Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. Typically for undergraduates Fall/Spring term 12 credit hours= full time, Summer 9 credit hours= full time

Graduates: fall/spring term 9 credit hours= full time, summer 6 credit hours= full time (with exceptions that 3 credit hours of dissertation or thesis work is full time during all terms)

Home - Catalog - The University of Utah

(Ah!!! So I did learn more in college than just learning how to smoke pot out of a toilet paper roll!)

We are allowed to post the victim's public facebook page only, is my understanding. ......I can be wrong....... I sure would like to know if WS is now allowing us to post all these other SM sites now ?????

I've seen all types of SM accts posted here--from FB, to Twitter, to IG, to FetLife and everything in between.

This is a good train of thought. Perhaps if there’s a GPS record of her previous trips, it possibly could lend insight as to whom she may have been meeting, if this was not their first encounter.
That's my thoughts too. I was hoping someone knew what age her car was so that we would know if there's gps on it. Where she drove and got rides the last few weeks are important.

I don't think there was intent to harm. Meeting at the park after a flight, he had to know she'd be taking a Lyft or Uber; she probably told him she was. He had to know he and his car would be seen. I think this was a planned meet-up with someone she knew or had been in online contact with for a while and things went downhill for some reason - accident or not.
If there was no intent to harm then why hasn't this person come forward to explain what happened?

MOD NOTE

The venmo account seems to be open to the public to view. I don't have a venmo account and I can see it. This doesn't seem different from posting a link to Kenzie's public instagram or FB pages. There are going to be names on those pages of people who are not Kenzie.

Common sense should tell everyone that we are not going to publicly sleuth the person to whom Kenzie made payments on venmo unless LE tells us that person is a person of interest or a suspect.

As always, you may privately sleuth and privately discuss anything you want. Just don't mention it here on the open thread.

Do NOT discuss moderation on the thread. That results in an automatic TO. If you have a question about moderation, please message any moderator and patiently wait for a response. Alert on the post if you need to.

I am hoping that they confirm male/female of the person she met at the park, his/her description, a vehicle description, release the airport surveillance video, and clear up whether or not there has been any contact by police with LM in the past - vpo's, etc. MOO
BBM Correcting above post to read "ML" (too late to edit) and also adding to my wish list: Sketch of person she met at the park. :) MOO

You have to really feel for this Lyft driver. They pick up and drop off passengers, trying to make some side money to pay the bills. Then something like this happens, and naturally, folks assume they were the last person known with someone like Kenzie and it raises their suspicions.

I know of a couple of people that do Lyft and Uber. On their phones, they have a right to choose who they pick up and given the time of pick up- they do not see the name of the passenger. The last I knew, they did not know the person's destination until they got in the car (two months ago, this was the case)- that was frustrating for someone I know that does it, because he was at the end of his shift, and noticed someone was waiting for a ride for a bit, so he figured he would do it. Well, once they got in the car, he found out their destination was an hour and a half away- he was committed to it, so he had to complete the ride. By the way, they don't get reimbursed for the gas money, which I think is terrible if a passenger is going that far away, the least those driver places could do is reimburse them for the return trip for the gas.

Once they get to their destination, the Lyft/Uber driver signs off once the passenger is out of the car, and they either go to the next destination for another passenger or sign off for the night.

I don't know if this information helps with others questions about how Lyft/Uber works, but figured I would discuss this, to clear up any confusion as to how they work.
This is pretty accurate. As a Uber/Lyft driver, I can say that you do see the passenger's name, but only the first name, no picture. When they request a ride, you have a few seconds to accept, and it only displays their rating, first name and time/distance to their pickup point.
No, the Lyft driver cannot change the destination. This is already in the Lyft system- the driver chooses which passengers to pick up, in terms of their location. They do not know who the passenger is, where they are going until their passenger is in the car.

LYFT drivers cannot change the destination!
They know the passenger's first name, but that's right, only the passenger can edit their destination or add stops. The driver does not know where the passenger is going at all until they are in the vehicle and they swipe to start the ride.

This is what is so frustrating with that amendment. Most of the time, I am in agreement with it for obvious reasons.

Yet, when we have women and men going missing, and it's out of character for them to do this, it's frustrating that the First Amendment works against LE like this. Their hands are tied completely until the judge approves, which can cost precious time. Even when LE knows in their hearts that something sinister happened to the missing person, they have to wait for valuable information to come to them, before their next step in investigating.

It's a great amendment, but it was never meant for purposes like this, know what I mean? Yes, we all have a right to privacy and I wholeheartedly feel we deserve that right of protection of privacy. Yet times like this, I am sure LE is ready to pull their hair out, and most especially, loved ones and friends on the sideline, with the constant worry and fear on their shoulders, just waiting........

Ugh.

Coming from parents who suffered under fascism in two countries (dad under the Franco dictatorship in Spain, and mom in Nazi-occupied Holland) I am absolutely unwilling to give up my constitutional protections against government intrusion because of cases like this.

Legally that creates a super dangerous slippery slope.

And yes the fourth amendment was meant for all purposes when it comes to an adult's right to privacy as security. ML is an adult. She has a right to privacy. A right to disappear if she wants, free from government intrusion. A right not to put tracking apps on her phone or give access to her passwords to others.

Every adult has to decide for themselves, IMO, whether privacy and freedom overrides safety risks.

I'm an open book when it comes to my loved ones knowing where I am - at least someone knowing at all times - and I expect the same from my family.

But this was her choice. And her right.

You also risk having a cop drive by as it’s literally kitty-korner from the NSL police station. Seems like an odd place to meet up if you intend to cause harm. There are so many other places in NSL where you won’t see cops, just seems like an unneeded risk.

I'm looking at the choice of meeting spot (Hatch Park). In my opinion, the person picking her up would be most likely either from SLC headed north or locally from NSL on the west side.

NSL is split into west side and east side, divided by Interstate 15. The east side is very affluent and the west side is more middle class and lower economic status.
1. If a local person from the east side of NSL wanted to select a park to meet someone, there would be much better east side choices (North Canyon and Tunnel Springs), especially in terms of seclusion and privacy. For a west side person, Hatch would be an obvious choice as there are not any parks on the west side other than at the elementary schools.
2. For a non-local going northward, Hatch would be the first park you come across because although there is not a freeway offramp there, the main surface street coming out of Salt Lake takes you right there.
3. For a non-local going southward, Hatch would not be a natural choice since there is not a freeway offramp and no major surface street leads there.

This is pretty accurate. As a Uber/Lyft driver, I can say that you do see the passenger's name, but only the first name, no picture. When they request a ride, you have a few seconds to accept, and it only displays their rating, first name and time/distance to their pickup point.

They know the passenger's first name, but that's right, only the passenger can edit their destination or add stops. The driver does not know where the passenger is going at all until they are in the vehicle and they swipe to start the ride.
Welcome and that is great information to know about Lyft. Thank you.

The Venmo app thing is solid sleuthing, nice job. 9 days ago - the day before she went missing, right? Or the day of?

To give proper credit, @slcmike posted about this last night/early this morning in the previous thread:

"It looks like her venmo profile is public and the last time she paid someone was 8 days ago.

slcmike, Today at 12:06 AMReport
#130Like+ QuoteReply"

ETA: Correction, slcmike posted earlier in this thread, not the previous thread. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
If there was no intent to harm then why hasn't this person come forward to explain what happened?

Exactly. And that’s one of the reasons I think foul play is more likely than the alternative.

This person has to know that the country is looking for her, yet they continue to remain silent.

Quietly coming forward and explaining yourself (especially if you are married) is better than law enforcement finding you on their own.

They’re coming regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member