GUILTY UK - Lee Pomeroy, 51, stabbed to death on train, Surrey, 4 January 2019

From Wednesday:

Surrey train murder: West Sussex property is searched

Detectives investigating the death of a man at Horsley station in Surrey have executed a warrant to search a property in Bognor Regis today (Wednesday), British Transport Police has confirmed.

A BTP spokesman said a fresh witness appeal was launched today following a 'number of extensive enquiries'.

The spokesman said the new witness appeal focuses on the Frensham Great Pond area near Farnham, between 5.45pm and 6.35pm on Friday. He added: "Further searches in the Clandon area of Surrey have also been conducted and detectives have also executed a warrant to search a property in the Bognor Regis area of West Sussex." Senior investigating officer Sam Blackburn from BTP, said 'a dedicated team of detectives' have 'worked diligently' in piecing together the events before and after the killing, since Friday afternoon. He added: “Our enquiries have led us to believe the suspects briefly stopped at Frensham Great Pond car park, on Bacon Lane after 5.30pm on Friday afternoon.

"We are therefore looking to speak with anyone who was at the site and saw a man and a woman acting in an unusual or out of character manner. They would have been travelling with a young child at this point and we understand they would have arrived and departed in a blue Vauxhall Corsa."

Maybe disposing of the weapon? Frensham Pond is a lake, big enough for a yacht club.

I wonder who lives in Bognor - a parent or grandparent of one of the suspects?

Imagine bringing your young child with you while helping your partner flee a murder.

Darren Pencille, 35, of no fixed abode, pleaded not guilty at the Old Bailey to murdering Lee Pomeroy on a Guildford to London service on 4 January.

[...]

Mr Pencille also denied a charge of possession of an offensive weapon.

Chelsea Mitchell, 27, of Willbury Road, Farnham, has denied assisting an offender by helping Mr Pencille to leave the scene and change his appearance.

A trial date has been set for 24 June.

Stabbing accused denies train murder

Opening the case, prosecutor Jacob Hallam QC said Mr Pomeroy was killed the day before his birthday.

He said the victim and his son boarded the train at London Road Station at 13:01 GMT and within five minutes, he had been stabbed by Mr Pencille.

[..]

Mr Hallam suggested they may have been "blocking" Mr Pencille's way and the defendant had said: "Ignorance is bliss."

"That prompted Lee Pomeroy to respond and ask what it was he meant. An argument began between them. It was an argument that became heated and became heated pretty quickly."

The court heard that passenger Megan Fieberg witnessed Mr Pencille insult the deceased and shout: "You touch me, you touch me and you see what happens at the next stop."

The jury heard that Mr Pomeroy responded: "You shouldn't have humiliated me in front of my kid."

The prosecutor told the court that witness Matteo Milazzo recalled Mr Pencille saying "leave me alone, you're racist" and "I'm not scared of you".

However, Mr Hallam told the jury that another passenger, Kayleigh Carter, said that she had not heard Mr Pomeroy make a racist remark.

He said: "Her impression was that both men appeared to be taunting one another."

The prosecutor told jurors Ms Carter recalled Mr Pomeroy stating that he had "never dealt with someone with special needs before," to which Mr Pencille allegedly responded: "I'm hearing voices right now."

She then saw Mr Pencille appear to make a phone call and "the words she recalled [hearing] were 'I'm going to kill this man'," Mr Hallam said.

Records showed he had called Miss Mitchell, the court heard.

Accused 'stabbed man over train aisle row'

Some live reporting here

LIVE: Dad stabbed to death on train in 'row over blocking the aisle', court told

Prosecution claim Chelsea Mitchell rushed to pick up her boyfriend Darren Pencille from Clandon. She later bought him hair clippers and razors. Her phone also made internet searches relating to a man stabbed on a train from Guildford to London.

Pencille called his mum that eve & said: “Something’s happened, I’ve done something wrong”. He called his ex partner & said he’d done something bad-she would see it on the news. He later called his mum in tears to say he loved her. He text his ex: “I’m sorry, I love you both”.

Hallam QC: “There is no dispute that the first defendant killed Lee Pomeroy. How could there be? He’s caught on CCTV doing it.” He goes on to say Pencille’s case is that he caused 18 wounds to Mr Pomeroy in lawful self-defence.

In relation to Chelsea Mitchell’s case - there is no dispute that the defendant did do things that assisted her partner. But she claims she had no idea what he had been involved in that day. First day of trial ends - continues tomorrow.

The best way to avoid "doing something wrong" is to not carry a knife in public in the first place, imo.

And not to hit someone 18 times with that knife in your hand!!

A jury has been shown footage showing the moment a father was stabbed to death on a train in a "quick and frenzied attack". CCTV footage showed Mr Pomeroy being repeatedly stabbed on a Guildford-to-London train on 4 January.

Darren Pencille denies murdering Mr Pomeroy but admits possessing a bladed article. His barrister told the court Mr Pencille did not deny stabbing him but would be arguing that he was acting in self-defence

'Frenzied' train attack CCTV shown to jury

I don’t know why, but the image I had in my head was of a crowded train, and that being the reason for the bumping into each other.
Having watched the footage, it is anything but...

I don’t know why, but the image I had in my head was of a crowded train, and that being the reason for the bumping into each other.
Having watched the footage, it is anything but...

I had the same image, but there's barely anyone else there. It does look like Lee was being intimidating and having a real go at him. Not, of course, that that excuses what Pencille did next. This was NOT self defence. If only Lee had just stayed where he was in the other carriage, or walked away. A lesson to us all.

They’re saying that the accused was a paranoid schizophrenic- you just never know when you’ll met the wrong person out there. The victim should have left it, but he certainly didnt deserve what happened. Really worrying that people like the accused are out there.

They’re saying that the accused was a paranoid schizophrenic- you just never know when you’ll met the wrong person out there. The victim should have left it, but he certainly didnt deserve what happened. Really worrying that people like the accused are out there.

Yes, he obviously had mental health issues as well as an apparent phobia of crowds and public transport. It's just tragic that Lee went after him to continue the discussion. Can't trust anyone not to be armed these days.

I've just had words with Mr Cags, who is generally pretty chilled but can be a bit, erm, assertive sometimes in the car. I swear we argue more when driving through cities than any other time* and you just don't know how people might react. Best to live and let live, literally.

EDIT *apart from in Ikea if the kids are with us. Never ends well.

Last edited:
LP was known to be a paranoid schizophrenic, were the people close to him aware that he was carrying a knife, did he usually carry a weapon?
‘Knifeman on train was a paranoid schizophrenic’
"Pencille’s mother Ingrid Robertson yesterday said her son was in his 20s when she was told he was a paranoid schizophrenic. She said he had been admitted to hospital on a few occasions, had a ‘fear of crowds’, and struggled on public transport — sometimes ringing her in a panic saying he ‘needed to get off quickly’. ‘He always thought people were looking at him or wanted to do something to him,’ Ms Robertson told the court."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back