to Theo," Mr Tsesmetzis said.
They are not just looking for his clothes and belongings in the bush...

From the link above
"We need people to check their gardens, under every leaf, to find his clothing or that phone," Christos Tsesmetzis told AAP on Monday.

:eek: gardens?

Like, tossed into someone's front garden?

They are definitely thinking of foul play in such a scenario IMO. But getting rid of his phone is one thing, getting rid of his shoes? Why would the perp need to rip everything off him? Putting it bluntly - one could be fed to the sharks with shoes on :confused:

JMOO

I did read something last night that they were communicating with google also, hopefully it was for tracking purposes!
Google should know so much about Theo's (phone) movements. They would even know what apps he had installed on his phone, via Playstore, and which of those apps were capable of location tracking. So there could be a few more sources of information, and not just Facebook. In case FB isn't going to help.

But is Google helping?

Did they search that bush area behind the hostel? Is it possible he walked too far along shirley st, missed the turn off and decided to cut across the bushland? Could've got jumped and had his phone stolen. Would explain why his phone is in a different location and why he isn't seen heading towards the lighthouse.

From the link above
"We need people to check their gardens, under every leaf, to find his clothing or that phone," Christos Tsesmetzis told AAP on Monday.

They are definitely thinking of foul play in such a scenario IMO. But getting rid of his phone is one thing, getting rid of his shoes? Why would the perp need to rip everything off him? Putting it bluntly - one could be fed to the sharks with shoes on :confused:

JMOO

From the link above

JMOO

Sexual?

Google should know so much about Theo's (phone) movements. They would even know what apps he had installed on his phone, via Playstore, and which of those apps were capable of location tracking. So there could be a few more sources of information, and not just Facebook. In case FB isn't going to help.

But is Google helping?

I just wonder how quickly Google will help and if they will require a court order to do so? I totally understand how important it is for companies like Google and Apple to keep users data private but I would want them to provide information if I went missing or my photos if I had died.

Another Facebook post couple hours ago on the Finding Theo group, again, asking to keep an eye out for Theo’s clothing watch, phone, shoes etc.... but not Theo.

In your experience here what do you feel this means? I said earlier things like the hat and the phone easily dropped and lost but pants, hoodie, watch, shoes had to be removed to be found in the bush or wherever they may be. (If anywhere) is this a general missing persons normal request or would you assume that they have some knowledge or information that has not been released that they know his clothing etc has been discarded. All IMOO.

The below from Facebook post today

*Good reminder.. look out for Theo's Purple/Black Oppo phone, Puma hat, and black hoodie,Black watch,Black shoes,Brown pants ..Also very important is anyone with CCTV footage Or vehicle driving footage between May 31st - June 1st..If you no someone who lives in the area or who was in Byron bay at those dates and times get them to check any footage they may have ASAP as it maybe the biggest help yet and pass it on to police.

I think it means that after looking for Theo unsuccessfully for 3 weeks they are now focussing on other possible scenarios ....

RSBM
Another Facebook post couple hours ago on the Finding Theo group, again, asking to keep an eye out for Theo’s clothing watch, phone, shoes etc.... but not Theo.

In your experience here what do you feel this means?

I am hoping that this is like other missing person cases - and I think that it might be, due to the involvement of the Homicide squad - where they have been conducting searches, but the police have also, simultaneously, been investigating the case behind the scene for the possibility/probability of foul play being involved. Depending on what evidence or clues they have obtained along the way, or what their experienced instinct is telling them.

We know that in the William Tyrrell case this is what was happening. The same in the Karen Ristevski case, and others.

Det Insp Kehoe said ...... "We have to make sure that we cover every possible scenario and that's exactly what we're doing."
Police divers to join search for Theo

Last edited:
I just wonder how quickly Google will help and if they will require a court order to do so? I totally understand how important it is for companies like Google and Apple to keep users data private but I would want them to provide information if I went missing or my photos if I had died.

Yes, Google require a warrant - but then they will assist. There is an article here which speaks of that. I am not sure if there must be a definite crime involved to obtain such a warrant though. Or if this type of warrant can be obtained for a police 'fishing expedition'.
It may depend on the level of indicators that the police have that a serious crime has been committed.

When a crime occurs in an area, police are increasingly requesting a warrant for Google to “provide information on all devices it recorded near the killing, potentially capturing the whereabouts of anyone in the area.”
This year, one Google employee said, the company received as many as 180 requests in one week. Google declined to confirm precise numbers.
Google & Android Location History explained: Police usage - 9to5Google

Last edited:
Yes, Google require a warrant - but then they will assist. There is an article here which speaks of that. I am not sure if there must be a definite crime involved to obtain such a warrant though. Or if this type of warrant can be obtained for a police 'fishing expedition'.

When a crime occurs in an area, police are increasingly requesting a warrant for Google to “provide information on all devices it recorded near the killing, potentially capturing the whereabouts of anyone in the area.”
This year, one Google employee said, the company received as many as 180 requests in one week. Google declined to confirm precise numbers.
Google & Android Location History explained: Police usage - 9to5Google

From the link above

JMOO

I totally agree. I did have a bit of an on the side comment from someone I cannot name here, that clarify what you have said above (suspected foul play)
The level of posts seem to be more about his belongings not Theo. It is just like William T all over again.

Cheeky Monkey's manager Colm Brennan said Theo had been at the tourist bar for just a few hours and only had two drinks before he was asked to leave.

"He sat down, he chatted, he had a dance and that was it," Mr Brennan told AAP on Tuesday.

"He left okay, he just walked down the street."

Mr Brennan, himself a former backpacker, said Theo's disappearance from the holiday hotspot was "very sad".

"He was just starting out - just 18 - and he's vanished."

Locals had hoped the bar's regular photographer may have snapped the young man in the crowd but the photographer did not work that night.

volunteers distributed pamphlets, posters and letters around Byron Bay on Tuesday.

The volunteers also asks the local community for any CCTV footage which may include Theo.

Searches were suspended over the weekend amid heavy rains and have yet to resume.

Theo's mother, who arrived in Australia in the last few days, was expected to meet with volunteer search coordinators in Byron Bay on Tuesday.

Cheeky Monkey's manager Colm Brennan said Theo had been at the tourist bar for just a few hours and only had two drinks before he was asked to leave.

"He sat down, he chatted, he had a dance and that was it," Mr Brennan told AAP on Tuesday.

"He left okay, he just walked down the street."

Mr Brennan, himself a former backpacker, said Theo's disappearance from the holiday hotspot was "very sad".

"He was just starting out - just 18 - and he's vanished."

Locals had hoped the bar's regular photographer may have snapped the young man in the crowd but the photographer did not work that night.

volunteers distributed pamphlets, posters and letters around Byron Bay on Tuesday.

The volunteers also asks the local community for any CCTV footage which may include Theo.

Searches were suspended over the weekend amid heavy rains and have yet to resume.

Theo's mother, who arrived in Australia in the last few days, was expected to meet with volunteer search coordinators in Byron Bay on Tuesday.

?!

But the way the manager is talking is as if he was causing no harm?? Had a dance, that was it? You would have thought he’d elaborate and say oh but he was slurring his words etc, otherwise I have no idea why he’d be thrown out.

He was there a few hours, are there indications he was using anything else, do people get on at the CM? Was he tripping or smoking besides drinking, Why was he asked to leave? hmm. Manager talking about him in past tense...?

I thought this too BUT he may have had drinks before he got there, which is pretty common for young people, so although he only had two there he may have been drunk enough when he arrived?

We know they bought a bottle of wine earlier that evening, and they asked the bottle shop worker where they could find it. He pointed them to the location and watched as they went to that location.

Perhaps it was some kind of fortified wine. I had some fortified wine recently that we bought at a local winery. Kapow! That stuff is strong.

But the way the manager is talking is as if he was causing no harm?? Had a dance, that was it? You would have thought he’d elaborate and say oh but he was slurring his words etc, otherwise I have no idea why he’d be thrown out.

Perhaps the manager does not want to speak ill of someone who is missing and could be deceased?

Theo's dance might not have been a good dance ... he may have been disturbing the other dancers in a not good way.

As well, I don't think the establishment would want to say if Theo had more than a couple of drinks there. They have a public liability to watch out for.

Perhaps the manager does not want to speak ill of someone who is missing and could be deceased?

Theo's dance might not have been a good dance ... he may have been disturbing the other dancers in a not good way.

As well, I don't think the establishment would want to say if Theo had more than a couple of drinks there. They have a public liability to watch out for.

What I meant was I wish he would have given more detail as for why he was told to leave.

I can understand the manager doing that. I just wondered if Theo might have accidentally bumped into someone and there was a disagreement or something like that. I feel so sorry for Theo’s family it must be a terrible emotional and also a financial strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong