Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article states it was in the Tweed branch and he was there 01-02- I just stated he had worked at Byron as it is a Byron Paper. So he could have been there in 2997

Have listened so far to only 15 minutes of Conversations 9 and can tell you Bryan Seymour and Alison Sandy are right back on their game.

Channel 7's legal quest to have Marion's case file released to Sally appears to have reached a very interesting impasse.

On the one hand the police are saying, no Sally, you can't have the case file because the case is 'open and on-going'. But on the other, the police are refusing to have Marion listed as a missing person because they claim she isn't, and are also refusing to endorse Sally's interaction with other agencies who may be able to assist in finding Marion.

The police sound very much like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too, and it may well come back to bite them when the finding is handed down.

Have listened so far to only 15 minutes of Conversations 9 and can tell you Bryan Seymour and Alison Sandy are right back on their game.

Channel 7's legal quest to have Marion's case file released to Sally appears to have reached a very interesting impasse.

On the one hand the police are saying, no Sally, you can't have the case file because the case is 'open and on-going'. But on the other, the police are refusing to have Marion listed as a missing person because they claim she isn't, and are also refusing to endorse Sally's interaction with other agencies who may be able to assist in finding Marion.

The police sound very much like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too, and it may well come back to bite them when the finding is handed down.
I wonder what sort of case it is that is "open and on-going" if it isn't a missing person case. Homicide? Fraud? Harrassment, with estranged-from-family Marion as the complainant?

I wonder what sort of case it is that is "open and on-going" if it isn't a missing person case. Homicide? Fraud? Harrassment, with estranged-from-family Marion as the complainant?
I think the file is 'active' because sally rings and demands action so they do regular checks. Doesn't mean the police think there is anything suspicious.

Just checked the unclaimed money site and Marion's money in the UK is listed even though this is an Australian site.

Find unclaimed money | ASIC's MoneySmart

Just put Barter in. Result is second on the list. The drop down menu says the money is from the Commonwealth Bank.
Marion also has over a 100000 in superannuation, however in the latest conversion, sally says she won't benefit from a finding of Marion being deceased, which is obviously untrue because the super and the $14000 in the bank cant be touched until a finding of deceased which means she will benefit.

The whole thing just doesn't quite add up.

1/ Are the police only claiming the case is still open to prohibit Sally from getting hold of a copy of Marion's police file, and as a continuation of them assisting Marion to remain, by choice, estranged from her family and previous life?

2/ Is it simply just ongoing incompetence of the police and their petty defensiveness of that making them not want Marion's file being released?

3/ Is it something a whole lot more sinister, that the police are in the know about, and for whatever reason, don't want anybody else to know about?

Marion also has over a 100000 in superannuation, however in the latest conversion, sally says she won't benefit from a finding of Marion being deceased, which is obviously untrue because the super and the $14000 in the bank cant be touched until a finding of deceased which means she will benefit.

I try not to be critical of Sally herself, because it serves no purpose in solving the case. But I too thought Sally's statement that she "had nothing to gain because there is nothing left" was questionable.

I found the latest conversations episode really enlightening in the respect that I hadn’t realised prior just how much it seems that sally believes her mum is dead. I know they’ve talked about it previously but the discussion about the coronial inquest really hit home.

Do you mean a harassment case against her family? I’m pretty sure the family would be aware if they were being investigated - law enforcement would have interviewed them.

It would be brilliant if the police would say what the open case is. It HAS to be missing persons but then if they admit that then they’re admitting that their whole case has been totally bungled.

The whole thing just doesn't quite add up.

1/ Are the police only claiming the case is still open to prohibit Sally from getting hold of a copy of Marion's police file, and as a continuation of them assisting Marion to remain, by choice, estranged from her family and previous life?

2/ Is it simply just ongoing incompetence of the police and their petty defensiveness of that making them not want Marion's file being released?

3/ Is it something a whole lot more sinister, that the police are in the know about, and for whatever reason, don't want anybody else to know about?
I personally think it’s your first option but that police have realised they can no longer be confident they Marion is safe and well because whatever evidence they had was flimsy and is now very dated.

Do you mean a harassment case against her family? I’m pretty sure the family would be aware if they were being investigated - law enforcement would have interviewed them.

It would be brilliant if the police would say what the open case is. It HAS to be missing persons but then if they admit that then they’re admitting that their whole case has been totally bungled.
Yes, that's what I meant.

Am I understanding this right: that Sally is arguing that Marion is dead and the police are refusing to say one way or another or whether they don't know? Or do police say she's alive but won't give grounds for the opinion?

Yes, that's what I meant.

Am I understanding this right: that Sally is arguing that Marion is dead and the police are refusing to say one way or another or whether they don't know? Or do police say she's alive but won't give grounds for the opinion?

As I understand it - Sally thinks something untoward has happened to her mum, maybe someone coerced her or exercised influenced over her with the name change and then she's subsequently met with foul play. That is me interpreting what she's said so far and not me directly quoting her.

The police are saying they think Marion left of her own accord and therefore won't investigate her disappearance. The current detective admits to never having sighted her or spoken to her though. The implication through the redacted documents is that maybe there is some evidence that she did leave but without knowing what that is it's hard to say how much that evidence is bullet proof. So yes, as you say they say she's alive but won't give grounds for an opinion. BUT then the kicker on that is that they still say it's an open case, and we're all wondering what the logic in that is.

All of this is my interpretation of the information we've been given in the podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell