GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an insightful and beautiful post, FreddyG.

Guiding words: "Always remember, others may hate you, but those that hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself." (R. Nixon, Farewell Speech, August 1974).

Most often, people don't understand this until it's too late.
Wow. I'm no Nixon fan, but this is put-on-a-sticky-note worthy.

Trial date set for Markel murder suspects

"Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua are set to go on trial September 23rd. Both were in court Tuesday."

"Markel's ex-wife Wendi Adelson and her family have not been charged and, through a lawyer, have proclaimed their innocence.

Prosecutors estimate the trial of Garcia and Magbanua will take three weeks. Defense attorneys estimate the trial could take four to six weeks."

Trial date set for Markel murder suspects

"Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua are set to go on trial September 23rd. Both were in court Tuesday."

"Markel's ex-wife Wendi Adelson and her family have not been charged and, through a lawyer, have proclaimed their innocence.

Prosecutors estimate the trial of Garcia and Magbanua will take three weeks. Defense attorneys estimate the trial could take four to six weeks."

Unbelievable.

@SeesSeas - any court dates (yet) before trial?

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif

@SeesSeas - any court dates (yet) before trial?

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif
https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/public/online_services/search_courts/process.asp

37 2016 CF 003036 A - STATE OF FLORIDA vs MAGBANUA, KATHERINE D
Event Date Start Location Judge Result Source
JURY NON JURY TRIAL 9/23/2019 8:30 AM HANKINSON JIS
[PRETRIAL HEARING] 9/19/2019 1:30 PM HANKINSON JIS
[PRETRIAL HEARING] 9/4/2019 10:30 AM HANKINSON JIS

Docket Date Docket Code Docket Text
6/18/2019 CTCMJIS COURT MINUTES BM
6/18/2019 MOTN ‹‹-Req MOTION MOTION FOR PROTECTIVE ORDER JIS
6/18/2019 TRST TRIAL SET E-FILED: 09/23/2019 08:30 AM---JURY JIS
6/18/2019 PTST PRETRIAL HEARING SET: E-FILED: 09/04/2019 10:30 AM ROOM - 3A JIS
6/18/2019 CTCM COURT MINUTES JIS
6/18/2019 PTST PRETRIAL HEARING SET: E-FILED: PRETRIAL HEARING SET: 09/19/2019 01:30PM /ROOM# 3A JIS
6/19/2019 ODER ‹‹-Req ORDER ORDER TO SEAL JIS

37 2016 CF 001581 A - STATE OF FLORIDA vs GARCIA, SIGFREDO
Event Date Start Location Judge Result Source
JURY NON JURY TRIAL 9/23/2019 8:30 AM HANKINSON JIS
[PRETRIAL HEARING] 9/19/2019 1:30 PM HANKINSON JIS
[PRETRIAL HEARING] 9/4/2019 10:30 AM HANKINSON JIS

Docket Date Docket Code Docket Text
6/18/2019 CTCMJIS COURT MINUTES BM
6/18/2019 ORGR ‹‹-Req ORDER GRANTING Order Granting DEFENDANTS MOTION TO INCUR ADDITIONAL COSTS FOR CRIME SCENE EXPERT JIS
6/18/2019 TRST TRIAL SET E-FILED: 09/23/2019 08:30 AM---JURY JIS
6/18/2019 PTST PRETRIAL HEARING SET: E-FILED: 09/04/2019 10:30 AM ROOM - 3A JIS
6/18/2019 CTCM COURT MINUTES JIS
6/18/2019 PTST PRETRIAL HEARING SET: E-FILED: PRETRIAL HEARING SET: 09/19/2019 01:30PM /ROOM# 3A JIS
6/19/2019 ODER ‹‹-Req ORDER ORDER TO SEAL JIS

VIDEO
Two defendants in the murder of former FSU professor set to go to trial
(WCJB) - A man and woman accused of killing FSU law professor Dan Markel in a murder-for-hire plot are set to go to trial on September 23rd.

FSU+MURDER+VO.jpg

Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua have been implicated in the plot by a third defendant who cut a deal with prosecutors.

The family of the dead man has been implicated but not charged in the plot.

Ex-wife Wendi Adelson has been ordered to allow a deposition by the defense.

For those who know crim law better than I do, isn't it awfully incriminating that WA and her lawyers are making such an issue of preserving her ability to take the 5th? My sense is that the prosecution will call her just to give background about the divorce, but if she had nothing to do with the murder then why is she concerned that her answers in the defense deposition may tend to incriminate her? Put another way, if her public position is right (I.e., she and her family had nothing to do with this) then how would it be possible that anything the prosecution or defense might ask her would incriminate her? Of course she has the right to take the 5th but from a practical point of view it seems inconsistent with her whole (implausible) theory of the case and her (and CA's and DA's) total innocence.

My guess is that WA was totally unaware of the assassination initially, but soon after found out that family was involved. If she is questioned under oath, and is asked if she discussed it with her mother or Charlie, it would no doubt implicate them or perjurer herself, hence the 5th.

Last edited:
My guess is that WA was totally unaware of the assassination initially, but soon after found out that family was involved. If she is questioned under oath, and is asked if she discussed it with her mother or Charlie, it would no doubt implicate them or perjurer herself, hence the 5th.
Welcome to Ws rgrene!

There ya go!

I don't know, I followed this from the beginning and listened over and over to video of Wendy and others and the one thing I can't get past is her need to drive by that day right after the murder to the other side of town to pick up a bottle of Bulliet bourbon which is a good brand but not hard to find. It is fishy, her story on that.

I don't know, I followed this from the beginning and listened over and over to video of Wendy and others and the one thing I can't get past is her need to drive by that day right after the murder to the other side of town to pick up a bottle of Bulliet bourbon which is a good brand but not hard to find. It is fishy, her story on that.
I don't know. But the elder Markel's were also thinking along this line, and had very early on, approached the local child service department for this possibility.
I hope you are right. The boys, at least, would get to know the better half of the family.

I didn't realize until recent posts here that the emails between Donna Adelson and Wendi Adelson had been released... at least I am assuming they were, because portions of them have been quoted in recent articles.
Does anyone have a link to where the emails can be read?

Last edited:
I didn't realize until recent posts here that the emails between Donna Adelson and Wendi Adelson had been released... at least I am assuming they were, because portions of them have been quoted in recent articles.
Does anyone have a link to where the emails can be read?
Offhand, some info in this link..
A Professor's Murder in Tallahassee Was a Contract Hit, Prosecutors Say
"In the 15 months preceding what investigators say was a "murder for hire," Dan Markel's ex-mother-in-law, Donna Adelson, had sent her only daughter a flurry of emails. They were pointed and vitriolic, filled with hatred for her son-in-law.

She called the man with two Harvard degrees an "idiot," a "," and a "*advertiser censored*."

"You suffered under his 'reign,'" Donna wrote to her daughter, Dan's ex-wife Wendi, in May 2013. "Narcissistic personality disorder causes major problems in a marriage."

Donna continued by derogatorily calling Dan "Jibbers" for his habit of talking incessantly and "Elvis" for what she perceived as his swollen self-regard.

She concluded the email, "I'm too angry to write any more. I'm going to shower, wash my hair, and get ready for you and the boys to come home."

The email is one of hundreds of thousands of documents, CDs, and photos of evidence in a file in the Leon County Courthouse in Tallahassee, where Sigfredo Garcia, age 37, and Kathy Magbanua, his 34-year-old, on-again, off-again girlfriend and the mother of his two children, will soon face trial on first-degree murder charges."

@dotr, thanks for the reply. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've seen all of that... that's why I want to read the rest of it! I wonder if one would have to go to the courthouse? No one has set up an electronic repository similar to other big trials (Casey Anthony, Jodi Arias)?

I am still waiting for the arrest of Charlie or Donna. It still may happen

Wendi may be the one that drops the smoking gun so LE can arrest them. She fought really hard to stay off the witness stand! She must know something.

I am still waiting for the arrest of Charlie or Donna. It still may happen

Wendi may be the one that drops the smoking gun so LE can arrest them. She fought really hard to stay off the witness stand! She must know something.
As someone who has been following the paper trail and other evidence, I am waiting for the arrests not only of Charlie and Donna but Grandpa and Wendi. That this has not happened yet is one of the worst injustices and delays I've ever seen in our court system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie