Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #10 *Still Missing*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the Jury is not sequestered. They have instructions to not watch or read any media on the case (which I would assume that means that none of them are lurking here [unfortunately] as well), and I would assume that order applies to the interval between the guilt phase and the penalty phase. Interestingly, I wonder if that also applies to following court filings in this case as well...........

That would seem a pretty difficult task..seeing as how it's on every local news channel.

Oh so that was meant to be a secret motion and it was released in error this says.

"Oddly, the 17 page court motion that describes all of this was meant to be sealed. Somehow on Tuesday the filing was publicly available on a district court database and downloaded by the AP before it could be locked back up.

In an unsealed and still-public filing, Christensen's attorneys are also asking Judge James Shadid to block much of the evidence used at trial from being repeated during the death penalty phase.

His attorneys want the judge to forbid any reference to Christensen's refusal to locate the body, and block the replaying of undercover FBI audio tapes in which grisly admissions are heard."

Ok so can they get his confessions about the other '12' murders he has committed and the location of YY's remains first and then decide on the death penalty? If he gives up that then consider leniency, not before.
All these motions are just BS.
MOO.

So sentence him to death now. Future appeal only to be considered in the event of new info about the above. That should loosen his lips maybe.

Ok so can they get his confessions about the other '12' murders he has committed and the location of YY's remains first and then decide on the death penalty? If he gives up that then consider leniency, not before.
All these motions are just BS.
MOO.

So sentence him to death now. Future appeal only to be considered in the event of new info about the above. That should loosen his lips maybe.
they got nothing on the alleged other 12.
BUT, they just sent his DNA in March, they're still awaiting checks. I'm not sure they tried very hard, quite honestly.
Apparently it cannot be considered by the jury.
@trunkizback , I do sleep, for hrs and hrs and hrs until cat decides enough... She's in charge, she's 22.

So because that secret motion has come out- could that be a reason for a mistrial?

The jurors are the same and have already heard most of this evidence haven't they?
Are they allowed to read court motions? I know they must keep away from media but this isn't media so are they allowed to read these?

Last edited:
So because that secret motion has come out- could that be a reason for a mistrial?

The jurors are the same and have already heard most of this evidence haven't they?
Are they allowed to read court motions? I know they must keep away from media but this isn't media so are they allowed to read these?
Good question, I was wondering myself... unlikely but interesting to read what they write when they think nobody is watching. I assume the leak is the responsibility of the defense and the defense only. They tripped themselves up, the prosecution is probably laughing...

Murderer of visiting Chinese scholar found guilty in the US; death penalty sought - Global Times

Zhang's father said he further hoped that justice will be done in the sentencing scheduled on July 8 when the same jury will decide whether the death penalty would be imposed, media reported.

The conviction has also cheered Chinese netizens, with many strongly calling for the death penalty on Christensen. The topic, "the suspect in Zhang Yingying case was found guilty of murder," had been viewed 150 million times as of press time.

The process was "very fast," which means there was no dispute within the jury and the evidence was conclusive, Wang Taihe, a trial lawyer, was quoted as saying by The Beijing News on Wednesday.

"The fast conviction gave prosecutors more confidence in seeking the death penalty (against Christensen)," Wang said.

Question.
Whereas I'm beginning to despair of YingYing's body ever being located, I feel constantly 'niggled' that we haven't even imagined what exactly it was that he pre-prepared for that stage of his ghastly plan.
I know we've talked about it, almost endlessly but if we looked at it again with fresh minds and new information, does anything new suggest itself?
He knew he would do it day after he googled the best way to remove blood from sheets and things.
Christensen is left-handed (
I noticed that detail recently in a credile document and I stored it for some strange reason)

In his fantasy world, he had imagined many times the finer details of how he would do this murder.
The evidence of that is in his computer history, his fetlife conversations etc

He told his therapist he had 'bought some things'
We know he bought a bag.
What were the other things and were these 'things' in relation to the capture, torture or disposal of the body?

I just don't think we have learnt anything new about BC.
We saw him sulk and look away when TB was testifying.

That really shows his personality.

Then he beamed while Michelle was testifying although it was reported she didn't look in his direction once, unlike her previous testimony.

He was happy because SHE was there for him. Narcissist.

He's immature, it's possible and likely his disposal choice is on the same bandwidth.

Oh so that was meant to be a secret motion and it was released in error this says.

"Oddly, the 17 page court motion that describes all of this was meant to be sealed. Somehow on Tuesday the filing was publicly available on a district court database and downloaded by the AP before it could be locked back up.

In an unsealed and still-public filing, Christensen's attorneys are also asking Judge James Shadid to block much of the evidence used at trial from being repeated during the death penalty phase.

His attorneys want the judge to forbid any reference to Christensen's refusal to locate the body, and block the replaying of undercover FBI audio tapes in which grisly admissions are heard."

I don’t know why they are reporting that it was meant to be sealed. It is still available, and nothing on the filing indicates that it is supposed to be sealed.

I don’t know why they are reporting that it was meant to be sealed. It is still available, and nothing on the filing indicates that it is supposed to be sealed.
It makes sense that it should have been sealed because it's contents started a storm.
It makes equal sense that it was done deliberately in order to sway public opinion and cause confusion doubt and disturance to the extent that the family were impelled to counteract it,and re-stated their confidence in the prosecution.
It makes sense to say it was an accident.
They went too far, sealed or not. Horrible energy manifested and laid bare.
They heard that woman cry and keen the day before.
It was not her intention but it was the most powerful public expression of the awfulness of the crime.

I guess once it's out there they can't put it back in the box. I'm just commenting on what MSM have said that it should not have come out. So what else has not come out I wonder too.

Kitty is saying maybe it was deliberate, but that would be unlikely I would think. The court would know ahead of time if it was a secret motion or not and deal with it appropriately. I cannot see them making a big mistake like that but if it was the defense 'forgetting' to make it a secret motion, I would imagine a storm coming either way. The judge won't like either games or a mistake IMO.

Last edited:
,they were selected for a reason, they follow rules, no ?

I spent many years working 2nd shift. 3pm to midnight. One year a team I follow was in the World series. Since the games normally start around 7pm , I would record them and then try and get home to watch without hearing who won. It's harder than you'd think.
I guess my point is...what if one of the jurors hears of this without consciously meaning to? I think this is the defenses plan. My god, these are the most scummy people I've ever seen. I mean, they're upset that YY's mother would dare to cry??? I so hope this judge drops the hammer in them

A series of responses have just come in.
I'll link them here

https://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/documents/2019/062619-wls-christensen-body-doc.pdf
(17 pages) DEFEnse

GOV response- Response to Motion – #423 in United States v. Christensen (C.D. Ill., 2:17-cr-20037) – CourtListener.com
In his motion, the defendant seeks to prevent the United States from playing the Memorial Walk recording (Exhibit 29) during the penalty phase. The defendant argues playing the recording during the penalty phase would be “more prejudicial than probative.” The recording has already been admitted into evidence and published without objection. For the reasons discussed herein, the defendant’s motion should be denied

For example, the United States was required to prove certain elements during the guilt phase in order to satisfy the elements of Count One, namely that the defendant held the victim and that the kidnapping resulted in her death. During the penalty phase, the United States will be required to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the crime was committed in a heinous, cruel, or depraved manner, that the defendant lacks remorse, that the defendant poses a risk of future dangerousness, and that the defendant obstructed the investigation. On other words, Exhibit 29 is important in each phase for different reasons, and the manner in which the parties will address and argue the recording will be different

The defendant also objected to the jury reviewing the recordings or the transcripts during deliberations. After the verdict was returned, the Court delayed the penalty phase for two weeks at the defendant’s request and over the United States’ objection. By the time the penalty phase begins on July 8, 2019, it will have been over three weeks since the jury heard Exhibit 29 in its entirety. Forcing the jury to rely entirely on their memory for the nuances of an approximately 90-minute recording would limit their ability to meaningfully consider the evidence. See Runyon, 707 F.3d at 491 (noting that while a defendant in a capital case “may wish to severely cabin the jury’s sentencing discretion by restricting the evidence it may hear and the inferences it may draw, the FDPA anticipates that the jury will confront a broad array of information and enjoy considerable leeway in assessing it.”). Limiting the presentation of evidence would also prejudice the United States in its ability to prove the statutory and non-statutory aggravating factors. Id. at

yet another motion in limine from defense in too
In Limine – #425 in United States v. Christensen (C.D. Ill., 2:17-cr-20037) – CourtListener.com
MOTION TO PRECLUDE IMPROPER CROSS-EXAMINATION OR REBUTTAL OF TESTIMONY OF DR. JONATHAN SORENSEN WITH IRRELEVANT AND/OR PREJUDICIAL ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE, OR FOR DISCOVERY AND A HEARING CONCERNING ADMISSIBILITY OF SUCH EVIDENCE

The notice informed the government that Dr. Jonathan Sorensen will testify concerning studies and data which, inter alia, demonstrate the low base rates of violence in the Bureau of Prisons, as well as other factors, similarly suggesting the improbability of Mr. Christensen committing acts of violence in prison, constituting such “a continuing and serious threat.” The notice referenced several published articles, authored by Dr. Sorensen, which had been previously cited in Mr. Christensen’s Motion to Strike Aggravating Factor Alleging Future Dangerousness, Dkt. 122, at 7-8, n. 2-4, and offered to provide copies of the same upon request.1 In response to the government’s motion to exclude this evidence, see Dkt. 265, the defense noted that the Sorens

Whooops!

We weren't supposed to know the details of the plea discussions

Oh wellll.....

Ben Zigterman on Twitter

And now both sides can offer it in evidence at the penalty phase....

Public defender Elisabeth Pollock said she accidentally posted document with plea offer. (1/5)

1:11 PM - 27 Jun 2019

1 reply3 retweets7 likes

1. New conversation

2. Ben Zigterman‏ @bzigterman 2h2 hours ago
      Said she filed it for another defense attorney and didn't catch the plea offer paragraph (2/5)

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

3. Ben Zigterman‏ @bzigterman 2h2 hours ago
      Said prosecution called her and asked if she realized the mention. She said she said, "no" followed by some expletives and immediately asked the court clerk to take the document down (3/5)

1 reply1 retweet1 like

4. Ben Zigterman‏ @bzigterman 2h2 hours ago
      She said it was not an intentional effort to make the offer public, as the prosecution apparently alleged in a sealed document bc they were quickly contacted by a reporter (me). (4/5)

1 reply0 retweets1 like

5. Ben Zigterman‏ @bzigterman 2h2 hours ago
      Judge Shadid said the plea offer would be allowed to be mentioned at the penalty phase by both sides (5/5)

0 replies3 retweets4 likes

I guess once it's out there they can't put it back in the box. I'm just commenting on what MSM have said that it should not have come out. So what else has not come out I wonder too.

Kitty is saying maybe it was deliberate, but that would be unlikely I would think. The court would know ahead of time if it was a secret motion or not and deal with it appropriately. I cannot see them making a big mistake like that but if it was the defense 'forgetting' to make it a secret motion, I would imagine a storm coming either way. The judge won't like either games or a mistake IMO.

It was an accident, evidently

The Motion was taken down from the PACER site.... but as of two hours ago, it was still available on CourtListener

They announced it is a mistake ? Any trickery to retrial/appeal if bc is sentenced to death ,?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288