OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charges dropped against Wagner matriarch in Rhoden slayings

"Wagner, 77, had faced a felony charges of obstructing justice and perjury. Prosecutors accused her of lying to a grand jury about two bulletproof vests that were found in her son’s bedroom at her family farm when investigators raided it in May 2017, more than a year after eight members of the Rhoden family were shot to death overnight in four rural Pike County homes. Wagner’s son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons have all pleaded not guilty to eight counts of aggravated murder and related charges, and each could face the death penalty if convicted.

Prosecutor Angela Canepa said there is still work to do in the investigation and authorities did not want to run afoul of Wagner’s right to a speedy trial. Charges could be refiled."

Ok, I heard wrong. AC can still file charges again. Didn't make sense that she would take that option off the table. That's a relief.

I'm guessing AC and team need more help managing all these cases. She can't keep investigating FW while she's preparing for 5 other trials.

Hope this becomes a case of giving more rope to hang thy self with...

The Chillicothe Gazette's article states the reasons for the dismissal, but it wont let me post the direct link.

Chillicothe Gazette | ChillicotheGazette.com

"The dismissal was so prosecution can analyze further NEW AND FAVORABLE evidence without running out of speedy trial time. They can refile and plan to - there's a six-year statute of limitations Angie Canepa said."

JMO...The only thing FW really gained freedom today the ankle bracelets and house arrest. IMO, she is guilty and justice will be served. Just not today.

And to the victims' families, I hope you hold your heads high and do not feel defeated. I will still be praying for you, and even harder.

Great! Thank you, Loomis! Relieved to hear AC plans to refile the charges.

I need to subscribe to the Chilli Gazette for a while, at least until these trials are over.

ETA: Interesting that the new and favorable information the prosecution found came from the defense, when they had to produce their own discovery.

Last edited:
Hope this becomes a case of giving more rope to hang thy self with...

I wonder if seeing FW's charges dropped will spur some people to come forward with more evidence. JMO, the Wagners are not well-liked in Pike County, outside of people they employ or "do business" with. We've certainly not seen anyone (other than employees or former employees) come to their defense in the news media.

The locals are probably wondering if FW and others get off, they also might end up having problems from the W's. From what we've seen from FW so far, she will exact some revenge against anyone who has crossed her, whether financially or otherwise.

Great! Thank you, Loomis! Relieved to hear AC plans to refile the charges.

I need to subscribe to the Chilli Gazette for a while, at least until these trials are over.

ETA: Interesting that the new and favorable information the prosecution found came from the defense, when they had to produce their own discovery.

Came from the defense? Really? Wow, can you say more? I missed that! TIA

Pike County: Charges against Fredericka Wagner dismissed, 'Trust in the Lord,' she said

The dismissal was so the prosecution can analyze further “new and favorable” evidence in the case without running out of speed trial time, according to prosecutors. They can refile and said they plan to. There’s a six-year statute of limitations Prosecutor Angie Canepa said.

The gag order over the case survives the dismissal, per order of Deering.
@Dudly , Let me see if I can understand. On part of prosecution.....is this simply stategy and more productive use of time?

Came from the defense? Really? Wow, can you say more? I missed that! TIA

It's missing from the article now. Let's see if we can find that info in another article. It was just one sentence, pretty much the way I wrote it.

ETA: Here, it's in this article

Pike County: Charges against Fredericka Wagner dismissed, 'Trust in the Lord,' she said

Prosecutors said Wagner had lied during grand jury testimony on July 18, 2018, about where she bought two bulletproof vests. She had testified she bought them on Amazon. Wagner said later she bought them on eBay.

The new information being analyzed presumably stems from what was provided by defense in March which Owen had argued proved Wagner's innocence.

BBM

It's missing from the article now. Let's see if we can find that info in another article. It was just one sentence, pretty much the way I wrote it.

ETA: Here, it's in this article

BBM
The new information presumably provided by the defense! My wheels are spinning on this....what the heck is it. Is she a bit senile and just thought she bought the vests? Did the defense, during their own investigation find evidence that someone else purchased them using her account? Are they letting her go today because they now have something bigger an better? Ugh! Help. :eek:

The prosecution REALLY does not want the identity and/or some of the Grand Jury testimony to be released before the W4's trials.

JMO, MOO, etc.

:):):):):):)
ETA -

BCI Agent Schneider (sp?) was subpoenaed by FW on May 20th. The prosecution may not have wanted him on the stand just yet. Especially as a witness for the defense.

https://www.pikecountycpcourt.org/eservices/home.page.2

Just to add, maybe they have dismissed FW's charges (for now), so that her charges and her fate may be used later as a bargaining chip if someone rolls. Also, much more information is bound to come at the W4 trials.

This is like a reality version of chess...

:):):):) * :):) * ;)

Special Prosecutor Angie Canepa disagreed with Owen's view on the dismissal which was done so investigators can further analyze "new and favorable" evidence without expending speedy trial time which would run out on Aug. 3. Unlike other family members charged in relation to the Rhoden murder case, Wagner had not waived speedy trial time and had been set to go to trial on July 29.

Thank you Betty P for sharing the link. I think FW thought she had made a great strategy move by not waving a speedy trail and it may have been her undoing. The prosecution now has 6 years to re-file charges after the other 5 trails and hopefully guilty verdicts. The only way this will work in her favor is if she dies before she is re-prosecuted. I do have concerns with her being able t visit all members of her family and free to travel about the community with a potential jury pool.

The gag order only applies to the attorney. Since the charges against FW have been dropped, she's free to say what she wants.

JMO, I don't think it will have any affect on the W4 cases. There is substantial evidence against them, a HUGE amount. That wasn't the case for FW, they really only had the issue over her purchase of the BPV's.

Because the charges were dismissed with prejudice, it means the charges can't be brought again. Wonder why AC agreed to that? o_O

I'm going to say it again - I think AC needs some help prosecuting all these cases. It's too much work for one person. Junk is not helping out, nor should he.

It’s being reported by MSM that the charges were dropped without prejudice which means it CAN be brought up again later. Maybe they are waiting for something more substantial to come out in the W4 trials.

Special Prosecutor Angie Canepa disagreed with Owen's view on the dismissal which was done so investigators can further analyze "new and favorable" evidence without expending speedy trial time which would run out on Aug. 3. Unlike other family members charged in relation to the Rhoden murder case, Wagner had not waived speedy trial time and had been set to go to trial on July 29.

Thank you Betty P for sharing the link. I think FW thought she had made a great strategy move by not waving a speedy trail and it may have been her undoing. The prosecution now has 6 years to re-file charges after the other 5 trails and hopefully guilty verdicts. The only way this will work in her favor is if she dies before she is re-prosecuted. I do have concerns with her being able t visit all members of her family and free to travel about the community with a potential jury pool.
Prosecutors could file charges again in the future. But it's still a setback. If that case against her were really strong in the first place, the outcome would have been different.

We said it before. It looked weak and possibly motivated to pressure her. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73