WI WI - Nicholas Hietpas, 22, & dog, vehicle found abandoned in Oconto Co., Appleton, 1 Apr 2019

If someone wanted to harm Samantha I don't believe they would have taken the time to remove the collar. This shows that the person had some consideration for the dog. Maybe Nicholas was victim of foul play not the dog. I have not seen any information if Nicholas had a cell phone and if so did he have it with him on the day he went missing. Ping data and phone records would be valuable in the investigation.

Last edited:
No updates that I have found after May 1. Praying for Nicholas and family . Hopefully we will get new info, hoping he and his buddy Samantha are safe and just taking a break ! Just too quiet, .not a good vibe Please keep them in your prayers

If someone wanted to harm Samantha I don't believe they would have taken the time to remove the collar. This shows that the person had some consideration for the dog. Maybe Nicholas was victim of foul play not the dog. I have not seen any information if Nicholas had a cell phone and if so did he have it with him on the day he went missing. Ping data and phone records would be valuable in the investigation.
The dog collar was probably a pop apart design to save the dogs life in the event they get snagged on something. Too many dogs were dying from choking and hanging so the new nylon collars will pop apart with enough force.

Michael Neiger is the Lead Investigator at Michigan Backcountry Search & Rescue www.mibsar.com. He has posted an update June 12, 2019 on Facebook.

NICHOLAS HIETPAS MISSING-PERSON CASE UPDATE (Mountain, Wisconsin): Team MibSAR recently completed a 5-day wilderness search for Nicholas Hietpas of Appleton, Wisconsin in the 1.5-million-acre Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. Nicholas was last heard from on April 1, 2019. An ATV rider found his black, 2012 Ford Fusion along a forest road near the junction of Highway 64 and Shadow Lake Road, west of Mountain, Wisconsin, in Oconto County. A tarp and gear were found near the vehicle, and his dog’s unclasped collar was found a half mile away. Investigators describe Nicholas as follows: age 22; white male; may be wearing a black sweatshirt with green lettering, blue jeans, and brown work boots. He may be with Samantha, his white German Shepard. If you know anything about Nicholas' disappearance, or his current whereabouts, report it to the Oconto County Sheriff’s Office at 920.834.6900 or anonymously via Crime Stoppers at TipSubmit.com.

>> Green Bay Press Gazette (Green Bay, Wisconsin) coverage of Nicholas' case:
• April 24, 2019 Information sought on missing Appleton man; car found in Oconto County
• April 25, 2019 Three searches conducted in northern Oconto County for missing Appleton man Nicholas Hietpas
• May 2, 2019 Sheriff: Visitors to Oconto Co. this weekend could help find missing Appleton man

>> www.MibSAR.com • Read Team MibSAR's international 'Special Operations Blog' for SAR operators at SAR Special Operations Blog • #TeamMibSAR • #PayItForward

Michael Neiger

I am shocked I haven't heard about this case until now. Nicholas is a relative of one of my childhood friends, and she and I are currently connected on Facebook. Did a little looking to see if anyone is talking about the case, but crickets. :(

I am seriously wondering if he left voluntarily.

Are you familiar with the Shadow Lake area ? Can you give us some idea of what this area is like during summer season ? TIA

Are you familiar with the Shadow Lake area ? Can you give us some idea of what this area is like during summer season ? TIA
Unfortunately I'm not. The farthest north I've ever lived/visited is the Waupaca area. The relative I know grew up in a different, more southern part of the state.

FWIW, I do know that many, many people come to WI state parks over the summer, many who camp for extended periods of time. I spent part of my childhood living next to Hartman Creek State Park, which is somewhat similar in terms of summer traffic. Many people who are there in the summer either own or rent houses in the area, attend summer camp adjacent to the park, or stay in either an RV or tent camping area in the park if they are staying for more than a day. I know that Oconto County in general is a big spot for day trips for people in the Green Bay area as it's decently driveable.

His car was found parked of the road with a tarp and gear out on the ground just seems odd to hike into the woods with his gear out in the open like that ?!?! Seems he's a avid hiker perhaps he wasinterupted by some and they nevermade it back . ,Just a thought. So much we don't know. A friend or family member would be very welcome here for information and sharing Ideas on where to look. We all have many questions, would love to visit with Amy of you. God Bless you all ,hope you can find peace and strength ? We will continue to work with what is available I'm the mean time Thanks so much for coming here!

Reactions: Dre
I'm from Wisconsin , but the other side of the state. I wish they would get the word out about this.
Appleton, where he is from, is in Outagamie County which is notorious for not providing information on their MP cases. I think Oconto is the lead agency here but that’s another county who doesn’t really do a lot of publicity because of the lack of a major media market. We saw this last week with that case in Dale with the mother and daughter - not a lot of information released to the public.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back