Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys just checking in whilst at work so can’t read back through thread at mo. Did he get LWOP?

Jury recommended LWOP for count 1 murder of Joseph, and death penalty for counts 2 - 4, Summer and the boys.

Hasn't been formally sentenced yet. That's at end of September.
Thanks @Tortoise. Why the inconsistent approach do you think for Joey?

I didn't hear him say he was going to investigate the jury's decision.

I heard him say there was one other matter he needed to see them about in chambers, and he invited counsel in to be present for that. That was after he thanked and praised them for the way they had approached both phases of their deliberations. I also heard him say he wants reports prepared by the probation services before sentencing.

Thank you for explaining it so well.

The probation report given to JS will be interesting, and quite revealing imo.

I wonder if the state will have a probation officer testify in front of JS?

Imo, it will show how CM consistently thumbed his nose at the justice system long before he became a quadruple murderer.

Imo, It will show how many times he was a no show which lead to warrants being obtained for him to be picked up for failing to show up.

It seems they will have to testify to get it in to the court record.

Jmho

Thanks @Tortoise. Why the inconsistent approach do you think for Joey?
It's just a guess but I think they believe Joey was killed first or was the first one attacked, and that murder wouldn't have satisfied the requirements for the death penalty but the others do because it then became multiple murders, happening in succession.

It seems to be academic anyway because of the three death penalty verdicts.

imo

It's just a guess but I think they believe Joey was killed first or was the first one attacked, and that murder wouldn't have satisfied the requirements for the death penalty but the others do because it then became multiple murders, happening in succession.

It seems to be academic anyway because of the three death penalty verdicts.

imo

Yes, it may be semantics since the multiple murders was what the state used as the death penalty qualifier.

Until the second murder happened it wasn't multiple murders.

I think the state may have been better using one of the other elements allowed under law for it to rise to the DP option. Iirc, there are about 18 qualifiers to choose one from. In this case the state had many that would have applied.

For example all four murders were extremely cruel, atrocious, and heinous.

Imoo

LOL again at Law & Crime. This time they had a special guest in - attorney Terri Austin - to discuss the penalty verdict. They're stumped because of the eligibility for the DP in California in murders for financial gain. Obviously neither of them watched the trial, to find out what special circumstance was put forward in this case, so I don't know why they continue to waste their time and misdirect their viewers. They seem to have carved out their very own campaign against the prosecution and the jury.

Why didn't they just take the time to watch the jury instructions? Multiple murders was the special circumstance found true by the jury.

These are the qualifiers for the DP in the state of California
(quote)
  • First-degree murder with special circumstances, including:
    • Murder for financial gain
    • Murder where the defendant has a prior conviction for first or second-degree murder
    • Murder of multiple people
    • Murder committed using a bomb or explosives
    • Murder to evade arrest or capture
    • Murder of an on-duty police officer or firefighter
    • Murder of a prosecutor, judge, juror, or elected official in retaliation
    • Murder committed to prevent a witness from testifying in a legal matter
    • Murder committed because of a victim’s race, sexual orientation, gender, or religion
    • Murder committed during the commission of another felony (e.g., burglary, arson, kidnapping, rape, carjacking, torture)
    • Murder committed during a drive-by shooting
    • Murder committed in support of a criminal street gang, and/or
    • Any other murder that is particularly heinous or cruel.
  • Treason
  • Sabotaging a train and causing another person to be killed
  • Assault with a deadly weapon resulting in death while serving a life sentence
  • Intentionally interfering with state preparations to go to war, resulting in someone’s death, and
  • Committing perjury for the sole purpose of causing an innocent person to be convicted and executed.
https://www.safecalifornia.org/california-death-penalty-process/

LOL again at Law & Crime. This time they had a special guest in - attorney Terri Austin - to discuss the penalty verdict. They're stumped because of the eligibility for the DP in California in murders for financial gain. Obviously neither of them watched the trial, to find out what special circumstance was put forward in this case, so I don't know why they continue to waste their time and misdirect their viewers. They seem to have carved out their very own campaign against the prosecution and the jury.

Why didn't they just take the time to watch the jury instructions? Multiple murders was the special circumstance found true by the jury.

Lol! Special guest indeed.

Just another talking head who evidently didn't follow any of the trial.

And of course no one is going to correct them stating what the facts really were. The others seem to be as clueless as they are about the facts of the case.

But, hey, when did the facts ever matter?

It's obvious they didn't follow the trial because financial gain was not what the state used as the DP qualifier.

Is anyone as sick, and disgusted as I am with all of these clueless talking heads that act more like bobble heads?

Jmho

Lol! Special guest indeed.

Just another talking head who evidently didn't follow any of the trial.

And of course no one is going to correct them stating what the facts really were. The others seem to be as clueless as they are about the facts of the case.

But, hey, when did the facts ever matter?

It's obvious they didn't follow the trial because financial gain was not what the state used as the DP qualifier.

Is anyone as sick, and disgusted as I am with all of these clueless talking heads that act more like bobble heads?

Jmho
That's very polite ocean, compared to my own thoughts.

Oceanblueeyes said:
I know this thread will slow down now, but I hope it stays open through at least when he sentenced in September.

Bessie said she will leave this thread open... even though we are over 1,200 posts here.... maybe she'll come by and give us a new thread. :)

oceanblueeyes said:
Does anyone think his jurors will show up in September?

I think a few of them will. I would if I had been on this jury.

I just feel grief.
Just sadness and loss.
Before, it was a fight for justice.
There is no fight anymore.
Just the realization of what this Stupid, greedy, loser thing of a man did to this entire family.
I am not just talking about Joey, Summer and the boys. I am talking about Susan, Mikey, Dad, Patrick, the entire Arranda family and Joey's son from his first marriage.

God Bless each and every one of them.

I have personally put him in my rear view mirror. NOTHING more needs to be said. I will go forward KNOWING that the MS Family's KILLER has been brought to justice. He will NEVER prey upon anyone else in his life.

I’ve never seen a discussion on L&C that led me to believe anyone there does more than watch short clips here & there.
They never got it right during the McStay case.
Who is their target audience ?

it's all largely admin procedure now - so the wheels grind slowly
Bets on a request to postpone the Sept sentencing ?
I can’t help but compare Judge S’s style of handling a trial to others I’ve been watchiing.
The judge in the Wesley Mathews trial ( love her) looks like she could be a famous singer in a music video but is a drill sergeant in handling her court room .
On day one at the first break she told jurors they would have to call love ones to bring them items they would need for a few days , their cell phones were locked up til end of trial & a sheriff’s deputy was with them at all times , no tv’s or phones in their rooms -no questions .
The McStay jurors were given wide latitude with only admonishments & the standard questioning upon return. Schedules revolved around anyone & everyone somehow involved in the trial.
Mathew trial jurors were taken to lunch in the building , required to stay together & had a deputy with them. They were even told lights out by the deputy.
The judge in the Mathews trial handled the Prosecutors & defense team firmly & swiftly , swore in multiple witnesses at a time , threw people out for food or drinks with “ this is not a movie theater”.

Awesome & worth a look .
Can’t help but wonder how long the McStay trial would have been under her !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆