GUILTY TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #9

"Sentencing for Wesley Mathews has ended for the day. Jurors will be sequestered at a hotel, and their phones will remain at the courthouse. Court will reconvene tomorrow morning. State says it has 4 more witnesses left for sentencing."
Matt Howerton on Twitter
Many thanks to you Mira_EG and JerricaBenton! I was out for the day so it was wonderful to come home to complete coverage!
[Mathews' attorney] said Mathews is remorseful and is expected to testify to provide an honest description of what transpired the night Sherin died.

"He is just heartbroken about the poor decisions he made," De La Garza said. "About the lies he gave on that day."
Father could still face life after pleading guilty to lesser charge in 3-year-old Sherin Mathews' death | Crime | Dallas News

I doubt that the jury will return a verdict less than life but IMO it should be LWOP, which is off the table. The only thing I can think of for the DA reducing the charge is a concern that it would be difficult to prove intent, which is necessary for Capital Murder. Force feeding Sherin in the freakin' middle of the night, delaying the 911 call, lying to LE, hiding Sherin's body and not telling where he put her is enough for me but I guess it's not enough for the legal system. Bah.

I can't wait for WM's testimony. Contrary to what his defense attorney says I bet he'll spin some more lies to downplay what he did. And hey, Sini! Please don't ever have another child! MOO.

Uh isn't that something they know about BEFORE?
I could do a 5 day trial as long as I could go home at night. But I couldn't be sequestered. What if some of the jurors have young children without overnight childcare? This is not how it's supposed to work!
I have done jury duty before in Dallas and this is one of the questions they ask you prior to selecting you. Also in my experience mother's with young children are passed first round. There are certain questions they ask you immediately to determine any issues that might arise.

I just read the judge told them three or four days they would be sequestered.
ETA does anyone know the makeup of the jury? I can't find it anywhere. TIA

Maria Guerrero on Twitter

Jury is made up of 4 women & 8 men. 2 female alternates. Judge has informed them they will be sequestered for this punishment phase of Wesley Mathews trial. Could take 3 or 4 more days

I have done jury duty before in Dallas and this is one of the questions they ask you prior to selecting you. Also in my experience mother's with young children are passed first round. There are certain questions they ask you immediately to determine any issues that might arise.

As long as the jury was fully aware they could be sequestered. Otherwise that's not okay.

Many thanks to you Mira_EG and JerricaBenton! I was out for the day so it was wonderful to come home to complete coverage!

Father could still face life after pleading guilty to lesser charge in 3-year-old Sherin Mathews' death | Crime | Dallas News

I doubt that the jury will return a verdict less than life but IMO it should be LWOP, which is off the table. The only thing I can think of for the DA reducing the charge is a concern that it would be difficult to prove intent, which is necessary for Capital Murder. Force feeding Sherin in the freakin' middle of the night, delaying the 911 call, lying to LE, hiding Sherin's body and not telling where he put her is enough for me but I guess it's not enough for the legal system. Bah.

I can't wait for WM's testimony. Contrary to what his defense attorney says I bet he'll spin some more lies to downplay what he did. And hey, Sini! Please don't ever have another child! MOO.
Add to that all the physical abuse she suffered at his hands her whole life with him and his nasty wife---broken bones that they caused, etc. And then dumping her tiny body in a culvert to dispose of her like trash. It doesn't get any worse than the way these idiots treated that little child.

I'm surprised they felt it would be difficult to prove intent.

Tuesday, June 25th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 8:30am CT) - TX - Sherin Saraswati Mathews (3) (Oct. 7, 2017, Richardson; found Oct. 22, 2017) - *Wesley Mon Mathews (37) - indicted (1/12/18) on four felonies, capital murder, injury to a child (1st degree Felony), abandoning a child and tampering with physical evidence; was bond at $1M, now at $2.25M & reduced on 8/1/18 to $1.25M cash or surety. DA will not seek DP.
Trial started 6/24/19. Jury selection was held week of 6/13. Jury is 4 women & 8 men. 2 female alternates.
6/20/19 Update: On Thursday (6/20) Mathews pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of Injury to a Child by Omission. He was charged with murdering his adopted daughter Sherin. The jury will decide his punishment. Opening statements Monday, 6/24 @ 1:30pm.
6/24/19 Day 1: The jury has to hear all the facts before they can deliberate on penalty. Potential jurors were told during jury selection about the guilty plea. Now faces anywhere from probation up to Life. Opening statements made. State witnesses: Speech Therapist. Therapist (who worked with Sherin on feeding). Therapist (for physical/development delays). Physical therapist. The judge just told the jurors to call a family member to bring them 4 or 5 days of clothing---they are being sequestered starting now. Christina Drury (Canine handler & Registered nurse). Richardson Officer Jeremy Savage (Answered WM police call). Played call from WM. Showed bodycam recording of search. Special agent with FBI (analyzed Wesley’s iPhone). Trial continues on 6/25.
For Sini: In a letter to the 282nd Criminal District Court, the Dallas County DA wrote that "after extensive investigation it has been determined that the state cannot prove this matter beyond a reasonable doubt at this time the state respectfully requests that this case be dismissed without prejudice." She has been released from jail.

Thank you for all the updates @JerricaBenton, much appreciated!

Posting some tweets:

20 hours ago:

Jobin Panicker‏Verified account @jobinpnews

#NOW Sini Mathews has shown up for husband's trial. Wesley Matthews is accused in the death of their adopted daughter Sherin. @wfaa

D91gWekW4AANyuS.jpg

Jobin Panicker on Twitter

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork

Day 2 in the penalty phase trial of #WesleyMathews begins at 8:30 a.m. CT. Mathews pleaded guilty to a lesser charge before his capital murder trial began. The jury will now decide his sentence for the death of his 3-yr-old adopted daughter #SherinMathews https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/wesley-mathews/watch-live-wesley-mathews-in-court-over-death-of-adopted-daughter-sherin-mathews/ …

D96HzBdU0AAlGxa.jpg

D96H1OcVAAAGRXt.jpg

Law & Crime Network on Twitter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member